PDA

View Full Version : Bird Flu Pandemic

WWJBD
06-22-2012, 10:55
Its closer than you might think!

http://gizmodo.com/5920462/a-bird-flu-pandemic-is-just-three-mutations-away

Fanner50
06-22-2012, 20:39
There have been a gazillion pages about bird/swine flu on this forum over the past ten years. Some people just have to have something to worry about. It ain't going to happen. If you want to worry about something worry about Obama getting reelected.
Rant off.

RMTactical
06-22-2012, 20:47
Oh it could happen, but so could 100,000 other things. I try not to get hung up on any one thing. I try to prepare for the worst and most likely events and then live a happy and fulfilling life otherwise.

yellowhand
06-23-2012, 00:41
WORRY, when the military shows up in the background on the TV news, all in MOPP Level four, and the reporter says that everything is under control, nothing to worry about, until then, reload more ammo, sleep well, eat well, and chase the old woman around the kitchen:wavey:

AA#5
06-23-2012, 01:40
Yup. Better get them life-savin' vaccines.

TangoFoxtrot
06-23-2012, 04:51
Yup. Better get them life-savin' vaccines.

Sometimes I think the vaccines are just as bad as the virus' thenselves.

UneasyRider
06-23-2012, 05:32
Oh it could happen, but so could 100,000 other things. I try not to get hung up on any one thing. I try to prepare for the worst and most likely events and then live a happy and fulfilling life otherwise.

This is my philosophy as well. Most prep's overlap, I like to prepare for life without electricity because when you take that away your prepared for anything, and where I live we get to practice every once in a while as a hurricane can roll on through. Always remember it's the cleanup when everyone gets hurt!

Aceman
06-23-2012, 06:31
I have actually participated in Pandemic exercises while working in Public Health.

#1 Yes it COULD happen, but it is not likely.
#2 There are a lot of OTHER Pandemics that could occur that you have never heard about
#3 In a real Pandemic I think your ability to get by is sorely OVER-estimated

I think this falls into the category of things that you might want to invest a little prep activity into specifically, but not much. I say this because I have grouped it in with things that even a good amount of prep isn't going to beat. Like Nuclear War. The ability of anyone to get through a moderate version unscathed is VERY low. It takes lots of knowledge, lots of skill, and lots of gear. Even the well prepped prepper probably doesn't have enough of any of them.

"Work the basics hard - water, food, meds, fuel, shelter" Then, if Pandemic is your rarity of choice, make some basic preps for it if you want. But OVERCONFIDENCE will get you. Not stuff to be messed with.

I say channel efforts into the high probability events, the high survivabilities, and then, if you are comfortable, start making efforts for these things, but have no delusions about you capabilities.

cowboy1964
06-24-2012, 00:41
We're overdue for a pandemic of some type. It's not a question of if but when. Now you have to throw bio-terrorism into the possibilities too.

Braken
06-24-2012, 06:39
I have actually participated in Pandemic exercises while working in Public Health.

#1 Yes it COULD happen, but it is not likely.
#2 There are a lot of OTHER Pandemics that could occur that you have never heard about
#3 In a real Pandemic I think your ability to get by is sorely OVER-estimated

I think this falls into the category of things that you might want to invest a little prep activity into specifically, but not much. I say this because I have grouped it in with things that even a good amount of prep isn't going to beat. Like Nuclear War. The ability of anyone to get through a moderate version unscathed is VERY low. It takes lots of knowledge, lots of skill, and lots of gear. Even the well prepped prepper probably doesn't have enough of any of them.

"Work the basics hard - water, food, meds, fuel, shelter" Then, if Pandemic is your rarity of choice, make some basic preps for it if you want. But OVERCONFIDENCE will get you. Not stuff to be messed with.

I say channel efforts into the high probability events, the high survivabilities, and then, if you are comfortable, start making efforts for these things, but have no delusions about you capabilities.

+1 :number1:

TangoFoxtrot
06-24-2012, 07:37

Well stated!

Aceman
06-24-2012, 08:26
And the concept of "overdue is VERY misleading. It's like rolling a dice and saying that after 10 rolls that you are "due" for a 6. The next roll is exactly as likely to bring a six as any other roll.

Yes - things tend to happen with a certain frequency over time. Asteroid strike, 10 Earthquake, Cubs win the series....

But that does not mean they will. Things happen that both work for, and against them. Often, the things that happen in the past happened because we had no way of impacting them.

Bird Flu?
+ Fast-easy international travel
- Antibiotics
+ Demand for mass food production
- Food inspection/regulation.

Example - Mad Cow has not run rampant period.

Tough to call what will let one bug out and not another (of the many that could get out). I a a huge fan of the CDC's work - but step back a moment. These are a ton of super smart brilliant people. And they know that Saber rattling gets them funding. Fear + semi-legit concern + media spin = funding.

Hurricanes
Power outs
Economic collapse
Crime/Social unrest
Fuel

Way more likely. And if I can ride one of those out without leaving home, I'll be WAY better off than prepping with decontam gear etc...

It's like the lady on Doomsday preppers. She had suits, etc...and practiced decontamination drills when her family came over.
#1 DON'T let the family come over
#2 ONE mistake decontaming and you are toast
#3 While she had all the suits and gear in the world, she didn't have food and water. So she was going to have to go out - the #1 thing that would likely get her contaminated.

Just1More
06-24-2012, 10:39
How much money is made selling vaccines? Every year some new BS virus will wipe us out if we don't get a wonder-shot. Ridiculous.

AA#5
06-24-2012, 10:42
Sometimes I think the vaccines are just as bad as the virus' thenselves.

Agreed. I forgot the sarcasm icon. :supergrin: