Glock AIWB carry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock AIWB carry

OlliesRevenge
06-25-2012, 19:45
Mas, I've been reading your stuff since the '80's. Thanks for sharing so much, over so much time!

I have read all your AIWB related answers here in the GATE forum, and I know you recognize AIWB as an acceptable means of carry -- but so far I have not seen you address the type of gun you consider acceptable for this type of carry.

As I'm sure you know there are differing schools of thought on this:

Some consider a manual external safety equipped pistol the only acceptable alternative for AIWB (i.e. HK USP w/ thumb safety)
Some would consider a DA/SA type pistol w/ no external safety acceptable.
Still others are OK with carrying a Glock AIWB.

I have been carrying a G19 w/ 5.5 connector & NY-1 spring (for a DA revolver weight pull) AIWB for a few weeks now -- & I'm thinking of going to the "-" connector w/ NY-1 spring for a slightly lighter pull. Am I crazy to have a 'ready to fire' Glock pointed at my junk all day?

Given a competent & trained individual, what are your thoughts on the type of pistol acceptable for AIWB?

Thanks!

Mas Ayoob
06-26-2012, 12:23
There are national champion/national record holder shooters who've accidentally shot themselves. No one is so cool that they're perfect and immune to error. At such moments, I for one would rather have a .45 caliber suction lipectomy ballistically performed on my butt, than have a bullet go where it's aimed in appendix carry.

Look at it like an engineer. You want layer after layer of safety nets. A hammer you can hold in position when holstering is one such safety net. An engaged manual safety is another. A long, heavy trigger pull might be a third.

I've carried AIWB and don't personally care for it for a number of reasons, but urge those who do use it to holster like my friend, Instructor Phil Wong, by leaning back while doing so to angle the muzzle out away from vital zones.

best of luck,
Mas

OlliesRevenge
06-29-2012, 10:45
Mas,

Thanks for your reply. I own several Glocks, and have been in the camp that believes "your trigger finger is the safety!" However, your "layers of safety nets" logic is irrefutable (& There was, if I'm honest, a reason I went to the NY-1 + 5.5 connector setup for my AIWB Glock)

The Glock is a great pistol, and I'll always own several, but the apparent fact is -- there are more inherently safe designs out there -- and nothing will cause a guy to be more acutely aware of safety than having a pistol pointed at his manhood.

I love AIWB; but personally, I'm reserving it for my hammer equipped, DA/SA, HK P30 (& I'll be leaning back when I re-holster). My Glocks will stay IWB at 3:30.

Thanks for the guidance.