SA Range Officer [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : SA Range Officer

donsls6
06-28-2012, 15:00
Bear with me guys on this one. I am a really big fan of the Range Officer and wanted one for HD but not a fan of the adjustable sights. Wanted to swap out for some Trijicons or XS big dots. Would this be a problem and if so why?

skipsan
06-28-2012, 15:21
Because the rear slide cut on the Range Officer is non-standard, I think there's only one option for an aftermarket rear sight and that's from Harrison Custom. It's available in all-black for sure and maybe night sight.

Options for the RO front sight are wide open.

donsls6
06-28-2012, 15:51
Very interesting that there aren't more options than that. Love the gun, hate the sights. If that's the ONLY option then I might have to consider something else. How practical are adjustable sights on a HD gun?

donsls6
06-28-2012, 16:03
Because the rear slide cut on the Range Officer is non-standard, I think there's only one option for an aftermarket rear sight and that's from Harrison Custom. It's available in all-black for sure and maybe night sight.

Options for the RO front sight are wide open.
Sorry. Didn't comprehend what you said. If the front sight can be taken out that is the most important thing for me. The rear I can live with.

skipsan
06-28-2012, 17:08
My personal favorite for a front sight is the gold bead. A gold bead could be installed on the existing RO sight--the sight would have to be removed for the installation and then the sight assembly re-installed. Another option would be fiber-optic for the front sight. I think Dawson is a favorite for these.

As far as the rear sight goes, it's worth noting that SA sells the TRP Operator which is supposed to be a combat pistol, with an adjustable rear sight.

The adjustable rear sight on the RO could be tacticalized with some appropriate rounding of the sharp and protruding edges and corners. A little cold blue would restore the black finish.

nastytrigger
06-28-2012, 17:13
As far as practicality of adjustable sights on a HD gun, they're fine. They're not my preference, however, I prefer fixed sights.

The TRP has the option of adjustable sights, and it's one of the best defensive 1911's out there:
http://www.gunshopfinder.com/springfield/PC9105LP.jpg