Serious problems with new Kel-Tec P-3AT? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Serious problems with new Kel-Tec P-3AT?

Emoore
06-28-2012, 15:07
First, let me say that I am not new to shooting, guns, semi-autos, or small pistols. I've been shooting regularly since I was younger than 10. My daily carry is either a Glock 26 or Kahr PM40.

I wanted something really small for backup carry in my ankle holster, or when I'm wearing an outfit that precludes even the Kahr, so I went to Cheaper than Dirt and picked up a new Kel-Tec P3AT.

Took it to the gun range today and it jammed at least once per magazine. After the first four or five jams, I asked the range master to have a look at it. He couldn't see anything wrong but lubed it a bit more. Looking back I should have had him shoot it but did not. Anyway, I put a box through it hoping the issue would resolve, but it never did. It jammed on average 1-3 times per six rounds. Finally I left in disgust.

Anybody else have this experience with the P3AT? The only other thing I can think of is that I have literally the smallest hands of any adult I've ever met, but they're pretty strong and I've never had an issue with any other semi-auto. I was using brass-jacketed Remington ammunition.

Berto
06-28-2012, 15:12
I had that worked fine, but felt on the verge of self destructing.
While I still have a small .380, I found much more happiness with the snubnose .38sp revolver.

Kel Tech has good customer service, let them make it right....then trade for a .38sp.

Travclem
06-28-2012, 15:31
I had that worked fine, but felt on the verge of self destructing.
While I still have a small .380, I found much more happiness with the snubnose .38sp revolver.

Kel Tech has good customer service, let them make it right....then trade for a .38sp.
This, My KT is reliable but the 642 is head and shoulders better.

The_Gun_Guru
06-28-2012, 15:39
Totally disagree with getting a snubnose revolver!!!

I had one for a while but sold it because it was horribly inaccuate and difficult to shoot.

Got a KT P-32 and I am DEADLY with it!!!! My favorite carry gun.....and I have a bunch!!!!

Call KT and they can take a look at it and make it right.....no matter what it takes!

TGG

deputy tom
06-28-2012, 15:51
While I've never owned a p38t I've had problems with several p-11 and p32 pistols. Finally got a p32 that worked and carry it when nothing else can be hidden.I have a love/hate relationship with kel-tec.YMMV. tom.

kooman
06-28-2012, 16:07
did you try a different mag? Mine has been flawless, dont give up on it, as said before kel tec will make it right for ya.

Travclem
06-28-2012, 16:14

I had one for a while but sold it because it was horribly inaccuate and difficult to shoot.

Got a KT P-32 and I am DEADLY with it!!!! My favorite carry gun.....and I have a bunch!!!!

Call KT and they can take a look at it and make it right.....no matter what it takes!

TGG
Maybe it was the shooter, I can consistantly hit an 18" gong at 100yds with my 642.

nastytrigger
06-28-2012, 17:42
I've been playing with my new-to-me Kel-Tec P3AT. 100% for me and the previous, original, owner (lucky to know the original owner).

What ammo again? By brass jacketed Remington, do you mean Golden Saber? UMC?

Sounds like 50 rds were put through? Maybe buy some different types of ammo, and at least put a couple hundred rounds through it to see. I've heard the little guy may need a break-in. If no luck with anything, call Kel-Tec.

The_Gun_Guru
06-28-2012, 17:51
Maybe it was the shooter, I can consistantly hit an 18" gong at 100yds with my 642.

Ummmmm, no. It was the gun.

Nice try though.:rofl:

TGG

Two Guns
06-28-2012, 18:41
I have had a P3AT for more than 7 years with well more than 2000 rounds down the tube. I have had just one jam in it. That jam was caused by me drawing the gun weak (left) handed and shooting while I was moving backward. Yes I limp wristed it fellows. :)

cowboywannabe
06-28-2012, 18:48
after you spend the $ on shipping it to and fro you'll realize you coulda bought a 642.

Bob Hafler
06-28-2012, 19:26
Sounds like it needs a fluff and buff done to it. Keltec forums will be able to help you out. If you do not want to go that route call Kel Tec there CS is second to none. I have a P3at with quite a few rounds (about 800 to 1000)through it and could not be happier with the little gun. Many times those problems work themselves out with those little pistols. It's not my EDC but it has it's place for when the PM9 or Glock 26 will not do.

Wyoming
06-28-2012, 20:16

Maybe half that statement is true about being difficult to shoot..............for a newbie. Barrel length has nothing to do with inherent accuracy of any type of firearm. Snubbies are not inaccurate only snubbie shooters.

I don't carry snubbie as much now days, I am not a world class shooter but I still own several J frame Smiths. I may not be able to hit your ass at a 100 yards on the first shot but your luck will run out before the revolver runs out of ammo.

As for the original post. Clean and lubricate the pistol, try a different magazine and try different ammo. If things don't seem to improve call Kel Tec. They have a history of making thing good.

CrackerKen
06-28-2012, 20:19
My P3AT got off to a rough start. The first box of ammo I ran through it was some old WWB FMJ I had from when I had a .380 years ago. Not so good. I ran some carry ammo through it, both Federal Hydra-Shok and Corbon DPX. No problems with any of that. Then I ran a bag of 50 FMJ reloads though it (I bought them from a booth at a gun show when .380 was very scarce). The FMJ reloads worked fine, and things have smoothed out nicely, and the pistol works very good now. A break-in period or the "fluff and buff" routine is a good thing. Also, these guns like to be lubed. I used Weapon Shield grease on the slide rails, and barrel, and RemOil where it calls for oil

If you have a Kel Tec pistol, the KTOG forum is a good place to hang out and ask questions.

I also own a 642 and I love it. J-Frames are, at least for the most part, capable of being more accurate than the shooter. It takes practice. I've been through police qualifications courses with mine (3, 7, and 15 yds, 40 shots), and passed with no problems.

hogship
06-28-2012, 20:27
First, let me say that I am not new to shooting, guns, semi-autos, or small pistols. I've been shooting regularly since I was younger than 10. My daily carry is either a Glock 26 or Kahr PM40.

I wanted something really small for backup carry in my ankle holster, or when I'm wearing an outfit that precludes even the Kahr, so I went to Cheaper than Dirt and picked up a new Kel-Tec P3AT.

Took it to the gun range today and it jammed at least once per magazine. After the first four or five jams, I asked the range master to have a look at it. He couldn't see anything wrong but lubed it a bit more. Looking back I should have had him shoot it but did not. Anyway, I put a box through it hoping the issue would resolve, but it never did. It jammed on average 1-3 times per six rounds. Finally I left in disgust.

Anybody else have this experience with the P3AT? The only other thing I can think of is that I have literally the smallest hands of any adult I've ever met, but they're pretty strong and I've never had an issue with any other semi-auto. I was using brass-jacketed Remington ammunition.

Emoore.......The suggestion about a "break in" period is good, but one jam per magazine is unacceptable. Are you getting the same result from different magazines? It would help if we knew just what the jam looked like.......feeding issues?.....ejecting?, extracting? What can you tell us about that?

ooc

Emoore
06-28-2012, 20:43
Emoore.......The suggestion about a "break in" period is good, but one jam per magazine is unacceptable. Are you getting the same result from different magazines? It would help if we knew just what the jam looked like.......feeding issues?.....ejecting?, extracting? What can you tell us about that?

ooc

I only had one magazine to use. My husband is out of town with his P3AT and I'll try the mag out of his in my new pistol when he gets back to see if that fixes it. The issue was that it would not eject the spent shell. From the way it looked when it jammed open, it almost looked like it was trying to cycle a new round with the spent shell still in the chamber. The slide would "stick" halfway back and I couldn't get the magazine to drop out by pushing the button. I'd have to kind of grab the slide backwards with my strong hand like I was staring to disassemble it, push the magazine drop button with my strong side finger, and then kind of pry the magazine out with my fingernail. At that point I could kind of wiggle the spent shell out.

I was using 95gr FMJ Remington UMC.

I'll try another magazine and if that doesn't work I'll send it back to KT for service. Thanks for the advice.

ithaca_deerslayer
06-28-2012, 20:55
I only had one magazine to use. My husband is out of town with his P3AT and I'll try the mag out of his in my new pistol when he gets back to see if that fixes it. The issue was that it would not eject the spent shell. From the way it looked when it jammed open, it almost looked like it was trying to cycle a new round with the spent shell still in the chamber. The slide would "stick" halfway back and I couldn't get the magazine to drop out by pushing the button. I'd have to kind of grab the slide backwards with my strong hand like I was staring to disassemble it, push the magazine drop button with my strong side finger, and then kind of pry the magazine out with my fingernail. At that point I could kind of wiggle the spent shell out.

I'll try another magazine and if that doesn't work I'll send it back to KT for service. Thanks for the advice.

Try your husband's to see if it is you. If his works fine in your hands, then swap with him :rofl:

So, slide doesn't come back all the way? Maybe, just maybe, a good cleaning of the chamber, wire brush round and round. Patch round and round. Clean the rails good, use a tooth pick pushing a patch into the 90 degree angles. Clean whole gun real good. Lightly lube. Rack slide 20 times, see if it is moving good. Try again. Try different ammo.

Good luck.

hoghunter82
06-28-2012, 21:02
After three in person trips to Kel Tec in Cocoa, FL to get my P3AT to act right (feed issues, jam-o-matic, nosedives, and everything else) and still no luck I just threw it in a bucket of muddy water to watch it rust. I wanted that gun to work so bad. Truly the perfect pocket pistol but could never trust my life to it. I refuse to buy dollar store firearms anymore. Too many headaches. Just my opinion.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

hogship
06-28-2012, 21:07

OK, sounds like you ought to concentrate on ejection issues. There are a number of things that could cause that......ammo, springs, ejector, etc.........Hard to say, at this point, but your plan to use your husband's magazine is a good place to start getting some answers.

When you mentioned you were able to "wiggle" the spent shell out, do you mean it was still partially chambered? If that's the case, it appears as if the extractor has lost it's grip on the rim of the case. Possibly a new extractor would do it, but there should have been enough rearward force of the spent case to fully extract. I've heard of the rim of a spent case catching on the case mouth of the top round in the magazine..........this could be a magazine problem, or possibly the magazine is seating at an incorrect height.......? :dunno:

Your plan to try another magazine.....and if that doesn't work, send it to KT......is a very good game plan.:supergrin:

ooc

ithaca_deerslayer
06-28-2012, 21:22
And if the Kel Tec doen't get fixed, either try another or try a Ruger LCP.

I don't want to suggest one is better than the other. Just that it is a great platform. I love my LCP, but I did add a stiffer recoil spring to help it return to battery 100% :)

Maybe your spring is too stiff? But still seems like the slide should go all the way back unless something is binding.

Travclem
06-28-2012, 21:54
Ummmmm, no. It was the gun.

Nice try though.:rofl:

TGG

What gun was it? I assume you put it I a ransom rest and verified it's inaccuracy.

Sharky7
06-28-2012, 22:02
I had a Kel Tec P3AT and it was nothing but problems. Never could get the thing to work right even after being sent to the factory.

I have a Ruger LCP and a S&W Bodyguard that are both flawless.

4Baldy
06-28-2012, 22:17
We have three KT-3at's and two Ruger LCP's. I had to adjust the KT's a little but so far the LCP's have run good. I load my own ammo and our pistols are running fine. YMMV.

PimpStick
06-28-2012, 22:23
Sounds like it needs a fluff and buff done to it. Keltec forums will be able to help you out. If you do not want to go that route call Kel Tec there CS is second to none. I have a P3at with quite a few rounds (about 800 to 1000)through it and could not be happier with the little gun. Many times those problems work themselves out with those little pistols. It's not my EDC but it has it's place for when the PM9 or Glock 26 will not do.

Ditto on all points. I fluffed and buffed my gen2 P3AT, and had 0 FTF's.

Caver 60
06-28-2012, 23:00
Don't know how handy you are mechanically, but go here and read up on the first three links.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537310

Some real good info there. I doubt your small hands are causing the problem, especially since you are an experienced shooter. With small pocket pistols, generally smaller hands are an advantage.

Try your husbands P3AT when he gets back in town and see how it preforms for you. Then try the magazine from his pistol in your P3AT. Or go to a dealer and buy a new magazine. They aren't that expensive. Personally I have at least 10 magazines for every pistol I own. IMO you can't own too many magazines.

I have two P3AT's. One old first generation one. It had a long list of problems that took me about 500 rounds and a lot of tinkering to get it running right. Since then, I quit counting at 3,000 rounds, but it's got quite a few more than that through it with no more problems, once I got all the original problems fixed.

I bought a second generation P3AT a few years ago just to have a spare on hand. Only had one very small problem with it which was easily fixed by smoothing a small burr on the underside of the extractor. I quit counting at 1,000 rounds through it, but it still runs great.

I carry one of mine daily. It makes a great backup to one of my main carry pistols, Or it can be carried alone, depending on conceal-ability requirements.

If you and your husband can't figure out what the problem is, I think Kel Tec will make it right. Good luck.

ViennaGambit
06-28-2012, 23:06
I have heard good things about the P3AT and even better things about their customer service... I was in the .380 market a few months ago and went with the LCP, but would have felt confident enought with the P3AT, but one was not available at the time.

The P3AT has been around forever... Let customer service take care of you.

As far as the J-Frame - you cannot compare the two - the P3AT is soooooo much smaller than the J-Frame that they are in totally different classes IMHO. I had a J-Frame, but sold it as it really wasn't THAT much easier to carry than my G26. The LCP on the other hand just disappears...

Reb 56
06-28-2012, 23:24
Why do people still buy those K-T's when there are much better pocket guns out there?
The workmanship on the K-T is shoddy, lots of tool marks inside that the buyer is expected to F&B then fire 200 rnds to break in. If that doesn't work send it back to K-T on your dime, did I mention the plastic ejector that just kind of falls off when you field strip it. Sorry about the rant got carried away.

AtlantaR6
06-29-2012, 06:05

Got a video of this?

IGotIt
06-29-2012, 06:49
Nothing wrong with my P3AT. I took a real fine piece of emory cloth to smooth the feed ramp, cleaned it, and it's fine. A great little gun to throw in the front pants pocket on a trip to Wally World or the beach.

1gewehr
06-29-2012, 09:24
So, what ammo are you using? Every P3AT I have ever seen likes it's ammo a bit on the hot side. The Winchester Target Flat point loads are notorious for not cycling the P3AT. The other suggestion about the magazine is possible, but does not sound likely from your description.

The other suggestion about cleaning and buffing is also good. I've seen where guns fresh from the factory have gummed-up oil on sliding surfaces that made cycling more difficult. While the pistol is disassembled for cleaning, look for burrs or rough spots on the frame rails.

If none of that helps, send it back to Keltec. They are pretty good about resolving these problems.

Travclem
06-29-2012, 09:52
Got a video of this?
No but if you are ever in Lubbock, TX hit me up and we'll go shoot.

I'll try to get a video sometime, I just got a new AR500 gong.

Emoore
06-29-2012, 11:11
So, what ammo are you using? Every P3AT I have ever seen likes it's ammo a bit on the hot side. The Winchester Target Flat point loads are notorious for not cycling the P3AT.

I was using 95gr FMJ Remington UMC. Not flat points.

Berto
06-29-2012, 11:29
I was using 95gr FMJ Remington UMC. Not flat points.

To be fair, that's not an especially strong load. It only chronos low 800fps from the P3AT or BG380.
Warmer defense loaded ammo might help, if you like FMJ, try Fiocchi.

Lower power ammo like the Rem or Win ball, combined with a less than strong grip will get you FTE's as the gun needs more 'oomph' to reliably shuck and feed.

The rem/umc works in my gun, but you can tell it's light.

http://img703.imageshack.us/img703/5862/3913report006.jpg

Bob Hafler
06-29-2012, 11:47
I'm still sticking with a Fluff and Buff and few more roundsdown the pipe. Only other thing I might try would be taking the mag apart to see if there is anything in it to help cause the jamming. P3at's are like so many other pistols.They get better with age. Like I have mentioned before, I do not treat mine all that well ,but it still goes bang everytime.

WiskyT
06-29-2012, 15:07
Got a video of this?

It would look similar to when I would hit the 14" at 70 yards with my 442. One of our club members has a 642 that he didn't shoot much. I encouraged him to shoot it at 25 yards since I know he is a good shot. He put 10 rounds in the black of a 25 yard slow fire target.

Caver 60
06-29-2012, 22:24
Never had any problem with the WWB flat point target ammo in either of my P3AT's. It's been my carry ammo for several years now. I don't know how many rounds of it I've fired, but I'm sure it exceeds 1,000. Feeds fine. In fact every thing I've ever tried (except TulAmmo) works great in either one of them. I'll never buy TulAmmo again, it didn't work properly in 9mm caliber either.

From what you're describing, could be a rough chamber, or something else that's rough? Clean it good and take a look at all mating surfaces. If it's a chamber problem I'd give Kel Tec a call. Probably best to just do that anyway, unless you or your husband are mechanically inclined.

NeverMore1701
06-29-2012, 22:29
Mine was fine, but my P238 outclasses it in every way. I'd contact KT about it.

CrackerKen
06-30-2012, 08:09
As I mentioned before, I had some initial issues with mine, similar to what the OP described, if not the same.

I took some Semichrome polish on a cleaning patch and worked on my feed ramp. It was already kind of smooth, but when I finished it looked like a mirror. I make sure mine is adequately lubed as well. People have reported that these little pistols like to run wet.

I lube mine as per these instructions:

http://goldenloki.com/gunsmith/keltec/lube.htm

That guy knows his stuff when it comes to KelTec pistols. He does the "fluff and buff" routine, and Duracoat as well. I have a copy of those instructions in my cleaning supply box.

greatwun
07-01-2012, 19:15
Had a P3AT that I bought used. Went thought a box of ammo until it would not fire anymore. The hammer would fall but the primer would not ignite on any of the rounds I used. I suspected it was the firing pin after using 8 different rounds from a Winchester white box and a Remington box. Also noticed a small crack on the frame had developed.

So I sent it back to Keltec and emailed them. They said it would take 6 weeks for repairs. 6 weeks go by and no one has contacted me. I emailed them and I get a reply from Erica. She said that the gunsmith is busy and it will go out next week. Next week comes around and still haven't received my Keltec. Contacted Erica again and she says it will be another week. Next week is the same story and again for 2 more weeks. Finally get my P3AT back after 10 weeks in the shop.

Maybe I just happen to get a lemon from the factory however Keltec customer service and their lack of communication skills completely turned me off their products. As far as my experience was concerned they lacked a sense of urgency and I was the one who had to always contact them for the status of my repairs. I would prefer to give my business to a more reputable gun company like Glock. BTW, I saved all the emails between I and Keltec.

Caladan
07-01-2012, 21:32
Did you clean it before you shot it? If so, you have most likely lost the ejector. This seems to happen frequently, as the ejector is extremely small and will fall out of the frame if you turn the stripped frame upside-down. Losing the ejector will cause the malfunctions you describe.

mikegun
07-01-2012, 21:45
Make sure the FRANKENBOLT is screwed down tight, if loose it will cause a jam...sent u a pm, i have carried a kt 380 or a pf9, in my pocket for many yrs, as a bu,and fired about a mag per mo through either gun, never had a single jam or ftf, just remember these pistols like oil,unlike a Glock,so keep an eye out for a dry Kel Tec. and if you limp wrist these guns are not for you...:wavey:good luck

Caver 60
07-02-2012, 20:08
This link was included in the link I posted in an earlier post. But you might want to read through this one and see if any of it applies to your pistol.

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/fteftf.htm

Caver 60
07-02-2012, 20:35
Did you clean it before you shot it? If so, you have most likely lost the ejector. This seems to happen frequently, as the ejector is extremely small and will fall out of the frame if you turn the stripped frame upside-down. Losing the ejector will cause the malfunctions you describe.

I'm pretty sure loosing the ejector will not cause the OP's malfunction. But she should check for that possibility. It may cause being unable to eject a round when manually cycling the pistol. But I'm pretty sure the pistol will kick the empty out under firing conditions, even without the ejector.

I just pulled the ejector on the P3AT that I normally keep in my pocket at all times, loaded a full magazine, stepped out back and fired the full magazine as fast as I could pull and release the trigger. Fortunately I live where I can fire anytime day or night without causing problems.

All rounds fed and ejected without a hitch. I've done this several times before just to check. I've also read on other forums that loosing the ejector will only cause problems when manually cycling the P3AT pistol.

I then reinstalled the P3AT ejector, reloaded, put it in the pocket holster, and stuck it back in my pocket. I had something else on me while i was preforming this test. (I've seen that western movie. Ha Ha.)

Braken
07-03-2012, 07:12
I have a KT like you describe.
I wear carpenter jeans and carry it daily in the side leg pocket with the pistol in a pocket protector. This gun gets so dirty and sanded, most people would freak about it, but I bought it to use.
The only cleaning i've done is the Hornady hot shot spray clean lube stuff. Maybe wipe the pipe once in awhile. Blow the dirt outta the mag from time to time.
I run wally's winchester flat nose target mostly in the pistol.
It will jamb when I rack the slide back sometimes, and has jambed after fired a few times, but it's always been good for the first shot.
I agree the buffing of the feed ramp would probably go a long way to fixing the problem.
I shot the pistol last weekend, had not been cleaned in a few months, (checked the pipe to make sure no obstructions), blow the dust out and ran 2 mags thru it without fail.
I like the pistol and will buy another one.

Nakanokalronin
07-03-2012, 09:07
Mine was fine, but my P238 outclasses it in every way. I'd contact KT about it.

Agreed. The only other pocket .380 I'd recommend at this point is the BG380. It's on the opposite spectrum of the P238 as far as the trigger and frame material goes, but it's much more solid than the other poly .380s and is as easy to shoot as far as recoil and it staying in the hand without grip enhancements as the P238 is.

wjv
07-03-2012, 10:52
Got a video of this?

100 yard shooting with a snub nose revolver

Extreme Marksman:100 yrd Shots with a 1 5/8 " Barrel Snub Nose S&W Revolver- YouTube

Smith & Wesson 325 review, NIghtguard 45 ACP, SHOOTING AT 100 yards! "STREET COP, STRAIGHT TALK" - YouTube

Caver 60
07-03-2012, 12:41
I've never been anywhere close to as good as that guy is. But I had a 2 inch barrel Colt Agent in 38 special that I used to love to shoot at 100 yards. It's amazing what can be hit with it, even at that distance.

I still like to shoot my Kahrs and P3ATs at 50 to 100 yards. Generally I can hit a 5 gallon bucket with them, sometimes even if I don't wear my glasses. My eyes went south when I hit my late 40's so I need glasses to do my best shooting now.

Long range handgun shooting is a blast. I used to do steel silhouettes at 200 yards with my iron sighted Ruger Super Blackhawk and full house 44 mag loads.

Electrikkoolaid
07-03-2012, 13:26
Problem with Kel-Tec is that they expect the customer to complete the manufacturing and QC process for them. They have some very innovative designs, but their manufacturing lags, even considering the low price point. This has gotten really bad in the past 3-4 years.

The customer service used to be very good, but you have to send the pistol in on your dime, and be prepared to wait 2-3 months, (rinse and repeat if not co rrected.)

They also started enforcing the "original owner only" warranty clause recently, which in my opinion is a serious mistake.

By the time you add in postage, wasted ammo, and aggravation the $70-100 it takes to climb to the next rung of quality seems like money well spent.

Caladan
07-03-2012, 18:44
I'm pretty sure loosing the ejector will not cause the OP's malfunction.

I am very glad to hear (read) that your P3AT will function correctly without an ejector. However, I can assure you that not having an ejector can indeed cause the malfunctions already described. You can read the examples of this at the KT-sponsored forum.

steveksux
07-04-2012, 09:12
I'm pretty sure loosing the ejector will not cause the OP's malfunction. But she should check for that possibility. It may cause being unable to eject a round when manually cycling the pistol. But I'm pretty sure the pistol will kick the empty out under firing conditions, even without the ejector.

I just pulled the ejector on the P3AT that I normally keep in my pocket at all times, loaded a full magazine, stepped out back and fired the full magazine as fast as I could pull and release the trigger. Fortunately I live where I can fire anytime day or night without causing problems.

All rounds fed and ejected without a hitch. I've done this several times before just to check. I've also read on other forums that loosing the ejector will only cause problems when manually cycling the P3AT pistol.

I then reinstalled the P3AT ejector, reloaded, put it in the pocket holster, and stuck it back in my pocket. I had something else on me while i was preforming this test. (I've seen that western movie. Ha Ha.)I had some of the bad ejectors from the P11 and a much lesser extent for the PF9. I can assure you that can cause issues. There's a lot of variability in the KelTec guns, you may have just landed on a lucky set of tolerances...

My P11 jammed from the first magazine. I was breaking ejectors relatively frequently for a while. I ended up dremelling a sharp angle smooth to eliminate a stress point where they were cracking. That problem was solved. Still had some feed problems.

Fluff and buff will speed up OPs break in time, those guns like to run wet. And customer service is generally very good there, they'll fix it. I happened to be in FL visiting Kennedy space center, I stopped in to drop it off for service, they said, hey, we'll fix it while you wait, only take a second...

So to who ever had to wait 10 weeks for their pistol back, my apologies, it's guys like me putting them behind schedule... :supergrin:

Once its broken in, properly lubed, it tends to be a pretty reliable pistol. My problem is merely that by the time you shoot enough SD ammo through it to work out the bugs, you've spent all the money you saved buying a cheaper KT vs some other more expensive gun. Some of them work fine right out of the box, too. KT is great if you aren't afraid to work on the gun to get it right.

Not saying that's bad, you end up with a reliable pistol for about the same price in the end either way. Just know what you're getting into, and pay more for something else if you're averse to tinkering. I went and got a PF9 after my P11 ordeal, so that tells you something. Either the pistols are good or I'm a glutton for punishment. The PF9 was much less trouble, they had worked out the ejector issues, I knew to fluff and buff it before putting a lot of ammo through it.

Knees are like girlfriends. Once they go out on you, its really hard to trust them again. Just like KelTec pistols. But you put enough miles on them once you resolve the issues, it can be done.

Randy

Fed Five Oh
07-04-2012, 10:21
Nothing wrong with Kel-Tecs. If they didn't sell them to limp wristers they wouldn't get all the smack talk. Especially limp wristers that refuse to admit they are limp wristers.

hoghunter82
07-04-2012, 12:26
Nothing wrong with Kel-Tecs. If they didn't sell them to limp wristers they wouldn't get all the smack talk. Especially limp wristers that refuse to admit they are limp wristers.

Here we go with the limp wrist crowd. My P38T is a piece of ***** because I limp wrist. I admitted it. Still doesn't change the fact it is a piece of *****.