John Paul Stevens -- Ford

Sandra Day O'Connor -- Reagan

David Souter -- G.H.W. Bush

John Roberts -- George Bush

Not very impressive.

Dexters
06-28-2012, 09:36
Remember this:

The Rs propose compromise candidates; the Ds do not, so things move to the left.

beforeobamabans
06-28-2012, 09:37
But wait! The 'support the GOP at all costs' crowd who have assured us that SCOTUS appointments are the foundation for voting for "the lesser of two evils" want us to vote for an awful candidate to protect the sanctity of court appointments.
:rofl: Next?

Cavalry Doc
06-28-2012, 10:11
Well, the bottom line is that Roberts is not our guy on this. There are no guarantees, and I'd still rather have Mittens than Barry.

One is worse, and as it stands right now, one of them will be president next year.

barbedwiresmile
06-28-2012, 10:23
But wait! The 'support the GOP at all costs' crowd who have assured us that SCOTUS appointments are the foundation for voting for "the lesser of two evils" want us to vote for an awful candidate to protect the sanctity of court appointments.
:rofl: Next?

Stop pointing out uncomfortable realities and fall into line. Go team! Woot!

amazon
06-28-2012, 10:30
That is because when an R pres. puts a nom. through for approval the Dem's won't budge if he/she is conservative. For some reason, the Repub's let Lib's through when they are up for nomination.

You are correct in that I have observed over the years that Dem's take a much harder line than the Repub's when it comes to just about anything, but this in particular. And that's why we're screwed.

JFrame
06-28-2012, 10:44
That is because when an R pres. puts a nom. through for approval the Dem's won't budge if he/she is conservative. For some reason, the Repub's let Lib's through when they are up for nomination.

You are correct in that I have observed over the years that Dem's take a much harder line than the Repub's when it comes to just about anything, but this in particular. And that's why we're screwed.

I think to some extent, Republicans can count on being hammered by the leftist media of their respective states on their confirmation positions, while the Dems will get a free pass to be as belligerent as they want. Yeah -- I'm not saying that the R's should cave to such pressure -- but it is a reality (or, at least, has been).

I remember during the Kagan hearings, the MSM made a huge deal about the fact that she laughed so much, and would "bring a little laughter to the Supreme Court." :upeyes:

The vast majority of the leftstream media will run interference for the Democrats -- it's a reality we have to face and overcome.

Glock30Eric
06-28-2012, 10:47
Romney won't make things better. Ron Paul has little chance to make things better, however, we have to replace most of house reps and senators to do that.

Glock30Eric
06-28-2012, 11:05
To those folks who are screaming down in my throat to vote Romney cuz of SCOTUS affair:

What have made you think Romney will nominee us a better SCOTUS than the precedent R-Presidents' nominees? 99.9% chance he will NOT nominee an “organic certified” conservative judge. Therefore, should we vote Romney with 99.9% chance that he will appointee a “closet” liberal judge?

Please be mindful to the Republic of America by voting Ron Paul; not Obama nor Romney.

maxsnafu
06-28-2012, 11:05
http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/2012/06/28/quick-thoughts-on-the-supreme-court/

maxsnafu
06-28-2012, 11:08
http://www.chroniclesmagazine.org/2012/06/28/earl-warren-rides-again/

RCP
06-28-2012, 11:19
To those folks who are screaming down in my throat to vote Romney cuz of SCOTUS affair:

What have made you think Romney will nominee us a better SCOTUS than the precedent R-Presidents' nominees? 99.9% chance he will NOT nominee an “organic certified” conservative judge. Therefore, should we vote Romney with 99.9% chance that he will appointee a “closet” liberal judge?

Please be mindful to the Republic of America by voting Ron Paul; not Obama nor Romney.

Too late, the general public has decided on the white Obama to run against the black Obama because he has good hair and looks "electable". You better vote for him too or we will be doomed with bad SCOTUS nominees. Oh yeah if you don't want to vote for either of the Obamas then your a damn Obama supporter!!!

Kablam
06-28-2012, 11:39

Couple of things: 1) Not sure where you your 99.9% certainties (actually I know exactly from which orifice) ,and 2) Ron Paul is not running for president. What does he have to do with any of this other than being one of many career politicians who have failed to stop the run away big gov train?

Glock30Eric
06-28-2012, 11:57
Couple of things: 1) Not sure where you your 99.9% certainties (actually I know exactly from which orifice)

Romney is a closet Liberal. Who could think he'll bring the conservatives to the WH? It is more likely he will bring in a liberal nominee. 99.9% is from my opinion.

2) Ron Paul is not running for president. What does he have to do with any of this other than being one of many career politicians who have failed to stop the run away big gov train?

Ron Paul is still a candidate for President. However, he has a really low chance to win President (less than 1% chance). Not one in the history have stopped the big Gov't train. I don't think in the future we'll stop it unless it is a revolution, verison 2.0.