I HATE my Sig P229 Equinox .40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : I HATE my Sig P229 Equinox .40

PimpStick
06-25-2012, 22:55
I bought it solely on the "cool factor" of the pistol. Took it to the range today and I have to say I hate it. Maybe I'm just so used to the Glock/XD trigger, but I couldn't hit anything with it in DA or SA. At 15 yards, I shoot my 29 great, my 27 very well.

I even shoot my Kahr P9 way better.

Sig guys, that am I doing wrong?!?

06-25-2012, 23:00
It's all metal, so you can still make some use out of it. Use it as a brick and hit someone with it.

PimpStick
06-25-2012, 23:03
It's all metal, so you can still make some use out of it. Use it as a brick and hit someone with it.

When my 29 runs out of ammo, I'll throw it like a boomerang.

JBJ16
06-25-2012, 23:35
99.99% nothing is wrong with the gun. :cool:

NEOH212
06-26-2012, 01:18
I bought it solely on the "cool factor" of the pistol. Took it to the range today and I have to say I hate it. Maybe I'm just so used to the Glock/XD trigger, but I couldn't hit anything with it in DA or SA. At 15 yards, I shoot my 29 great, my 27 very well.

Practice Practice Practice!

It's not the gun.

Your welcome.

Good luck and happy shooting! :wavey:

06-26-2012, 01:24
Practice Practice Practice!

It's not the gun.

Your You're welcome.

Good luck and happy shooting! :wavey:
Thank me.:supergrin:

bac1023
06-26-2012, 04:35
You'll get used to it.

bac1023
06-26-2012, 04:36
:rofl:

ca survivor
06-26-2012, 08:30
Sigs 229 are great pistols, the Equinox ?

Jameson4all
06-26-2012, 09:14
This is all my opinion, but the P226 and P229 are some of the best pistols around IMO. Once you master the DA/SA trigger the accuracy is fantastic, the shoot-ability is great and reliability is excellent. Also both come in 357 sig.

carbuncle
06-26-2012, 09:18
Here's my strategy for mastering the DA/SA trigger: shoot primarily in DA, slow fire, and decock after every shot for at least half to 2/3 of your range session, every time. Works for me!

SigFTW
06-26-2012, 09:21
It's not the Sig. You just need to spend some time at the range. Get some snap caps and practices trigger pull at home, it makes a huge difference.

Gratz on a great pistol.

ctfireman
06-26-2012, 09:27
I'll buy it.

SigFTW
06-26-2012, 09:28
Thank me . You’re gratitude is appreciated.:supergrin:

You’re gratitude is appreciated. :tongueout:

dbak
06-26-2012, 09:34
Your Sig is most likely just a lemon. Pm if you wanna sell it. I'll take it off your hands.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

mr00jimbo
06-26-2012, 09:54
I have the same problem. It's just that you're used to the Glock trigger. I can group my Glock well. I can't with the Sig. Not the arrow, it's the Indian.

svtpwnz
06-26-2012, 09:54
I would venture to guess that the problem lies not with the pistol but with the shooter. My 229 9mm is one of the best shooting pistols that I own. As others said, just spend some trigger time with it and congrats on your new Sig.....I guess.

Slackinoff
06-26-2012, 09:58
Consider mastering this weapon a challenge. I have purchased my share of pistols that I didn't naturally shoot well. But when I challenged myself and basically relearned to shoot with a new weapon, I became a better shooter overall. My old standby, good shooting pistols, (1911) I could shoot even better after mastering a new pistol.

oldnoob
06-26-2012, 10:13
How many rounds have you fire it?

WoodenPlank
06-26-2012, 10:19
Easiest solution for the DA/SA trigger?

Convert it to DAK, obviously. :whistling:

OP, definitely practice with it more. Coming from a Glock, you'll need trigger time to get used to a hammer fired sidearm. In DA, concentrate on a slow, smooth, almost "rolling" trigger squeeze - don't try to stage the trigger. Personally, I very much prefer the DAK trigger in a SIG. However, even that takes some getting used to, along with some time shooting and dry firing it to let the parts get nice and worn in.

Golddog
06-26-2012, 10:56
The "shooter, not the pistol" rubbish appears in everyone of these kinds of threads. But the shooter is proficient with firearms that don't have the crappy Sig triggers or clumsy ergonomics. So maybe it IS the pistol.

In any case, why train with a trigger system which requires more work when there are so many types that are much easier to use from the get-go? That's like running a 10K in work boots instead of running shoes - with practice, you might master it, but so what?

Slackinoff
06-26-2012, 11:13
- with practice, you might master it, but so what?

Some find the challenge fun and rewarding. The purpose of my shooting is to have fun and challenge myself. I like figuring out how to shoot different platforms well, even if that platform is "inferior" by others standards. Heck I just like shooting I guess.

s&wfan
06-26-2012, 11:16
The "shooter, not the pistol" rubbish appears in everyone of these kinds of threads. But the shooter is proficient with firearms that don't have the crappy Sig triggers or clumsy ergonomics. So maybe it IS the pistol.

In any case, why train with a trigger system which requires more work when there are so many types that are much easier to use from the get-go? That's like running a 10K in work boots instead of running shoes - with practice, you might master it, but so what?

Sig has a pretty ok trigger.

Saying "shooter not the gun" doesn't mean the shooter is bad, just means shooter isn't familiar with the different characteristics of the gun (in this specific case, at least).

Golddog
06-26-2012, 11:17
I get the challenge/new platform attraction. But I've opted to go the quickest route for optimum results in the event of an emergency: cocked and locked. Stock Glock would also work just fine for me.

Slackinoff
06-26-2012, 11:38
I get the challenge/new platform attraction. But I've opted to go the quickest route for optimum results in the event of an emergency: cocked and locked. Stock Glock would also work just fine for me.

Yea I understand, I carry glock because I think it is one of the better choices for cc. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that cross training for me, has resulted in me shooting my glock better. If you don't have the time, then yea, why not just master one gun?

jsnowden
06-26-2012, 12:01
I was the same way with my P229 the first couple of times to the range. After 4-5 times, I was shooting very, very well. It's definitely not the Sig!

NeverMore1701
06-26-2012, 12:17
You're just not used to shooing a comfortable gun with a good trigger. Give it time.

Deaf Smith
06-26-2012, 17:38

You are just used to a different type of trigger (plus the Sig as some backlash after the hammer falls.)

Lots of dry firing is needed to get used to it.

Look at it this way, one day you may be FORCED to use a SIG, learn it now, before you have to shoot to save your life with one.

Deaf

collim1
06-26-2012, 17:45
Many years ago I switched police departments and was required to give up my Glock 23 for a Sig P226. I was not happy about that at first and had difficulty making the switch.

Now, years later and several thousand rounds of shooting, I dont own anymore Glocks, and traded my off-duty carry gun (Glock 26) for a Sig P239 in 9mm.

The Sig is a great gun, give it a chance and practice as much as possible.

collim1
06-26-2012, 17:49
Dont forget, Sigs like to be run wet. I prefer using grease on the Sig frame rails. Dont be afraid to apply a healthy dose of grease to the slide and frame rails before hitting the range. It will protect the alloy frame from damage and improve reliability.

I use cheap automotive white lithium or Hoppes gun grease and both are very cheap and work very well for extended shooting sessions.

DoubleWide
06-26-2012, 18:11
I'd say you're not used to the trigger (compared to the trigger pull). Look at how your finger is laying and if you're pushing or pulling the gun to the side with it.

dnuggett
06-26-2012, 18:42

Here is a simple analogy for you-

A guy complains that he can't drive his F430 for crap. All he has ever driven is an Expedition. You can certainly say "why learn to drive the sports car?" "With practice you may to learn to drive it to from point a to point b but then so what?"

If you don't get the "so what" of mastering a finely engineered tool then ok, that's fair. The rest who do get it, love the "so what."

Boats
06-26-2012, 18:45

He's using Glocks. By definition he's used to crappy triggers and clumsy ergonomics.

He just needs better technique to master the SIG.

Jade Falcon
06-26-2012, 20:04
Time to get rid of it, and get something you'll truely appreciate and/or shoot for pleasure.

Dawolf
06-26-2012, 20:24
I had a equinox, and the shiny top of the slide distracted me, and made my shots inconsistent. Put some black electrical tape on it, problem fixed, but took off the tape and sold it.

PimpStick
06-26-2012, 21:25
The funny thing is that I can group 2" groups with most of my 1911's at 20 yards as well.

I know it's not the gun, I guess my question was more to see if anyone else had similar issues...

And I guess my point was that, even though I KNOW the Sig is a fine firearm, It's Just Not For Me.

I hear the same stuff I said about the Sig regarding my 1911's.

PimpStick
06-26-2012, 21:27
You're just not used to shooing a comfortable gun with a good trigger. Give it time.

I'm way impatient...for me, trading the 229 for 2 Glocks makes sense.

06-26-2012, 21:34
I'm way impatient...for me, trading the 229 for 2 Glocks makes sense.
Agree. If you don't like it, there's no reason to keep it. And, this time, I'm serious.:wavey:

rilkil23
06-26-2012, 21:50
Reminds me of the S&W snubby I had to have. I will hit something, eventually, but probably not my target. I hung in there for about 500 rounds and called it quits. I'm convinced that a person who can shoot a DA/SA is a better marksman than me. When I have more time and money I will try another wheel gun. Enjoy the journey.

SigFTW
06-27-2012, 08:03
And I guess my point was that, even though I KNOW the Sig is a fine firearm, It's Just Not For Me.

Can't argue with your statement because I feel the same way about Glock, however I can shoot well with one.

You will be giving up one hell of a gun for Tupperware:tongueout: