Man with concealed carry permit arrested after pointing gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Man with concealed carry permit arrested after pointing gun

TBO
06-26-2012, 22:16
Man with concealed carry permit arrested after pointing gun at companion's ex-boyfriend, police say

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/crime_and_courts/man-with-concealed-carry-permit-arrested-after-pointing-gun-at/article_86c97512-bee0-11e1-8c8c-0019bb2963f4.html

NC Bullseye
06-26-2012, 23:35
If only he had been open carrying an orange AK this could have all been avoided.

HandyMan Hugh
06-27-2012, 00:46
Of course this should be investigated. However I saw nothing in the article indicating that the gun had been actually aimed at someone. The story said that Parkeh loaded a round into the chamber.

I'm curious as to how the Police who did NOT witness the scene can press charges against either of the men involved.

Bruce M
06-27-2012, 05:39
I'm curious as to how the Police who did NOT witness the scene can press charges against either of the men involved.

I am going to guess probably the same way that the Police can press charges against a murder subject when they did not actually witness the murder themselves. When evidence collected, things like statements, crime scene stuff, etc. reaches a level that could reasonably convince someone that a crime was commited and the subject is the one who did it in some crimes an arrest can be effected even if the officer(s) did not witness it. In some jurisdictions felonies and some misdemeanors are handled like this.

OctoberRust
06-27-2012, 06:39
Alright guys, who was this on glocktalk? :rofl:

"Parekh had a concealed carry permit, and claimed his detention was an illegal arrest."

jph02
06-27-2012, 08:45
I'm not sure who is the bigger tard here. Parekh for getting involved with a girl who still lives with her ex-boyfriend and then pointing a weapon at him? Or Galbriese for getting upset someone's shacked up with his ex. :headscratch:

NC Bullseye
06-27-2012, 09:56
Jer ry! Jer ry! Jer ry!

Osborne
06-27-2012, 12:54
Alright guys, who was this on glocktalk? :rofl:

"Parekh had a concealed carry permit, and claimed his detention was an illegal arrest."

As soon as I saw the headline of the article, I wondered their username on GT.......

DScottHewitt
06-27-2012, 13:01
Of course this should be investigated. However I saw nothing in the article indicating that the gun had been actually aimed at someone. The story said that Parkeh loaded a round into the chamber.

I also noted that the guy banging the ex-girlfriend committed at least one act of violence before he left. {According to the story.}

geoemery
06-27-2012, 18:29
Madison Police has a history of anti-gun positions. That being said I agree with jph02.

TBO
06-29-2012, 06:57
Police: Man arrested on gun charge misunderstood concealed carry law

http://www.channel3000.com/news/Police-Man-arrested-on-gun-charge-misunderstood-concealed-carry-law/-/1648/15253040/-/pi2vha/-/index.html

eracer
06-29-2012, 07:02
Not his house. He was the aggressor. He was stupid.

Mayhem like Me
06-29-2012, 08:05
It appears he followed GNG protocol and said "am I being detained":dunno:

eccho
06-30-2012, 00:20
I am going to guess probably the same way that the Police can press charges against a murder subject when they did not actaully witness the murder themselves. When evidence collected, things like statements, crime scene stuff, etc. reaches a level that could reasonbly convince someone that a crime was commited and the subject is the one who did it in some crimes an arrest can be effected even if the officer(s) did not witness it. In some jurisdictions felonies and some misdemeanors are handled like this.

Your logic simply fails. There is a big difference between arresting someone because their is physical, tangible evidence that suggests or declares guilt and essentially getting involved in he said/she said.

The police can press charges if they believe a crime occurred, but a good lawyer could probably the guy off because it's a matter of who to believe.

All you have to do is create reasonable doubt that you didn't do it.

wprebeck
06-30-2012, 01:10
Your logic simply fails. There is a big difference between arresting someone because their is physical, tangible evidence that suggests or declares guilt and essentially getting involved in he said/she said.

The police can press charges if they believe a crime occurred, but a good lawyer could probably the guy off because it's a matter of who to believe.

Your logic fails, due to being...well, wrong. I need PC to arrest for a felony - nothing else. I can also arrest for domestic violence offenses not committed in my presence, given PC. This is in Kentucky, I don't speak for other state laws...since I neither care nor live there.

noway
06-30-2012, 02:08
Is it me or does all of the player names sounds like girls names? :)

So back to the crime or attempt crimes, the police stopped a individual for possible pulling a gun. Since we don't know what really happen and I'm sure the news has it half right or half wrong or 100% wrong.

Let's speculate;

the gun-owner was in a bedroom of another person, this person probably was invited in and would be assumed a guest, it's probably safe to say he didn't crawl in thru a broken window or bum rush the door or home invade

the aggressor in this case, found the above person in the house, demand the other person to leave ( sounds like a love triangle thing going on ) and some confrontation existed

we also know that other person was charged and also had punched a wall/door ( I forgot which one and not going to re-read the story ), so act of violence was committed

So how do you know the gun owner was not threaten or had any few for their life? If this case was present to court, a defense attorney could easily chew this up a lot of different ways

Sharky7
06-30-2012, 12:54

Bruce M is right. Sorry.

10-32
06-30-2012, 13:45
I'm not understanding how the guy without the gun was charged. Wasn't it his house?
Last I checked, I can wreck anything I like in my house.

Maybe because he was being aggressive toward the couple? :dunno:

uhlawpup
06-30-2012, 15:36

Reasonable doubt is not that easy to create. I defeat attempts to create it on a regular basis when I have reasonable evidence. And credible testimony IS evidence.

derekt28
06-30-2012, 21:08
Never take the media's reporting of an incident to heart, especially in Madison, where the reporters are mostly left wing anti-gun idiots. According to the police report, while the police were interviewing Brandon, Farhan fled the scene of the crime, where a weapon was produced, hence a pursuit ensued, and the police went after Farhan. I read some of the responses, and some view Madison Police, and other officials for that matter anti-gun, I live here and have done so my entire life, and there are good police officers, and then some officers that have an authoritarian complex, but from what I've read, the police did the proper thing in making a stop with their guns drawn (reread the bold, italicized words above). More details are in the police's incident report, lacking in the media's accounts. Farhan pointed a loaded weapon at Brandon after Brandon interrupted Farhan and Brandon's ex-girlfriend in bed together, and in my opinion, and the police for that matter Farhan was far from being threatened in a life and death situation. In summary, they were boinking each other, and maybe from the noises Brandon walked in on them. After looking at the photos, about the only good Madison media has going for them, all I can say is eww.

oh, the actual police incident report is:
http://www.cityofmadison.com/incidentReports/incidentDetail.cfm?id=13416

DScottHewitt
07-02-2012, 08:16
I'm not understanding how the guy without the gun was charged. Wasn't it his house?

I misread it, too. It was the guy banging the girlfriend who had the gun.

derekt28
07-02-2012, 11:19

It was Gabrielse's residence,

but under Wisconsin Statute 947.01 (1) Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in a violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. (2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried.

Gabrielse punched/damaged a door before leaving Farhan and the ex-girlfriend. Under Wisconsin's disorderly conduct law, Gabrielse can be charged because of punching the door. Odd, but the action fits the statute as above.

janice6
07-02-2012, 13:29
Concealed Carry does not allow intimidation at the point of a gun. Brandishing isn't allowed either.

Good for the charges.

10-32
07-02-2012, 14:41
It was Gabrielse's residence,

but under Wisconsin Statute 947.01 (1) Whoever, in a public or private place, engages in a violent, abusive, indecent, profane, boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct under circumstances in which the conduct tends to cause or provoke a disturbance is guilty of a Class B misdemeanor. (2) Unless other facts and circumstances that indicate a criminal or malicious intent on the part of the person apply, a person is not in violation of, and may not be charged with a violation of, this section for loading, carrying, or going armed with a firearm, without regard to whether the firearm is loaded or is concealed or openly carried.

Gabrielse punched/damaged a door before leaving Farhan and the ex-girlfriend. Under Wisconsin's disorderly conduct law, Gabrielse can be charged because of punching the door. Odd, but the action fits the statute as above.

So what he did was "cause or provoke a disturbance" by punching the door, which led to the cops being there, and that's why he got the DC charge. ...makes more sense. Thanks

DrewF86
07-02-2012, 15:05
It sounds like brandishing and intimidation to me. It's hard to gauge from that article but it doesn't sound like a physical confrontation happened. So if they guy didn't think there was an imminent danger to his life, limb, or eyesight he didn't really have a reason to load his gun.

It could go either way, but I wouldn't condemn either side based on this article.

janice6
07-02-2012, 15:10
It sounds like brandishing and intimidation to me. It's hard to gauge from that article but it doesn't sound like a physical confrontation happened. So if they guy didn't think there was an imminent danger to his life, limb, or eyesight he didn't really have a reason to load his gun.

It could go either way, but I wouldn't condemn either side based on this article.

I think so too.

If he feared for his life to the extent of drawing a gun, why didn't he shoot? Not enough fear to shoot means not enough fear to draw a gun.

aaronmj
07-03-2012, 07:09
Here's what happened:

He knew his bravia was in the bedroom, got pissed the ex and her were in the bedroom watching HIS bravia, and wanted it back, so he brandished to threaten.

:supergrin:

DScottHewitt
07-03-2012, 09:56

Punching the door and yelling are considered aggressive, violent acts, by some people.......

10-32
07-03-2012, 12:46
Punching the door and yelling are considered aggressive, violent acts, by some people.......

So ya shoot him then, ya don't just pull the gun and show it to him.

Even still, had the guy with the gun called 911 right away and said he had to draw his weapon to defend himself, he'd be GTG

DrewF86
07-03-2012, 14:23

But does someone punching a door make you feel that your life is in danger? It would put me on high alert, but unless he suddenly came at me I wouldn't say I needed to defend myself. This is just my opinion, but if there isn't an immediate and clear threat to your life, limb, or eyesight, the guns stays put away.

But I don't want to vilify either party. I wasn't there, so it's really easy for me to armchair quarterback this. With what I know right now (which isn't much) I think the guy who drew was in the wrong.

Patchman
07-03-2012, 19:25
I misread it, too. It was the guy banging the girlfriend who had the gun.

So the girl, was she technically the gun guy's girlfriend, or still the other guy's girlfriend, when this happened?

And on this occasion, did the gun guy shoot his wad?

TBO
07-03-2012, 19:43
But does someone punching a door make you feel that your life is in danger? It would put me on high alert, but unless he suddenly came at me I wouldn't say I needed to defend myself. This is just my opinion, but if there isn't an immediate and clear threat to your life, limb, or eyesight, the guns stays put away.

But I don't want to vilify either party. I wasn't there, so it's really easy for me to armchair quarterback this. With what I know right now (which isn't much) I think the guy who drew was in the wrong.

What we often observe in threads where a poster feels some connection is "outcome based reasoning".

A conclusion is reached ('the gun person isn't at fault, or not entirely at fault, or the other person is worse), then the poster sets out in search of an argument to support that. Following such a course can result in silly things put fourth.

Sent from my mind using Tapatalk 2