Here you go... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Here you go...

Michael Savage
06-23-2012, 14:01
Have fun with this.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2012/0623/Too-many-wildfires-caused-by-gun-owners-says-Utah-governor

Cavalry Doc
06-23-2012, 14:49
No problem at the range I go to. I do have an extinguisher in the truck just in case.

The Machinist
06-23-2012, 15:01
Yeah, gotta watch out for all the sparks thrown by lead and copper. :faint:

Michael Savage
06-23-2012, 15:35
You would think if you were shooting a pistol, and a small fire broke out you'd be in a prime position to put it out...

Cavalry Doc
06-23-2012, 15:37

Bullet hits rock, rock hits another rock, sparks?

Kinetic energy is often transferred to heat. Not very common or likely, at least when not using tracers or HEAT rounds.

I have seen several fires started on ranges, but as far as I can remember, they all involved explosives or tracers. But that doesn't mean it could not happen, if you have poorly designed bullet stops.

The Machinist
06-23-2012, 16:41
It would make for a good Mythbusters experiment, but Utah's governor is still an idiot.

jakebrake
06-23-2012, 17:32
gotta be the brass:whistling:

Jarhead247
06-23-2012, 17:36
I remember a night fire exercise at Ft. Riley, KS one time when we caught a range on fire and were shut down by range control; we were using tracer rounds. I don't ever remember starting a fire with regular ammo.

Maybe brass & lead react different in Utah???

geofri
06-23-2012, 17:51

Kinetic energy is often transferred to heat. Not very common or likely, at least when not using tracers or HEAT rounds.

I have seen several fires started on ranges, but as far as I can remember, they all involved explosives or tracers. But that doesn't mean it could not happen, if you have poorly designed bullet stops.

Yes actually. But hot enough to start fire.. eh..

No scientific study but I have shot the limestone gravel on the pistol range and seen a spark or two. Not sure if there was some other stone mixed in or what.