"Covert Affairs" & Chiappa Rhino [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : "Covert Affairs" & Chiappa Rhino

PlayboyPenguin
06-26-2012, 14:45
I was watching wrestling last night (Yes, I watch wrestling. I am not ashamed of my white trash heritage.) and I saw a commercial for a TV show called "Covert Affairs." I had to rewind the DVR to make sure but the little blond lady in the commercial was toting a Chiappa Rhino. It was one of the "White Rhino" hard chromed models. That has to be the first time I have seen that in a TV series.

PS: Yes, I am so pathetic that I sit around paying attention to the guns people use in TV shows.

http://www.onpointsupply.com/images/chiappa_white_rhino_for_sale_1.jpg

Jim Watson
06-26-2012, 14:51
Great movie prop. It looks kewl and need not be modified to shoot blanks.

fnfalman
06-26-2012, 15:10
The wheelgun is also featured in the Total Recall movie remake as well.

It's a funky piece and I'm not quite sold on it. The trigger pull is light but for some reasons it has a lot of take-up, not to mention high price for an unproven wheelgun. Though they just came out with a .357 Mag model that has an interchangeable 9mm cylinder. I may have to revisit this Rhino.

PlayboyPenguin
06-26-2012, 15:18
The wheelgun is also featured in the Total Recall movie remake as well.

It's a funky piece and I'm not quite sold on it. The trigger pull is light but for some reasons it has a lot of take-up, not to mention high price for an unproven wheelgun. Though they just came out with a .357 Mag model that has an interchangeable 9mm cylinder. I may have to revisit this Rhino.
I would really love to get my hands on one of the 2" models to review.

ronin.45
06-26-2012, 15:57
I haven't seen the Covert Affairs scene yet, but I did notice it in the Total Recall trailer.

Maybe this will be hollywood's new go-to cool gun like the Desert Eagle was a decade ago and the MP7 has been recently.

NeverMore1701
06-26-2012, 15:58
I'd like to try one out, just because of their uniqueness.

janice6
07-15-2012, 14:03
I have two. The 2" and the 4".

I wouldn't advise anyone to try them.

Then you will have to buy one.

cowboy1964
07-15-2012, 14:18
Other than looking interesting, what's the plus side to them? How much money are we talking for these things?

That grip doesn't look very comfortable.

NeverMore1701
07-15-2012, 15:02
Other than looking interesting, what's the plus side to them? How much money are we talking for these things?

The plus side is a markedly lower bore axis for reduced felt recoil, muzzle flip, and faster followup shots.

Travelin' Jack
07-15-2012, 15:14

Actually the grip isn't bad at all, and the trigger is pretty nice.

hoghunter82
07-15-2012, 17:04
Let me get this straight, did you say that you were DVRing wrestling? Would love to know why that is necessary.
Just picking on you. I love yours vids on YouTube. Plus I'm a big Ric Flair & Dusty Rhodes fan (yes, I'm old).

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

janice6
07-15-2012, 17:37
The look is "ugly".

The grip is odd.

Can't be better then a conventional .357 Mag Rev.

Until you shoot one.

RYT 2BER
07-15-2012, 22:20
I've always been intrigued by them... Freakishly overpriced as far as I'm concerned .

cowboy1964
07-16-2012, 22:15
So, judging by the vertical position of the trigger relative to the grip and that groove in the frame, is the trigger finger angled downward somewhat?

I'll have to ask the guys at the gun shop if they've ever heard of this thing.

Honor Bound
07-25-2012, 08:21
A recent American Handgunner article did a quick review of these new revolvers. Over all, the comments were positive. The author said that the bottom cylinder alignment made the recoil of a .357 Mag feel like a .38 Special. I consider this a pretty bold statement. If it were completely true I would have expected to have already heard about it.

Can anyone with some experience comment on this claim?

ChuteTheMall
07-25-2012, 08:55
Since it weighs twice as much as a S&W 340 I would expect felt recoil shooting full power .357 magnum to be gentler.

Since it weighs about as much as a Glock, I see no advantages to packing far less firepower.

Splitting the difference, the S&W Model 327 weighs a bit less but carries 8 rounds of .357 magnum, from an American company with 160 years of experience.

Distributed by MKS Supply in Ohio, the folks who bring you Hi-Points, I have to wonder about quality, warranty, etc.

But I'd still welcome the opportunity to shoot some Rhinos, because I like weird stuff and plenty of folks seem to like them.

SigFTW
07-25-2012, 09:23
I'd like to try one out, just because of their uniqueness.

Yea, I too. It is one ugly gun but I still want to shoot one. :)