In Arizona dissent, Scalia blasts Obama’s deportation/immigration policies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : In Arizona dissent, Scalia blasts Obama’s deportation/immigration policies

DOC44
06-25-2012, 19:33
In Arizona dissent, Scalia blasts Obama’s deportation stay, immigration policies

In a stinging, 22-page dissent to Monday's decision striking down most of Arizona's tough anti-illegal immigration law, Justice Antonin Scalia criticized President Barack Obama's announcement earlier this month that he would stay the deportation of young illegal immigrants and suggested that the federal government does not want to enforce its immigration laws.

"The president said at a news conference that the new program is 'the right thing to do' in light of Congress's failure to pass the administra*tion's proposed revision of the Immigration Act," Scalia, a Reagan appointee, wrote in his dissent. "Perhaps it is, though Arizona may not think so. But to say, as the Court does, that Arizona contradicts federal law by enforc*ing applications of the Immigration Act that the President declines to enforce boggles the mind."

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/arizona-dissent-scalia-blasts-obama-deportation-stay-immigration-185431255.html

Doc44

azatrox
06-25-2012, 19:49
Scalia had it exactly right. What the hell Roberts was thinking, I don't know.
I didn't expect that from Roberts, and frankly, I'm disappointed in his decision.

engineer151515
06-25-2012, 21:10
Why should Congress bother to act with new laws when the Executive Branch decides to selectively enforce only the laws the President likes?

Obama Executive Activism FAIL will be epic in the eyes of history