Savage Mark II & .22 Short [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Savage Mark II & .22 Short

glockrod
06-24-2012, 11:13
I didn't pay attention to the fact that the Savage barrel says for ".22 lr only", but I wanted to try some CCI CB shorts.

Should I not shoot the CB's at all through the gun or does this "warning" basically mean that the gun wont feed the .22 shorts from the magazine.

So, what should I do?

Rod

Clem Eastwood
06-24-2012, 13:05
From what i have read the issue is running a short or long in a LR chamber can erode the chamber. but i run some CB longs and super colibri through my my ruger barrel 10/22 because i dont care about that barrel, ill just get it chopped again. ive run a handful of super colibri through my cz 452 and its one of the most accurate CZs in the RFC superstock games. so im gonna go out on a limb and say a box of shorts shouldnt hurt it.

glockrod
06-24-2012, 17:33
I tried it. And it works!
The .22 CB s actually fed from the magazine and shot well out of the Mark II.
Man, it is quiet!! It is actually quieter than standard velocity ammo from a supressed barrel. How do I know that, you may ask, since I do not own a supressor. Well, I know someone that does, although the noise level difference is somewhat from memory.

But, for all you hard core guys, I wont be using the CB's a lot since they are $7.50/100

Rod

vafish
06-25-2012, 05:31
.22 short isn't going to erode the chamber any more then .22 lr is going to erode the barrel.

What the shorts can do is foul the chamber making it difficult to chamber the lr.

Just clean well after use of the shorts and you will be fine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

irishbum
06-25-2012, 08:41
.22 short isn't going to erode the chamber any more then .22 lr is going to erode the barrel.

What the shorts can do is foul the chamber making it difficult to chamber the lr.

Just clean well after use of the shorts and you will be fine.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

+1

I have shot them out of my FV-SR, I just bore snake the barrel and never had any issues. If I don't clean right away the only problem I have seen is my brass doesn't want to come out all the time.

Jerry
06-25-2012, 10:49
I could be wrong, but, I believe what they mean by .22 LR only is it's chambered to shoot LR not higher powered power .22 say .22 Mag. .22 Hornet. I have a Stevens that I've owned since the early 70. I've shot quite a bit of shorts through it and it still shoots very well. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot shorts in My Mark II.

glockrod
06-25-2012, 10:58
That is much the same as I was thinking, but thanks for confirming!

Now, If I can just find a cheaper way of shooting the shorts. Other than them being discreetly quiet, I hope these will be a help in getting my daughter interested in shooting. I have a little pink Cricket just waiting on her.

Rod