124 +P Gold dot vs. 165 .40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 124 +P Gold dot vs. 165 .40

G21MAN
06-25-2012, 17:54
Hey Mas:

I tried posting this earlier today, but my android phone gave me fits. If this is a duplicate, then please discard this post. Anyways, I shoot both my 92FS and my G23 about the same. Nothing spectacular skill wise either way. Would you recommend I use the Gold dot 124 +P or the 165 grain .40 for home defense? Also, do you recommend the Ranger T or the Gold dot in .40? I think that I can purchase the 165 grain full power Gold dot a little easier than the Ranger T. Thanks.

Mas Ayoob
06-25-2012, 19:38
Can't get more equal than "you shoot them the same." G23 has 14 rounds of .40 and Beretta 92, 16 rounds of 9mm, but you can get extended mags for either so that's a wash in the home defense environment you asked about, where concealability won't matter much.

Nashville PD was very impressed with the effectiveness of their 165 grain Ranger-T in their Glock 22s, and when Speer won the bid with 165 grain Gold Dots, I'm told it was equally effective. Whichever you can get the most of to "proof" the gun with them and practice regularly should be fine.

The 165 grain full speed .40 and the 124 +P 9mm are both good choices and have both made a lot of friends on departments that have to shoot a lot of bad guys. I honestly think you won't go wrong with either, and I for one would be comfortable having either at bedside.

best,
Mas