My (inglorious) Beretta Nano Experience [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : My (inglorious) Beretta Nano Experience

MrGlock21
06-26-2012, 20:48
I really like the Nano, as it feels like a “full size pistol” when shooting hundreds of rounds in one session. Well built frame, robust structure, practical sights, nice ergonomics, and I’m actually OK with the trigger which feels like a true DA trigger. I was excited from the very beginning. And I shoot it well and accuratly out to 25 yrds.

At the range, however, the excitement shrunk dramatically, when I experienced several FTEject problems with the usual bulk 115gr ammo as well as quality 115gr ammo. That was after 400 rounds.

Back at the desk I did a little research and dug through a lot of internet pages including the Beretta forum, and I learned that I am not alone. Many Berettians suggested to mind the 'usual break in' procedure without telling with how many rounds a break in period was supposed to remedy the problem.

More strikingly, the conventional wisdom was - well supported by a Beretta rep - that the Nano requires quality ammo, preferably 124gr ammo or heavier.

OK, since I really like that thing, I’m putting up with that shaky argument and order 400 rounds 124gr ammo of different brands.

Boohooo. At the range I realized that the 124gr ammo was more reliable but I still had way too many FTFs to be a happy camper.

So I contacted Beretta CS and I got a reply within 48 hours. The communication was conducted professionally and no nonsense excuses were given. I got a call tag, UPS picked it up, and off the Nano went to the Beretta shop.

After 9 days it came back with the comment: “ Replaced extractor and extractor spring. Polished chamber. Oiled and test fired 30rds of Win 115gr FMJ ammunition with no malfunctions.” (Hmmm…why test fire it with Win 115gr ammo when it had been suggested that only 124gr and heavier would work. :headscratch:)

I put it to the test in two shooting sessions, 400 round each, with all kinds of ammo. During the first session I had 2 malfunctions, one with 147gr Win and one with crappy under-powdered Federal Wally stuff.

During the second session, I had 0 malfuctions, running Gold Dots on the higher end and FMJ Win White box and stuff like brass Monarch on the lower end.

I don’t know what the future brings for my very pistol. The testing/practising will go on, but for now my confidence in the Nano is restored and I have no hesitation packing it.

And Kudos for Beretta CS, thank you Beretta Customer Servise!

amacro
06-27-2012, 12:09
I also have had FTE with my Nano shooting 115 grain ammo, otherwise it's my new favorite daily carry at work or back up to my G19 on weekends evenings etc. I think of it as my single stack Glock the company never made.:wavey:

esh325
06-27-2012, 13:13
Good it went well. I don't think I would have had the patience you did. For me, one malfunction is too much when I'm talking about a brand new auto loader with new factory ammo.

Berto
06-27-2012, 14:25
What is the recoil spring replacement interval?

jb1911
06-27-2012, 14:35
I sold my Nano because I couldn't trust it. I carry a G26 that is 100% reliable.

MrGlock21
06-27-2012, 19:27
Good it went well. I don't think I would have had the patience you did. For me, one malfunction is too much when I'm talking about a brand new auto loader with new factory ammo.

I hear you, and usually I would not put up with malfunctions but get rid of the troublemaker.

But since I really like this gun I was hoping for repair.

MrGlock21
06-27-2012, 19:30
What is the recoil spring replacement interval?

Hmmm... good question...haven't gotten an answer yet.

MrGlock21
06-27-2012, 19:56
I sold my Nano because I couldn't trust it. I carry a G26 that is 100% reliable.

The appeal of the Nano comes from the fact that - for me - it works as a pocket pistol, the baby Glock doesn't.

Interestingly, all of my PF9s are 100% reliable, after 800 rounds fired each, but they are not as shootable as the Nano.

shootingrn
06-27-2012, 20:05
Glad to hear about the good cs. If you read about the Walther PPS there are alot of people who suggest 124 grain ammo. I wonder if it is something to do with the small size of the guns? Seems like a possible correlation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bruce M
06-28-2012, 06:46
Good to hear they took care of the problem quickly.

HexHead
06-28-2012, 06:52
Glad to hear about the good cs. If you read about the Walther PPS there are alot of people who suggest 124 grain ammo. I wonder if it is something to do with the small size of the guns? Seems like a possible correlation.

Kimber Solo manual even states to only shoot quality 124 gr SD ammo, even for practice.

They even go so far as to specify Golden Saber, Gold Dots or Hydra-Shoks.

hsprincipal
06-28-2012, 06:52
Sorry to hear... My Nano has about 400 rounds total and so far has had no issues.

Dexters
06-28-2012, 07:56
At the range, however, the excitement shrunk dramatically, when I experienced several FTEject problems with the usual bulk 115gr ammo as well as quality 115gr ammo. That was after 400 rounds.

So what is the total price of the gun?

Purchase price + 400 rounds or whatever number of rounds is recommended?

Andrewsky
06-28-2012, 07:56
I'm not convinced that locked breech handguns with short barrels are sound designs.

Hardly any of them have any awesome reputation for reliability.

Dawolf
06-28-2012, 08:05
Either I am lucky or I got one that was made well. i have all kinds of ammo through it. It is most accurate with Hornady Critical Defense, but it shot a 100 rounds of Tula without a hiccup. I put Talons on it and it is now my official B.U.G.

fnfalman
06-28-2012, 08:53
I have yet to see any micro 9mm that truly work well.

Bob Hafler
06-28-2012, 14:46
Seems you do hear a lot problems with small 9mm and 380's but I have to say the PM9 I bought it 2010 has been everything I hoped it would be. "O" problems.

tedwhite
06-28-2012, 21:18
My Nano, which is now about 2 weeks old, has about 200 rounds through it, both 115 and 147 grain and not one malfunction. So it's now my daily off-duty carry. I bought it because it is slim and single stack and smooth on each side. And pocketable.

Jim123_321
06-29-2012, 06:43
I got one as well, and have the same issues as you posted about,
No one really knowes what is going on with the pistol, About 90% of the complaints
seem to be fixed by locking the slide back for a week,

The newer ones seem to be running great, Im in the 2,500 range on serial numbers,

Ive been using 115 grain ammo and 124 grain reloads, Still had the problem with the higher load, Just waiting to see what happens in the future, great gun I do like it,
I plan on keeping it at this point, It just hides so nice on the hip, Would love to carry
the G26"s, but its just way to hot in Florida,

IWB the 26 is great, The nano is just easier to hide away

Jim

Dawolf
06-29-2012, 08:05
I got one as well, and have the same issues as you posted about,
No one really knowes what is going on with the pistol, About 90% of the complaints
seem to be fixed by locking the slide back for a week,

The newer ones seem to be running great, Im in the 2,500 range on serial numbers,

Ive been using 115 grain ammo and 124 grain reloads, Still had the problem with the higher load, Just waiting to see what happens in the future, great gun I do like it,
I plan on keeping it at this point, It just hides so nice on the hip, Would love to carry
the G26"s, but its just way to hot in Florida,

IWB the 26 is great, The nano is just easier to hide away

Jim

Reason I switched (26 to nano) as it is way too hot in AZ in he Summer, too.

MrGlock21
06-29-2012, 10:37
So what is the total price of the gun?

Purchase price + 400 rounds or whatever number of rounds is recommended?

I paid 370 plus tax, so I guess the total is about 600.

Dexters
06-29-2012, 12:58
I paid 370 plus tax, so I guess the total is about 600.

That's a good base price. I just don't like mfg saying a gun need 200+ rounds break in to be confident it will work.

Glocks have a break in to seat the rails but they are still reliable during that time.

Bilbo Bagins
06-29-2012, 14:07
I hear you need to do the Kahr break in procedure with the Beretta Nano to make it more reliable. Basically its a fluff and buff (which it sounds like the factory already did) and racking the side back and forth a hundred or so times, then leaving it locked back for a couple of days.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/167641-kahr-polymer-pistol-break-procedure-tips.html

MrGlock21
06-29-2012, 16:27
I hear you need to do the Kahr break in procedure with the Beretta Nano to make it more reliable. Basically its a fluff and buff (which it sounds like the factory already did) and racking the side back and forth a hundred or so times, then leaving it locked back for a couple of days.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/non-xd-handguns/167641-kahr-polymer-pistol-break-procedure-tips.html

Probably a good idea for most Nanos. But for mine it simply was a case of replacing the extractor and extractor spring...which leads me to my own theory. Namely, the design of a marginally working extractor/Espring.

Rumor is that the Nano was originally designed for the 40 S&W cartridge and maybe we have here a 40 extractor being used for a 9.

MrGlock21
06-29-2012, 16:37

It is kinda funny that the cheapest, most fragile, flimsy looking, of my micro 9s work truly well. The PF9s. I have three and they all run smoothly from the very first shot with all kind of ammo. I had not one single problem. In general, KelTec is not known for the most reliable stuff on the market, I guess I'm just lucky.

I also keep telling my PF9s: If you act up, I pack the LCR. That menace keeps them in line :supergrin:

Jim B in CO
07-01-2012, 13:14
I don't know if I'd call it a "micro" 9mm, but my LC9 has so far been reliable through several hundred (between 300 and 400) rounds. :dunno:

kyredneck1911
07-27-2012, 09:02
So far my Nano has been flawless but only been using 124gr. and 147gr. ammo. My gun is a newer version supposedly with an upgrader extractor and barrel.

agb
07-28-2012, 11:31
And I sold my Glock 26 after firing 350 115 gr rounds through my NANO, sideways, upside down, and rightside up with the only FTF the very first round of aluminum cased ammo. Oh, almost forgot. The NANO was degreased an no lubrication was used.

The Glock? Good riddance!

Haldor
07-29-2012, 07:51
It is kinda funny that the cheapest, most fragile, flimsy looking, of my micro 9s work truly well. The PF9s. I have three and they all run smoothly from the very first shot with all kind of ammo. I had not one single problem. In general, KelTec is not known for the most reliable stuff on the market, I guess I'm just lucky.

I also keep telling my PF9s: If you act up, I pack the LCR. That menace keeps them in line :supergrin:

Have had the exact same experience with my PF9. Over 1000 rounds now without a malfunction. The first shot is generally dead center of target too. Followup shots are not quite as good (recoil is a bit sharp with this little guy). I definitely prefer shooting my Glock G26 at the range.

I have never had a problem with my Sub2K either. I think Keltec's reliability rep happened early in the P3AT and PF9's life and has been perpetuated due to the cheesy look of their pistols. It really is not easy to make tiny, lightweight reliable pistols in larger calibers. Ruger made essentially a photocopy of the P3AT and they still had major problems with the initial version.

The teething problems with the first generation PF9 were due to using the P11 barrel in it. Keltec designed a new barrel for the PF9 with different feed ramp geometry and that essentially eliminated reliability problems. They use the PF9 barrel in the P11 now (it works great in either pistol).

agb
07-29-2012, 08:25
[QUOTE=Haldor;19247700]Have had the exact same experience with my PF9. Over 1000 rounds now without a malfunction. The first shot is generally dead center of target too. Followup shots are not quite as good (recoil is a bit sharp with this little guy). I definitely prefer shooting my Glock G26 at the range.

I have never had a problem with my Sub2K either. I think Keltec's reliability rep happened early in the P3AT and PF9's life and has been perpetuated due to the cheesy look of their pistols. It really is not easy to make tiny, lightweight reliable pistols in larger calibers. Ruger made essentially a photocopy of the P3AT and they still had major problems with the initial version.

----------

I have the Smith BG 380 which was bought after my living with the Ruger LCP for about six months. They both shot well. The Smith is clearly better built, far more robust, better recoil springs and features, locks back on last shot, like a miniature larger pistol, I think it is an oz heavier. FIST-Inc of Brooklyn makes the best holsters for it - and for others too, thin Kydex, steel belt clip, good retention. Other 380s with quality is SIG's 238, quite a bit larger and heavier though. And very good looking! I will not pocket a SA though, and neither should anyone. SIG is begging for liability problems.

We are fortunate in this age to have such an abundance of goodies to choose from.

NOT FOR LONG!

Maybe this should be posted on Glock Talk's front page

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FyfkQkchlu4&feature=player_embedded#!

Haldor
07-29-2012, 14:52
I have the Smith BG 380 which was bought after my living with the Ruger LCP for about six months. They both shot well. The Smith is clearly better built, far more robust, better recoil springs and features, locks back on last shot, like a miniature larger pistol, I think it is an oz heavier. FIST-Inc of Brooklyn makes the best holsters for it - and for others too, thin Kydex, steel belt clip, good retention. Other 380s with quality is SIG's 238, quite a bit larger and heavier though. And very good looking! I will not pocket a SA though, and neither should anyone. SIG is begging for liability problems.

We are fortunate in this age to have such an abundance of goodies to choose from.

Agreed. I recall reading less than complimentary comments about BodyGuard. I haven't really looked at it that closely. Weight is really important in a pocket carry pistol (to avoid making it too obvious what you have in your pocket). I will take another look at the BG (and look back through some old threads to see why I have a less than complimentary opinion of it).

To your final point, there are so many great new CCW available today that it is easy to get confused about exactly what you have read about them.

In the pocket .380 field, the P3AT is definitely the best value. Reliability is no longer a concern, weight and size are optimal for a pocket pistol, price is outstanding.

The LPC is the most popular, best selling gun in this catagory. It is basically a nicer looking Keltec.

The Sig is the prettiest (and possibly the most reliable) of the pocket .380's around. Price seems exorbitant for what you get, but people are buying them.

Interesting review here, echoes my reliability concerns with the BG380. The comments about the LPC are in 100% agreement with my own experiences with it.

http://gunnuts.net/2011/09/12/pocket-380-comparison/

The Seecamp is the most exotic of the bunch and I would love to own one, but availability is a bigger problem than the price.

agb
07-29-2012, 16:08
Agreed. I recall reading less than complimentary comments about BodyGuard. I haven't really looked at it that closely. Weight is really important in a pocket carry pistol (to avoid making it too obvious what you have in your pocket). I will take another look at the BG (and look back through some old threads to see why I have a less than complimentary opinion of it).

To your final point, there are so many great new CCW available today that it is easy to get confused about exactly what you have read about them.

In the pocket .380 field, the P3AT is definitely the best value. Reliability is no longer a concern, weight and size are optimal for a pocket pistol, price is outstanding.

The LPC is the most popular, best selling gun in this catagory. It is basically a nicer looking Keltec.

The Sig is the prettiest (and possibly the most reliable) of the pocket .380's around. Price seems exorbitant for what you get, but people are buying them.

Interesting review here, echoes my reliability concerns with the BG380. The comments about the LPC are in 100% agreement with my own experiences with it.

http://gunnuts.net/2011/09/12/pocket-380-comparison/

The Seecamp is the most exotic of the bunch and I would love to own one, but availability is a bigger problem than the price.

My own thinking was pretty much expressed above. The Smith appears to be a superior weapon to the Ruger. I had both and the Smith incorporates lots of original thinking...the Ruger is a copy of the KelTec...improved a tiny bit. The BG 380 seems to be much more robust in every way, rails, springs, metal recoil rod, strength of the hammer, solid retention of the magazine, lockback on last round. So I simply don't agree with the gent's opinion in that report.

I do agree that the SIG may be the most classic amongst these pistols, maybe even the best ergonomics, thought I have no complaint about the BG380 and its great laser. The laser btw, has failed for me - the switch. It was repaired and I had not problems since. I sat on the switch. Well, some of us sit on our guns.

I won't pocket an SA no matter how much someone else likes it. Let someone else shoot themselves in the butt.

Just came back from the range shooting the NANO. Had one FTE - an aluminum casing, natch. 180 rounds. I may have limp-wristed it from exhaustion. The gun is great, a bit hard to hang on to, but one can get a hang of it.

Haldor
07-30-2012, 05:57
So I simply don't agree with the gent's opinion in that report.

He appears to be going on more than just an opinion.

So after shooting experience each, watching them in the rental counter for a year and discussing the firearms with countless consumers and a few coworkers, here are my final recommendations...

Reliability

1. Sig Sauer P238
2. Ruger LCP
3. Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380

While not perfect I have always found the Sig Sauer P238 to be the most reliable of the three firearms. The Bodyguard 380, on the other hand, I have received less than ideal feedback on. Not only has our rental counter gun been back to the factory a few times but (literally) everybody I know who has put more than 400 rounds through the gun has seen it break in some fashion or another. Smith & Wesson will fix it.

I don't get the impression he dislikes the Bodyguard, but rather that he is just reporting what he has seen with his own eyes and heard from his customers.

He did rate the Bodyguard above the LCP for the shooting experience and above the Sig for concealability. It seemed like a reasoned, well balanced review. I see no reason to dismiss his experiences with multiple examples of the Bodyguard as uninformed opinion. Especially since I have seen similar statements from other Bodyguard owners.

agb
07-30-2012, 07:14
He appears to be going on more than just an opinion.

I don't get the impression he dislikes the Bodyguard, but rather that he is just reporting what he has seen with his own eyes and heard from his customers.

He did rate the Bodyguard above the LCP for the shooting experience and above the Sig for concealability. It seemed like a reasoned, well balanced review. I see no reason to dismiss his experiences with multiple examples of the Bodyguard as uninformed opinion. Especially since I have seen similar statements from other Bodyguard owners.

Maybe I was misunderstood. The man's report WAS, balanced. It is one man's opinion. Luckily I have a better opinion - personal experience.

Based on my balanced experience having owned and fired the same pistols (except the SIG; I had explained that I like the SIG, don't like cocked and locked next to my jewelry.) My experience is that the S&W is a better made AND better shooting weapon vis-a-vis the LCP - and unlike the other two, has a number of advanced thinking and features to boot - safety being one.

I bought a late LCP and an early Smith. I had had NO PROBLEMS with the Smith (as reported by some users) other than the failed laser switch. Had the Smith not appeared, I guess, I would have kept the LCP, nice in its own right. The LCP has a few FTF, the BG380 had none. Not one.

The BG380 has a built-in laser - very good one - and I had XS factory instal Big Dot Trijicons. A moot point. I carry mostly the Beretta Nano 9, Walther PPS 9 w. small laser, Big Dots, and the HK P2000sk w small laser and Big Dots. Better yet, my heavily fortified Mossberg. The BG380 I can hide in my cheeks if I need to wear a tuxedo (rarely) or having dangerous sex.

As soon as it becomes available, I'll instal myself (because Beretta has made it so easy to do it) Big Dots on the Nano. I hear the Nano may have, later, a built-in laser in a new frame for nominal cost. It already has provisions for a trigger guard type laser attachment point no one noticed. I never bought, nor like, such a device.

For small pistols I like the new LaserLyte Ver.III, tiny, built of hard anodized aluminum with R-L switches behind the module - the right way to do it. Don't buy Ver. II, which is larger.

http://www.tactical-store.com/ts-lq-ls-fsl-3.html

Seriously, pistol failures have been reported for most, if not every firearm. The SIG P232 for example the unbiased gent never mentioned - see right on SIG's website, prominently displayed. The SAFETY, which I WARNED about, has a habit of disengaging, endangering a man's most valuable gun.