Next gun purchase, 45 ACP for sure. 1911? Not so sure yet [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Next gun purchase, 45 ACP for sure. 1911? Not so sure yet

Chris Brines
06-25-2012, 16:43
I need some recommendations on some of the lower end 1911's such as the Remington, Ruger, and Springfield models. I have finally got my gun collection exactly where I want it, and now, well, it's time to make it bigger. So I have no 45, at all. Closest I have is a Glock 23. I'm trying to decide between a Glock 30 or a 1911 of some kind.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the less expensive 1911's. Although I know you get what you pay for, in all honesty, I'd rather just get a Glock 21 or Glock 30 than to pay over $800 or so for a 1911.

I know 1911's have unmatchable quality, but there are SO many out there, and I've heard mixed reviews about alot of them, even the more expensive ones (Kimber mostly). Which kinda makes me skeptical, considering I can get a USED Glock 30 right now for under $400 and can almost rest assured that it will go boom every single time I pull the trigger. But it isn't as "pretty" as a 1911 that's for sure.

I know we don't buy guns for their looks, but I've pretty much gotten all my main defense weapons in my possession, now I'm ready to start buying guns just for the heck of it. And ones that have some character. I really liked the look of those Ruger SR1911's and am wondering if anyone can give me any feedback on this. Or is it really worth it for me to save up $1500 or so and get one of those, (for lack of a better word) expensive ones? I need a little schooing here, 1911's (or any semi autos other than Glocks really) are not my area of expertise.

I may have quite a few questions lol. I read about some guy building his first 1911, and am also wondering what the feasibility of that is, and if it would save me any $$$. Everyone told me building my AR would significantly reduce the price but I didn't see much savings in the end. I'd say I've put close to a grand into that rifle. Love it though. It's also not going anywhere lol...except to the range (I sure as heck hope not anyway...it's ready for whatever comes its way though).

R0CKETMAN
06-25-2012, 17:11
You may want to start your research here..
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts...

Chris Brines
06-25-2012, 17:27
http://www.1911addicts.com/showthread.php?511-Buyer-s-guide-for-all-you-1911-addicts...

Will do. I'm not a "1911 addict" yet but something tells me I will be if I get one. Considering I literally just walked in the door with a new gun and am now posting about my next purchase haha.

glock2740
06-25-2012, 17:56
Good advice Rocketman.
Will do. I'm not a "1911 addict" yet but something tells me I will be if I get one. Considering I literally just walked in the door with a new gun and am now posting about my next purchase haha.
Come check out the Addicts. We're hooked. :cool:

jg420
06-25-2012, 17:58
Yeah if you get a 1911 be ready for that addiction. Since I shot my first 1911 a few years ago I sold all my Glock's and H&k's and am strictly 1911's now. I aspire to have a collection half the size of Bac's one day lol. So I can say I have recently seen the Ruger SR 1911 and I want one now. It will probably be my next 1911 purchase because for $600-650 they are damn nice, and I have heard nothing but good things about them everywhere I have read for the most part. All the 1911's I have or previously owned have been around 1k, but the good thing about a 1911 is you can customize them with or without the features that you like. I like mostly anything made by Springfield from their GI models and their Loaded series which have alot of features for the $$ and well under 1k. Read that 1911 addicts link that Bac gave reviews of on guns out of his collection, it is really informative and goes by price ranges. Hope you join the cult lol

Tallahassee
06-25-2012, 18:43
I'd start looking at Ruger, and Springfield Mil-specs and Range Officers. Get a 1911, you won't regret it :cool:

Chris Brines
06-25-2012, 18:52
I'd start looking at Ruger, and Springfield Mil-specs and Range Officers. Get a 1911, you won't regret it :cool:

Ok, since you said so, I think I will. I will get a 1911. Haha...now, the thing is, I want an affordable one, that is as reliable (meaning trust it with my life) as a Glock. I'm VERY interested in that SR1911. I like Ruger alot, but have so far only really been interested in their revolvers. This 1911 sure is alluring though.

JaPes
06-25-2012, 19:21
I want an affordable one, that is as reliable (meaning trust it with my life) as a Glock. I'm VERY interested in that SR1911. I like Ruger alot, but have so far only really been interested in their revolvers. This 1911 sure is alluring though.

I own a SR1911. I'm not a 1911 aficionado. I wanted a single 1911 in my collection to feel "complete".

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/Ruger%20SR1911/SR1911-1-1.jpg

It's not my primary defense handgun. It's a range duty fun gun. That being said, mine has functioned without issue.

It's not a super tight clearance custom 1911. It's not a sloppy fit pig either. This means it's not ammo sensitive. It functions with the inexpensive 230gr FMJ practice ammo I feed it. It functions with the few JHP's I've put through it.

From the little I know of 1911's, I like that the SR1911 is a series 70 design. There's no added complexity of a firing pin safety. This means that when my cleaning OCD gets the better of me, I can easily detail strip, clean and reassemble the SR1911.

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f275/suba-saab/Ruger%20SR1911/Disassembled.jpg

Tallahassee
06-25-2012, 20:24
Ok, since you said so, I think I will. I will get a 1911. Haha...now, the thing is, I want an affordable one, that is as reliable (meaning trust it with my life) as a Glock. I'm VERY interested in that SR1911. I like Ruger alot, but have so far only really been interested in their revolvers. This 1911 sure is alluring though.

Just don't blame me when the affliction hits and you have 6 and are eyeing 3 more. You've been warned.

You could do a lot worse than a Ruger SR1911. If you want a series 70 design, beavertail grip safety, and upgraded sights it's one of the cheapest ways into the game and still a quality gun.

bac1023
06-25-2012, 20:45
Definitely go with a 1911, especially since you already know you want a 45ACP.

bac1023
06-25-2012, 20:45
Just don't blame me when the affliction hits and you have 6 and are eyeing 3 more. You've been warned.

Amen to that ;)

glock2740
06-25-2012, 21:08

So very true. :rofl:

Chris Brines
06-26-2012, 00:02
Well I am liking this SR1911 more and more, the more I hear about it. I just know 1911's are an entirely new monster to tame as far as learning what's good and what's not, because I've heard some pretty crappy reviews about pretty expensive guns, and good reviews about cheaper ones, and vice versa. Then again, I've shot one Colt Commander that had alot of custom work (that's about all I know there) done to it, and it was, so far, the smoothest and most accurate gun I've ever shot. I shot a plain jane Springfield 1911 (not sure if they have different models), and well, it shot, but nothing like the Colt. People seem to have alot of confidence in their Springfield 1911's though. If the Ruger turns out to be as good as it sounds (I will definitely take one for a test drive, maybe a few times, before buying it), then my mind is close to made up already. Then again, my mind must have been partially made up for me to even have posted in this forum. The thing I'm concerned with is, well, I've heard many diverse reviews about many different 1911's. I'm looking for reliability and durability above all. And although I'm looking for the best value, like always, I will not sacrifice critical qualities to save a buck. Now I'll sacrifice cosmetics and "prettiness" to save a few bucks, for sure. But if it is a sacrifice to reliability, it's not worth it to me. Just saying, that's how I approach any gun purchase.

R0CKETMAN
06-26-2012, 03:30
Well I am liking this SR1911 more and more, the more I hear about it. I just know 1911's are an entirely new monster to tame as far as learning what's good and what's not, because I've heard some pretty crappy reviews about pretty expensive guns, and good reviews about cheaper ones, and vice versa. Then again, I've shot one Colt Commander that had alot of custom work (that's about all I know there) done to it, and it was, so far, the smoothest and most accurate gun I've ever shot. I shot a plain jane Springfield 1911 (not sure if they have different models), and well, it shot, but nothing like the Colt. People seem to have alot of confidence in their Springfield 1911's though. If the Ruger turns out to be as good as it sounds (I will definitely take one for a test drive, maybe a few times, before buying it), then my mind is close to made up already. Then again, my mind must have been partially made up for me to even have posted in this forum. The thing I'm concerned with is, well, I've heard many diverse reviews about many different 1911's. I'm looking for reliability and durability above all. And although I'm looking for the best value, like always, I will not sacrifice critical qualities to save a buck. Now I'll sacrifice cosmetics and "prettiness" to save a few bucks, for sure. But if it is a sacrifice to reliability, it's not worth it to me. Just saying, that's how I approach any gun purchase.

Paragraphs man paragraphs:faint:

I skimmed but picked up on "will not sacrifice"..

Just get a TRP

fnfalman
06-26-2012, 08:52
My advise is to get a West German SIG Sauer P220 in .45ACP and get a Colt M1911A1 in .38 Super. Win-win.

Chris Brines
06-26-2012, 11:43
Paragraphs man paragraphs:faint:

I skimmed but picked up on "will not sacrifice"..

Just get a TRP

The TRP's also look mighty appealing. But I wonder how it compares to the Ruger SR1911 just in general. Considering it's (the TRP) about 40% more expensive.

Well I'll just start reading this here thread and find out what the full blown "1911 addicts" have to say about it. I'm thinking Springfield or Ruger will be my first 1911. But then again, if I am looking at spending upwards of $1300 I could start looking at Colts.

I'm still leaning towards the Ruger. Not exactly sure what purpose my 1911 would serve, I'm pretty comfortable with a Glock 26 for CCW and my GP100 for home defense (I do have more guns than that, but they are in the "reserve" cache).

Haha...there I split my post up this time...I normally do, must have been in a hurry on that last one. Anyone got any feedback on the Remington R1?

See the thing is, I know next to nothing about the design of 1911's. I'm sure I'll be watching plenty of videos on just that, in the coming months. But for now the only semi autos I really know the inner workings of, to any extent at all, are Glocks (and that's because of the YouTube animation).

I have also learned that one of the things that sets Glocks apart from XD's (and others), are the fact that there is very little friction compared to other guns.

This would be because of the 4 tiny slide rails as opposed to more metal on metal contact during firing. If that makes any sense. I watched a YouTube video of a guy stripping both guns and explaining that there is much less friction when a Glock cycles.

Which is why they can run for thousands of rounds without a cleaning. And why a guy buried a Glock 21 for 2 years, rinsed it off with his waterhose, and was able to put 500 rounds through it with no oil at all. That's a pretty good track record for reliability, which to me is the most important thing in any gun. And for alot less $$$ than many other guns.

Basically, I am wondering what I need to look for in a 1911, to ensure I can get that same reliability. I know 1911's require more lubrication, and probably would not work so well if buried for 2 years, but I still would like one that is as low maintenance as possible, just because of the simple fact that I want it to always be ready to go, even if it is desperately in need of a cleaning.

fnfalman
06-26-2012, 15:20
But then again, if I am looking at spending upwards of $1300 I could start looking at Colts.

A basic Colt Government Model is MSRP for $903. You can easily negotiate that down to low $800s. Granted that it's "basic", but you must ask yourself whether or not you need all the extended this and checkering that.

majette
06-26-2012, 15:37
my .02.

.01; trp at 1300.00 is better than a colt at 1300.00. sorry colt fans.

second .01; nm serial number loaded sa over the sr1911.

Lethaltxn
06-26-2012, 15:50
Look for lightly used 1911s. They're always available and still just as good.
I love my Springfield's and have had no issues.
Take your time and look around. I've gotten damn near new in box 1911s for a lot less than new and never had a problem.

Also, upside to SA is lifetime warranties.

uzimon
06-26-2012, 16:03

good luck finding the ruger for $600. they're backordered.
but carters co. has a couple for $800:whistling:

Chris Brines
06-26-2012, 16:38
good luck finding the ruger for $600. they're backordered.
but carters co. has a couple for $800:whistling:

Ha....yeah I saw that post of yours..(or someone's).that's what made me start looking at them in the first place. Unfortunately I can't get one right now. I would if I could, for sure.

uzimon
06-26-2012, 16:47
Ha....yeah I saw that post of yours..(or someone's).that's what made me start looking at them in the first place. Unfortunately I can't get one right now. I would if I could, for sure.

layaway that bad boy. that's how i'm gettin my 6920.
$150 down, 3 months to pay it off. you can do it:supergrin:

plouffedaddy
06-26-2012, 16:55
Let me just say that I love my 1911s, but...

If you're not willing to do one of two things 1. at home tuning/gunsmithing or pay over 1k for a 1911 I'd recommend getting a G30 or 21 if you want to ensure you'll have a reliable gun you can/will trust your life to.

Sub 1k 1911s are hit/miss on reliability in my experience. In fact, I've never had one go over 1k rounds without a failure (some can be blamed on mags, most on extractor tension) but I'm sure others will chime in and say they have. :dunno:

That said, many of my sub 1k 1911s are very reliable with quality mags and extractor tension tuning and/or polishing. It just depends what you want I suppose.

FWIW, both my G30 and G21 are over 4k rounds with 0 failures of any kind.

glock2740
06-26-2012, 17:11
my .02.
trp at 1300.00 is better than a colt at 1300.00. sorry colt fans.

I agree.

Chris Brines
06-26-2012, 17:29
Let me just say that I love my 1911s, but...

FWIW, both my G30 and G21 are over 4k rounds with 0 failures of any kind.

Yeah those are my 2 favorite Glocks and I don't have either one

jg420
06-26-2012, 18:53
my .02.

.01; trp at 1300.00 is better than a colt at 1300.00. sorry colt fans.

second .01; nm serial number loaded sa over the sr1911.

Took the words right out of my mouth. My first 1911 was a Colt Gold Cup which was nice, but for the money I could have spent a little more or around the same price and gotten a Springfield with much more features and just as reliable. I just got back from the range with my Springfield TRP and it ate every reload I put through it without any problems, and has ever since I got it. Colts just do not come with many features for the money, they are not like buying a Colt AR if anyone catches my drift. I have never had any issues with any 1911's I have owned which is 2 Springfields, 1 Colt, 1 Kimber and 1 S&W. They have all eaten everything I have put through them with no problems or extractor tunings. Also there is a Ruger 1911 10 minutes from my house for $650 and has been there a few weeks, my guy ships if you are interested. I carry a 1911 everyday and trust them with my life hands down.

R.Ph. 380
06-26-2012, 19:20
There is a Phillipine produced American Classic II full sized, Commander, Trophy and Officer sized Amigo. Great fit, finish and accuracy. A lot of people are into the Hard chrome, shiney showy pistols but I just like the Blue steel and wood that has been standard for over 100 years. I found the Amigo with it's 3" barrel and shortened grip to be absolutely perfect in handling and accuracy for me due to it's balance. Now, I paid $469.00 otd last year they have gone up about 65.00 in the past year and even Davidson's is having trouble keeping them in stock. See them here:

http://www.americanclassic1911.com/

Bill

Chris Brines
06-26-2012, 22:21
Also there is a Ruger 1911 10 minutes from my house for $650 and has been there a few weeks, my guy ships if you are interested. I carry a 1911 everyday and trust them with my life hands down.

Interested, yes. Financially able? Not at the moment. My last gun purchase was just over 24 hours ago. Not a 1911 but no punk gun by any means. It's my new bedside gun, my first GP100:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj628/Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla/GP100.jpg

Haven't been able to shoot it yet, but this weekend I will for sure. I've heard nothing but excellent things about these guns so I had to get one for myself.