Magtech Vs. Federal Match! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Magtech Vs. Federal Match!

Roydrage
06-28-2012, 00:27
Been Shooting Magtech 230gr FMJ exclusively in my SA TRP since I got it a few weeks ago... About 500 rounds now.

Did tons of research between that, and American Eagle Rem UMC Win White Box, etc, and generally the Magtech got favorable reviews, so I bought 2 1000 rnd cases.

Noticed a lot of sparking, and smoke. Seemed generally accurate.

Tonight at the range I decided to try some smaller targets I printed out on my inkjet printer that were labeled NRA competition, they are 8.5X11" with a 1.5" black bullseye.

So I set this 30ft out, and put a couple of clips in it. Brought it back and noticed all my shots skirted the bullseye, right on the line to the left and right of it. I thought I was sure I nailed it several times but nothing deep into the black.

So I had bought some Federal Gold Match RN FMJ 230's and decided to give some a try same target same distance..

Could NOT BELIEVE THE RESULT!:wow:

All of a sudden that bullseye was clear thru, I was all up in it for sure, what's more no more SPARKS, and Smoke... Not much smell either, and More important the Gun felt completely different! I went back to the Magtech for a Clip, and back to the Gold Match just to make sure I was feeling what I was feeling, and yes... where the Magtech was HARSH feeling, the Federal Was Soft, and cushiny feeling, back on target so much Faster for follow up shots.

Way more enjoyable to shoot, No big flash, and the gun felt like a Caddy...

Trouble is now I'm spoiled, and wanting to go to the range at least once a week, I'LL GO BANKRUPT!!! LOL!

Is all the Economy stuff the same story... I mean this stuff is really not all that bad... No fouling, or misfires, and the gun always cycled perfectly...

I guess it's the same old story... You get what you pay for!

Thoughts...

Royd

matt_lowry123
06-28-2012, 09:47
I never liked magtech. I just shoot wwb through my pistols.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 12:25
I've always had the best results with the Federal Gold Match ammo when shooting factory ammo. Now that I think about it, it's probably hard to reload ammo that'll shoot better. I've never shot any of the FMJ, just lots of the SWC. Love it. I buy it whenever I see any. It is expensive though.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Spiffums
06-29-2012, 16:27
Been Shooting Magtech 230gr FMJ exclusively in my SA TRP since I got it a few weeks ago... About 500 rounds now.

Did tons of research between that, and American Eagle Rem UMC Win White Box, etc, and generally the Magtech got favorable reviews, so I bought 2 1000 rnd cases.

Noticed a lot of sparking, and smoke. Seemed generally accurate.

Tonight at the range I decided to try some smaller targets I printed out on my inkjet printer that were labeled NRA competition, they are 8.5X11" with a 1.5" black bullseye.

So I set this 30ft out, and put a couple of clips in it. Brought it back and noticed all my shots skirted the bullseye, right on the line to the left and right of it. I thought I was sure I nailed it several times but nothing deep into the black.

So I had bought some Federal Gold Match RN FMJ 230's and decided to give some a try same target same distance..

Could NOT BELIEVE THE RESULT!:wow:

All of a sudden that bullseye was clear thru, I was all up in it for sure, what's more no more SPARKS, and Smoke... Not much smell either, and More important the Gun felt completely different! I went back to the Magtech for a Clip, and back to the Gold Match just to make sure I was feeling what I was feeling, and yes... where the Magtech was HARSH feeling, the Federal Was Soft, and cushiny feeling, back on target so much Faster for follow up shots.

Way more enjoyable to shoot, No big flash, and the gun felt like a Caddy...

Trouble is now I'm spoiled, and wanting to go to the range at least once a week, I'LL GO BANKRUPT!!! LOL!

Is all the Economy stuff the same story... I mean this stuff is really not all that bad... No fouling, or misfires, and the gun always cycled perfectly...

I guess it's the same old story... You get what you pay for!

Thoughts...

Royd

MAGAZINE!!!!!!!!!!!

The match stuff is really good but most people cant afford 200 to 500 rounds of match ammo to just put holes in paper for fun. Its about like shooting premium hollow points at paper.

Now what you need to start reading about is reloading and loading a round tailored to your gun.