Human Equivalent of Dog Food? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Human Equivalent of Dog Food?

Bolster
06-27-2012, 12:29
My dog's always excited to eat his dog food. "Oh boy!" he says. "Dog food again!" What's the human equivalent of dog food? Preferably with these dog-food-like attributes:

- Good enough you wouldn't mind eating it frequently.
- Has most of the nutrition you need (carb protein and fat)
- Stores a reasonably long time in a dry state
- Ready to eat
- Economical.

Dog food is basically a protein-rich cereal. But AFAIK, there is no equivalent of "chicken cereal" for humans, such as "ChickenOs" or "MeatyFlakes."

Seems to me the closest we humans have to this, is protein energy bars. What am I missing? Why don't we humans have this advanced food technology?

:odie:

EDIT: Due to widespread misunderstanding of the original question, let me clarify: Dog food is only an analogy for a prepared, homogenous, ready-to-eat, low-cost food. The question pertains to food for humans.

I am:
- not asking whether humans can/should eat dog food.
- not asking if dog food is healthy for humans or dogs.

Kozel
06-27-2012, 12:44
Spam.

You REALLY do not want to know what dog food is made of. I wish I could tell you but you will puke all over your computer.

Breadman03
06-27-2012, 12:48
Trail mix. Use nuts, dried berries, and dried fruits for a decent nutritional balance.

Bolster
06-27-2012, 13:39
Trail mix. Use nuts, dried berries, and dried fruits for a decent nutritional balance.

Really? I thought trail mix/gorp was good for quick energy and killing off the appetite, but nutritionally unbalanced with very high sugar (fruit) and very high fat (nuts). Perhaps I'm wrong. It would have some protein from the nuts. So, yeah, maybe that's as close as we get.

Spam's not nutritionally balanced at all! It scores some of the worst nutrition ratings possible. Rates a solid "F" at caloriecount.com for overall nutritional value, not just its calories.

I keep thinking there must be some sort of high-protein cracker available.

Kaybe
06-27-2012, 13:49
Soylent Green. That stuff is not so tasty, but it does the job.

Bolster
06-27-2012, 13:51
Exactly. I'm looking for Soylent Green.

Cannibalism by the 5th post. A record?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/e9aa_soylent_green_crackers.jpg

wjv
06-27-2012, 13:53
peanut butter. .

MREs. .

John Rambo
06-27-2012, 13:59
Bacon

DoctaGlockta
06-27-2012, 14:00
http://a.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/2183/false.jpg

Breadman03
06-27-2012, 14:13
Really? I thought trail mix/gorp was good for quick energy and killing off the appetite, but nutritionally unbalanced with very high sugar (fruit) and very high fat (nuts). Perhaps I'm wrong. It would have some protein from the nuts. So, yeah, maybe that's as close as we get.

Spam's not nutritionally balanced at all! It scores some of the worst nutrition ratings possible. Rates a solid "F" at caloriecount.com for overall nutritional value, not just its calories.

I keep thinking there must be some sort of high-protein cracker available.

There's always beans, particularly soybeans, but I'm not too sure they would be very palatable without reconstitution.

I think it would be good to graze on throughout the day, keeping harder to prep items that round out nutritional needs for meals.

SFCSMITH(RET)
06-27-2012, 15:01
Human dog food. (http://www.datrex.com/products.html?page=shop.browse&category_id=2)

quake
06-27-2012, 15:44
Jerky maybe, or those old "coast guard ration" bars perhaps?

Different approach; higher-end animal treats can be not bad. I used to eat these until my wife cut me off (after her friends saw me eating them one too many times):
http://source-www.petco.com/assets/product_images/7/757645615051B.jpg

Don't dismiss them offhand. Shelf-stable for over two years, tasted (to me) better than any crackers we'd have in the house, and the ingredient list reads like some yuppie organic food-snob's dream come true:
Ingredients - Organic Barley Flour, Ground Chicken, Organic Carrots, Organic Apples, Chicken Fat (Preserved Naturally with Mixed Tocopherols and Lecithin), Rolled Oats, Rosemary Extract.

That said, I never ate them as more than snack food, so no telling about any potential gastric issues if used large-scale or long-term.

crazi_e
06-27-2012, 16:07
Interesting

wjv
06-27-2012, 17:07
Actually dry dog food doesn't have a long shelf life. Maybe a year or so. Don't know about the canned stuff.

greenman19
06-27-2012, 17:20
http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090616193347/en.futurama/images/thumb/e/e8/Bachelor_Chow.jpg/351px-Bachelor_Chow.jpg

if you can't find this we fed somolia with red beans and rice during the Clinton peacekeeping mission. it works.

smokin762
06-27-2012, 17:26
Dinty Moore. :whistling:

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/dintyMoore/default.aspx/#

Bolster
06-27-2012, 18:26
Different approach; higher-end animal treats can be not bad. I used to eat these until my wife cut me off (after her friends saw me eating them one too many times):

Found some high end dog crackers at Trader Joe's, read the list of ingredients, and it was: wheat, peanut butter, water, carrots, stuff like that (this particular cracker had no meat). I'm still vague on why the dog can eat my food but I can't eat his.

:dunno:

Agree with wjv, no way could dog food have a long shelf life with the fat (oil) it contains. But darned convenient.

Still curious why there really is no "bachelor chow" available: pour it out of the package and eat it, get all the nutrition you need. Flavor optional, the point is to stay alive. Here's someone contemplating a Bachelor Chow recipe (http://hungrybloggers.com/news/real-recipe-bachelor-chow).

I Shooter
06-27-2012, 22:40
Chili with beans is the closest thing for humans to dog food. Then I am told that some old people are eating dog food because because they don't have enough money for every thing. Me, I will go with the chili.

Bolster
06-27-2012, 22:45
Then I am told that some old people are eating dog food because because they don't have enough money for every thing.

You referring to me and Quake?

I think the Dems dust off that "elderly eating dogfood" every damned election season that a R has the presidency, for as long as I can remember. Doesn't seem to ever be a problem when a D's in charge. I've noticed that the homeless also magically disappear as a topic when D's are in the Oval Orifice.

The gullibility of the Am public never ceases to amaze. I wish there were a stock called "Americans Understanding Political Cause and Effect." I would short that stock and make millions.

kirgi08
06-28-2012, 00:03
Actually dry dog food doesn't have a long shelf life. Maybe a year or so. Don't know about the canned stuff.

I've got 3yo dry that is fine.Keep it chilled and away from air.Canned has a long shelf life,we are using 07 dated right now.'08.

quake
06-28-2012, 06:55
...Agree with wjv, no way could dog food have a long shelf life with the fat (oil) it contains. But darned convenient.
You guys are right; I was relying on memory (often a mistake), and when I rechecked I saw I was wrong. Ten months is what they list for dry; so probably 18 months or so realistically.

...I'm still vague on why the dog can eat my food but I can't eat his.
I never thought to put it to her that way. I may go buy a bag of the Newman's Own this week and take it out to her dog's pen, take along with some people food as well, and share both between the two of us.

Thank you for adding to my marital harmony. When she goes crazy-wife on me, I'll be sure to credit you with the idea... :cool:

bdcochran
06-28-2012, 08:22
Why use personal experience as a guide when it is simple to research on google?

By dog food I take it what is meant is canned dog food. This is composed of meat and offal together with, in some products, a cereal or other non-meat filler. The product is cooked and sterilised/pasteurised during the canning process. It should therefore be microbiologically safe to eat for humans. Kibble, dried dog food, could also be taken into account, although it has significantly less moisture, and generally has a lower protein content.

There are some issues that arise from consumption of dog food, however:

Pet foods may be made from animals in which the presence of prions, which cause encephalopathies such as BSE in cattle and variant CJD in humans, may be likely. According to the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), animal by-products in pet food may include parts obtained from any animals who have died from sickness or disease provided they are rendered in accordance to law. As well, cow brains and spinal cords, not allowed for human consumption due to the possibility of transmission of BSE, are allowed to be included in pet food intended for non-ruminant animals. As prions are not exactly living microorganisms, even cooking cannot prevent the transmission of Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).
Nutrition in pet food is often substituted for a cheaper alternative. You may have noticed that pet foods are measured for "crude protein" or "crude fibre". Both have nothing to do with protein content and fibre content we have become so accustomed to in human foods. Crude protein is calculated by taking Total nitrogen multiplied by the nitrogen conversion factor = 6.25. Crude protein can therefore be artifically raised by adding non-protein nitrogen. Non-protein nitrogen (or NPN) refers collectively to components such as urea, biuret, and ammonia, which are not proteins but can be converted into proteins by microbia in the ruminant stomach. Due to their lower cost compared to plant and animal proteins their inclusion in a diet can result in economic gain, but at too high levels cause a depression in growth and possible ammonia toxicity (microbes convert NPN to ammonia first before using that to make protein.) Crude fibre is the term given to the indigestible part of foods, defined as the residue left after successive extraction under closely specified conditions, and has nothing to do with dietary fibre. Therefore long-term consumption of dog food may not be enough to meet a human's dietary needs and could possibly cause problems due to inability to use NPN to efficiently create proteins.

MyUtapia® Of

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Can_humans_eat_dog_food#ixzz1z67hkeQb

bdcochran
06-28-2012, 08:23
If you don't mind eating "downers" and contracting all kinds of diseases, go right ahead and eat dog food.:rofl:

Bolster
06-28-2012, 08:40
By dog food I take it what is meant is canned dog food.

First off, the whole "can humans eat dog food" part is OT. The question is, what human food stores/is convenient/is nutritious like dog food is for a dog.

Original post stated: "Stores a reasonably long time in a dry state." I don't think Quake was talking wet dog food. As I stated, the dog crackers I tried had no meat in them at all.

Why use personal experience as a guide when it is simple to research on google?

As an epistemological question? Because results of a google search are far from infallible !! I'd take my own experience over some random anonymous internet "expert" any day.

Anyway, back to the OP, what is the equivalent of dog food for humans?

At this point I'm thinking it's cereal. I think I saw a Kashi cereal once that had protein.

bdcochran
06-28-2012, 08:41
I caught my French girlfriend eating the doggie treats last year. She thought that they were cookies.:rofl:

cdog533
06-28-2012, 08:43
My dog's always excited to eat his dog food. "Oh boy!" he says. "Dog food again!" What's the human equivalent of dog food?

Selena Gomez
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSsrYeTC1EngLA2HoIenVk71sGoAnoUOlotb3iN9R5OpR6udQSROA

CigarandScotch
06-28-2012, 09:03
Vegemite?

Maine1
06-29-2012, 12:19
How about pemmican?
Most the real practical survival needs were figured out a long time ago. About all we do is update an old idea, and charge more for it.

Bolster
06-29-2012, 13:22
Selena Gomez

Soylenta Gomez? Looks as tasty as a green cracker to me!

Pemmican - yeah, that could count. Lean meat with bone marrow fat (or other fat) and berries. I've never tasted it.

Ugh, I'm sick of looking at this triumphant bonehead in my avatar. The world hands him everything on a plate. Time to change.

BR549
06-29-2012, 14:18
As an epistemological question? Because results of a google search are far from infallible !! I'd take my own experience over some random anonymous internet "expert" any day.

:shocked:

....yet many are right here on GT..

..searching for the answers ...........

.........searching for information from people with real names, real addresses, and bona fide professional certifications...........

.............asking for advice on........

stills
BOB, GHB, BOV, BOL
methods of transportation
airguns
hot dog carts and hot dog chili recipes
alternators and batteries
cars trucks jeeps motorcycles ATVs boats
power inverters
firearms
explosives
impact weapons
lighting
solar power
water purification
home security
insects
books
starting fires
all manner of illegal and legal questions
real estate
investments
markets and blackmarkets
politics
taxes
accounting
medical and health advice
shovels
lights
farming and horticulture
beans
hiding
survival kits
knives
checklists haircuts
hiding
GPS tracking
home repair
vacations
occupations
weather
guerrilla warfare
etc.etc.etc.etc.
etc.etc.etc.etc.
etc.etc.etc.etc.
etc.etc.etc.etc.
etc.etc.etc.etc.

and the all important question of

Human Equivalent of Dog Food

:rofl: :rofl:

:dunno:

Bolster
06-29-2012, 17:13
Dude! There's a huge difference between asking questions on the i-net and taking the internet's word on it as truth. You'd believe an internet post from an anonymous authority over your own experience? I doubt it.

So, hypothetical: Exactly one gazillion liberals (yes, I counted) on the internet are saying Obamacare will lower everyone's health care costs while improving the quality of care for everyone. When the government's in charge, everything gets better. Several months ago my healthcare insurance goes up by several thousand dollars with an explanation from the insurance company that they must raise my rates now, due to Obamacare coming in the future. And, they tender a list of medical services they'll no longer cover. Which should I believe? The internet experts? Or my own lying eyes?

(BTW, what is the "bona fide professional certification" for stills, BOB contents, and etc?)

OK, stick a fork in this thread. It had a good run.

kirgi08
06-29-2012, 18:17
Don't let things get ta ya.'08.

bob_fuller
06-29-2012, 20:59
I shall attempt to be on topic. If you had a combo of jerky and trail mix (minus the sugary stuff and salt from the jerky) that would get you close, I think.

the simplest solution I can think of is rice, but that does require some preparation. can't eat it dry...

Warp
06-29-2012, 21:54
Spam.

You REALLY do not want to know what dog food is made of. I wish I could tell you but you will puke all over your computer.

That depends mostly on what food you buy your dog. If you buy Old Yeller at your local grocery store that runs $15 for 44 lbs, yeah...that's crap.

But what if you buy Fromm? Or even Innova?

If the ingredient list of your dog's food would make you puke, stop buying that garbage for your dog!

kirgi08
06-29-2012, 22:13
We don't,they eat better than we do.'08.

RMTactical
06-30-2012, 09:47
Freeze dried food. It ain't cheap though.

If you want cheap, try Spam.

rgregoryb
06-30-2012, 10:22

you sure it wasn't because you would sniff all your guests butts? or run out the door and pee in the front yard? :supergrin::supergrin:

did I mention leg humping?

quake
06-30-2012, 17:15
you sure it wasn't because you would sniff all your guests butts?
That takes too much work when you walk (relatively) upright.

or run out the door and pee in the front yard? :supergrin::supergrin:
I don't run; it's undignified. And it's backyard only.

{Ok, 'sometimes' it's front yard; but ONLY after dark. Peeing in the front yard in broad daylight would just be tacky.}

did I mention leg humping?
Not me. Too much investment for too little return.

:embarassed:

BR549
06-30-2012, 20:45
Dude! There's a huge difference between asking questions on the i-net and taking the internet's word on it as truth. You'd believe an internet post from an anonymous authority over your own experience? I doubt it.

So, hypothetical: Exactly one gazillion liberals (yes, I counted) on the internet are saying Obamacare will lower everyone's health care costs while improving the quality of care for everyone. When the government's in charge, everything gets better. Several months ago my healthcare insurance goes up by several thousand dollars with an explanation from the insurance company that they must raise my rates now, due to Obamacare coming in the future. And, they tender a list of medical services they'll no longer cover. Which should I believe? The internet experts? Or my own lying eyes?

(BTW, what is the "bona fide professional certification" for stills, BOB contents, and etc?)

OK, stick a fork in this thread. It had a good run.

Dude....like...you....like......totally don't get it do you?

Totally, dude.

G29Reload
06-30-2012, 21:26

Seems to me the closest we humans have to this, is protein energy bars.

Um. No. Fail.

This test, anyway. I would not look forward to this everyday.

Would I eat it if I had to? Yes, of course. Suppose I have 30 of them, and I just dove into the basement after seeing a mushroom cloud, 12 miles away. PResuming the house survives from that distance and all I have to do is wait a month in the basement and that's all I have to eat, I would consider myself lucky compared to some. But look forward to it? No.

We humans are more complex. We crave variety. We're more complex. Dogs, as your exemplar…are more…one dimensional. For us, the laws of repetition bring on boredom, and that's bad for morale. Morale can never be underestimated.

Same goes for Spam. Nice to have as survival food goes, very functional…but even that…

I did have case of energy or protein bars that I tried as part of a diet.

I would have coffee and a bran muffin every morning.

Protein bar for lunch.

Regular meal for dinner.

Lunch got really old after awhile.

Now come to think of it, I do enjoy coffee and my home made walnut cranberry bran muffins every day. For a decade now. at least just for breakfast. So, that's it. My bran muffins, once a day.

kirgi08
06-30-2012, 21:30
Hunger is the best sauce.'08.

Veedubklown
06-30-2012, 23:30
This is actually a really good thread, if it can stay on topic. I'm interested in this, as something that's got filler value (kills hunger) and I can eat it whenever. I don't particularly swoon over food, and never really have. If I could just get around the entire notion of eating, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, hunger isn't fun, and I usually wait too long until I realize I should have ate an hour ago, had I not been too busy with something else.

The "bachelor chow" (http://hungrybloggers.com/news/real-recipe-bachelor-chow) seems like it would work, but I don't think the autor actually tried it out.

Pemmican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican) sounds rather unappetizing.

Any other options? We can say that it can stay frozen for long periods of time, the "wet food" option is still good. Hot pockets, pot pies, and burritos get expensive. I just want something cheap, and "go-to". I've been doin the grilled cheese sammich for the past week. I'm not bothered by the same food every day, just hate to cook. Lately I'll make up 2-3 and stick the others in the fridge.

kirgi08
07-01-2012, 08:19
This is actually a really good thread, if it can stay on topic. I'm interested in this, as something that's got filler value (kills hunger) and I can eat it whenever. I don't particularly swoon over food, and never really have. If I could just get around the entire notion of eating, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, hunger isn't fun, and I usually wait too long until I realize I should have ate an hour ago, had I not been too busy with something else.

The "bachelor chow" (http://hungrybloggers.com/news/real-recipe-bachelor-chow) seems like it would work, but I don't think the autor actually tried it out.

Pemmican (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pemmican) sounds rather unappetizing.

Any other options? We can say that it can stay frozen for long periods of time, the "wet food" option is still good. Hot pockets, pot pies, and burritos get expensive. I just want something cheap, and "go-to". I've been doin the grilled cheese sammich for the past week. I'm not bothered by the same food every day, just hate to cook. Lately I'll make up 2-3 and stick the others in the fridge.

For any dietary considerations options are key.K-9s are nutrient dependent,folk are variety dependent.As ta K9s they can be omnivores as well as humans.We both need fats/proteins and caloric intake.Labor intensive things burn calories quick.You gotta get more for less.As ta dogs Pavlov had it right,as ta humans.No one has it right.In a normal situation folks need IE 2000cal a day.In a stressed situation I'd mark 3000cals a day,stress does effect both breeds.

K9s will eat pretty much anything,we got a blend the uses dry/game and rice ta cover their caloric intake.Try ta give that ta folk and it ain't gonna happen.K9s will deal with bland,folk won't.How does one turn K9 bland ta human use.A FULL spice rack.There are few folk that will consider/follow the 3B scenario.Beans/Bullets/Boots.So set your larder ta balance all this.Our K9s are family and our Family is likewise.We have 2 American Mastiffs and a pound puppy,we've thought this out.'08.

bdcochran
07-01-2012, 08:55
1. go right ahead and buy dog food as your survival food. For that matter, go ahead and buy cat food. Most of them don't die from eating it (except when the bad dog food came from Red China last year-and who cares about whether a dog dies).
2. Two promoting women from New York City decided to sell their own brand of dog food.

Weiner and Mandelbaum, who both went to the University Of Chicago, started the business in 2009 to produce healthy food choices for pets.

Weiner once trained to be a health supportive chef in the city and Mandelbaum has experience as a dog walker and trainer.

According to the company website, Evermore pet food is made of fresh, human-grade ingredients, USDA-certified antibiotic and hormone-free meats and no by-products, fillers, corn, soy, wheat, potatoes, or salt. The food is currently sold throughout New York City and the mid-Hudson Valley.

3. In fact, don't wait, do your own 30 day test and if you survive, post your experience on this web site.

4. No, you are not welcome into my survival circle if you only bring dog food.:rofl:

ColdSteelNail
07-01-2012, 09:19
Jerky maybe, or those old "coast guard ration" bars perhaps?

Don't dismiss them offhand. Shelf-stable for over two years, tasted (to me) better than any crackers we'd have in the house, and the ingredient list reads like some yuppie organic food-snob's dream come true:

That said, I never ate them as more than snack food, so no telling about any potential gastric issues if used large-scale or long-term.

I once saw Paul Newman on a talk show where he opened a can of his dog food, took a spoon and dug in. He said he wouldn't put anything in his dog food that a human couldn't eat.

quake
07-02-2012, 08:16
I once saw Paul Newman on a talk show where he opened a can of his dog food, took a spoon and dug in. He said he wouldn't put anything in his dog food that a human couldn't eat.
I didn't know that.

Fwiw gys, I don't stock dog food as emergency rations, although I confess I genuinely do like the Newman's Own treats. (Sue me for being uncouth, I guess.)

My main point is simply a combination of 'think outside the box', and 'decide for yourself'. There are a lot of folks who let the marketers overly-influence their food choices, just as with choices in other areas.

No, I don't eat dog food other than the occasional Newman's Own, and as I said, there may be digestive or gastric issues that I don't know about if those were eaten on a large scale. But the fact is, the line between people food and domesticated-animal food (fodder) is a very recent distinction. Oats are oats, carrots are carrots, etc. With the increase in processing-levels of both food and fodder, the gulf is definitely greater now than in the past; no denying that, but we in modern America tend to be way over-influenced simply by advertising and trends. (The fact that so many folks will spend much more for a sweatshirt that says "Aero" or "Fitch" than one that says "carhartt" or "strauss", or even nothing at all on it, is evidence of this reality. Nothing but marketing hype and herd mentality there.)

My brothers and I used to grab carrots out of the cull feed pile as we walked thru the silo building when young. They weren't "fda inspected", they weren't even washed; we just grabbed them like a snack when passing by and would rub the bulk of the dirt off them & eat them. Parents would literally have their kids taken away from them nowadays for allowing that, yet look at the health of today's kids vs. the kids of a generation ago. On average, kids are both larger and weaker now than then; that's evident by simply observing people at the store, mall, schools, etc.

All this goes largely back (imo, obviously) to the mass-marketing mentality. Whether it's mcdonalds, sonic, or the convenience dinner/snack items like pizza rolls, etc, the marketers push convenience & pleasure, not nutrition & cost-efficiency. Notice there's not a lot of prime-time advertising for green beans or lentils. The marketed products (largely fast food & processed frozen foods) is the reason we have such an odd and frankly schizophrenic health condition in this country today - we actually have a populace that has managed to become simultaneously overweight and malnourished at the same time. That's bizarre and profoundly disturbing to me personally.

When it's all said & done, the basics of food have been unchanged for millenia. Beans & grains are the bulk staples today, they were the staples a century ago and a millenium ago, and they'll likely still be the staples a century from now. They're what we tend to primarily store in the 21st century, just as they're what the pharoahs stored in biblical times. With retort packaging & other new technologies, this may indeed change with time, but not yet imo.

As far as "the one" food that could be carried & eaten conveniently, the comments on pemmican are spot-on, and others such as jerky, corn dodgers (aka johnny cakes), hardtack, and jerky are good long-term shelf-stable options. Hardtack prepared properly, is supposedly good for 30-50 years; never confirmed that myself. Will we get all excited (like a puppy) to eat them? Imo, it depends on how long it's been since we've eaten last. As kirgi08 said above, "hunger is the best sauce"; and while other simple seasonings can make a huge difference, I believe Kirgi to be right on with that sentiment.

SevenSixtyTwo
07-02-2012, 16:14
Sardines an crackers all mixed up in a bowl. Yeah I know... I've often wondered the same thing. A 20 lb bag of dry beef flavored human food nuggets with all the nutrients we need. Could be very handy during disasters. Could be handy for older folks or those who simply can't cook for themselves all the time. It's made for chimps I believe. We're not too far from them biologically. Some closer than others but you'd think there would be a market for it and a maker to fill that market.

Stevekozak
07-02-2012, 18:48
jerky are good long-term shelf-stable options.Will we get all excited (like a puppy) to eat them? ent.

There is a brand of beef jerky they make in Albuqurque, sold under the name Sante Fe Trail or Route 66, that I would get all excited like a puppy to eat everyday. It is like crack to me. It has two ingredients listed on package" Beef and salt. Two of my favorite things. I would eat that stuff until it killed me, probably. It is so tasty. It is dry, not like this processed stuff you buy in the store here, Jack Link, Bridgford..whatever. It is great stuff!! Now I am craving it!!

Bolster
07-03-2012, 09:50
...something that's got filler value (kills hunger) and I can eat it whenever. I don't particularly swoon over food, and never really have. If I could just get around the entire notion of eating, I'd be happy. Unfortunately, hunger isn't fun, and I usually wait too long until I realize I should have ate an hour ago, had I not been too busy with something else....

My bother!

This could have been written by me; I'm exactly the same. Yes, enjoy tasty food; often don't want to stop and take the time for a flavorful meal, just throw some nutrients down the gullet and get back into the fight.

So "bachelor chow" (best name so far) may be one of those things that you have to make yourself as there's no market for it. I'm tempted to try.

I've been making these protein-rich oatmeal bars for awhile and maybe that's the direction to continue, as they're carbo, fat, and protein in approximately the ratios the body wants. Modestly tasty (due to keeping sugar and fat low) but nothing to write home about.

Main ingredients:

oats
powdered milk and/or protein powder
oil
sugar
peanuts
raisins
a few choc chips
corn

Maybe I've been making 'bachelor chow' all along and didn't recognize it. Proof: the wife won't eat them without making a face.

wrenrj1
07-03-2012, 10:34
McRib.

Commander_Zero
07-03-2012, 19:27
But AFAIK, there is no equivalent of "chicken cereal" for humans, such as "ChickenOs" or "MeatyFlakes."

Seems to me the closest we humans have to this, is protein energy bars. What am I missing? Why don't we humans have this advanced food technology?

We do...or did, actually......here's a link to a blog post (http://commanderzero.com/blog/2011/12/21/multi-purpose-food/) about 'Multi Purpose Food' (MPF). A food product whose designer said “This is what I want. This is what I must have – a product that will provide one-third of a day’s full nutrition in each two ounces. It must not offend any religious dietary law and must make no significant drain on supplies of accustomed food. Production costs should make it available to people having little or no income (under 5 cents a meal). It must have a long shelf life, require no refrigeration and be palatable whether served hot or cold”

And that's exactly what he made.......
http://www.kshs.org/cool2/graphics/foodkitMPFsm.jpg

A more modern equivalent is 'Unimix' (aka Purina Famine Chow). Google it and you can find DIY recipes for the stuff.

Bolster
07-03-2012, 19:47
Excellent find Commander. Now we are back on the trail!

Unimix (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimix), a sort of Purina Famine Chow made of 50% corn, 30% beans, 10% sugar, and 10% oil, all ground together. It makes a gruel when stirred into water, or can be used as flour to make biscuits.

Other interesting possibilities:

Monkey chow (http://www.angryman.ca/monkey.html) thread. Guy records his week of eating nothing but monkey chow, complete with descriptions of his poop.

Prima-Treats (http://www.bio-serv.com/product/PT_Jar.html).

Prison Loaf (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutraloaf), aka Nutriloaf (http://www.avclub.com/articles/nutriloaf,2257/).

Jerky Gorp (http://www.backpacking-tips.com/trail-mix-recipe.html).

1980s vintage Carnation Instant Breakfast Bar (http://mistertoast.blogspot.com/2006/01/carnation-breakfast-bars.html).

Human Daily Ration (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarian_daily_ration).

Scrapple (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapple).

Kongbap (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kongbap).

Plumpy Nut aka Nutriset (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumpy'nut) with a supposedly reverse-engineered recipe (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110227194210AAwX02y). Supposedly the original was made of » Peanut Butter » Dry Skim Milk » Lactoserum » Malto-dextrine » Sugar » Minerals & Vitamins. Oh, wait, here's the real formula (http://www.google.com/patents?id=UGUJAAAAEBAJ&printsec=abstract&zoom=4#v=onepage&q&f=false) for Nutriset, from the patent.

quake
07-04-2012, 07:54
Unimix ('CSB', iirc) has been around for a while, but shelf life is an issue. Never heard of "Purina Famine Chow"; may look & see if that's real or urban legend.

Bolster
07-04-2012, 10:22
I think "Purina Famine Chow" is a sardonic name for Unimix, nothing more.

G29Reload
07-05-2012, 02:06
Hunger is the best sauce.'08.

Yes but….

Not even then.

I've heard severe menu fatigue has even gotten to people in dire circumstances who even with meager rations frequently stopped eating and starved or experienced malnutrition just from having to eat the same crap over and over when it was just some bland crap.

You know, its funny…I remember as a kid asking this same question of my mom…Mom, why do the dog/cat eat the same stuff everyday and they really like it and don't need to eat anything else like vegetables and stuff? I forget what her answer was but it was probably something like "they don't need it" or something.

kirgi08
07-05-2012, 03:26
Mindset.'08.

It's me,not fantasy..Difference being. :dunno:

Restless28
07-14-2012, 09:28
I would say canned pintos. Protein, fiber, carbs. Cheap and plentiful.

owl6roll
07-15-2012, 02:42
Spam.

He's right!!!

rdbjr57
07-15-2012, 14:20
Soylent Green. That stuff is not so tasty, but it does the job.

:rofl:

Bolster
07-16-2012, 22:18
Got to experiment a bit at an "extreme contracting job" where it was hard labor during the day (temps approaching 104 in the shade, but we were working--in the sun---on a roof!) and hotel stay at night.

Found most contractors / construction workers stuck to gatorade, lemonade, or iced tea for flavored drinks, and lots of water.

For snacks, I experimented with a number of things, but the GORP approach worked best for me. Dried fruits of various sorts, and peanuts. You could eat these in a hurry and get back to work.

The other thing that worked well are these small toasted cracker "sandwiches" that had a peanut butter filling. Mostly carbs and fat, with a little protein, but gets a D+ (http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-austin-toasty-crackers-peanut-butter-i86184)rating for nutrition, must be the 15% fat intake.

One guy kept his energy up with milkshakes, but I didn't want to load on those sorts of calories.

magic
08-05-2012, 09:06
There is no human food you can buy that's as unhealthy for people as dog food is for dogs. To find anything similar, you might have to go to Ethiopia.

Our dogs eat real food that we make with ingredients from the same store we buy our food from. Anything from a can or bag (with the exception of a few companies that haven't had recalls and use decent ingredients) is crap that I wouldn't feed to any living creature. If want to find something equivalent for human consumption, try dog food. I get what you're asking, and I know that's not the answer you're looking for. But to ask the question you need to first understand that even dog food doesn't really accomplish what you think it does. It doesn't nourish a dog like you want to be nourished yourself. I'd prefer to try and figure out how to make a dog food as good as some of the snacks folks have suggested here!

Bolster
08-05-2012, 09:41
Dog food was an analogy. Don't get all distracted by the analogy. The topic under discussion is human food, not dog food.

magic
08-05-2012, 10:08
Dog food was an analogy. Don't get all distracted by the analogy. The topic under discussion is human food, not dog food.

Preferably with these dog-food-like attributes:

- Has most of the nutrition you need (carb protein and fat)
- Stores a reasonably long time in a dry state
- Ready to eat.

Dog food is basically a protein-rich cereal. But AFAIK, there is no equivalent of "chicken cereal" for humans, such as "ChickenOs" or "MeatyFlakes."

:odie:

Not trying to pick on you, I was just sayin' dog food doesn't really have the attributes you described. Dogs don't really like dog food, they go crazy for it because they are hungry and they spray a coating of fats on the kibble that tastes really good to them. Seems like the best bet would be freeze dried emergency type food. Similar to the dog food, it's not that it tastes that good, but when you're really hungry, you'll eat it like it's the best thing on the planet.

bdcochran
08-05-2012, 10:19
The founder of Clifton's Cafeteria came up with the human equivalent. It was made and shipped for foreign relief for years.

Like so many other potentially useful UN products, it is not made and sold in the US. Another example is hydration salts and you have to search high and low for the contact information in Missouri for that company.

Do you want proper, commercially long lasting, sealed items like hardtack and pemmican? Well, they don't exist. Instead, the survivalist forums are filled with recipes and people asserting that they can make it cheaper than a commercial source. If, however, you asked one of this self declared survivalists if a hundred pounds had been made and stored for a family of four, the nearly universal answer would probably be "no".

The hard facts of life include an observation that you do need to pay for long storage commercial food (or the "home prepared" assuming that you value your preparation time at no cost) and storage of the same. There is no magical bullet.

The 50 pound box of hot dogs stored for next Saturday's hot dog stand sales isn't going to carry your family very far in the real world.

When I was a kid, my mother would buy 50 pound boxes of hotdogs, put them in the freezer, and we would have to chip them out every day to make lunch for ourselves. With 5 kids and 2 adults, 50 pounds doesn't go very far.:wavey:

SS1
08-05-2012, 10:47
On Dual survival
They said that the FDA requires dog food co. to make there products fit for human consumption, as they ate a can of dog food.
Would that actually make the equivalent to dog food for people, Dog food?

ranger1968
08-05-2012, 10:51
Spam.

Haha, that was the first thing I thought of.....:rofl:

magic
08-05-2012, 11:11
On Dual survival
They said that the FDA requires dog food co. to make there products fit for human consumption

That is definitely not true. Pet food standards are set by AAFCO and foods made with by-products not fit for human consumption are sold on store shelves every day. The pet food manufacturers are regulated by the FDA, but not to the same standards as human foods. I had never heard of Dual Survival, but I looked it up and saw the clip...... Total BS.

Warp
08-05-2012, 16:57
There is no human food you can buy that's as unhealthy for people as dog food is for dogs. To find anything similar, you might have to go to Ethiopia.

Then you are buying the wrong food.

magic
08-05-2012, 17:19
Then you are buying the wrong food.

I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. Otherwise, you are eating some nasty food.

Oh, I see what you're saying. You're talking about dog food! Hahaha! I didn't get what you were saying because I already said I don't buy dog food. I said there are some dog food companies that are decent, but even the ones that people think are high quality are still not that great. People think labels like Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild are high quality, but they have the same low quality ingredients that are not fit for human consumption. Not to mention almost every pet food company has had recalls. There are a few like Honest Kitchen that manufacture food in a human grade FDA inspected facility, but you don't find that food in most stores.

Warp
08-05-2012, 17:49
I think you misunderstood what I'm saying. Otherwise, you are eating some nasty food.

Oh, I see what you're saying. You're talking about dog food! Hahaha! I didn't get what you were saying because I already said I don't buy dog food. I said there are some dog food companies that are decent, but even the ones that people think are high quality are still not that great. People think labels like Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild are high quality, but they have the same low quality ingredients that are not fit for human consumption. Not to mention almost every pet food company has had recalls. There are a few like Honest Kitchen that manufacture food in a human grade FDA inspected facility, but you don't find that food in most stores.

No, you don't. Innova is about the best you find in most stores. We have some specialty stores around here, though.

Kevin108
08-05-2012, 19:58
http://www.starkist.com/product/charlie-s-lunch-kit-chunk-light

Tuna kits with mayo and crackers are my go-to. Kinda salty but good stuff! The can says it's good for ~3 years. I'll see what the packaging says tomorrow. It's what I eat for lunch most days.

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 kit 4.3 oz (124g)
Servings Per Container 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories 210
Calories from Fat 60
DV%
Total Fat 8 g 12 %
Saturated Fat 1 g 5 %
Trans Fat 0 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 3 g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 40 mg 13 %
Sodium 580 mg 24 %
Total Carbohydrate 19 g 6 %
Dietary Fiber 2 g 8 %
Sugars 5 g
Protein 20 g
Vitamin A 0 %
Vitamin C 0 %
Calcium 4 %
Iron 20 %

TangoFoxtrot
08-06-2012, 03:50
Human Equivalent of Dog Food? ......McDonalds!:puking:

eracer
08-06-2012, 04:31
Spam.

You REALLY do not want to know what dog food is made of. I wish I could tell you but you will puke all over your computer.Dogs will eat their own feces. It can't be any worse than that. Right?
:faint:

magic
08-06-2012, 08:17
Dogs will eat their own feces. It can't be any worse than that. Right?
:faint:

Only thing better about their own feces is you know where it came from. :rofl:

Bolster
08-07-2012, 10:35
I really regret using the "dog food" analogy now. So many people think the thread is about eating dog food.

If I'd said "bachelor chow" we would have had an extended discussion of Futurama or the merits of single vs married life.

If I'd said "soylent green" we'd have had the customary off-topic banter about cannibalism.

Seriously, I wasn't asking about eating dog food, or whether or not dog food is healthy or not, or whether dogs like dog food or not, or whether dogs eat their poop or not.

However there have been lots of good suggestions given for HUMAN consumption, so appreciate those, and am experimenting with several of the suggestions given here.

kirgi08
08-07-2012, 11:01
Don't set "gonna be",variables apply.'08.

bdcochran
08-07-2012, 11:50
"Dogs will eat their own feces. It can't be any worse than that. Right?"

I can't resist - look up two girls and cup.:rofl:

bdcochran
08-08-2012, 09:49
I spent the obligatory 15 minutes on google searching for a commercial outlet for human daily ration (made by Amerqual Foods, Eavnsville, In) without success.

You will notice that various "UN" relief products are made available in foreign countries and not here.

Yesterday, I went to Ralph's grocery store. It had unsalted generic crackers for $1.49 a pound and salted for $.99 a pound. Even a loaf of bread on sale was $1.49 a pound plus tax.

When you start addressing putting aside a month's worth of edible food (that does not require heating and clean up) for a family, you are facing spending real money.

If someone has a genuine website for the human daily ration, commercial hardtack or pemmican in bulk, it would be appreciated if it were posted here.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-08-2012, 10:00
About the only thing I can say to BD's question is "sailor crackers" Very near to hardtack, with a LONG shelf life. I have eaten them that were 15 years old (stored in #10 cans) and they were fine. They can be found with a google search, company out of Oregon or Washington state is the distributor. Not really cheap.. but they work.

However.. as easy a recipe as hardtack/flat bread crackers is to make, we just store the raw ingredients. For non long term storage, (and edibility) don't cook until brick like..

bdcochran
08-08-2012, 10:38
thank you sfcsmith - Have a couple of sailor biscuits already.:wavey:

quake
08-08-2012, 12:37

I can't resist - look up two girls and cup.:rofl:

Oh jeez. Do not, do not, do not. Probably 2-3 years ago I saw it and I'm still not over it.

Do not, do not, do not.

quake
08-08-2012, 12:49
...putting aside a month's worth of edible food (that does not require heating and clean up) for a family, you are facing spending real money...
That's a key part of it. Rice, beans, lentils, dry corn, etc, are cheaper - especially in bulk - but aren't a "grab & go", zero-prep solution like crackers & such are. Ten dollars' worth of bulk stuff goes a lot further than ten dollars' of prepared things.

SevenSixtyTwo
08-08-2012, 16:32

Just reminded me why I don't have a dog.:wow:

What by products are in dog food that aren't edible by humans? We eat chicken embryos that shoot out of a chicken's ars whole. We drink bodily fluids from the glands of a bovine beast standing around licking the drool from their own noses. When we eat shrimp, unless we de-vein them, it's not a vein. It's their colon. We're pretty nasty creatures in our own smug kind of way. But I ain't never got up, turned around and said, "hey! that looks good!":shocked:

bdcochran
08-08-2012, 19:30
Don't forget:

1. Rocky Mountain oysters;
2. sea urchins - not the part you eat is not the eggs, it is the sex organ.:rofl:

Bolster
08-10-2012, 12:35
We seem to be wandering far astray from the original question of a ready-to-eat, inexpensive, extended-shelflife food that humans can eat for days on end without suffering ill nutritional effects.

Seems to me the best suggestions so far have been:

Gorp
Beans & Rice
Hardtack
Pemmican
Jerky
Crackers (with various additions, such as PB or Tuna)
The various (apparently unmarketed and unobtainable) foods sent to countries in times of famine, such as Unimix, Plumpy'nut, and Human Daily Ration.

I'm not counting MRE's because of their expense.

I would be interested in trying some of the reverse-engineered recipes of these "famine foods."

Bolster
08-10-2012, 12:57
Repost from Cindy at foodbanter.com:

I found an ingredient list for Unimix that I varied and turned into a
recipe. The result was a corn-bread which I proudly (and
plagaristically) call "Soylent Yellow: Formulation M". Here's the
recipe:

Soylent Yellow: Formulation M
-----------------------------
5 parts corn meal
3 parts bean flour (I used lentil/pea flour)
1 part sugar
1 part oil
dash of salt
enough milk to form a thick batter

Mix and place in a greased dish (thin layer -- no more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick) and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

I also made a variation -- Formulation D, which involves eliminating
the oil and using enough milk to form a sticky dough. This leads to a drier result which isn't as tasty, but may be more texturally pleasing to some palattes. Drying it out may lead to a crunchy variant which may further appeal to other palletes.

Perhaps this isn't "nutritionally complete", but I hope it gives you
an idea of what I'm aiming at. I have protein, I have carbs, I have
B12, I have calcium, I have iodide, fiber, ...

Bolster
08-10-2012, 13:04
This appears to be the ingredient list (http://www.unicef.org/supply/files/8._Improvement_of_Fortified_Blended_Foods_CSB_Products_and_Unimix.pdf)for Unimix. Looks relatively easy to reverse engineer; just throw in a multivitamin to substitute for this mysterious sounding "antioxidant premix."

Generically, this is called an "FBF," a fortified blended food. I guess I should have said "FBF" instead of "dogfood" in the original post, and we wouldn't have needed to get into the eating of poop discussion at all (which yes I do find offensive even on an internet forum).

Stevekozak
08-10-2012, 17:04
we wouldn't have needed to get into the eating of poop discussion at all (which yes I do find offensive even on an internet forum).
Gross and stomach turning, yes, but offensive? What offends you about the fact that dogs eat their own poo? Animals eat all kinds of stuff for good reasons sometimes. Many animals eat their own placentas (and some humans too, talk about stomach turning!) and such. There are reasons that they do. Puke if you need to, but don't get offended. :)

Bolster
08-10-2012, 17:12
Well we are just stuck on poop, aren't we? Do you think there's a chance this thread can return to its original intent, without posters returning to the poop theme like proverbial flies?

This really is an odd forum with a teen-agerish smell to it. Why discussions must be diverted so frequently into multiple postings on excrement or cannibalism or murder, is a mystery to me. I don't find those topics nearly so interesting as food and nutrition.

Perhaps I'm alone on that.

For the record, I've owned many, many dogs, and none of them has ever engaged in what you're accusing them of doing. So I reject even the premise, let alone the extended off-topic discussion of it. Even if you take it as an article of faith, that still has nothing to do with ready-to-eat food for humans. As I've stated multiple times already, I heartily regret ever using the dog-food analogy. This could have been an interesting thread if I hadn't used that metaphor. Clearly it was too vivid and just distracted from the topic.

I would like to discuss types of survival food if that's OK with everyone. Especially interested in the one-dish types of emergency food like Unimix, Plumpy'nut, and Human Daily Ration. Anybody eaten them, seen them, know where to buy them, know how to make them?

kalifornia
08-10-2012, 17:21
dogs dies- sent to animal shelter for disposal-shelter ships carcass to renderer-renderer sends product to pet food manufacture, and the circle is complete.

Stevekozak
08-10-2012, 17:22
Well we are just stuck on poop, aren't we? Do you think there's a chance this thread can return to its original intent, without posters returning to the poop theme like proverbial flies?

This really is an odd forum and I'm becoming disenchanted with it. Why discussions must be diverted so frequently into multiple postings on excrement or cannibalism, is a mystery to me. I don't find either of those topics nearly so interesting as food.

(For the record, I've owned many, many dogs, and none of them has ever engaged in what you're accusing them of doing. So I reject even the premise, let alone the extended off-topic discussion of it.)
Well, I agree talking about excrement is not really interesting. What I did find interesting was the fact that you were offended by the thought of dogs eating theirs (and they really do, even if you haven't ever seen it, not only their own, but other animals as well). That you are offended by it is interesting. :) I agree that talking about food is more interesting and appetizing, though. Maybe there needs to be a seperate forum for people's psychological foilbles. :wavey:

Bolster
08-10-2012, 17:32
(Exasperated sigh.) I didn't say I was offended by dogs. I clearly stated I was offended by the discussion -- by posters that keep bringing up crude off-topic subjects. Clear enough?

M1a65
08-15-2012, 01:05
Tuna and hard tack... yummy

Devans0
08-15-2012, 19:40
Many of the cuisines around the world were based on "human chow". Beans and maize in together in Mexico supply a complete protein. Likewise Dirty rice in Jamaica, soy and rice in Japan, pasta and beans in Italy...

Foods that were locally available, healthful, and inexpensive are the common base ingredients.

BTW, what about eggs?

kirgi08
08-16-2012, 00:20
If you have the ability you can freeze eggs.'08.

Bolster
08-16-2012, 10:12
...or dehydrate (http://www.tacticalintelligence.net/blog/how-to-make-powdered-eggs.htm) eggs.

SFCSMITH(RET)
08-16-2012, 10:25
Actually, if refridgerated, whole eggs keep a LONG time. Months. But we just keep about 20 laying hens..

pugman
08-17-2012, 11:15
Actually, if refridgerated, whole eggs keep a LONG time. Months. But we just keep about 20 laying hens..

Smith,

Check out Doomsday Preppers. There was a woman on there who had eggs last I believe a year. IIRC it was coating the shells in Mineral oil?

magic
08-17-2012, 12:02

This really is an odd forum with a teen-agerish smell to it. Why discussions must be diverted so frequently into multiple postings on excrement or cannibalism or murder, is a mystery to me. I don't find those topics nearly so interesting as food and nutrition.

For the record, I've owned many, many dogs, and none of them has ever engaged in what you're accusing them of doing. So I reject even the premise, let alone the extended off-topic discussion of it. Even if you take it as an article of faith, that still has nothing to do with ready-to-eat food for humans. As I've stated multiple times already, I heartily regret ever using the dog-food analogy. This could have been an interesting thread if I hadn't used that metaphor. Clearly it was too vivid and just distracted from the topic.

I would like to discuss types of survival food if that's OK with everyone. Especially interested in the one-dish types of emergency food like Unimix, Plumpy'nut, and Human Daily Ration. Anybody eaten them, seen them, know where to buy them, know how to make them?

I think your problem is that this thread started in GNG. If you would have posted it in the survival and preparedness forum, you probably would have gotten more relevant replies.

Actually, after I think about it, the poop thing would probably still have come up! :rofl:

Seriously though, dog food was the topic because the entire premise stating that dog food is a healthy and economical food source is false. It was important to know that even dog food does not do what you think it does for dogs. It's not complete with nutrition and it doesn't properly sustain life. There is no magic kibble for dogs that has everything they need. Humans and dogs both require variety in diet to stay healthy. Dehydrated food is really the best bet for what you want, but you will have to reconstitute it with water.....unless you like eating powdered food that absorbs every last drop of spit you got in your mouth.

Smith,

Check out Doomsday Preppers. There was a woman on there who had eggs last I believe a year. IIRC it was coating the shells in Mineral oil?

I don't keep chickens, but we are hoping to start soon. I remember that episode and don't remember, did she keep her own chickens? Or were those store bought eggs? I ask because I was told eggs will keep just as long if you don't wash the bloom off. I think she was using store bought eggs and that's why she had to coat them, because the farms wash off the bloom and the eggs become porous. Also, you can keep eggs for months at room temp, but I think once they are refrigerated, you must keep them refrigerated.

Bolster
08-17-2012, 12:27
I think your problem is that this thread started in GNG. If you would have posted it in the survival and preparedness forum, you probably would have gotten more relevant replies.

Thanks for diagnosing "my problem," but once again, I am baffled by your comment.

I posted this thread to the S/P forum, just as it exists now. So, what are you talking about?

Seriously though, dog food was the topic because the entire premise stating that...[repeating your previous OT post, blah blah blah]

Wrong again, and still, and persistently. I'm sorry to see that you insist in misunderstanding the topic under discussion and DRAGGING the topic back to dog food, (and poop,) despite multiple attempts on my part to clarify that dog food is actually irrelevant to my question. If you want to discuss ad nauseam the unhealthiness of dog food, please start another thread.

Slackinoff
08-17-2012, 13:13
Bolster,

With the soylent yellow mix are you wanting to cook a bunch and store away or keep the ingrediants availible?

I love cornbread, and will try this soon.

magic
08-17-2012, 13:24
Thanks for diagnosing "my problem," but once again, I am baffled by your comment.

I posted this thread to the S/P forum, just as it exists now. So, what are you talking about?

Wrong again, and still, and persistently. I'm sorry to see that you insist in misunderstanding the topic under discussion and DRAGGING the topic back to dog food, (and poop,) despite multiple attempts on my part to clarify that dog food is actually irrelevant to my question. If you want to discuss ad nauseam the unhealthiness of dog food, please start another thread.

My honest mistake, for some reason I thought the thread got moved here.

As for the rest of your reply, your pissy attitude is totally unnecessary. I simply referenced YOUR post and provided a reply. Not to mention that it was a joke, meant to lighten things up. I guess the ":rofl:" wasn't clear that it was meant as a joke.

I already posted my vote for freeze dried foods, and mentioned in my last post that dehydrated is even better. I also was interested in discussing egg storage. I made comments relevant to the subject, but you decide to turn into a hypocritical little b***h and reply to the poop again.

Bolster
08-17-2012, 13:35
Bolster,

With the soylent yellow mix are you wanting to cook a bunch and store away or keep the ingrediants availible?

I love cornbread, and will try this soon.

Haven't tried, Slack. Interested, though.

Currently working on humble long-storage foods. When the wife and kids are away, I experiment with my storables, so I have the skills to make tasty meals if I must rely on them.

This is basically my "human dog food" here, I like it a lot, could (and actually do) eat it repeatedly.

Stored "Red" Lentils with home dried tomatoes and onions,
over stored Rice,
with cashews and stored raisins on top.

Pretty much all of the ingredients come from the deep storage larder.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/Bolsterman/LentilsonRice.jpg

Bolster
08-17-2012, 13:42
your pissy attitude...you decide to turn into a hypocritical little b***h and reply to the poop again.

Magic: The differences between you and me are probably uncountable.

But one difference is that my criticism of you pertains to your persistent off topic ruminations and thread-derailment. Not only do you go OT, but then you go on long-winded defenses of why you did.

On the other hand, your criticism of me is personal, foul-mouthed name-calling. I've half an inclination to reply in kind but--we're different. I'll stay out of threads you start, do me the kindness of staying out threads I start.

John Rambo
08-17-2012, 14:26
On the other hand, your criticism of me is personal, foul-mouthed name-calling. I've half an inclination to reply in kind but--we're different. I'll stay out of threads you start, do me the kindness of staying out threads I start.

I heard you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny, too. :tongueout:

Anyways, back to the human equivelent of dogfood which doesn't exist. I've enjoyed reading the ideas and food stores in this thread. Keep 'em coming.

magic
08-17-2012, 14:47
I heard you're ugly and your mother dresses you funny, too. :tongueout:

Anyways, back to the human equivelent of dogfood which doesn't exist. I've enjoyed reading the ideas and food stores in this thread. Keep 'em coming.

:thumbsup:

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Bolster
06-13-2013, 11:51
Another (new) Soylent product...

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body/

wjv
06-13-2013, 12:53
Bacon!

JuneyBooney
06-14-2013, 11:52
http://a.onionstatic.com/images/articles/article/2183/false.jpg

:supergrin: I agree. Micky D's are still only a dollar for a McDouble.

fx77
06-14-2013, 12:03
The usual food groups
Pizza,
Beer,
Steak,
Peanut Butter-Chocloate

Brian Lee
06-14-2013, 15:29
Seems to me the closest we humans have to this, is protein energy bars.

Don't be fooled by "Energy Bars" or "Sports Drinks"

They are all nothing but unhealthy crap full of sugar, and they WILL make you fat, as well as bringing your overall level of energy down to a much lower level than where it would have otherwise been, only a few hours after eating them.

To advertise sugar water as a sports drink, or a candy bars with granola mixed in as an energy bar, is a crock and a lie, but as usual, the pubic is way too easily fooled. Put a thin coat of paint on a dead donkey, and the public will think it's a triple crown winning race horse.:faint:

It would make just as much sense to show pro basketball players eating little chocolate doughnuts and drinking orange crush at half time with the claim that that crap is actually good for you. No joke.

Sure sugar gives a short rush followed by a crash, but to encourage doing it over and over is stupid and not worth the overall reduction in health and the negative impact that would have on athletic performance.

John Rambo
06-14-2013, 17:55
Don't be fooled by "Energy Bars" or "Sports Drinks"

They are all nothing but unhealthy crap full of sugar, and they WILL make you fat, as well as bringing your overall level of energy down to a much lower level than where it would have otherwise been, only a few hours after eating them.

To advertise sugar water as a sports drink, or a candy bars with granola mixed in as an energy bar, is a crock and a lie, but as usual, the pubic is way too easily fooled. Put a thin coat of paint on a dead donkey, and the public will think it's a triple crown winning race horse.:faint:

It would make just as much sense to show pro basketball players eating little chocolate doughnuts and drinking orange crush at half time with the claim that that crap is actually good for you. No joke.

Sure sugar gives a short rush followed by a crash, but to encourage doing it over and over is stupid and not worth the overall reduction in health and the negative impact that would have on athletic performance.

No.

http://www.questproteinbar.com/ingredients/

Thats just one.

magic
06-19-2013, 11:08
Another (new) Soylent product...

https://campaign.soylent.me/soylent-free-your-body/

Interesting, but I think I'll follow this one to see how the test group survives before trying it! :whistling:

nursetim
06-19-2013, 11:24
Potatoes. Just watch out for blyte. Would I be excited as a dog to eat them day in day out? Not likely, but I also don't suffer taste fatigue as most. I've been eating the same diet for months now with very little variation and except for my cheat day.

I wonder if you can survive on the fairly new substance the feed starving children, nutter fluff, not fluffnutter, or something along those lines. As I understand it, it's peanut butter and dried milk along with certain vitamins. Sounds interesting.

barbedwiresmile
06-22-2013, 06:54
I'm late to the thread, so maybe this has been said already, but dog food is hardly 'advanced technology'. It's basically the waste by products of industrial food production. Most of it is corn soaked in chicken blood and dried. It's horrible. And American dogs, perhaps the unhealthiest in the world, pay the price. There is no such thing as 'dog food', really. There is only 'food'.

Ironically, most Americans already subsist on the "human equivalent of dog food". And that's why they are so unhealthy, prone to nutrition-related diseases, overweight, tired, and rotting from the inside out.

pugman
06-22-2013, 07:12
I'm late to the thread, so maybe this has been said already, but dog food is hardly 'advanced technology'. It's basically the waste by products of industrial food production. Most of it is corn soaked in chicken blood and dried. It's horrible. And American dogs, perhaps the unhealthiest in the world, pay the price. There is no such thing as 'dog food', really. There is only 'food'.

Ironically, most Americans already subsist on the "human equivalent of dog food". And that's why they are so unhealthy, prone to nutrition-related diseases, overweight, tired, and rotting from the inside out.

BWS,

This all depends on what you feed your pooch.

People who feed their beloved pets this..should have to eat it themselves for a month and see how they feel.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ol-Roy-Complete-Nutrition-Dog-Food-50-lb-Dogs/22004588

Its only comparison to this as dog food is who eats its

http://bluebuffalo.com/dog-food/lp-puppy-chicken?pf=1&type=dry&animal=dog

Blue Buffalo, Wellness and the better foods do have grains in them; but they are human grade products. Honestly, yes I have eaten some of the stuff we feed our dogs (dry only...this isn't the Road warrior yet). Some of it tastes like oyster crackers without salt, some a flavorless cookie; but I could eat it.

Most of the food I feed the pugs and cats we have is the opposite of those Walmart numbers.

Walmart $19 = 50#s. Pugman $50+ = 17#'s

As the procurer of many rescue animals its evident those in their earlier life who were feed well (and by well I mean good food) and not.

Our last 2 pugs lived to 17 which is rare for the breed.

Still watching this thread for something you can eat hot/cold, has everything you need, tastes decent, etc.

kirgi08
06-22-2013, 07:35
Poptarts,if I recall they have a good amount of nutrients in them.They are fairly light weight and have a great shelf life.'08.

OMDonald
06-22-2013, 09:06
Poptarts,if I recall they have a good amount of nutrients in them.They are fairly light weight and have a great shelf life.'08.

GK?

kirgi08
06-22-2013, 09:17
Do what.'08. :dunno:

OMDonald
06-22-2013, 09:58
Do what.'08. :dunno:

GnKd?

Just kidding, ya know :hide:, like a tactical wheelbarrow filled with .22lr, tactical pop tarts, etc. Remember all that stuff?

While I'm here, mac-n-cheese? (probably already mentioned)

John Rambo
06-22-2013, 13:41
BWS,

People who feed their beloved pets this..should have to eat it themselves for a month and see how they feel.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ol-Roy-Complete-Nutrition-Dog-Food-50-lb-Dogs/22004588

Blue Buffalo, Wellness and the better foods do have grains in them; but they are human grade products. Honestly, yes I have eaten some of the stuff we feed our dogs (dry only...this isn't the Road warrior yet). Some of it tastes like oyster crackers without salt, some a flavorless cookie; but I could eat it.

Most of the food I feed the pugs and cats we have is the opposite of those Walmart numbers.

As the procurer of many rescue animals its evident those in their earlier life who were feed well (and by well I mean good food) and not.

Still watching this thread for something you can eat hot/cold, has everything you need, tastes decent, etc.

I like the Blue Buffalo line. I think its great food. I have nothing bad to say about its quality. But Christ, spending that much on your dog's food? Unless its got some kind of condition which requires it, thats a little bit beyond what most people are willing to deal with for their pet.

I've got a Pug, started him on that Rachel Ray Nutrish stuff a while back. Not expensive at all. Decent ingredients. Since then he's lost 4 lbs (hes a fat boy, now down to 30lbs!) and he has plenty of energy, his stool is fine, his coat is great, and he almost never gets sick. Obviously, I supplement that with fresh fruits, veggies, and meats to pick up the slack. You should probably supplement any dogfood, no matter how much you pay, with those things to keep your animal healthy.

But if they love it and it doesn't make them obese or in poor health, who's to say its terrible base food just because it doesn't have gourmet ingredients? Its dried and processed foodstuffs, not a steak at Bern's.

pugman
06-22-2013, 14:22
I like the Blue Buffalo line. I think its great food. I have nothing bad to say about its quality. But Christ, spending that much on your dog's food? Unless its got some kind of condition which requires it, thats a little bit beyond what most people are willing to deal with for their pet.

I've got a Pug, started him on that Rachel Ray Nutrish stuff a while back. Not expensive at all. Decent ingredients. Since then he's lost 4 lbs (hes a fat boy, now down to 30lbs!) and he has plenty of energy, his stool is fine, his coat is great, and he almost never gets sick. Obviously, I supplement that with fresh fruits, veggies, and meats to pick up the slack. You should probably supplement any dogfood, no matter how much you pay, with those things to keep your animal healthy.

But if they love it and it doesn't make them obese or in poor health, who's to say its terrible base food just because it doesn't have gourmet ingredients? Its dried and processed foodstuffs, not a steak at Bern's.

A 30#'er-that is certainly a porker pug.

Real human grade food stuffs doesn't mean gourmet.

The fact you supplement with fresh fruits and veggies is awesome...remember 95% of people 1) don't do that and 2)their idea of supplement is cookies,potatoe chips and whatever else they eat.

I assure you better nutrition early in life is just like a human child. We have rescued pugs who we had to put down much earlier than we should had to because of poorly developed joints in which later in life attempts to allevate the pain through drugs, diet, massage, chiro, accupunture, etc didn't work. BTW, Mrs Pugman is a vet tech so we have money for steak since we don't pay premium for services.

All our early rescue pugs have died at or near 17, none have had any serious physical problems outside of old age. One died of cancer related problems

I can't say I've heard of the RR food-will have to check it out.

John Rambo
06-22-2013, 14:43
A 30#'er-that is certainly a porker pug.

Real human grade food stuffs doesn't mean gourmet.

The fact you supplement with fresh fruits and veggies is awesome...remember 95% of people 1) don't do that and 2)their idea of supplement is cookies,potatoe chips and whatever else they eat.

I assure you better nutrition early in life is just like a human child. We have rescued pugs who we had to put down much earlier than we should had to because of poorly developed joints in which later in life attempts to allevate the pain through drugs, diet, massage, chiro, accupunture, etc didn't work. BTW, Mrs Pugman is a vet tech so we have money for steak since we don't pay premium for services.

All our early rescue pugs have died at or near 17, none have had any serious physical problems outside of old age. One died of cancer related problems

I can't say I've heard of the RR food-will have to check it out.

Lucky on the vet thing, these guys can be a handful with the vet bills if they get a bad roll of the dice!

RR is okay food. Theres a new RR line thats Grain free which is better. Its no Blue Buffalo, but its worlds ahead of that crap like Kibbles n Bits and Purina, and it doesn't cost a solid fortune to buy.

magic
07-07-2013, 12:11
BWS,

You have been tricked if you think Blue Buffalo is made with human grade ingredients. It uses meat meals, which are never allowed for human consumption. The ingredients look good, until you understand what is actually in them. And grains are not bad for dogs unless your dog has a grain allergy. We home cook our dog food and have had amazing results caring for two dogs that have auto-immune disease, one of which must take steroids on a regular basis. The vet is surprised every time he gets blood work back and it is normal, even with all the steroids. We worked with a local pet nutritionist to get our food and supplements figured out, but there are other options. One option we haven't tried is called balance IT, www.balanceit.com. They make a custom recipe for you with all the supplements available from them or from human grade sources. Also, I think the University of Tennessee Veterinary program does custom recipes for about $250. They will work with your vet and customize it to your dogs needs and adjust it for you if your dog's health changes and requires a change in diet. We haven't done that either, but they are both good recommendations we have received that we will consider if we need something new.

AZson
07-07-2013, 12:12
Spam.

:agree::agree: