Revolvers [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Revolvers

owl6roll
06-26-2012, 23:54
If a revolver gets dunked in a creek/river, does it require any special attention. I hosed it down with CLP, inside and out. Should that take care of it??

oldnoob
06-27-2012, 00:10
I would detail clean it. Just to make sure all the mud and moist are out of internal parts. I would hate to open up a Smith side panel one day and found rust in the internal.

Bruce M
06-27-2012, 05:15
I would think that the side plate should be removed and I have heard that at least on S&W's there is some top secret trick to that that may be one of the few times when a tap with some sort of striking device is actually the appropriate method. Failure to do it properly may cause the side plate to effectively warp. But that may just be completely unsubstantiated rumor.

bac1023
06-27-2012, 05:28
What they said

Psychman
06-27-2012, 05:42
OOPsie

Dave.1
06-27-2012, 07:10
If it's a S&W don't try to pry the side plate off.

This is the first video I've found. There are probably more. Sided plate is at about 7:30.
SMITH & WESSON MODEL 10 SERVICE REVOLVER PART 1 - YouTube

If you don't have the mechanical confidence, take it to a quality smith. Good Luck!

Dave

vafish
06-27-2012, 09:32
Any gun that gets dunked in water/mud needs to be detail stripped and cleaned as soon as practical.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Sgt127
06-27-2012, 09:42
...... may be one of the few times when a tap with some sort of striking device is actually the appropriate method.

Actually, smacking a S&W is perfectly normal. In the S&W armorers tool kit is a #1 Babbitt. A big round chunk of lead whose only purpose is to whack parts back into submission. The crane, the sideplate even the point of impact can be adjusted through sheer force.

JAS104
06-27-2012, 09:45
Yep, detail clean it.
Advice though, don't use TOO TOO much CLP.
Don't wanna gum up the mechanisms with lint or dust.
IF that doesn't work, you could always put it in the oven to try it out :tongueout:

FL Airedale
06-27-2012, 13:07
I fell in a river while wearing a S&W revolver. I went to the nearest hardware store and bought a screwdriver and some gun oil.

That was all I needed to completely strip it, dry it out, and reassemble it. I sold it to a pawn shop 11 years later and it was in perfect condition.

Berto
06-27-2012, 15:01
I'd probably pull the sideplate, flush with a degreaser, blow out with air then lube with MP7 or similar.

boozer
06-27-2012, 17:53
Swish it in a clean bucket of clear water, if nothing comes out (dirt) shake it out, put it in a warm place to dry, or a plastic container with dessicant.

Rem-Oil it and function test it. Probably good to go.

VinnieD
06-28-2012, 03:21
Yep, detail clean it.
Advice though, don't use TOO TOO much CLP.
Don't wanna gum up the mechanisms with lint or dust.
IF that doesn't work, you could always put it in the oven to try it out :tongueout:

You sir speak some manner of gibberish. While you speak words I recognize such as CLP and "Too much" you compose them together in a pattern I do not recognize.

JAS104
06-28-2012, 06:09
You sir speak some manner of gibberish. While you speak words I recognize such as CLP and "Too much" you compose them together in a pattern I do not recognize.

:) Or just pour it into a bucket and dunk the revolver. Whichever floats your boat! lol
Or Hopps #9... love that stuff

Jason D
06-28-2012, 16:42
I would think that the side plate should be removed and I have heard that at least on S&W's there is some top secret trick to that that may be one of the few times when a tap with some sort of striking device is actually the appropriate method. Failure to do it properly may cause the side plate to effectively warp. But that may just be completely unsubstantiated rumor.

If you pry the side plate off from a S&W you can and probably will work up burs on it. I have seen several otherwise nice guns that I passed on because some dink wasn't smart enough to remove the side plate correctly.

To remove the side plate you just need to brace the gun/frame on a bench block or mat, and tap the frame a few times with a nylon mallet. The plate will pop right off with no damage.

Any revolver or weapon for that matter that gets dunked needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

A S&W internals come out in several components. Trigger, hammer, rebound slide, and rebound spring. You probably wouldn't need to go much farther than that. It's easy to strip one and easy to put back together.

fastbolt
06-29-2012, 12:39
If a revolver (or pistol) gets submerged in water (whether standing or moving), it should be disassembled, cleaned, inspected and properly lubricated.

If someone isn't knowledgeable and experienced in how to disassemble & reassemble a S&W revolver, they really should take it to a licensed gunsmith (or a S&W revolver armorer, if you know one).

NEVER try to pry a sideplate from a S&W revolver. :faint:

A sideplate can be loosened and removed by holding the revolver in the palm of one hand (sans grip stocks) and using a plastic mallet on the grip frame below the sideplate. I've even used the plastic handle of a screwdriver as a "plastic mallet". It's important not to let the sideplate come loose and skitter along the rest of the frame (damaging the finish or creating a burr on the sideplate).

It's just as important to know how to properly reinstall and tighten down the sideplate without damaging it, too.

Why not just take it to a gunsmith and have it properly disassembled & cleaned?

Someone once brought me an issued 4006 that had been submerged in salt water ... about a year prior. The issued user apparently thought that just cleaning it (field-stripping) would take care of it having been submerged. :upeyes: After a thorough cleaning I had to replace some of the springs due to corrosion.

Drenching an assembled revolver in oil, solvent, CLP, WD-40, etc may help displace water to some extent, and maybe even some particulate debris or other contaminants, but it may also create a situation where an excessive amount of whatever liquid is used may remain trapped in the frame, and that may lend itself to other functioning problems at some point in the future.

Just my thoughts.