Buying land [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Buying land

USMC_G19
06-28-2012, 10:23
Im looking at buying 20-30 acres in W.VA for a camping / retreat location. I know there are certain perks to look out for like zoned for septic or have water on the property. Iíve also heard that some land can be a tax advantage to you depending on some circumstances (however the nature of those circumstances were not clear) Any sage advice or things keep an eye out for?

concretefuzzynuts
06-28-2012, 10:29
Make sure it's not landlocked, that it has access. I had a friend who almost bought land locked property.

mac66
06-28-2012, 16:29
Here is what I learned when I bought my land. If you buy a little land you are going to want more. If you buy a lot of land you are going to want more. Land lust is a disease.

kirgi08
06-28-2012, 18:24
:agree:

Tom Kanik
06-28-2012, 18:33
Make sure the land is not considered to be in a "flood plain"; the regulations can really mess with your plans!..:wow:

Akita
06-28-2012, 19:11
fwiw, theres a Major chemical plant and the HQ of the National Alliance in WV if that affects your exact location selection.

emt1581
06-28-2012, 21:46
Make sure it's not landlocked, that it has access. I had a friend who almost bought land locked property.

Land locked....meaning you have to travel through someone else's land to get to yours? If not, I'm not understanding what you mean. Even if that is what you mean, I'm still kinda confused.

Unless the land is surrounded by gates and you have no access to your land....THAT would be a royal PITA. But I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing. Usually the edges of property are what I've seen for sale.

Personally, I want land in a remote area of the state (PA). I want cheap, good to build on, and running water like a river is a must.

My one concern is what the taxes would be on say 5-50acres. Land is pretty low on the list at this point though. Still, it's there.

-Emt1581

Tom Kanik
06-28-2012, 22:05
Good land will be more expensive than poor land, no way around it. Make sure you do your "homework" before you buy, and buy what you really want. Otherwise, you will never be happy with it.:cool:

concretefuzzynuts
06-29-2012, 05:17
Land locked....meaning you have to travel through someone else's land to get to yours? If not, I'm not understanding what you mean. Even if that is what you mean, I'm still kinda confused.

Unless the land is surrounded by gates and you have no access to your land....THAT would be a royal PITA. But I can't say I've ever heard of such a thing. Usually the edges of property are what I've seen for sale.

Personally, I want land in a remote area of the state (PA). I want cheap, good to build on, and running water like a river is a must.

My one concern is what the taxes would be on say 5-50acres. Land is pretty low on the list at this point though. Still, it's there.

-Emt1581

Sorry if you don't understand. Land locked land would be land you had no legal access too, no easement granted too it. It happens when a piece of property has all the land around it sold off without easement being granted to it.

Now you know.

emt1581
06-29-2012, 05:27
Sorry if you don't understand. Land locked land would be land you had no legal access too, no easement granted too it. It happens when a piece of property has all the land around it sold off without easement being granted to it.

Now you know.

So I was right the first time. I'm not sure who would buy such a piece unless they had an aircraft or something like that. :dunno:

-Emt1581

concretefuzzynuts
06-29-2012, 05:40
There's usually a road to it, just no legally granted easement. It costs extra money to survey and record. It could be a huge problem.

racerford
06-29-2012, 07:40
Check local water rights laws. Even if there is a river running through it. it does not mean you have the right to use water from the river. Also, some aquifers are restricted and you must get a permit to drill a well, and the amoount of water you can take from the well may be restricted. In some places water rights are much like mineral rights and may be sepearated for the land and sold separately.

Know your local, state and federal laws (see "wetlands" restrictions). Pray it doesn't have any rare species on it!

R_W
06-29-2012, 07:52
So I was right the first time. I'm not sure who would buy such a piece unless they had an aircraft or something like that. :dunno:

-Emt1581

You can't sell a piece of property like that here. And you can't build on one if you have it anymore. and it can really be a problem if you have issues with your neighbor.

You NEED water. Year-round water. Preferrably high on the property so you can gravity feed to the house and gardens.

You need a good spot for a garden with enough sun exposure for growth. If the sun goes behind a ridge at 4 pm, you won't have enough sun to grow much.

I would want some pasture (deer now, goats and cattle later), some timber (firewood and building materials).

NO ZONING if at all possible. Then build a shell of a cabin before they change the rules.

Tom Kanik
06-29-2012, 09:08
There is a lot of good information posted in this thread!..:cool:

cowboy1964
06-29-2012, 09:45
I've been considering land like this as well. I will definitely use an attorney if I get serious. If you make a mistake it would be costly and a real hassle.

bdcochran
06-29-2012, 10:17
Landlocked property is not uncommon. In LA, if you have no other access, you may take your forest products across a neighbor's property and you have to restore his property.
Sometimes, lots are approved and a street dedicated, but not improved by the local government. Hence, there is no street.

I have properties like that.

1. If you are not local as OP is not local, obtain an ALTA policy. It guarantees the chain of title as well as property boundaries. In WV., there are a number of problems with property lines.

2. Don't expect that your owned property will be respected as your "retreat" when shtf. People have a way of placing their self interests ahead of the law when shtf.

USMC_G19
06-29-2012, 10:34
Lots of good intel in here, i appreciate it. Im starting to clear away some of the fog surrounding land purchase.

Im assuming it is advisable to work with a Realtor who specializes in these types of purchases and the land/area im looking at.

USMC_G19
06-29-2012, 10:39
2. Don't expect that your owned property will be respected as your "retreat" when shtf. People have a way of placing their self interests ahead of the law when shtf.

The idea was to have something off the beaten path that is not noticible from the nearest roads. Just a dirt path leading into the woods. Somewhere in the midlde would go the camp site and a small clearing.

Also thinking about planting a small orchard (Apples, peaches) and some berries that grow fast like blueberries and raspberries and just letting everything go wild for a few years with little management.

concretefuzzynuts
06-29-2012, 10:39
Lots of good intel in here, i appreciate it. Im starting to clear away some of the fog surrounding land purchase.

Im assuming it is advisable to work with a Realtor who specializes in these types of purchases and the land/area im looking at.

Unless you can find a private contract sale. Saves some fees but has minor lawyer costs.

mac66
06-29-2012, 12:45
When I bought my 40, the power company would run power back 600 feet from the road for no charge if there was a structure. The 40 was separated from the main road by a 12 acre piece with a two track for access. I ended up buying that parcel too. Anyway, I built a 16x20' deck and put a 12x16' storage building kit on it. Expanded the building to 12x20' and then expanded it again to cover the remaining 4' of deck space. The building has been finished inside, insulated and paneled. Probably have $3K invested total (15 years ago).

Of course I had a well and a septic tank put in. However, because teh structure is still considered a storage building, my taxes have stayed pretty low.

BTW, I furnished the cabin with appliances from a scrapped travel trailer. Stove, furnace, fridge, toilet, lights, hot water heater, sink, plumbing, wiring etc. All run off of 110v, 12v and/or propane. Trailer was $500, stripped it and then sold the frame and rest for $200 for scrap. I have a battery bank set up and a generator with stored gas. I am looking into solar, just haven't gotten around to it.

In terms of the land. You want to make it self sustaining as much as possible. I cleared a number of acre size food plots for deer and turkey. Built nesting sites for ducks, bat boxes to help with insect control. I have a beaver pond that I stocked with fish (free from the DNR). BTW, your DNR will send someone out to put together a wildlife/tree plan at minimal cost. I think mine cost $25.

Future plans are to plant apple trees and maybe peach trees. Just had about 15 acres of poplar/aspen trees removed and sold for $7K which funds the other projects. It also spurs regrowth which is good for the deer. I have some sugar maples which I would like to tap for syrup and I would like to put in some bee hives for honey. I just retired about a year and a half ago and after recovering from some health issues I am just starting to get some stuff done.

Good luck with your land.

Batesmotel
06-29-2012, 13:20
obtain an ALTA policy. It guarantees the chain of title as well as property boundaries.

This, plus spend the money and have the property line surveyed and photographically document the survey markers including rock formations, old trees Etc around them.

concretefuzzynuts
06-29-2012, 13:29
This, plus spend the money and have the property line surveyed and photographically document the survey markers including rock formations, old trees Etc around them.

This is excellent advice. Well worth the investment.

emt1581
06-29-2012, 16:43
There's usually a road to it, just no legally granted easement. It costs extra money to survey and record. It could be a huge problem.

One one hand that sounds like a really crappy deal. On the other, is it that much difference than living in a development or buying most other land? I mean other than the side bordering a public road, all land will be owned by someone no?

-Emt1581

Glocktastic
06-29-2012, 16:46
one website that has helped me research BOL locations in W.VA. and, elsewhere for that matter is www.landwatch.com., Pretty easy apparatus to use and gives a nice overview of a lot of the properties out there.

Toyman
07-02-2012, 05:27
Not all inclusive, but a start:

+ Not land locked
+ Water rights
+ Mineral rights
+ Not a wetland
+ Distance from road if you plan to build. Some places require you to pave the driveway if you are more than a certain distance from the road, say 600 feet, so firetrucks have access. The cost of bringing in power is also an issue if you are deep into the property.
+ Research surrounding property and compare per acre price. If the one you are looking at is high or low, find out why.

USMC_G19
07-03-2012, 06:05
Thanks everyone for the input. I feel much more informed and have a better idea on what to ask and look out for.