Tax vs Penalty [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Tax vs Penalty

Hawkman
06-28-2012, 09:19
If the government can tax me for not owning a product (healthcare policy) can it therefore tax me it I DO own a product it doesn't want me to, like a gun? How about a $100,000 per year tax on gunowners?

Sounds like SCOTUS would support that as constitutional.

itstime
06-28-2012, 09:44
FET, Gas guzzler tax. I think they already do.

aircarver
06-28-2012, 09:47
If the government can tax me for not owning a product (healthcare policy) can it therefore tax me it I DO own a product it doesn't want me to, like a gun? How about a $100,000 per year tax on gunowners?

Yeah.

The SC said "You are free to make harmful and stupid laws. Don't expect us to fix them for you"

JBnTX
06-28-2012, 09:54
... How about a $100,000 per year tax on gunowners?

HUSH! Don't give the government any ideas.

I've been expecting a HUGH federal tax on firearms and ammunition for many years now.

:steamed:

Guss
06-28-2012, 10:26

Yes. They already do.

Breadman03
06-28-2012, 10:47
HUSH! Don't give the government any ideas.

I've been expecting a HUGH federal tax on firearms and ammunition for many years now.

:steamed:
There already is. It is something like 30%, IIRC.

cowboywannabe
06-28-2012, 10:56
peoples gits duh gubmint day deserve.

Hawkman
06-28-2012, 11:23
The difference here is that they are not taxing a product. They are taxing a class of people who are not doing what the government wants them to do - buy health insurance. The clear implication is that the government could identify any group whose behavior they didn't like and them tax them into obedience. That is a whole different thing than an excise tax on a product.

They don't need to tax guns or ammunition. They can tax those who own guns or ammunition.

Form 1040, line 37: if you own firearms enter $xx,xxx here. Add that to your total income tax.