Jon Stewart Trashes Obama’s Executive Privilege Assertion On Fast & Furious [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Jon Stewart Trashes Obama’s Executive Privilege Assertion On Fast & Furious

sbhaven
06-22-2012, 10:19
Jon Stewart Trashes Obama’s Executive Privilege Assertion On Fast And Furious
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/jon-stewart-trashes-obamas-executive-privilege-assertion-on-fast-and-furious/
Jon Stewart‘s patience for the Obama administration on Fast and Furious is rapidly dwindling. On Day 2 of his reporting on the operation he joked the Obama administration called “Donde están los Weapons de Automaticos” so they could claim to not know what “Fast and Furious” was, Stewart made a game show out of comparing comments Democrats have been using to differentiate their reasons for the President invoking executive privilege from President George W. Bush‘s.
Video at link.

sbhaven
06-22-2012, 15:11
Another earlier John Stewart segment...
Jon Stewart discusses ATF's Fast and Furious Program selling guns to Mexican Drug Cartels (http://www.popmodal.com/video/8128/Jon-Stewart-discusses-ATFs-Fast-and-Furious-Program-selling-guns-to-Mexican-Drug-Cartels)

Sam Spade
06-22-2012, 17:24
When O has lost Jon, he's in deep kimchi.

fortyofforty
06-22-2012, 17:47
The Stewart segments are funny, and he cuts to the heart of the matter. However, it won't prevent Holder from stonewalling the committees and allowing a half-hearted internal investigation to creep along. By the way, I though the DOJ OIG was already conducting an investigation starting over a year ago. What's the status of that in-depth probe? Last I heard the DOJ OIG was obstructing the Congressional investigation.

Berto
06-22-2012, 17:53
Stewarts's head begins to emerge from his ass, I see.....

concretefuzzynuts
06-22-2012, 18:25
Used to watch the show because some parts were funny. But he buried his nose so far up Obamas @$$ he could smell Os breath, so I quit watching.

GAFinch
06-22-2012, 20:16
Don't give Stewart too much credit. There's online video of an episode a few years ago where he blasts Bush's use of executive privilege. Other shows and blogs would have linked to the episode to illustrate Stewart's hypocrisy (along with Obama's hypocrisy).

RC-RAMIE
06-22-2012, 20:22
Don't give Stewart too much credit. There's online video of an episode a few years ago where he blasts Bush's use of executive privilege. Other shows and blogs would have linked to the episode to illustrate Stewart's hypocrisy (along with Obama's hypocrisy).

He blasted two different presidents for use of executive privilege and that makes him a hypocrite?

sbhaven
06-22-2012, 20:48
Stewart's a liberal and he's admitted that there is a liberal bias in the media. He generally attacks conservatives way more than liberals but in this case he bashed Obama on EP just as he did Bush back in 2005.
Executive Privilege - The Daily Show with Jon Stewart - 10/26/05 - Video Clip | Comedy Central@@AMEPARAM@@http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:comedycentral.com:114524@@AMEPARAM@@114524

GAFinch
06-22-2012, 20:52
He blasted two different presidents for use of executive privilege and that makes him a hypocrite?

If he hadn't reluctantly blasted the Dear Leader, then he would have been a hypocrite.

sbhaven
06-22-2012, 21:02
If he hadn't reluctantly blasted the Dear Leader, then he would have been a hypocrite.
Relucent or not, he did bash the President which is very telling. It shows that the media is no longer ignoring the story. While Stewart isn't really a news reporter, he's an entertainer. He is however the go to person for information for quite a few people. And at least he appeared to be somewhat fair on the subject.

Unlike Rachael Maddow on MSNBC...
Maddow Begs Media to Ignore Fast and Furious: Just Another 'Paranoid Delusion' Like Sherrod Scandal
http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2012/06/22/maddow-begs-media-ignore-fast-and-furious-just-another-paranoid-delusion
MADDOW: This is not some weird, boggy offshoot of what the Fast and Furious scandal is. This is what the Fast and Furious scandal is. This is it. It is a conspiracy theory on the right that President Obama is secretly trying to take away all your guns. That's what it was. They created this program was actually started by George W. Bush as a means of upsetting people about gun violence and their abolishing the Second Amendment.If you watch Fox News, as your source of information, you marinate daily in conservative media and that is your source of information about the world. This has been drilled into your head over and over and over again.
MADDOW: Just like with the Shirley Sherrod story. Fox News has been very upset that they haven`t yet been able to bait the rest of the real media into following this crazy conspiracy theory of theirs yet, and they are starting to overtly bait the mainstream media into covering it and they are starting to lash out and blame people who do not cover it yet.

BRET BAIER: NBC Nightly News is playing some serious catch-up, because the network news show has only mentioned the failed gun tracking program, "Fast and Furious," once for a few seconds since the scandal broke last year. Keep in mind Attorney General Holder has testified before Congress no less than nine times.

MADDOW: That was a host named Bret Baier on Fox News last night. He`s supposedly one of the straight news, no opinion anchors on Fox. That’s the same Bret Baier incidentally whose news program has been identified the militia-blogger guy, the throw-bricks-through-their-windows guy whose conspiracy theory this is. He’s been identifying him as an online journalist helping out with their coverage of the "Fast and Furious" scandal.
Maddow concluded; “This is a test. This is a test. We have been here before. We know how this ends. News media of America, you are getting baited to cover this story that Fox and the right have cooked up in their own special cockamamie marinade for more than a year now. Are you going to swallow this one, too?”
:faint:

GAFinch
06-22-2012, 21:06
Stewart's a liberal and he's admitted that there is a liberal bias in the media. He generally attacks conservatives way more than liberals but in this case he bashed Obama on EP just as he did Bush back in 2005.

I agree to an extent, which is why I think he deserves some credit, just not too much. I've watched his show on and off over the years for its comedic value and for a liberal counterbalance to other programs. He has certainly had enough integrity to call out hypocrisy/lies on both sides more than many other real reporters and calls out reporters for not doing the same, but the highly partisan commentary to comedic ratio has gotten seriously out of control for the past year or so and became unbearable for me to watch. It got bad a few years ago and I stopped watching for a couple years, but it's definitely worse now and I'm permanently done with him.

happyguy
06-23-2012, 04:23
Jon Stewart is a comedian and a good one but that's all he is. He has also admitted he is liberal so why would anyone not expect a liberal slant in his comedy.

I thought the segments were quite funny and pointed out the hypocrisy of self serving politicians in general. They also indicate that many liberals (not politicians) know right from wrong.

Regards,
Happyguy :)

BuckyP
06-23-2012, 04:55

Yeah, I didn't understand that either.

It's getting harder and harder for the media to cover for BO. Everyone says the election is going to be close. I wonder how it would be if the media treated BO in the same manner they did GWB?

Gundude
06-23-2012, 17:36
Yeah, I didn't understand that either. It took a couple of readings, but I figured out what he was trying to say:

He's saying Stewart was forced to blast Obama about F&F out of fear of being branded a hypocrite.

To which I answer with two questions:

Can you really read the guy's mind w.r.t. his motivations?
Does it really matter why he's doing it? Probably more people learned about F&F from his program than from all the other "news" shows combined.

series1811
06-24-2012, 05:10
I think it's as simple as this:

Moe and more Obama supporters are starting to realize they have been had. Stewart is becoming one of them.

RC-RAMIE
06-24-2012, 10:04
I think it's as simple as this:

Moe and more Obama supporters are starting to realize they have been had. Stewart is becoming one of them.

I always seen Stewart call people on their BS no matter if it is a D or a R. Some conservitaves could learn from that.

fortyofforty
06-24-2012, 11:10
I always seen Stewart call people on their BS no matter if it is a D or a R. Some conservitaves could learn from that.

The only difference is that most comedians such as Stewart and Colbert and Letterman mock Republicans for being too conservative, and mock Democrats for being too conservative or not liberal enough. It's always in one direction. Some Natsos should be more thankful that their idiocy goes largely unchallenged by mainstream comedians or they'd lose a lot of votes.

Z1232K
06-24-2012, 12:13
Stewarts's head begins to emerge from his ass, I see.....

:rofl:

My thoughts excactly!!! :supergrin:

p.d.
06-24-2012, 14:11
Whatever his motivation, I appreciate his point and enjoy the humor.