Where are all the Shields? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Shields?

G23Gen4TX
06-26-2012, 19:36
Is S&W creating a low supply on purpose? I've been waiting over a month to get one. I'm first in line and none are in. :-(

fusegsp
06-26-2012, 19:51
I got lucky Friday night and scored a 9mm Shield. I was one of the first ones in at the local gunshow. The nines went quick. A couple dealers had one each of .40 and 9mm. One dealer told me his were all sold before the show started because a bunch of people called ahead and bought them and were going to pick them up at the show. The good news is that they were reasonably priced if you could find one. I paid $379 for mine. The Ruger SR 1911 is a favorite of gougers around here. I've seen them marked at $800.

bac1023
06-26-2012, 20:18
I haven't seen one yet. :dunno:

Pepiot
06-26-2012, 20:43
I haven't seen one yet. :dunno:

Me either and Ive been actively lookn since 4/12.

cal45
06-26-2012, 21:04
Need to come to Central FL. Shoot Straight has a few boxes of them (9MM) in their Apopka store.

cowboy1964
06-26-2012, 21:23
I'm pretty sure they aren't holding any back. They ARE in business to make money after all. It's a hot gun.

LawScholar
06-26-2012, 21:24
In the holsters of a bunch of happy shooters who aren't me. :(

G23Gen4TX
06-26-2012, 23:39
I've been waiting for over a month. Called a local academy and they told me they had 2 come in today which sold immediately.

Nakanokalronin
06-27-2012, 00:12
You need to get on as many lists as possible. I lucked out when a used one showed up at my LGS and they only called me about it because I was on a list.

It's a hot item right now so be patient...it's worth the wait. :)

Beanie-Bean
06-27-2012, 01:38
I hope that you can find one--the Academy flyer in the paper listed Shield at $499, which I believe is already above list price. I got mine in April when they were announced, and even called S&W to order spare magazines. Still haven't received those yet, though.

RocPO
06-27-2012, 01:45
I got lucky recently and stumbled on one. Its an awesome little gun. Now if SW would release magazines for sale.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bruce M
06-27-2012, 04:39
Is S&W creating a low supply on purpose? I've been waiting over a month to get one. I'm first in line and none are in. :-(

I do not believe S&W is purposely creating a shortage. My guess is that the popularity of it caused the initial production run to sell perhaps quicker than they thought. I am also guessing that there is not a "production line" that is specifically dedicated to the Shield but that rather if we were at the factory we would see that the people who were putting together Shields a few months ago are currently putting together bigger M&Ps or ARs or case hardened Schofields or something else they discovered they have some extra parts for that they aven't made in a couple decades. But that is just a guess.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
06-27-2012, 05:18
I have had one for over a month now. But, I've been looking for a second one for over a month now. very hard to find

Liebestraum
06-27-2012, 06:46
You guys make me glad I impulse bought mine last month. I think I hit MSRP after taxes, sounds like it was worth it :thumbsup:

Nakanokalronin
06-27-2012, 10:35
I do not believe S&W is purposely creating a shortage. My guess is that the popularity of it caused the initial production run to sell perhaps quicker than they thought. I am also guessing that there is not a "production line" that is specifically dedicated to the Shield but that rather if we were at the factory we would see that the people who were putting together Shields a few months ago are currently putting together bigger M&Ps or ARs or case hardened Schofields or something else they discovered they have some extra parts for that they aven't made in a couple decades. But that is just a guess.

I've actually read on the S&W forum where someone talked to a tech that told them they now have 3 shifts going for Shield production alone due to the demand. If true, S&W has been doing everything just right with the Shield from the very beginning.

I've also been reading many posts where waiting lists for a Shield have 30-50 people on them. Think about all the gun shops nation wide that have similar lists and it's no surprise they seem to just be trickling in.

ZO6Vettever
06-27-2012, 12:09
Capacity 7 or 8 rounds,I can't see where I could ever want one. , M&P9c, capacity 12+1 rounds. All them extra rounds for 1/8" thicker???

Dan Glock
06-27-2012, 12:20
I got one and don't really want it anymore because my XDs haha. and thus everyone wants it!

Nakanokalronin
06-27-2012, 13:11
Capacity 7 or 8 rounds,I can't see where I could ever want one. , M&P9c, capacity 12+1 rounds. All them extra rounds for 1/8" thicker???

It's a lot smaller than it is on paper.

Shield, compact and fullsize
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/Dachandex/oh-9-4.jpg

It comes down to, do I want to wear normal clothes and not print or wear a size or two bigger pants and shirts. I stopped wearing baggy clothes when I was 15 so as an adult, I want to dress nice, still be able to carry yet not let anyone know that I'm carrying. The slide and frame are much thinner when you see them both in person. I have a FS M&P in 9mm and since it's as wide as the compact in width, the Shield is like a toothpick in comparison.

This is not an attack against you or anyone else. This is my thought process on the subject about my personal choice in carry guns and no one else. I quoted you as a reply, not an attack or put down. The adult reference is where I am in life and why I mentioned it. It does not mean I am saying you or anyone else is a "kid". This warning is needed since these threads can go out of whack very quickly and everyone is on the defensive. Happy happy joy joy! :supergrin:

Maybe I should make that my signature. :whistling:

Brad737
06-27-2012, 13:57
I've never fired a Shield, but I did fondle one at the LGS. With some Apex Tactical parts, this baby will be amazing. I'm VERY tempted because my M&P9L is my favorite of the polymer semis. I'm still kind of torn though, because I have 2 Kahrs, and they're SPECTACULAR CCWs.

Magus
06-27-2012, 14:34
My dealer got one in last week. I was able to handle it before it promptly sold. This one was in .40 S&W.

Pretty good ergonomics. I liked it. Will likely be a big seller and hard to find for quite some time.

Did seem a tad big to pocket carry if anyone was thinking about doing so.

DeLo
06-27-2012, 15:03
Need to come to Central FL. Shoot Straight has a few boxes of them (9MM) in their Apopka store.
Those guys are scum.

3rdgen40
06-27-2012, 15:41
I've got one.Not sure where the rest are...:tongueout:

fusegsp
06-27-2012, 15:57
I got lucky recently and stumbled on one. Its an awesome little gun. Now if SW would release magazines for sale.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engineThey're out there.The dealer I got mine from had one 9mm Shield mag for sale. It was either $30 or $35. Should've bought it.

Thumpernator
06-27-2012, 16:40
I've been number one on a waiting list at a large LGS now for over a month. Still waiting for my phone to ring. Already have a Crossbreed holster for it. :)

ca survivor
06-27-2012, 16:49

It comes down to, do I want to wear normal clothes and not print or wear a size or two bigger pants and shirts. I stopped wearing baggy clothes when I was 15 so as an adult, I want to dress nice, still be able to carry yet not let anyone know that I'm carrying. The slide and frame are much thinner when you see them both in person. I have a FS M&P in 9mm and since it's as wide as the compact in width, the Shield is like a toothpick in comparison.

This is not an attack against you or anyone else. This is my thought process on the subject about my personal choice in carry guns and no one else. I quoted you as a reply, not an attack or put down. The adult reference is where I am in life and why I mentioned it. It does not mean I am saying you or anyone else is a "kid". This warning is needed since these threads can go out of whack very quickly and everyone is on the defensive. Happy happy joy joy! :supergrin:

you're missing a white dot (full size) :rofl:

elde
06-27-2012, 18:29
Judging from the posts in the S&W Forum they are all in the flyover states. Haven't seen one for sale in TX or NM since just after the intro. I did pick up a .40 that the gunshop didn't know it had a couple of weeks ago along with a couple of extra mags. Just the right place at the right time for once in my life.

blastfact
06-27-2012, 18:35
There out there. Just find you a FFL or Gun Dealer that really wants to do there job and get one. I got one today for a close friend. Turned him onto one of my FFL Buddy's. He had one in two days for $399 OTD. Ordered on Monday,,,, here today.

Nice little pistol. I'm going to get my wife one later this summer.

Nakanokalronin
06-27-2012, 20:56
you're missing a white dot (full size) :rofl:
Not my pics, but yea I saw that. Those white dots are just plastic inserts that many manufactures are using now. I've seen reports of them falling out of more than just the M&P line. I hope mine falls out since standard white paint is actually brighter.

dnuggett
06-27-2012, 22:08
Judging from the posts in the S&W Forum they are all in the flyover states. Haven't seen one for sale in TX or NM since just after the intro. I did pick up a .40 that the gunshop didn't know it had a couple of weeks ago along with a couple of extra mags. Just the right place at the right time for once in my life.

The local shop I bought my XDS from had two Shields in .40.

G23Gen4TX
06-27-2012, 22:10
I'm #1 on the list at a local store here in Dallas. They had a .40 come in but I want a 9mm.

kj4963
06-28-2012, 07:00
I held and could have purchased a 9mm. They wanted well over MSRP for it, so I passed. Now I have been wainting a little under 2 months for one(4th on a list) I figured I could wait instead of being gouged. So waiting I am:crying:

NavDoc
06-28-2012, 12:26
I handled one the other day. It was not as impressive as I thought it would be. I was really looking forward to getting one. Bought a Ruger LC9 instead.

KentuckyPatriot
06-28-2012, 16:24
I handled one the other day. It was not as impressive as I thought it would be. I was really looking forward to getting one. Bought a Ruger LC9 instead.

The LC9 is a good shooter, but I sold mine a few moments after I purchased my Shield 9...

Better trigger and sights IMO. Sitting in a Desantis pocket holster in my cargo shorts right now without a problem.

When you consider that the LC9 is simply a blued steel (stainless?) compared to the Shield being a Melonite finish it was the icing for me.

YMMV

gatorboy
06-28-2012, 22:07
Got a 40 today. I was'nt Jonesing or on the bandwagon but damn, I'm stoked. It's very thin, Kahr thin. The only thing I don't like is I'll carry IWB, not pocket. Have no se for the 6 rd. mag. If it had a true three finger grip with 7+1, it would be PERFECT for me at least. It's the same width as the 9mm Shield and the 40 Kahrs. The 9mm Kahrs are thinner. Trigger more to my liking (shorter pull and reset) than Kahrs.

redman797
06-28-2012, 22:13
Working at a gun store, although crappy pay, has it's perks! Ive seen about 10 come through our store, we actually had 5 that weren't allocated. Ive gotten to play with them and there nice!!!

only thing i hated was the darn saftey, which should be removable. I am actually thinking of picking one up soon.

And if your looking for holsters, some LC9 holsters, and some SR9C holsters fit like gloves.

KentuckyPatriot
06-28-2012, 22:33
And if your looking for holsters, some LC9 holsters...like gloves.

I can second that a couple of my former LC9 holsters are now Shield holsters...apologies to the makers for the repurposing! :wavey:

Liebestraum
06-29-2012, 06:52
only thing i hated was the darn saftey, which should be removable. I am actually thinking of picking one up soon.

People keep making a big deal of the safety. It takes effort to purposefully engage the safety, let alone accidentally, and well shielded from accidental engagement. Plus, you can still rack with the safety on making loading and unloading safer. I would never carry with it engaged, but I like it there.

Southswede
06-30-2012, 15:08
I've got a 9mm and a 40 S&S Shield.......:dunno:

sfguard
06-30-2012, 16:21
I bought one from a member on this forum. I was happy with the deal and it shoots great

scccdoc
06-30-2012, 16:28
Took my name off the list after waiting 2 months. I'll buy something else, heard the 40's were not shooter friendly anyway.......

glock a-doodle-doo
06-30-2012, 16:50
in houston they were impossible to find. i handled one at academy the week they were out and it took me two months to find them anywhere. i hit up carters country and they had a 9mm in stock at msrp. reluctantly i went to go check it out and when i got there the guy said they just got in a .40. DANG. well, i had to get both of course! they were both test fired within two weeks of each other, which was about a week prior to me buying them so they were extremely fresh. long story short, i actually prefer the .40 shield. the 9mm is like a firecracker with 147 lawman, the .40 a little smoother with 180gr ppu.

if you're really dying to get one, you might have to look in places you're not used to. :P

Thumpernator
07-12-2012, 16:11
Two month wait, but picked mine up yesterday. 9mm

Ski2me
07-12-2012, 19:41
I got lucky I guess, I walked into a gun shop about three weeks ago ane they were just putting a 40 Shield on the shelf. It was an impulse buy and I haven't shot it yet. Still deciding if I like the grip, I have big hands. I'm going to shoot one from the distributor this Sat. at a gun show. If I like it I'll keep mine, if not; anyone want a NIB 40 Shield?

gatorboy
07-14-2012, 13:54
Took my name off the list after waiting 2 months. I'll buy something else, heard the 40's were not shooter friendly anyway.......

Recoil is obviously subjective but in my case, not true what you've heard. I don't carry 9mm so it was 40 or nothing for me and the recoil is very manageable IMO. The Kahr P 40 is the same size as the Shield with 7 rd. mag, maybe a hair shorter in height and recoil is about the same. I can shoot the Shield faster, just wish the grip was true three finger. Still may want to try one out then decide. Good luck.

hogship
07-14-2012, 14:19

This is an excellent post.....well thought out, and expressed.

I also have the MP9c, and also find it's width to be an obstacle to ccw. It's no understatement that the width is probably the most important thing when considering concealed carry. I don't have the Shield, but I do have a Kahr and an LCP......thinner, and much more useful to carrying concealed.......

ooc

cowboy1964
07-14-2012, 15:14
M&P compacts are no worse than Glocks, width-wise.

M&P Shield is for when you can't handle the extra thickness. M&P Compact is for when you can't handle the extra grip length. M&P Full Size is when you can handle both :)

Still waiting for a slim Glock 9. And waiting. And waiting.

Graybar100
07-14-2012, 19:56
I picked one up in Billings Mt. They had two in the display case. One 9mm and one 40 cal. I picked up the 9.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-14-2012, 20:19
Got my second one today. Both in 9mm. I have been chasing a second one for two months now...

DaBurna
07-15-2012, 01:56
Got mine weekend after the release date... At a dealer about an hour out from my hometown. $399 selling price and no one in my city's LGS's had even heard about them... The Galco holster that was made for the Taurus pt-709/740 slim fits like a glove... And was only $25 when I got it! I've been pleased with mine and has about 450rounds thru it thus far 100% reliable!!!

G23Gen4TX
07-27-2012, 16:32
Yay. My shield is in. Picking it up tomorrow. Also got a go pro camera sO it's going to be an interesting sunday.

Bruce M
07-27-2012, 16:56
Congratulations. I hope you enjoy yours. I am thinking they have just shipped some in the last few days.

DoubleWide
07-27-2012, 17:13

Why would you carry the compact when you could be 17+1 for the same width?

It's fractions of inch that make all the difference. These small 9mm pistols just carry so much better. It might not make a difference to you, but it does to a lot of people.

spec357
07-27-2012, 17:23
I got to hold one today at the LGS here in Pa.. It was the nine and it was already spoken for but the guy did not pick it up yet It was a dumb move on my part because now I really want one!

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
07-27-2012, 18:43
We need more Shield pron:

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/doubleshield.jpg

RYT 2BER
07-27-2012, 19:13
I have had mine in 40 for a very long time.

However the roll marks say Walther PPS. :whistling:

Southswede
07-27-2012, 20:29
I have had mine in 40 for a very long time.

However the roll marks say Walther PPS. :whistling:

Not even close to the same feel. The Shield feels so much better.:tongueout:

G23Gen4TX
07-28-2012, 13:20
"Na na boo boo, stick your head in doo doo"

- D. Tosh.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/zoti/06f1874c.jpg

4GLOCKER
07-28-2012, 14:00
My gun store got only one in on Thursday and my name was next on the list. What a great shooter, trigger & good sights. Much better trigger than the LC9. It even fits a few of my holsters.

G23Gen4TX
07-28-2012, 15:03
3 & 7 yards target.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/zoti/41361d40.jpg

15 yard target.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v633/zoti/b3a0c198.jpg

100 flawless round. Really nice trigger this thing has.

gatorboy
07-28-2012, 22:06
My gun store got only one in on Thursday and my name was next on the list. What a great shooter, trigger & good sights. Much better trigger than the LC9. It even fits a few of my holsters.

Been using a High Noon Holsters "Mr. Softy" IWB for a Glock 27 and an Uncle Mike's #3 pocket holster. The HNH holster fit's great. The Uncle Mike's is tight. Since it does have a safety (which I refuse to touch), a handkerchief could be used to break up print with safety on till' you get a good pocket holster.

G23Gen4TX
07-29-2012, 02:37
I have noticed something interesting about the design of the pistol (this is my first M&P pistol).

Apart from the inner workings of the gun which is an improved Glock style mechanism I think this gun was designed with and already have a magazine disconnect installed in it however, it is disabled.

The little yellow sear release lever is actually also a mag disconnect. With the addition of spring tension to that lever that will over come the sear Spring tension it will function just like a mag disconnect.

It will also mean that when you want to disassemble the weapon all you will have to do is pull the mag out. You will not need to release the sear or pull the trigger. Pulling the magazine and racking the slide will release the sear.

Very interesting design.

dakrat
07-30-2012, 16:27
just pick mine up today at our base exchange. $374 total ;). I am a 1911 guy and the Shield feels great and has the same natural point of aim. the trigger has a crispier break than the regular M&P. great pistol

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G23Gen4TX
07-30-2012, 16:54
I shot it again yesterday. Metal human size plates at 15-20 yd and it is very accurate.

It also fit into my Don Hume 721 OWB holster but I'm looking for an IWB King Tuk style holster as I have one for the glocks and it is my favorite.

Beanie-Bean
07-30-2012, 17:35
Good to see that you were finally able to get one and also take it out to the range. I have to agree, the trigger is excellent on the Shield!

I have a King Tuk for the Glock 9/40/357 models, but prefer this one over the Galco Design and the others like it because it doesn't creak/squeak when the weapon is holstered. After I ordered my first one, I stopped looking at other holsters because this one does the job. If you ever add/trade guns, you can always buy another kydex shell and attach it to the leather backing. I don't mind paying sales tax to help out some fellow Texans, either--they're out of Spring, TX and their customer service is outstanding.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/Beanie-Bean/SnW/29cdb9ce.jpg

G23Gen4TX
08-01-2012, 12:38
I had a comptac minotaur before for my Glocks. I could never get used to it. I think they make it too big.

GAFinch
08-01-2012, 19:16

I was at the fun store today during lunch since Chick-Fil-A was slammed and was looking at M&P's. Didn't have a Shield in stock, but they did have a blue dummy gun. With the small grip insert, the regular M&P's/M&Pc's didn't seem much wider than the Shield. Is there really that much of a difference when carrying? The M&P's already look more comfortable to carry than Glocks since the back of the grip is rounded off.

G23Gen4TX
08-01-2012, 21:17
It is indeed very small. As small as my LC9 was but feels much better, looks much better and more important, it shoots much, much better.

kj4963
08-02-2012, 19:37
Found mine on gallery guns 2 weeks ago. had 19 left when I found it. Heard they had 50 to start.