Be Careful - Target shooting blamed for 19 wildfires [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Be Careful - Target shooting blamed for 19 wildfires

RussP
06-22-2012, 13:45
Target shooting blamed for 19 wildfires as dry ground makes ignition more likely (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57458581/target-shooting-blamed-for-19-wildfires-as-dry-ground-makes-ignition-more-likely/)

Dexters
06-22-2012, 14:06
Beetle kill, under average snow fall, high heat, and low humidity have combined to provide great conditions for fire in the west.

oldman11
06-22-2012, 14:21
How in the hell are you going to blame target shooting on setting wildfires? Just another attempt by anti-gunners to suppress gun owners. They are sure reaching far to push over this BS.

Bren
06-22-2012, 14:25
How in the hell are you going to blame target shooting on setting wildfires? Just another attempt by anti-gunners to suppress gun owners. They are sure reaching far to push over this BS.

I'm thinking the same. I have seen a fire started by shooting once, in summer in Oklahoma, but it was with a whole lot of .50 BMG tracers. Non-tracers starting fires? Sounds like BS (unless they are trying to mislead, while counting fires started by shootERS rather than shootING).

Batesmotel
06-22-2012, 15:01
I'm thinking the same. I have seen a fire started by shooting once, in summer in Oklahoma, but it was with a whole lot of .50 BMG tracers. Non-tracers starting fires? Sounds like BS (unless they are trying to mislead, while counting fires started by shootERS rather than shootING).

Two very popular areas for shooting in the Salt Lake area are LOADED with iron. The Lake Range and the south end of Stansbury Island have geologic formations that can actually spark as the rock fragments from a bullet impact.

The current fire burning up the south end of the Salt Lake valley is in the Lake Mountains. That fire may have been started by steel jacketed ammo but there have been many fires in that area over the years because of the iron rich rock. Also sparks are created by shooting old appliances and computers.

The state fire martial said the fire risk in Utah is extreme only because there is nothing higher than extreme. We are sitting in a tinder box. I expect a ban on shooting on public land like they did in 07.

The fire here has burned about 1000 acres and evacuated about 300+ homes so far. The smoke is burning my eyes even in my house.

Edit. Several fires in the last few years have been started by shooting exploding targets, Tannerite, propane bottles and gas cans.

Tooele county, where the current fire started has banned "non traditional targets". Basicly anything other than paper targets, Plastic jugs and bottles or clay pigeons. The two reasons were fires and the amount of trash left on public land. They have been handing out tickets for up to $700 for shooting junk and leaving it.

Many other counties are expected to follow later this year.

Foxtrotx1
06-22-2012, 15:13
For those who think this is bull ****, think again.

Here in AZ many of the rocks are mineral rich. Iron especially. When shooting any kind of ammo that is bimetal,steel core or steel jacketed, you get sparks. You don't see them during the day, but try it at night.

You really have to see it to believe it.

Plus, hot casings can start fires just like vehicle undercarriage.

Batesmotel
06-22-2012, 15:17
just like vehicle undercarriage.

A cop here did that. Pulled over to help change a tire and his catalytic converter lit the dry cheatgrass under his car.

Breadman03
06-22-2012, 16:25
People who haven't seen it don't realize that it is a real threat. When I was in the Marines, we set several fires using plain old 5.56 ball ammo. That wasn't even dumping ammo, but just target practice.

Spiffums
06-22-2012, 16:41
Stuff always blows up when you hit it on Sons of Guns and American Rip Off ....err Guns.

Bruce M
06-22-2012, 16:53
Twice I have seen small fires started at our range by shooting into dry vegetation on the berm. The first time in the mid-80's it was from .38sp reloads and some 00 Buck.
The second time a decade or so later there was a mix of pistols and revolvers.

FlagGlock
06-22-2012, 21:36
Interesting thread here, thanks for the info provided. My area is a total tinderbox right now.

TankerMax
06-22-2012, 21:54
I thought I read some of the fires were started by exploding targets.

owl6roll
06-23-2012, 00:49
Huuummm...

Quiet
06-23-2012, 03:18
Blame target/recreational shooting for causing wildfires = tactic that is often used by the CA anti-gun movement as a catalyst to force county adminstrators to enact changes that would prohibit shooting in unincorporated areas of the county.

Since, it has been fairly successfull in CA to restrict areas for shooting, it is now being exported to other states.

ca survivor
06-23-2012, 08:37
Right, unless is tracers no way, if you drop a cigarette yes but that has nothing to do with shooting.

RussP
06-23-2012, 08:45
Shooters questioning blame for fires (http://www.heraldextra.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/shooters-questioning-blame-for-fires/article_178488d3-e540-572a-a4c8-85989445763c.html)

RussP
06-23-2012, 09:33
Read the title of this story...Target shooting starts brush fire near Saratoga Springs (http://www.newsutah.org/utah/target-shooting-starts-brush-fire-14998/)

Okay, now here is the lead paragraph:Fire crews say target shooters started a wildfire Thursday morning that quickly grew to more than 700 acres west of the landfill.

I have seen this in a few stories where the title says "shooting" and the story says "shooters".

RussP
06-23-2012, 10:29
Fire sparked by shooting evacuates homes in Utah (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/06/22/hot-windy-weather-to-challenge-colo-fire-crews/?test=latestnews)

SARATOGA SPRINGS, Utah Thousands of residents whose homes are being threatened by a Utah wildfire have had to find shelter elsewhere as high winds fueled a blaze that officials believe was started by target shooters.

...fire started near the Saratoga Springs landfill,...

BLM officials say they believe the blaze was caused when a bullet hit a rock and sparked the fire.

Batesmotel
06-23-2012, 12:09
Right, unless is tracers no way, if you drop a cigarette yes but that has nothing to do with shooting.

You are incorrect. Shooting normal ammo can cause a spark depending what the round hits. It happens all the time. I have seen it.