Recoil springs and guide rod, whacha use? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Recoil springs and guide rod, whacha use?

dbow
06-21-2012, 10:32
LWD stainless steel guide rod with ISMI 22 lb spring. So far works well with hot ammo. :wow:

alwaysshootin
06-21-2012, 10:47
LWD stainless steel guide rod with ISMI 22 lb spring. So far works well with hot ammo. :wow:

Bought the same set up for my hunting load on my G20. Found it runs great with target loads for the G20, and, in my G21, with anything I've fired through it. Of course, both run fine with the factory set up, just throws my brass further, and more is lost in a range session.

dbow
06-21-2012, 11:02
yeah mine is setup for hunting to. However i'm looking at idpa with underwod 135 grain jhp.

GotFour
06-21-2012, 19:25
I'm running a 6" KKM in my G-20 that has been MagNaPorted (2 slots), and I am loading a fairly warm 200 grn XTP over 800X at 1,290 fps. To manage recoil I've tried several captive spring options including tungsten that are now relegated to the parts bucket along with a lot of other worthless s*%t that I've tried along the way (hey, tinkering's part of the fun). I finally ended up using a Wolff 20lb spring and a Wolff stainless guiderod that gives me 100% function and cases that don't fly into the next zip code. I'm guessing that I was able to use the 20# set-up vs a heavier option because of the porting. BTW, contary to MagNaPort's claims I did lose about 40fps after the porting but that's rather inconsequential in the scheme of things. I do highly recommend the OEM Glock extended slide release when using the heavier springs, so much so that I've installed them on all of my stock Glocks as well (why didn't they come this way??).

dbow
06-21-2012, 20:03
I'm running a 6" KKM in my G-20 that has been MagNaPorted (2 slots), and I am loading a fairly warm 200 grn XTP over 800X at 1,290 fps. To manage recoil I've tried several captive spring options including tungsten that are now relegated to the parts bucket along with a lot of other worthless s*%t that I've tried along the way (hey, tinkering's part of the fun). I finally ended up using a Wolff 20lb spring and a Wolff stainless guiderod that gives me 100% function and cases that don't fly into the next zip code. I'm guessing that I was able to use the 20# set-up vs a heavier option because of the porting. BTW, contary to MagNaPort's claims I did lose about 40fps after the porting but that's rather inconsequential in the scheme of things. I do highly recommend the OEM Glock extended slide release when using the heavier springs, so much so that I've installed them on all of my stock Glocks as well (why didn't they come this way??).

yeah i need one of those extended slide releases too. How do you like your kkm? I'm going to be getting a 6" kkm next week or so. I've heard they are awesome but you have more feed failures due to the nats *** specs. I've had only a couple ff due to limp wristing, well, that's after about 40 rds of 200 grain underwood.

swinokur
06-22-2012, 06:17
Factory weight Wolff spring and SS Guide rods in both G20SF and G29SF.

Total reliability

I shoot Underwood 1300 FPS 180g GD JHP for SD

GotFour
06-22-2012, 07:15
yeah i need one of those extended slide releases too. How do you like your kkm? I'm going to be getting a 6" kkm next week or so. I've heard they are awesome but you have more feed failures due to the nats *** specs. I've had only a couple ff due to limp wristing, well, that's after about 40 rds of 200 grain underwood.

KKM= accurate/full case support/100% function

PLINKING.40
06-22-2012, 16:03
Factory weight Wolff spring and SS Guide rods in both G20SF and G29SF.

Total reliability

I shoot Underwood 1300 FPS 180g GD JHP for SD

I was going to ask that question, I just put in a LWD steel guide rod with a 17lb stock weight in my G20, i wanted to stay at 17lbs, until I get to see how it functions with Hot 1600fps, down to tame paper loads.

dbow
06-22-2012, 18:20
I was going to ask that question, I just put in a LWD steel guide rod with a 17lb stock weight in my G20, i wanted to stay at 17lbs, until I get to see how it functions with Hot 1600fps, down to tame paper loads.

yeah i wanted to stay stock too, but hot loads were busting up my frame.