Pocket carry: strong hand or weak hand? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Pocket carry: strong hand or weak hand?

Metal Angel
06-27-2012, 09:43
I have decided that my next firearm purchase will be a pocket gun. I haven't decided what to get yet, but I know it has to fit in my pocket. The purpose of this firearm will be, as Nutnfancy calls it, "super carry". Meaning it will never leave my person from the time I wake til the time I sleep. I'm right handed, so my right pocket seems natural, but I plan to still carry my Glock 19 IWB right side as often as I can, and still have my "super carry" on me. So if I have my 19 on the right, it makes sense to have the pocket gun on the left... Right? Or is it just a better idea to always carry strong side since weak hands can be so awkward (Espesially under stress). Also, I don't want to pe switching pockets depending on if I am carrying my 19 or not, and having a gun only weak side feels awkward to me...

dkf
06-27-2012, 10:13
I have been carrying my LCP in my left back pocket even though I'm right handed. Wallet is in the right pocket. You will ahve to experiment to see what you like. Honestly I don't really like pocket carry so I'm going to pick up a little holster or something to get the gun out of my pocket.

ronin.45
06-27-2012, 10:21
If it's a secondary carry gun, left hand makes sense.

If it's your primary, strong side only.

If you choose to carry on your weak side, make sure you get plenty of practice with that hand.

4 glocks
06-27-2012, 10:24
If it's you only gun I would carry it strong hand. If it's your 2nd gun I would carry it weak hand.

collim1
06-27-2012, 10:51
I find it difficult to draw a pistol from my strong side with a primary gun on my belt.

If its carried as a BUG then left pocket makes sense, if its your primary then strong side only.

BTW the jframe Smiths are a great BUG/pocket gun.

Creatism
06-27-2012, 11:06
I carry a pf9 virtually all the time. If its a bug (original purpose) weak hand front pocket in place of a spare mag, if it's my primary, 2days a week, strong side front pocket.
When it's a bug I'm carrying my 36 strong side Iwb, if I'm carrying both it's to awkward to have them both on the same side.
Contemplating leaving it weak side even if it's my primary for continuity of training.

Typed from my iPhone with my thumbs!!

Metal Angel
06-27-2012, 11:08
I find it difficult to draw a pistol from my strong side with a primary gun on my belt.

If its carried as a BUG then left pocket makes sense, if its your primary then strong side only.

I am seriously considering a Smith 642 for this role :)

It seems like you and everyone else are recommending switching which pocket it is in depending on whether it is the only firearm on me, or a BUG. Do you think that inconsistency would be a problem? Maybe not... I used to switch my Glock 19 back and forth between IWB and shoulder rig... Never felt like it would confuse me if I needed it.

Reswob
06-27-2012, 11:11
Depends. Go to the range and practice shooting the gun in question weak hand only. Depending on your level of "ambidexterity" (yeah, I think I just made that up), it could take several hundred rounds to get proficient, or you could never get on paper with it.

collim1
06-27-2012, 11:31
I am seriously considering a Smith 642 for this role :)

It seems like you and everyone else are recommending switching which pocket it is in depending on whether it is the only firearm on me, or a BUG. Do you think that inconsistency would be a problem? Maybe not... I used to switch my Glock 19 back and forth between IWB and shoulder rig... Never felt like it would confuse me if I needed it.

I carry the 442 as a BUG/discreet carry. I carry mine on my ankle as a BUG when on duty, and on my belt or strong side pocket as a primary so I cant answer for switching pockets.

The key is to practice shooting it from how you are going to carry it. Too many people practice with their carry guns by picking them up off the shooting table.

Bren
06-27-2012, 11:45
Must be dangerous where you live. I was once a cop living in the middle of a housing project where I had arrested many of my neighbors and, even then, I didn't feel the need to have a gun on my body 24/7.

Some of you guys seem to be living out an "I'm James Bond" fantasy.

SouthpawG26
06-27-2012, 13:51
Personally, i would carry a backup gun stronghand as well. You might even consider crossdraw for this.

Wearing it for the weak hand infers that you envision the main reason for needing the backup to be incapacitation of the strong hand.

I doubt this.

To me the likelyhood of a stoppage not resolved through tap/rap/bang, or loss of the primary firearm, seems somewhat bigger than planning for stronghand incapacitation.

concretefuzzynuts
06-27-2012, 13:52
Primary - strong. Back up - weak.

I'M Glockamolie
06-27-2012, 13:58
I'd go with strong hand side, all the time. It'll always be in the same place should you need it. If you have the G19 on you, you'll go for it first. If not, go for the pocket gun, which should be strong side every time. I wouldn't be switching back and forth depending on whether you're carrying the G19 or not.

DeLo
06-27-2012, 15:23
Must be dangerous where you live. I was once a cop living in the middle of a housing project where I had arrested many of my neighbors and, even then, I didn't feel the need to have a gun on my body 24/7.

Amazing.

But really the 442/642 is a great BUG.

Metal Angel
06-27-2012, 15:56
Personally, i would carry a backup gun stronghand as well. You might even consider crossdraw for this.

Wearing it for the weak hand infers that you envision the main reason for needing the backup to be incapacitation of the strong hand.

I doubt this.

To me the likelyhood of a stoppage not resolved through tap/rap/bang, or loss of the primary firearm, seems somewhat bigger than planning for stronghand incapacitation.

I'm not really worried about something happening to my strong hand- though options are good. I'm more worried about weighing down one side of my pants. Although, as I said before, I'm thing about a 642 for this role and they don't weigh much, so maybe I won't worry about it. I'll probably get both holsters and just experiment until I like my system.

NDCent
06-27-2012, 16:17
I carry firearms on my strong side and extra ammo on the weak, period. I move my knife to the weak side when I pocket carry a bug.

If my strong arm ever has an injury, I will hopefully already have my weapon drawn. I don't want to be carrying my weapon on the weak side and have to defend a knife, ball bat, punch being thrown, whatever, with my strong arm.

Let the weak side do any body cover or defensive action and the strong side for weapon use/retention only, or to take a leak.

CBennett
06-27-2012, 16:19
Primary - strong. Back up - weak.

^ this

CBennett
06-27-2012, 16:22

When i was a Police officer I never carried a backup. I think in our whole department only 2 of the guys did :) . I normally carry on my days off or when im out downtown but I almost never carry around the house or when im just hanging out with friends.

barth
06-27-2012, 16:27
I like to belt carry my primary G27-357 cross draw.
With a twin ammo pouch on the other side.
And a J-Frame in my strong side pocket.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo18/fc/86/50e40ca40bfe__1318084604000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

concretefuzzynuts
06-27-2012, 16:46
I like to belt carry my primary G27-357 cross draw.
With a twin ammo pouch on the other side.
And a J-Frame in my strong side pocket.
https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/thumbnail/photo18/fc/86/50e40ca40bfe__1318084604000.jpg?tw=0&th=720&s=true&rs=false

Where do you carry all those other barrels? :tongueout:

barth
06-27-2012, 16:51
Where do you carry all those other barrels? :tongueout:

My reputation seems to have preceded me - LOL!
The 4.16" Extended Dual Ported Black Isonite QPQ 357 Sig
barrel from Storm Lake lives in my G27 these days.

WayaX
06-27-2012, 18:49
If it's a secondary carry gun, non-dominant makes sense.

If it's your primary, dominant only.

If you choose to carry on your non-dominant, make sure you get plenty of practice with that hand.

Fixed it for you. I agree with this. I carry mine in my left pocket (Smith 442, dominant).

ChicagoZman
06-27-2012, 19:05

This is my MO as well. 642 is almost always in one of my two front pockets.

concretefuzzynuts
06-27-2012, 19:17
This is my MO as well. 642 is almost always in one of my two front pockets.

Same only LCR. Always in front pockets or coat/jacket pockets. Either as primary or BU. It weighs less than a pound loaded.

bradhenn
06-28-2012, 12:53

So do bad guys in your project make an appointment with you to tell you when exactly when they might attack?:rofl:

Who is living a fantasy?

The point of carrying a gun all the time is you never know when you might need it.

If I never need my gun, that's awesome. But criminals in my neighborhood don't pre-schedule robberies or home invasions, hence they responsibly prepared stay armed at all times.

When carrying one gun, its the pocket gun strong side only. Two guns, BUG is weak side pocket.

Chup
06-28-2012, 13:06

Some of you guys seem to be living out an "I'm James Bond" fantasy. That's like saying you only ware a Seat belt when you think your going to have an accident.

cowboywannabe
06-28-2012, 13:07

if this werent so crazy id say it was meant as a joke, right?

i mean if only we all could see the future like you to know when the bad guy is going to give us a pass so we could walk about unarmed.

i used to live where there was a traffic fatality every week which i had to investigate, and i arrested many of the habitual drunk drivers involved in most of these, and even then i didnt feel the need to drive around in a car with air bags and with my seat belt on 24/7.

damn Chup, you beat me by a minute.

MrGlock21
06-29-2012, 02:51
If it's you only gun I would carry it strong hand. If it's your 2nd gun I would carry it weak hand.

^^^this^^^

why would something else make sense?

MrGlock21
06-29-2012, 03:01
... I didn't feel the need to have a gun on my body 24/7.

Well,............................... good for you.

Your threat assessment (and feeling I might add) is - as usual - superior.

Steff1
06-29-2012, 08:56
Does "supercarry" include sleeping with it on your person and not just the night table ?

FFR Spyder GT
06-29-2012, 09:22
If it's a secondary carry gun, left hand makes sense.

If it's your primary, strong side only.

If you choose to carry on your weak side, make sure you get plenty of practice with that hand.

+1.

If you are pocket carrying a BUG put it in your weak side pocket. And practice drawing and shooting with your weak hand. Plus drawing with your weak hand, transferring to your strong hand and shooting.

Charlie Fox
06-29-2012, 09:47
I carry my P32 in my "weak hand" pocket, mostly because I carry my wallet and knife in my "strong side" front pocket. I've done this for 12 years and have practiced drawing and firing this way a LOT. It works for me.

WarEagle32
06-29-2012, 17:33
I always pocket carry strong side