SIG 238 and other pocket pistols [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SIG 238 and other pocket pistols

doolyd
06-28-2012, 10:14
How long does it take to get used to these small firearms? I bought a SIG 238 yesterday and made it to the range this morning. I have shot an LCP and really didn't care for it so I decided to buy the SIG. This is my first 380 and man, I didn't shoot it too well. I kept anticipating the trigger but it wasn't breaking where I was anticipating.....:crying:

I only shot about 100rds and it looks like I need about 1K more to get used to this trigger. I like the sights and weight of the SIG and the similarity of the 1911....My favorite firearm is what drove me to it.

Very nice looking pistol as well.

http://www.sigsauer.com/upFiles/catalog/product/P238-Equinox-detail-bty.jpg

Beanie-Bean
06-28-2012, 10:19
It took a couple of boxes to figure to out, but it is a heavy SAO trigger pull, and for the heavier triggers, I use the part of my finger closest to the first crease/knuckle. Sometimes I use the crease itself, like a revolver or the DA pull on a SIG Sauer trigger.

It is an excellent gun (congrats, by the way) and I hope that you'll be able to add it to your carry rotation soon. Between the subcompact Glocks, and some other pistols I have, the SIG P238HD is probably one of my most carried firearms.

philipk
06-28-2012, 13:50
Good choice!

I love my P238.

I had the opposite experience. My first shot was way off target. Then the vast majority of my following shots where on target.

I practice mostly at 7 and 15 yards. I haven't even tried 25 yards with this pistol.

Good luck!

philipk
06-28-2012, 14:01
It is an excellent gun (congrats, by the way) and I hope that you'll be able to add it to your carry rotation soon. Between the subcompact Glocks, and some other pistols I have, the SIG P238HD is probably one of my most carried firearms.

That was my plan.

Now that I have the gun, I am not sure it is a good plan.

I am beginning to agree with some experts who says all your carry guns should have the same basic operating procedures.

This would be true while carrying my G23, G27, or S&W J frame. Draw, point, and shoot.

The P238 is draw, point, drop safety, and shoot. Otherwise known as the 1911 system.

Experts claim in a panic you revert to memorized actions.

I learned this while driving my wife's car. The transmission has a different shift pattern than my car. It had never been an issue until I was stopped at a traffic light and a semi-truck started to backup towards me. I had GREAT difficulty putting her car in reverse. Luckily, I keep a safe distance from trucks when stopped. I was able to finally get it in gear and get out of his way.

Now I am at a dilemma.

I am still undecided. However, I am now carrying the P238 exclusively. Thus, I might just go to my 1911's when the weather turns cold.

Just a thought.

CDR_Glock
06-28-2012, 21:32
I have one. It was perfect when I first tried one. I'm accurate out to 25 yards with it.

As for my P938, I'm only accurate out to 15 yards. It needs a trigger job.

NeverMore1701
06-28-2012, 23:18
I love my P238, shoot it quite well. Does take more practice to stay proficient with though.

panzer1
06-29-2012, 02:57
Funny I have a NNA 380. Small gun for sure that I use for a BUG & I have Very big hands. You would think that I would not shoot it well but I can & do shoot it well out to as far as 25yards.It as a some what heavy DAO trigger. But some how it works for me.

Dawolf
06-29-2012, 08:10
I have shot my wife's. It seems too shoot high for me like a snubbie. Aim it a quarter of a inch low, and hits center. Why my B.U.G. in a 380 is a PPK. It shoots dead on. My main B.U.G. however now in a Nano. Probably would not consider a 938, as it is ergonomically the same as the 238.

sr556m9
06-29-2012, 09:45
It only took me maybe 50 rounds to figure out how to effectively hold and shoot my LCP. The thing is, I never carry it. I always felt undergunned when I did. I ended up carrying my G30 for a couple years, followed by my G19 and now my G26. I really think the G26 is the perfect ccw pistol. It holds enough firepower, extremely reliable, and even more accurate. If I could only own one gun, however, it would be my G19. I think it does everything well.

Bufford
06-29-2012, 12:31
I have had three (3) different 238's and each one shoots a bit different. My sons is a bit low, my wife's is spot on and mine is perfect for my grip (6 o'clock sight picture) Shoot it a bit and fall in love with it like the rest of us!

doolyd
06-29-2012, 21:51
Well I got some 7rounder mustang mags so I will see if the extra grip will help. I didn't expect to shoot a fly off a dogs ass just yet and I really love how it feels. I also don't feel under gunned....a .22 to the head will kill so again, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement.

I would agree with the G19 comment though. :rock: