Another Caliber Question [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another Caliber Question

chr_edw
06-25-2012, 06:01
Mr. Ayoob,

I almost hate to ask since it is discussed so much, but I would rather not pick which internet commando to listen to.

I currently carry a g23 for CC but have been considering going to a g19 of course in 9mm. I'm a little torn. I know the .40 on paper preforms a little better, but it enough to make a difference in the real world? I shoot the 23 pretty competently using it also for IDPA. I have recently second guessed my self after reading articles from several industry professionals. Most saying they like the extra ammo and being able to get more shots on target quicker.

What would be your preference?

Thank you for your time and help.

Mas Ayoob
06-25-2012, 06:47
Hate to answer with "it depends," but...it depends.

In close, say three to five yards, I personally don't find any significant difference in shot group/shot speed between 9mm and .40 in the same platform. It's at greater distances that the cone of dispersal becomes significant, and shot-to-shot speed is slightly slowed to maintain the same accuracy. Your mileage may vary, and the only way to find out is to seriously test yourself on the clock with both calibers.

Ammo choice will factor in, too. If I was limited (by something like employer edict) to subsonic loads in each caliber, I would run rather than walk to the .40 over the nine. If the choice was 124 grain +P or 127 grain +P+ in the 9mm, but 180 grain subsonic in the .40, the 9mm would be my choice. If I was in a place where I couldn't carry expanding bullets, the .40 would definitely be my choice. Again, however, it's a matter of your confidence, not mine.

A good path might be to get a 9mm conversion kit for your G23 and try some comparisons, such as an IDPA Classifier with each, Bill Drill with each, etc. and compare performance.

Feel free to come on back here and let us all know how the comparisons go, what you choose, and why.

best,
Mas

chr_edw
06-26-2012, 09:34
Thank you! I think with your help I have talked myself into getting a 9mm conversion barrel and some mags to shoot idpa and will go from there. In the mean time sounds like I should consider moving to a faster .40 instead of the 180gr. GD.

If score is very close I think I will go with a G22 mag for carry and that will solve my more rounds is better issue.