Phoenix: Teen shoots armed burglar [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix: Teen shoots armed burglar

Sam Spade
06-23-2012, 09:16
http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/ms/p/a3/86/view.m?id=124279&storyId=18860571&news=Top%20Stories&news2=Main

The carry issue: "Secure all firearms and ammunition from children" is not an appropriate blanket rule. "Educate your kids" is.

steve581581
06-23-2012, 09:38
Brave kid. Hopefully he doesn't lose too much sleep from it. It sucks that someone so young was put into that kind of situation but he was prepared and stayed calm enough to know to get his siblings out of the house. If it were my son I'd be more than proud of him for handling it like he did.

cowboywannabe
06-23-2012, 10:00
the kid will only lose sleep if he no longer has access to a gun to protect himself....

Lior
06-23-2012, 10:03
Would recommend buying him a beer once he is old enough.

tualum0982
06-23-2012, 11:03
wow, what a brave young man. Props to the parents for training them right. But I dont think I would be leaving my 4 kids alone in that age range.

ZO6Vettever
06-23-2012, 11:59
Good for him and I too hope he has no lasting post tramatic stress.

Cavalry Doc
06-23-2012, 12:53
Kids should be introduced early.

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p158/CavalryDoc/scan0146.jpg

I was.

I started mine out very early. But knowing how to shoot, while very important, is much different than knowing when to shoot. That has been discussed and practiced in my home.

SCmasterblaster
06-23-2012, 13:09
Well done, young man. The guy needed to be shot, for sure.

Misty02
06-23-2012, 14:26
http://m.tucsonnewsnow.com/ms/p/a3/86/view.m?id=124279&storyId=18860571&news=Top%20Stories&news2=Main

The carry issue: "Secure all firearms and ammunition from children" is not an appropriate blanket rule. "Educate your kids" is.

Sam, this is one area where Iím torn between what is legal and what I think is right. My grandson is 12 years old and is more responsible and level headed than many 30 year olds. He is very responsible with firearms, has a good grasp of right and wrong and is a good shot as well. Still, everything not on us is locked up because it is what the law requires. The only firearm that would be at his disposal would be the one we carry if we are incapacitated where he can reach us.

What kind of trouble would the parents of that child be facing once the dust settles? I think the kid did great in protecting himself and his siblings, but would they let the fact the kid had access to firearms turn this into a bad story a month or so later?

Misty02
06-23-2012, 14:35
wow, what a brave young man. Props to the parents for training them right. But I dont think I would be leaving my 4 kids alone in that age range.

I might have missed the time it happened but it did say it happened on Friday. They could have been dropped at home by the school bus. When our two oldest got to middle school they didnít have after school care, we had a private school bus bring them both home until we got out of work and picked up the youngest. There were also a couple of years (youngest was 8 IIRC) we were not able to pay for summer camp and had no choice but to leave them home alone while we worked.

unit1069
06-23-2012, 18:12
Would recommend buying him a beer once he is old enough.

Sure, but would it be okay to give him a good cigar right now for his arguably manly actions?

Caver 60
06-23-2012, 18:21

When I was twelve, I slept with a loaded 12 gage sitting near the foot of my bed. I had been shooting for years before that.

The 12 gage was there day and night. No locks. I knew where all my dads firearms including handguns, were and that they were always kept loaded. Neither me nor my brother ever shot anybody, but we would have used the firearms, if necessary.

DaneA
06-23-2012, 19:09
Sam, this is one area where Iím torn between what is legal and what I think is right. My grandson is 12 years old and is more responsible and level headed than many 30 year olds. He is very responsible with firearms, has a good grasp of right and wrong and is a good shot as well. Still, everything not on us is locked up because it is what the law requires. The only firearm that would be at his disposal would be the one we carry if we are incapacitated where he can reach us.

Would you trust him to leave him home for several hours knowing that he knows where a loaded firearm is?

What kind of trouble would the parents of that child be facing once the dust settles? I think the kid did great in protecting himself and his siblings, but would they let the fact the kid had access to firearms turn this into a bad story a month or so later?

I would take the trouble as a parent vs the alternative of having to bury one or more of my children.

Misty02
06-23-2012, 19:23
Would you trust him to leave him home for several hours knowing that he knows where a loaded firearm is?

I would take the trouble as a parent vs the alternative of having to bury one or more of my children.

Yes, him I would trust him, DaneA.

I also understand what you mean.

DaneA
06-23-2012, 20:21
Found this in TN law and hopefully AZ has something similar:
(d) (1) It is a defense to prosecution under this section that the juvenile is:

(H) At the juvenile's residence and with the permission of the juvenile's parent or legal guardian, possesses a handgun and is justified in using physical force or deadly force.

I really like living in TN...

owl6roll
06-23-2012, 22:36
When I was twelve, I slept with a loaded 12 gage sitting near the foot of my bed. I had been shooting for years before that.

The 12 gage was there day and night. No locks. I knew where all my dads firearms including handguns, were and that they were always kept loaded. Neither me nor my brother ever shot anybody, but we would have used the firearms, if necessary.

Same with me. Dad took the time to teach me.

rjflyn
06-24-2012, 03:24
Some insight.

Have two grandsons on 13 and one 12. The disparity between the two is striking, they actually will be 14 and 13 respectively in less than a month. That said the oldest, babysits his younger siblings like this lad does quite frequently- no fire arms in the household. To see him you wouldn't guess that age, he is nearly as as tall as his dad- though lacks about 100 pounds. The younger- barely leave him home an hour after school by himself and he does things he shouldn't.

Misty02
06-24-2012, 09:01
Some insight.

Have two grandsons on 13 and one 12. The disparity between the two is striking, they actually will be 14 and 13 respectively in less than a month. That said the oldest, babysits his younger siblings like this lad does quite frequently- no fire arms in the household. To see him you wouldn't guess that age, he is nearly as as tall as his dad- though lacks about 100 pounds. The younger- barely leave him home an hour after school by himself and he does things he shouldn't.

I had the same thing when our three kids were growing up. The middle child was the responsible one you could trust to do the right thing, especially when we werenít around. The oldest one? You could trust her to come up with the most decapitated ideas the very second you turned your back. It was her younger brother that would keep her in line with threats of telling us if she tried to make good on her plans. The youngest of the three could go either way but since he didnít like arguments or conflict much, he tried to go along with his brother more often than with his sister.

We were expecting our grandson to take after his mother, that couldnít have been further from the truth. He is among the most responsible and trustworthy child Iíve ever met, his 5 year old sister is not far behind. Now, his 1+ year old sister? We see the same mischievous twinkle in her eyes her mother always had. She might be the one that makes the curse ďjust wait until you have kids and one is like YOU!Ē come true (hopefully not to the extreme her mother took it).

You are correct, each child is different. Trustworthy and level headed doesnít go hand-to-hand with their biological years.

Bozz
06-24-2012, 11:10
Hopefully this kid just gets the kudos he deserves and the parents see no ill-effects from this incident. There is no doubt the perps had bad intentions as they were ARMED and breaking in.

The kid protecting his siblings did EVERYTHING right, to a "T". He didn't answer the door, never let them know he was home, and defending his siblings and self with great proficiency.

Both of my kids, now aged 14 and 17 are excellent shooters and very responsible. The laws make me lock up 99% of my firearms (and theirs) but now more and more I leave my G19 where they know about it in case they are ever in a horrible situation such as this. I'll gladly take the legal ramifications and responsibility should they ever have to use them.... if they are alive, the rest I can deal with.

I taught them at a young age, and now -- shooting is a family activity for us.