Google CENSORING guns from shopping!!! [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Google CENSORING guns from shopping!!!

ImpartialObserver
06-28-2012, 09:23
Be aware... If you've become a fan of "Google Shopping" and you also search from time to time for guns or gun related products, you will see that Google is now CENSORING guns and gun related products from their shopping search engine.

I urge you to switch to another search engine and stop using one that CENSORS the search results.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/06/foghorn/google-censor-firearms-related-shopping-results/

cowboy1964
06-28-2012, 09:38
Could have something to do with the site's transition to a "commercial" site and the way it now wants a location to search.

SouthpawG26
06-28-2012, 09:42
Well, im still google searching my online firearms parts as of earlier today and i cant recall any sort of censorship.

I typed ar-15 in the google shopping bar, same as in the "truth about guns" link and found tons of parts and whole guns for sale.

WoodenPlank
06-28-2012, 09:55
Well, im still google searching my online firearms parts as of earlier today and i cant recall any sort of censorship.

I typed ar-15 in the google shopping bar, same as in the "truth about guns" link and found tons of parts and whole guns for sale.

It's still propagating out across Google servers. I'd imagine non-US servers might take longer for the updates to kick in.

dwhite53
06-28-2012, 09:59
The old reliable 'Stick your head in the sand' method. Can't see it so it's not there.

Ask an Ostrich.

All the Best,
D. White

SouthpawG26
06-28-2012, 10:08
The old reliable 'Stick your head in the sand' method. Can't see it so it's not there.

Ask an Ostrich.

All the Best,
D. White

Sir,
If this happens to be directed at my earlier post, be assured that i would be the first to mention on this site that my gun related google shopping searches have been disabled.

Im just stating that i havent found it to be the case as of this very moment, make of that what you will.

wjv
06-28-2012, 10:11
Not a big fan of Bing, but it's looking like I'll be switching as they still allow you to search for guns.

Personally I think this is going to blow up in Google's face (the switch to a commercial site) as people we start seeing just the same few (big) vendors selling there.

wjv
06-28-2012, 10:13
Sir,
If this happens to be directed at my earlier post, be assured that i would be the first to mention on this site that my gun related google shopping searches have been disabled.

Im just stating that i havent found it to be the case as of this very moment, make of that what you will.

Don't think it was aimed at you. I think it was aimed at Google. "If we pretend guns don't exist, they will go away"

SouthpawG26
06-28-2012, 10:19
My sincere apologies if misinterpreted.

zippyhuntin
06-28-2012, 14:28
I prefer to use Ixquick over Google or Bing.

https://www.ixquick.com/

Travclem
06-28-2012, 14:33
I've noticed this lately.

jeanderson
06-28-2012, 14:35
Wait until the regulatory czars implement the "Internet Fairness Doctrine". This site and all gun manufacturer and gun/ammo retail sites will suddenly disappear.

Think I'm kidding?

wjv
06-28-2012, 15:40
I prefer to use Ixquick over Google or Bing.

https://www.ixquick.com/

No "Shopping" option.

Nice thing about google shopping was you could put in something like:

promag Mini-14 magazine

And instantly see the price ranges.

Looks like you can still do that on Bing.

I think ixquick is just a front end for Google that submits your request anonymously.

Just reading their page it says:

Ixquick now offers anonymous Google results on its sister website Startpage.com.

GlockFish
06-28-2012, 16:00
Google should have learned from eBay's mistake.

Jason D
06-28-2012, 16:45
It's blocking stuff for me now.
Bastards

crashwg
06-28-2012, 19:17
I have been almost exclusively using Google for over a decade. Bing it is from now on.

The_Gun_Guru
06-28-2012, 19:28
That is SHOCKING!!!!:shocked:

A multi-million dollar corporate giant is censoring Americans?

That almost never happenes......:rofl:

TGG

CJStudent
06-28-2012, 19:30
Your search - ar-15 - did not match any shopping results

ImpartialObserver
07-01-2012, 21:36
Whether it's Google doing it for their own anti-gun corporate policy or because the government is forcing the issue, it still stinks that we're losing a way to compare prices among retailers for good gear.

NEOH212
07-01-2012, 23:56
Government CENSORING guns from shopping!!!

There, I fixed it for you. Since they are one in the same anyhow. :whistling:

jeanderson
07-02-2012, 05:03
Google sensors gun sales now.
Obama wants to take everyone's gun away.
Google chief executive Eric Schmidt and Google co-founder Larry Page are big Obama supporters.

Do the math.

SigFTW
07-02-2012, 06:49
Bing is still open, I'm changing over.

eracer
07-02-2012, 06:56
That is SHOCKING!!!!:shocked:

A multi-million dollar corporate giant is censoring Americans?

That almost never happenes......:rofl:

TGGBut....But....the Constitution protects us from that, right?

Right....?

a_just_cause
07-02-2012, 07:00
Time for me to look for a new search engine for all my searches as well as email provider ;)

glock2740
07-02-2012, 07:16
Google is in bed with the current, for the next 4 months anyway, administration. Did you expect anything less from them? I have been using Bing since 2008-2009.

Golddog
07-02-2012, 07:36
The Bill of Rights does not apply to corporations; it prohibits violations of civil liberties only by government agencies. Corporations can censor however they please, absent a state or federal statute prohibiting them from doing so.

Even then, such a statute might be vulnerable to challenge under the Citizens United precedent or a more general Fifth Amendment interpretation.

s&wfan
07-02-2012, 11:24
I think it's kind of funny that you guys are complaining about this here. On GlockTalk. The site that censors CTD's link when you type it.

IBTL!

ImpartialObserver
07-07-2012, 15:04
For the record, I was never expecting a boycott of google to be successful - or even to be started. I was just sharing what I had learned in the hope of letting people know that a useful price comparison tool had been eliminated and that we would need to find other comparison methods. In the end, the silver lining in this is that we may end up giving more support to our local gun stores.

Thanks for the discussion!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Housel
07-07-2012, 15:40
I Google the word guns and get:

https://www.google.com/search?q=guns&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-beta

They even show me the local places to buy guns first to make it easier for me to go out and buy a gun? Not that I need Google to run over to Davidson's and pick up a gun.

If this is censorship, they are really really bad at it!? :rofl:

Or perhaps their servers take a really, really long time to propagate changes? :dunno:

ImpartialObserver
07-07-2012, 16:41
Mark, you missed the point. Search on a gun make and model, as if you want to see who has the best price. THEN CLICK THE SHOPPING LINK down the left-hand side. You will see an empty page.

That is the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Mark Housel
07-07-2012, 18:09
Apparently it would never even begin to occur to me to shop for something in that manner? :embarassed:

If I wanted to shop for a specific item I would "google" that item and then look for links to the places that sell it.

OTOH, for guns, I buy strictly from distributors as I generally am only buying to supply customers.

I don't imagine for a moment that that this "censorship" has impeded anyone from purchasing what they were looking for though.
In general I think this is being over hyped in some sort of "conspiracy theory" manner.
Google is a private business and they can certainly have whatever policies they want, including the types of products that they want to sell via their web sites.

No one is whining about Amazon as 'censoring' guns even though they don't sell a single actual gun via their shopping site (that I found right away) but provide an interface to sellers of just about everything else (including gun related items) on the planet?

Even as a search engine I have other alternatives that I don't find particularly limiting.

So, for me at least this is an issue that doesn't even begin to register. Until you pointed out the actual mechanism I'd not ever run into it?

TheJ
07-13-2012, 08:39
I have switched every device in my family away from google and refuse to use it. I also sent them feedback indicating my opinion on their anti-civil rights stance. I realize that my decision and actions will no effect on google but I can not in good conscience use google as long as they continue this policy.

TheJ
07-13-2012, 08:45
Apparently it would never even begin to occur to me to shop for something in that manner? :embarassed:

If I wanted to shop for a specific item I would "google" that item and then look for links to the places that sell it.

OTOH, for guns, I buy strictly from distributors as I generally am only buying to supply customers.

I don't imagine for a moment that that this "censorship" has impeded anyone from purchasing what they were looking for though.
In general I think this is being over hyped in some sort of "conspiracy theory" manner.
Google is a private business and they can certainly have whatever policies they want, including the types of products that they want to sell via their web sites.

No one is whining about Amazon as 'censoring' guns even though they don't sell a single actual gun via their shopping site (that I found right away) but provide an interface to sellers of just about everything else (including gun related items) on the planet?

Even as a search engine I have other alternatives that I don't find particularly limiting.

So, for me at least this is an issue that doesn't even begin to register. Until you pointed out the actual mechanism I'd not ever run into it?

I used google shopping all the time for firearm and firearm related purchases. Just because it was not on your radar doesn't mean it is not a legitimate concern for many real people.