Carrying while listening to MP3 player? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying while listening to MP3 player?

Radam3
06-27-2012, 20:12
I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet.

I know situational awareness is very important at all times while carrying. With today's modern, technology driven, society, what do you folks think?

I.e.; for those that never leave the house without a firearm (myself included) what do you do if you are taking the dog for a walk? going for a run? bike ride? or even those people in the bigger cities that just walk to and from work, or on public transportation.

I personally only wear one ear bud, and I know that even this has its downfalls. I like my music, but if my firearm is with me, only my left ear gets to enjoy... lol

Any of you have a better suggestion to be able to enjoy your MP3's while still being aware of your surrounding...???

mj9mm
06-27-2012, 20:15
sounds like a good plan to me. as long as the volume isn't to high i don't see a problem:cool:

Spiffums
06-27-2012, 21:32
I wouldn't listen to an MP3 player some place I thought I had to 100% on.

PhatAlbert
06-27-2012, 21:35
I would listen to your mp3 players anyways. The only time you use a weapon Is when it's life or death not because you hear a noise or some guy is walking up to you. I agree with previous if you are in a place like this don't carry mp3 player my opinion lol

Posted from an iPhone

EAJuggalo
06-28-2012, 06:25
I just keep the volume down and use crappy headphones that don't keep out outside noise.

PhatAlbert, search for the story from Minneapolis of the guy who had his carry gun taken from him by a mugger when the mugger ran up and slammed the guy into a parked car. It can go from nothing to life or death awfully quick.

H&K 4 LIFE
06-28-2012, 08:33
My opinion...

Listening to MP3 players (earbuds in ears) or texting while walking (head down looking down at the phone) are examples of the types of distractions I simply do not engage in.

I don't wish to put myself in the position where I can be caught off guard. Neither by someone who is intending to do me physical violence, nor struck by a car driven by some inattentive motorist. The quicker I can identify a potential situation, the more time/distance I will be afforded to react to it, thus bettering my chances of avoiding or successfully resolving it.

It's amazing how when you are the one out in public who is paying attention you can see how many other people there are who are clearly entirely oblivious to their surroundings. As you point out "with today's modern, technology driven, society" there are a great deal of them.

FireForged
06-28-2012, 09:08
As it relates to common citizens going about day to day issues, we all have to live our lives. I do on most occasions, carry a firearm for self defense. I do not however, leave the house every day as if on some covert sentinel's mission. Going to books-a-million is not a spec-op and if I feel like turning up the tunes, I enjoy myself and dont much worry about it. There are many levels of "paying attention" and we have many senses. If I cant see clearly, I may listen more. If I cant hear everything, I may look around more often but worry about it?.. nah.

robhic
06-28-2012, 17:08
Just reading about this. Dividing your attention. It is difficult to concentrate on more than one thing at a time. This material was in the context of avoiding aggressive behavior by trying to divide the aggressor's behavior by talking and such to make him / her have more difficulty concentrating on their aggression and you talking with them.

Listening to music (or whatever) would divide your attention. Not saying you can't do 2 things at the same time but whether you realize it or not your attention / focus isn't as good when divided. IMO, I'd think concentrating my focus on awareness would take precedence.

Dragoon44
06-28-2012, 21:22
anyone so addicted to music they would compromise their awareness should just forget about carrying a gun or being aware and let the predators of the world do their job and erase those defective genes from the gene pool.

JuneyBooney
06-28-2012, 22:05
anyone so addicted to music they would compromise their awareness should just forget about carrying a gun or being aware and let the predators of the world do their job and erase those defective genes from the gene pool.

I agree. I also see women who are very pretty wearing those dumb things and then they wonder why they didn't hear the perverts sneaking up on them wearing combat boots. :whistling: I am just amazed nowadays.:shocked:

cowboy1964
06-28-2012, 22:58

I'll bet if I followed you without you knowing I would see you "compromising your awareness" in some fashion dozens of times per day. Or are you a robot?

Perhaps a safer environment would be in order if you have to live every second of your life in utter terror that someone could jump you at any time.

NC Bullseye
06-28-2012, 23:12

But what if their listening to the audio book "Fifty Shades Of Gray"?

captdreifus
06-29-2012, 03:07
I only listen to music with ear buds when my back is to a wall or what have you. I maintain alertness visually.

Dragoon44
06-29-2012, 15:53
I'll bet if I followed you without you knowing I would see you "compromising your awareness" in some fashion dozens of times per day. Or are you a robot?

I bet yu wouldn't start with being naturally cautious and add a few decades as an LEO and awareness of what is going on around you is simply second nature. you don't even have to think about it. it is just part of who you are.

Perhaps a safer environment would be in order if you have to live every second of your life in utter terror that someone could jump you at any time.

Sounds like the same argument could be made for carrying a gun in the first place. Is that why you carry a gun? because you live in terror that someone could jump you at any time?

I don't live in terror or even fear, I do however know that the gun I carry is not a talisman. It does not magically ward off evil or let me play catch up if I am taken off guard. The gun is merely a tool and it can only be as effective as the one that carries it.

Lior
06-30-2012, 10:06
When I run, armed or unarmed, I do not plug in music, because my surroundings are interesting enough as they are without the distraction of music. I do work with music in the office though.

Veedubklown
06-30-2012, 22:09
My opinion...

Listening to MP3 players (earbuds in ears) or texting while walking (head down looking down at the phone) are examples of the types of distractions I simply do not engage in.

I don't wish to put myself in the position where I can be caught off guard. Neither by someone who is intending to do me physical violence, nor struck by a car driven by some inattentive motorist. The quicker I can identify a potential situation, the more time/distance I will be afforded to react to it, thus bettering my chances of avoiding or successfully resolving it.

It's amazing how when you are the one out in public who is paying attention you can see how many other people there are who are clearly entirely oblivious to their surroundings. As you point out "with today's modern, technology driven, society" there are a great deal of them.

+1. I don't go anywhere/do anything with ear buds. In fact if I had to find a set right now, it'd take me 20 minutes to look for em, and then I'd probably find a set that have never been used. I let the tunes crank at home, I love background music while I work, game, GT, etc. I don't do walks, no dog, and walking anywhere is pretty much a no-go in my part of the woods.

mr.z28
06-30-2012, 22:12
i listen to music through my iphone as i walk the neighborhood every morning...never put the level above 25-30% so i can still hear the background...

janice6
06-30-2012, 22:32
When drivers listening to music playing in their vehicles (loudly), get hit by emergency vehicles with sirens and lights, how can plugging your ears to eliminate outside sounds and listening to music, result in the listener having any situational awareness?

Veedubklown
06-30-2012, 23:50
I see those people walking about everyday life, and I feel for them. To me, they seem easy prey for those who would be vicious, and are enabling themselves to become a victim at an exponential rate.

speedfreakssj
07-01-2012, 03:42
How about using normal headphones? I do not like the in ear stuff just because most environmental noises like speeding, skidding cars and such are almost not heard until it's nearly too late.

I also keep te volume of my ipod at 60% max. volume with those "low volume music. about 95% of the time it's at 45-50%.

I also only use my ipod on bike rides or when traveling to another city to keep te journey enjoyable.

Patchman
07-01-2012, 05:42

Sure, everyone gets distracted. The issue is, what is the intensity of the distraction and the duration of the distraction? If you're walking down the street listening to music and really getting into it, I'd say that's a distraction of high intensity and long duration. Same thing if you're chatting away on a cell phone or stumbling down the street, drunk.

People who live in "safe" environments shouldn't be allowed to carry 24/7? :dunno:

Misty02
07-01-2012, 08:09
Sure, everyone gets distracted. The issue is, what is the intensity of the distraction and the duration of the distraction? If you're walking down the street listening to music and really getting into it, I'd say that's a distraction of high intensity and long duration. Same thing if you're chatting away on a cell phone or stumbling down the street, drunk.

People who live in "safe" environments shouldn't be allowed to carry 24/7? :dunno:

Indeed. There are enough distractions around us to voluntarily and purposely add more to them.

I learned the hard way many years ago when I was still into daily sunray intake and outside exercise. The music was low, only one ear with the earpiece; I could hear nearly anything, except the ankle biting playful little dog that came out of nowhere. I would have likely heard him panting (he didnít bark) before I had him tangled around my ankles, it nearly caused me to fall.

I listen to music in two places, at home I listen to whatever I desire, in the car, soothing music in very low volume (because Miami drivers could drive a saint up a wall, and Iím no saint) with the window cracked open a tad.

Itís not just about being aware of BGs and situations that develop. Itís also about avoiding every-day things around us that may have negative results, even if there isnít a single BG miles around.

ConcealedG23
07-01-2012, 13:36
I say listen to your music how you want. If you feel safe, then get after it. That's what this is all about anyways; if you feel safe. If you feel safe and you are, good. If you feel safe and you are not and something happens, you will be able to rationalize that you did what you could to feel safe. I have a hard time with all these people talking about situational awareness and never never listening to music while out and about. How far are you going to take this situational awareness stuff? Sounds like you should probably never drink out of anything that isn't a clear plastic so that when you tip it up, you don't loose any line of sight. You should also always walk along a wall so as to eliminate the angles at which you can be attacked.

D

Misty02
07-01-2012, 13:53
I say listen to your music how you want. If you feel safe, then get after it. That's what this is all about anyways; if you feel safe. If you feel safe and you are, good. If you feel safe and you are not and something happens, you will be able to rationalize that you did what you could to feel safe. I have a hard time with all these people talking about situational awareness and never never listening to music while out and about. How far are you going to take this situational awareness stuff? Sounds like you should probably never drink out of anything that isn't a clear plastic so that when you tip it up, you don't loose any line of sight. You should also always walk along a wall so as to eliminate the angles at which you can be attacked.

D

He asked for suggestions/opinions. Few have the ability to be fully aware all of the time, some things are easy to prevent and cause no inconvenience. Have I ever talked on phone while walking? Sure. If Iím in a rush to get somewhere and I think the call may be important, Iíll take it. Otherwise Iíll just stop for a second, talk to the person that called and then continue, or I can tell them Iíll call them back when it is more convenient for me. Look at women with heels that are walking and texting or talking on the phone, see how many heels you see go into cracks or partitions on sidewalks where they have to do a quick balancing act to prevent from falling. How many people bump into others because theyíre just not paying attention or are otherwise distracted? (all from things in front of you, not even those behind)

He obviously cared enough to ask and is aware enough to use only one ear bud. We have many senses at our disposal to prevent injury and alert us when something that is not right, why purposely chose to impair them?

cowboywannabe
07-03-2012, 02:01
some folks go out of their way to put themselves in condition white.

John Rambo
07-03-2012, 05:25
This ain't The Borne Identity...if you wanna listen to headphones, go ahead. I do it all the time while I'm doing yardwork or if I ever jog. Sure, you've lost one sense. You've still got your others. Obviously, don't walk down the street in Compton rocking out to your favorite Justin Beiber song. Just use common sense about your surroundings and weigh the possibilities accordingly.

series1811
07-03-2012, 05:37
I would listen to your mp3 players anyways. The only time you use a weapon Is when it's life or death not because you hear a noise or some guy is walking up to you. I agree with previous if you are in a place like this don't carry mp3 player my opinion lol

Posted from an iPhone

A really good example of someone who really doesn't get what situational awareness is, and what it means. :supergrin:

series1811
07-03-2012, 05:39
some folks go out of their way to put themselves in condition white.

I wonder if anyone has put Cooper's books on audio. Maybe if the were listening to those, they would see the problem. :supergrin: