How many languages do you speak? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How many languages do you speak?

RWBlue
06-21-2012, 18:12
How many languages do you speak?

You may not think of this as a prep, but with all the Spanish speaking people around, I am thinking of trying to learn Spanish again. One day I may need something desperately and if the person who has only speaks Spanish.....

There is also a good looking girl that I am interested in and she speaks Spanish and a little (very little) English.

Wil Ufgood
06-21-2012, 18:16
Brother for a HOT chick I'd learn Swahili! Seriously two languages fluently, can communicate fairly well in four. It is helpful at times.

jph02
06-21-2012, 18:28
I speak one language and a very little bit of two others. I think learning Spanish makes a lot of sense, especially depending on where you're located. And I think a good looking girl is excellent motivation. :D

DoctaGlockta
06-21-2012, 19:20
Other than English I speak a little Spanish. Enough to get buy if I had too. Some French but forgot most of it - could pick that back up however it I had too. French is basically useless I know.

MadMonkey
06-21-2012, 19:21
Does pig Latin count?

Wil Ufgood
06-21-2012, 19:25
Other than English I speak a little Spanish. Enough to get buy if I had too. Some French but forgot most of it - could pick that back up however it I had too. French is basically useless I know.

Actually the term "Je me rends" is understood around the globe :whistling:

GlocknSpiehl
06-21-2012, 19:32
Two fluently, a third passably, a fourth barely. My wife embarresses me by being fluent in four and passable in two more.

Warp
06-21-2012, 19:42
One.

And I really need to learn Spanish.

My wife is probably minimally functional with Spanish, at least.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-21-2012, 20:02
Norwegian, German, and American English.

quake
06-21-2012, 20:06
I speak one language and a very little bit of two others. I think learning Spanish makes a lot of sense, especially depending on where you're located. And I think a good looking girl is excellent motivation. :D

This for me. English and some spanish & french. Spanish both from high school and from living a lot of years down south. French from high school and because it affects my wife much the same as tequila does. :drinkie:

mikeflys1
06-21-2012, 20:30
English, but estoy estudiando Espanol.

bdcochran
06-21-2012, 22:49
German, some Spanish, used to know 3 of the Japanese writing systems. Studying French over 2 hours a day at this time.

Blond French girlfriend is fluent in English, Spanish, Italian.:whistling:

cyrsequipment
06-22-2012, 04:07
None, someday I hope to learn English and whatever freakin' language my wife speaks though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NDCent
06-22-2012, 05:01
For Espaņol press 2 before posting.

UneasyRider
06-22-2012, 05:27
I guess I speak passable english and enough spanish to get buy. I lived with a central american girl for a couple of years as a young man and that helped.

Languages are easy, Obama learned English as a second language.

pugman
06-22-2012, 07:20
There is also a good looking girl that I am interested in and she speaks Spanish and a little (very little) English.

As long as she understands the "key" words in English do you really need to learn Spanish to get her to cook, clean and ah...you know :supergrin::supergrin:

And besides, the language of love knows no barriers!

As for me one which is pathetic; I barely (and I mean barely) speak Spanish. One of my wife's biggest regrets is not keeping up with the 4 years of Spanish she took in high school.

ScaryWoody
06-22-2012, 07:45
I speak American, Canadian, Australian, English and a little Ebonics. SUP!

Dbltapglock
06-22-2012, 08:55
delete

TACLOAD
06-22-2012, 09:40
English, Arabic(Gulf Dialect), some Korean and Spanish when I get in a pinch. Since I'm not using the arabic on a daily basis anymore, its slowly fading away.

wjv
06-22-2012, 09:57
1/4 - 1/2

powderhead
06-22-2012, 11:40
I'm fluent in Pig Latin and speak passable English.

SevenSixtyTwo
06-22-2012, 19:02
English, very little Spanish and I spoke French one time when I accidentally stuck my finger in the fan on my ol' Maverick. Mom didn't appreciate it.

boomhower
06-22-2012, 19:08
Three

1. Educated English
2. Appalachian Redneck
3. Southern Redneck

UtahIrishman
06-22-2012, 19:22
English, a bit of German and some Spanglish. I understand Spanglish better than I speak it though.

I really should upgrade my Spanglish to Spanish but most Spanish speaking people here in the US speak passable Spanglish so it works.

lawman800
06-22-2012, 20:11
Speak 2 fluently, can read another one pretty well, passable street use for one more, and native level for Pig Latin.

MrGlock21
06-22-2012, 23:03
Latin
French
German

Feel free to pm me for professional translation services :supergrin:

TangoFoxtrot
06-23-2012, 04:55

You may not think of this as a prep, but with all the Spanish speaking people around, I am thinking of trying to learn Spanish again. One day I may need something desperately and if the person who has only speaks Spanish.....

I think people need to learn how to speak english first before they try to learn other languages. This BS of multi-language signs and labeling in this country really burns me. :steamed: This is still the United States?

lawman800
06-23-2012, 11:02
I think people need to learn how to speak english first before they try to learn other languages. This BS of multi-language signs and labeling in this country really burns me. :steamed: This is still the United States?

I think Americans need to learn English first before trying to enforce English on others too... the proficiency level of our natives is appalling... judging by the local encounters I have on a daily basis. Our own people are becoming barely literate in their own language.:steamed:

Just sayin...:whistling:

shotgunred
06-23-2012, 11:26
I am by no means a world traveler. But In my limited traveling I have learned that were ever you go they will find someone who speaks English as long as you speak with greenbacks.

lawman800
06-23-2012, 11:33
I am by no means a world traveler. But In my limited traveling I have learned that were ever you go they will find someone who speaks English as long as you speak with greenbacks.

What do you call people who speak 2 languages? Bilingual.

3 languages? Triligual.

1 language? American.

pugman
06-23-2012, 13:14
What do you call people who speak 2 languages? Bilingual.

3 languages? Triligual.

1 language? American.

However, is this our fault or just the way things have gone? We can discuss all we want about Japan from the 60's to the 80's or China now but overall post WWII the United States has been the dominant economy.

I work for a large multinational company with offices all over the world. I was recently involved with several business meetings on this very topic.

English is the world's language. Many cultures teach it as a second language; but not only as the means to do business with the United States but other countries all around the world.

Our offices in India, France, Germany, etc see learning English as the most efficient way to do business with as many countries as possible. Obviously, if you learn German you can do business and speak with more than just Germans. Spanish's reach is undeniable but does it come close to English?

From what I've read someone in nearly every discipline including theortical physicists, economists and sociologists predict English will become the world's language.

RWBlue
06-23-2012, 13:32

Although I think the official language of the USA should be English and all official documents should be in English.....

I know it is like trying to stop the tide with sponge. With the demographic winter we are experiencing you can expect more and more people in the USA who don't speak English at a native level.

By not learning the basics, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Not to mention that there are too many good looking women in the world who do not speak English.

9jeeps
06-23-2012, 14:28
I speak fluent Hillbilly, since childhood.
Larn't Anglish in my skoolin n upbrangun!:tongueout:

lawman800
06-23-2012, 14:29
However, is this our fault or just the way things have gone? We can discuss all we want about Japan from the 60's to the 80's or China now but overall post WWII the United States has been the dominant economy.

I work for a large multinational company with offices all over the world. I was recently involved with several business meetings on this very topic.

English is the world's language. Many cultures teach it as a second language; but not only as the means to do business with the United States but other countries all around the world.

Our offices in India, France, Germany, etc see learning English as the most efficient way to do business with as many countries as possible. Obviously, if you learn German you can do business and speak with more than just Germans. Spanish's reach is undeniable but does it come close to English?

From what I've read someone in nearly every discipline including theortical physicists, economists and sociologists predict English will become the world's language.

English is the world's language, no argument there, so why is it that we are not emphasizing it at home?

Also, just because English is the world's language, does that mean we rest on our laurels and don't need to learn other languages and become handicapped?

That line of thinking got GM, BMW, Porsche, and other entities who thought they were at the top of their game in deep trouble.

I dealt with many international transactions domestic and abroad, and if you don't speak the native language, you miss out on a lot of innuendos, axioms, colloquialisms, and just straight up talking about you in their own language because they think you don't understand.

It's a tactical advantage that I fully intend to explore?

powderhead
06-23-2012, 14:40
I see some of you are bi-lingual. I happen to be cunnilingual.

Pitt
06-23-2012, 17:22
I see some of you are bi-lingual. I happen to be cunnilingual.

LOL. That's funny right there.

As for myself, english, pretty good spanish and a little portuguese and french.

Pepiot
06-23-2012, 17:23

Rick O'Shay
06-23-2012, 19:28
My friends in Spain, Argentina, and Mexico tell me I speak Spanish like a 3-yr-old child. My command of English is B+, but Spanish is basic/essential phrases. Like ordering in restaurants, checking in/out of a hotel, directions in a cab, airport check-in, etc.

Glockdude1
06-23-2012, 19:35
I am fluent in Sarcasm.

Does that count???

:tongueout:

quake
06-23-2012, 19:40
I am fluent in Sarcasam.

Does that count???
No, but Sarcasm would.

But I'm sure that's what you meant. :upeyes:

j/k :supergrin: :tongueout:

kirgi08
06-23-2012, 20:55
:duel:

Glockdude1
06-23-2012, 20:59
No, but Sarcasm would.

But I'm sure that's what you meant. :upeyes:

j/k :supergrin: :tongueout:

:blondmoment:

quake
06-23-2012, 22:39
:blondmoment:

Couldn't resist. :supergrin:

Fwiw, great sig line. I've stolen it & used it more than once in conversation.

Glockdude1
06-23-2012, 23:31
Couldn't resist. :supergrin:

Fwiw, great sig line. I've stolen it & used it more than once in conversation.

I charge $19.95 for that!!

quake
06-24-2012, 05:25
I charge $19.95 for that!!

I did say "stolen", right...? :cool:

kirgi08
06-24-2012, 07:45
Quake,I'll let ya use it for $9.95.'08. :whistling:

Akita
06-24-2012, 07:55

(this Is the interweb afterall)

TangoFoxtrot
06-24-2012, 07:55
I think Americans need to learn English first before trying to enforce English on others too... the proficiency level of our natives is appalling... judging by the local encounters I have on a daily basis. Our own people are becoming barely literate in their own language.:steamed:

Just sayin...:whistling:

Your last sentence is correct. This is due to the weakness in our education system and having two parents who work and won't take the time to assist their children with their education, social pressures, and the overall attitudes of todays youth.

With that being said, 9/11 changed mine and others views about having open arms to other nations coming to America and freeloading. For this we have to change the national primary language to accomedate them? Hell no! If you come here to live learn english or go home period. This country has become to liberal with immergration.

I'm just sayin..:upeyes:

MajorAmby
06-24-2012, 08:25
Fluent English, Spanish. Learning Portuguese, can understand contextually French and Italian, especially when reading. Want to learn some Chinese too.

lawman800
06-24-2012, 12:14
Your last sentence is correct. This is due to the weakness in our education system and having two parents who work and won't take the time to assist their children with their education, social pressures, and the overall attitudes of todays youth.

With that being said, 9/11 changed mine and others views about having open arms to other nations coming to America and freeloading. For this we have to change the national primary language to accomedate them? Hell no! If you come here to live learn english or go home period. This country has become to liberal with immergration.

I'm just sayin..:upeyes:

No no no... I agree with what you said entirely about not changing our own language to accommodate others, this is America, we speak English here and it cannot be any other way... but I am saying that before we can tell everyone to learn English because it's the world standard... it would make some sense to make sure our own people spoke the language that we are trumpeting as the world standard.

I mean, heck, I have talked to many foreigners who have a better command of English than most Americans I know. Of course, that is because they have had formal studies in English, but why can't we have more rigor in our own English classes?

emt1581
06-24-2012, 18:05
English and bad English!

I actually used to be fluent in German. In high school I went there and got around pretty well. I can still speak it well enough to take care of the essentials. I used to watch Deutsche Welt just to see how well I was retaining it. Now instead of being able to follow the stories I can just pick up a few words in each sentence.

I can still write numbers in Japanese, speak certain phrases in Greek/Italian/Gaelic and a touch of Spanish.

-Emt1581

lawman800
06-24-2012, 19:40
I can still write numbers in Japanese

Write numbers in Japanese?

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10.:tongueout:

Thank God the Arabic numbers are pretty universal now.:supergrin:

Redheadhunter21
06-24-2012, 20:33
English, and enough spanish to know when people are making fun of the gringo. But living in south Florida you get to understand it and with a little hand talking you can get it figured out

TangoFoxtrot
06-25-2012, 04:51
No no no... I agree with what you said entirely about not changing our own language to accommodate others, this is America, we speak English here and it cannot be any other way... but I am saying that before we can tell everyone to learn English because it's the world standard... it would make some sense to make sure our own people spoke the language that we are trumpeting as the world standard.

I mean, heck, I have talked to many foreigners who have a better command of English than most Americans I know. Of course, that is because they have had formal studies in English, but why can't we have more rigor in our own English classes?

Lawman800, A lot of that comes back to our weak education system.

lawman800
06-25-2012, 09:23
Lawman800, A lot of that comes back to our weak education system.

So... how are we expected to tell foreigners to speak English when we aren't teaching our own to do so? Assuming it does work out, we are going to have foreigners who are better at English than ourselves in our own land. Go figure that.

ca survivor
06-25-2012, 09:56
English, and Spanish, can understand Italian if they slow down :rofl:will love to learn German.

dbak
06-25-2012, 10:05
English and the good old Russian..ahhhh motherland

glockurai
06-25-2012, 15:41
Espaņol e Ingles. (Equally fluent)

Batesmotel
06-25-2012, 16:14
English and Southern. :whistling:

guanoman
06-26-2012, 09:22
I'm fluent in Sarcasm. Oh, lest we forget English, Spanish, Texan, some Italian, some Portuguese, some French and a lot of el caca de toro.

DrSticky
06-26-2012, 10:32
Studied English, French, Spanish and Latin. Crap at all of them.

I am currently studying Modern Standard Arabic.

DrSticky
06-26-2012, 10:34
Oh, and cute Hispanic chicks are the best way to learn Spanish.

John Rambo
06-26-2012, 10:36
Oh, and cute Hispanic chicks are the best way to learn Spanish.

See, I don't want to learn Spanish for just that reason. Why spoil the exotic mystery of listening to unintelligible jibberish when it comes time to get down?

NOLA_glock
06-26-2012, 15:22
English and French. I've been learning Dutch (on my own) and German (with the help of my girlfriend and her family).

I'm proficient enough with Spanish for practical circumstances-- i.e. while in a Spanish-speaking country for an extended time--but I would never say that I "speak" it. I couldn't have much of a real conversation (besides the basics) with anyone in it, I mean.

glockaviator
06-27-2012, 12:51
Learning a foreign language makes the person MORE FLUENT in English than before, not less.

One language, one idiot...

Kozel
06-27-2012, 13:09
English is my third language.

Green_Manelishi
06-27-2012, 19:37
Blond French girlfriend is fluent in English, Spanish, Italian.:whistling:

Does your blond, French girlfriend speak French?

Green_Manelishi
06-27-2012, 19:43

American English as a native.

Understand more than a bit of English English, Scottish English, Doric and Lallans.

Studying Scots Gaelic.

Fascinated by Old English (Anglo-Saxon).

Glockdude1
06-27-2012, 19:44

:rofl:

lawman800
06-28-2012, 03:35

My Japanese ex-girlfriend didn't speak Japanese.:crying:

mknpwr
06-28-2012, 03:42
I am a bilingual illiterate...I can't read in two different languages, does that count?

Sent from my rotary dial phone

2bgop
06-28-2012, 12:00
English and Spanish

Lady 2bgop speaks English and Japanese, what cooler than Spanish, not really very useful in real life.

lawman800
06-28-2012, 12:03
English and Spanish

Lady 2bgop speaks English and Japanese, what cooler than Spanish, not really very useful in real life.

Unless you are in Japan, or Hawaii, or Australia, wherever they cater to the big Japanese tourist industry.

JackMac
06-28-2012, 17:40
amor vincit omnia

rilkil23
06-28-2012, 17:51
English and I am fluent in Senior Citizen. I grew up working at a golf couse and learned the old person lingo so it just flows off my tongue.

jlavallee
06-28-2012, 19:15
English is the only language I speak well. I can stumble through French and understand it much better than I speak if they go slow. Yeah, that doesn't happen and most (especially in Paris and Quebec with Montreal being the exception) are just pricks about it and don't give points for effort like people usually do.

Italian, Russian, Spanish are all barely good enough to survive if I am in a foreign country.

Al Czervik
06-29-2012, 00:39
El sixo.
Because six just isn't allowed by the GT computer thingy.

FireForged
06-29-2012, 09:12
one and only 1

BulldawgGlock
06-30-2012, 08:46
Two: English and Spanish

IV Troop
06-30-2012, 10:39
Because I have been in law enforcement a long time, I am Tri-lingual.

I speak English, cynacism and sarcasm

Cam83
06-30-2012, 18:57
Two, English and French from high school. French comes in as a good ice breaker from time to time.

Commander_Zero
07-01-2012, 22:04
I can hit the highlights ("Get me to the hospital", "Are you sure thats just a cold sore?", "please remove the electrodes from my genitals") in a dozen languages but I really only can converse at length in three...four if you include Klingon.

bdcochran
07-01-2012, 22:16
English. Some Spanish, Japanese, German and French.

Speaking about Klingons - Do you know why the Starship Enterprise is like a roll of toilet paper? It goes to Uranus to wipe out the Klingons!

samuse
07-02-2012, 19:43
I'm pretty good at English. I have an awesome Texas accent.

I can speak Spanish on about the same level as a perverted, horny, two year-old construction worker.

lawman800
07-02-2012, 20:57
I can speak Spanish on about the same level as a perverted, horny, two year-old construction worker.

What country are you from where 2 year olds work as construction workers? Also, how bad can they be?

"Goo goo gah gah... mama... no no no!":whistling:

SPIN2010
07-02-2012, 21:16
English first and Russian second here.

UtahIrishman
07-02-2012, 22:20
I can hit the highlights ("Get me to the hospital", "Are you sure thats just a cold sore?", "please remove the electrodes from my genitals") in a dozen languages but I really only can converse at length in three...four if you include Klingon.

Kablah!

SomeDay
07-02-2012, 23:00
None, someday I hope to learn English and whatever freakin' language my wife speaks though.

:rofl:

I speak Spanish and a little English. I also speak 2 year old and reformed teenager.

rv4driver
07-03-2012, 20:17
American English, and...wait for it...Morse Code! I know, it's like latin, a dead language. Sigh. It rocked in the early '70's in the U.S. Coast Guard!
Oh, and enough spanglish to tell the construction robots "Yo tiene aqui, ahora!" What actually arrives here, and now, is questionable. And, usually, a surprise.

It was an eye opener, when I asked an Austrian once why German words were so incredibly long, he explained that they ran an entire sentence of words together, and made it one word!
Brilliant! Oh, wait, "brilliant" is British. Near as I can tell, brilliant means existent.

Jeff
.--- . ..-. ..-.

Commander_Zero
07-03-2012, 20:18
Kablah!

Nice try, but its " Qapla' "

I actually have this engraved in my wedding ring.

rv4driver
07-03-2012, 20:21
"Jeff
.--- . ..-. ..-."

Now that I look at it, Morse code is apparently Braille for the ears.

RWBlue
07-03-2012, 20:24
.Morse Code! I know, it's like latin, a dead language.

Does this mean you can speak to the undead?:faint:

:supergrin:

lawman800
07-03-2012, 20:24
Anyone speak ASL or Semaphore?

lawman800
07-03-2012, 20:25
Does this mean you can speak to the undead?:faint:

:supergrin:

Jonah Hex just sprinkles some dust on them and speaks to them.

Commander_Zero
07-03-2012, 20:27
Anyone speak ASL or Semaphore?

Well, you dont really 'speak' it.....

I studied just the basics. Seemed handy for times when visual communications would work better than voice. (Like the scene at the end of Private Ryan where the guy is in the bell tower giving hand signals to describe the approaching enemy.)

Not sure, but sign language might be the closest thing to an international language although Im not sure how widespread other forms of sign language are.

SomeDay
07-03-2012, 20:50
Nice try, but its " Qapla' "

I actually have this engraved in my wedding ring.

I have a Klingon dictionary buried in storage somewhere.

dcc12
07-04-2012, 10:03
Texan fluently, English sparingly, Korean and Spanish ok, some Vietnamese, Two semesters of French in college not a word remembered, Working on American Sign Language.