got to finally shoot my new G20 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : got to finally shoot my new G20

PLINKING.40
06-25-2012, 14:34
Our club shoots IDPA on the last Sun of each month, and I took my G20 to the range to put a few rounds through it, never shot a 10mm, so I had a few min's to shoot it befor they open the range to outsiders, I shot 10 rounds of 135, 165, 200gr bullets from underwood ammo, Holy Mother Of Gun Oil..BOOM.! wheeeee,,I love it.!!, there was a few gents behind me at the stall, and one said Holy S***,:wow: what are you shooting, that Da** thing is loud, I told them a G20 10mm, that was my new EDC & hunting Hog Leg, He said Hopfully nobody Pisses you off or trys to break in your house when your home...!!!:rofl:

GRT45
06-25-2012, 15:16
Holy Mother Of Gun Oil..BOOM.! wheeeee,,I love it.!!

:laughabove:

It's good to read that you are so pleased with the G20.

PLINKING.40
06-25-2012, 16:02
plus one of our shooters Terry, sold me a new Federal S/S 6" Comp'd barrel, for $50 clams so now i have the Hunting barrel issue fixed, Federal is no longer in business..

Taterhead
06-25-2012, 20:13
Awesome PLINKING.40. I am glad that you love your new 10mm. I love mine too.

WeeWilly
06-25-2012, 20:55
I know exactly how you feel. Lately I have to force myself to bring along one of my other guns. I mean, I have all this ammo for them, but they just sit. My G20SF and G29SF are my favorite handguns. I just bought a second G20SF, keeping a weather eye out for one of those Gen 4's when they start showing up...

Some fun.

bac1023
06-25-2012, 21:16
Congrats! :cool:

...glad to hear

TDC20
06-25-2012, 23:55
Holy Mother Of Gun Oil..BOOM.! wheeeee,,I love it.!!, there was a few gents behind me at the stall, and one said Holy S***,:wow: what are you shooting, that Da** thing is loud, I told them a G20 10mm, that was my new EDC & hunting Hog Leg, He said Hopfully nobody Pisses you off or trys to break in your house when your home...!!!:rofl:
Thanks for the range report. It always makes me smile to hear these kinds of 10mm stories. I feel the same way about my G20. :cool:

Camu Mahubah
06-26-2012, 19:58
How much louder is the 10mm? I ask because I want one...

dm1906
06-26-2012, 20:19

Louder than what? A Howitzer? Not quite. .357 Magnum? Pretty close. Music to my ears.......what's left of them.

Taterhead
06-26-2012, 20:54
Louder than what? A Howitzer? Not quite. .357 Magnum? Pretty close. Music to my ears.......what's left of them.

:rofl:

All-time loudest load in my G20 was a huge charge of 800-X under a 135 grain Nosler JHP (1700 fps). I told this story before, but a guy walking behind me at an indoor range literally was startled so badly that he stumbled to the floor. KerPOW!

Taterhead
06-26-2012, 20:56

It can be pretty loud. I have noticed that big charges of slower powders under lightweight bullets are loud. Blue Dot powder is typically pretty loud with just about any bullet or charge weight.

Others loads aren't noticeably louder than, say, a 9mm out of sub-compact barrel.

WeeWilly
06-26-2012, 21:17
:rofl:

All-time loudest load in my G20 was a huge charge of 800-X under a 135 grain Nosler JHP (1700 fps). I told this story before, but a guy walking behind me at an indoor range literally was startled so badly that he stumbled to the floor. KerPOW!

I remembered that story. :rofl:

I don't have any 135gr bullets, but I was buying some Underwood ammo a while back and so I bought some of their hot 135gr rounds.

I always like to start out with some normal 40S&W loads out of my conversion barrel. The other day I was at one of the indoor ranges and when I switched to the stock barrel in my G20SF and loaded up a few magazines with some of the Underwood 135's. The reaction was pretty funny. Everyone's head come out from behind the partitions with that whaaat?!? look on their face.

Of course then some spoil sport shows up with a 460S&W and puts things in perspective... :crying:

dm1906
06-26-2012, 21:38
I remembered that story. :rofl:

I don't have any 135gr bullets, but I was buying some Underwood ammo a while back and so I bought some of their hot 135gr rounds.

I always like to start out with some normal 40S&W loads out of my conversion barrel. The other day I was at one of the indoor ranges and when I switched to the stock barrel in my G20SF and loaded up a few magazines with some of the Underwood 135's. The reaction was pretty funny. Everyone's head come out from behind the partitions with that whaaat?!? look on their face.

Of course then some spoil sport shows up with a 460S&W and puts things in perspective... :crying:

Yep. .460 = LOUD. Almost as loud as a 4" .41M with a full house load. 220 gr. JSP over 24 gr. 296. That's LOUDer. Don't shoot at less than 7 yds. (it'll set the targets, etc, afire....really) Comparable to a Howitzer.

WeeWilly
06-26-2012, 23:15
Yep. .460 = LOUD. Almost as loud as a 4" .41M with a full house load. 220 gr. JSP over 24 gr. 296. That's LOUDer. Don't shoot at less than 7 yds. (it'll set the targets, etc, afire....really) Comparable to a Howitzer.

I believe you. :wow:

dm1906
06-27-2012, 09:33
MAY I SUGGEST, DOUBLE TAP AMMUNITION..TALK ABOUT KNOCKDOWN.MAKE A STATEMENT..ALL CALIBERS..LOADED VERY HOT, AS IN, SINGING HOT..HAVE FUN.LOUIS:wow:
Thanks, but no.

PLINKING.40
06-27-2012, 10:33

I would maybe compaire it to a full power .40s&w load out of a sub-compact XD, we have a Sheriff that shoots one at our club, and nobody will stand close to him we he gets up to the line to shoot that thing....makes your fillings loose.:wow:

PLINKING.40
06-27-2012, 10:40
Nothing beats the zombie killin power, of a full power load from the one and only glockstick.the mod 20, 10mm........carry it relously, and have hunted huge hogs , here in south florida with it. One shot stops..everytime..happy glocking my friend...louis

That is why I got my 1st glock , wanted a Multi-tasker, it's my hunting Hog-leg, and my EDC, If i miss them, at least the Sheriff's Dept across town will know It was me, and there is a Urgent issue at my house, please come.!:rofl:

dm1906
06-27-2012, 11:05
I would maybe compaire it to a full power .40s&w load out of a sub-compact XD, we have a Sheriff that shoots one at our club, and nobody will stand close to him we he gets up to the line to shoot that thing....makes your fillings loose.:wow:

I frequently shoot side-by-side with Glock 23 and 27 shooters, and the 10 is significantly "louder", regardless of the rounds. The 27 doesn't compare with muzzle blast, even with modest 10mm loads.

Was running through some live tactical drills last Sunday with my G20 (OEM barrel/RSA), shooting some modest target rounds. Position 1/lead partner (with M4) was parallel me (position 3, breach/entry/suppress). Only a couple shots fired, and he said he didn't want to parallel me again, ever. Said he felt like his muffs were being blown off.

If anyone is concerned with noise and/or muzzle blast, the 10mm may not be the best option, unless you need the power and versatility.

fxdwb69
06-27-2012, 13:24
The first time I took my G29SF to the range, it was like that scene from RoboCop. The one when he first shoots his gun at the police range...everybody on the line stopped what they were doing and leaned back to see what weapon I was shooting.
It was classic. Oh, I forgot to add...I was also using Blue Dot powder so I was throwing out an awesome fireball too! The 10mm is such a bad arse beast! Welcome to the club!

PLINKING.40
06-27-2012, 13:44
Thanks, and welcome to GT

fxdwb69
06-27-2012, 21:02
Thanks, and welcome to GT

Much appreciated!

arushus
07-07-2012, 14:43
MAY I SUGGEST, DOUBLE TAP AMMUNITION..TALK ABOUT KNOCKDOWN.MAKE A STATEMENT..ALL CALIBERS..LOADED VERY HOT, AS IN, SINGING HOT..HAVE FUN.LOUIS:wow:

It has been well documented that double tap lies about their 10mm velocities