Liberty. Not Health Care. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Liberty. Not Health Care.

Ruble Noon
06-28-2012, 15:43
This morning, the United States Supreme Court issued its ruling on ObamaCare. The law was passed in 2010 by a Democrat-controlled House and Senate and signed into law by President Barack Obama. In its decision, the Supreme Court upheld the law – including the individual mandate – as constitutional.
When they look back on the American system of once-limited government, June 28, 2012 will stand as a definitive date in the advance of government tyranny. Today, a slim majority of the Supreme Court turned our Constitution on its head, and ruled that the federal government, in effect, can force upon the American people anything it pleases – as long as it is called a tax. Unlimited federal power, combined with judicial activism, has crafted a new regime that destroys our Founders’ vision of limited government.
Not only are individual liberties destroyed as a result of ObamaCare, but YOU, the taxpayers, are on the hook for a non-workable, ineffective, and outrageously expensive health care program. ObamaCare will drive America into bankruptcy, as the law is already radically exceeding original cost estimates. The non-partisan Congressional Budget Office estimates that millions of Americans will likely lose their health insurance plans as employers are driven out of business or are unable to meet massive new mandates and costs of Washington.
Although the court ruled the law could stand, this does not mean the law should stand. I will continue to work toward repealing ObamaCare before it is fully implemented, and will continue to support common sense solutions that actually fix – rather than worsen – America’s health care system. We need to get rid of the Independent Payment Advisory Board, which will raid $500 billion from Medicare and force rationing upon America’s seniors. We need to eliminate the patient records database that threatens doctor-patient confidentiality and privacy. We need to kill the provisions that undermine religious liberty like the HHS Mandate. And, we need to eradicate the expensive burdens placed on America’s job creators that will ultimately may drive at least 20 million people to lose their workplace-based coverage.
The Court may have spoken, but the American people can have the last word this November when they go to the polls and decide the future of our nation. We need the American people in charge, not politicians and bureaucrats.
In the mean time, the week following our Independence Day celebration on July 4th, the U.S. House will have another vote to repeal ObamaCare and defend our liberties. Rest assured, I will be voting Yes.

Sincerely,
http://huelskamp.congressnewsletter.net/images/tim_signature.jpg
Tim Huelskamp
Member of Congress

Ruble Noon
06-28-2012, 18:30
Jim DeMint

Dear Friend,
The Supreme Court may have failed to stop this government takeover of health care, but the American people will not. Since the day this law was rammed through Congress, the American people have demanded repeal, and today’s ruling doesn’t make Obamacare any less dangerous to our nation’s health. Freedom-loving Americans are disappointed, but we cannot be discouraged.
The President's health care law must be fully repealed as all of its promises have proven false. We were told it was not a tax hike, but this ruling confirms it is an unprecedented and enormous tax on the poor and middle class Americans. President Obama needs to explain why he is enacting this middle class tax hike over the objections of the American people during the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression.
We were told it would lower health costs, but health care premiums are exploding. We were told that Americans could keep their personal health plans, but millions will now lose it. We were told it would improve our economy, but it is now the largest obstacle to employers hiring new workers.
This government takeover of health care remains as destructive, unsustainable, and unconstitutional as it was the day it was passed, unread, by a since-fired congressional majority. Now as then, our first step toward real health care reform and economic renewal remains Obamacare's full repeal, down to the last letter and punctuation mark.
I urge every governor to stop implementing the health care exchanges that would help implement the harmful effects of this misguided law. Americans have loudly rejected this federal takeover of health care, and governors should join with the people and reject its implementation.
The Presidents health care law will not reform anything, but is already undermining what does still work in America’s health care system. We cannot build a free market health care system on this flawed structure of centralized government control, we must repeal all of it and start over with commonsense solutions that make health care more affordable and accessible for every American. We can allow Americans to purchase lower cost plans from other states, support state high-risk pools to cover those with pre-existing conditions, medical-malpractice reform to end frivolous lawsuits, and tax equity so Americans who don’t get their health insurance from an employer are not penalized.
Today's decision, however unfortunate, nonetheless represents an opportunity to all Americans, to claim their right to create a health care system of, for, and by the people, not government or special interests. The American people now have the chance and Congress has the responsibility to fully repeal this Washington takeover and reform health care ourselves, together, around the principles of individual liberty, not government mandates.
The same freedom that made America strong and prosperous will make us healthier, too, so long as politicians remember that the health care system is supposed to serve our people, and not the other way around.
Sincerely,
http://jimdemint.hilltopcms.com/index.cfm?a=Files.Serve&File_id=11c62597-602c-462e-9cbe-b954285a295e

cowboywannabe
06-28-2012, 18:40
this is just a federal version of romneycare.

and we expect romney if elected (slight chance) to dismantle or replea it? hell, its a federal version of his own state's bill.

beforeobamabans
06-28-2012, 18:46
Jim Demint for President!

JFrame
06-28-2012, 18:49
Jim DeMint runs one of the few PACs I trust -- I donate to it with the assurance that my money will be spent on promoting and advancing truly conservative senators...

lancesorbenson
06-28-2012, 19:03
this is just a federal version of romneycare.

and we expect romney if elected (slight chance) to dismantle or replea it? hell, its a federal version of his own state's bill.

A lot of people here will tell you it doesn't matter what Romney did at the state level. They will twist it into a states' rights argument and tell you you have no right to an opinion on anything a state does if you don't live in that state. Mental gymnastics at its finest.

With Roberts siding with the majority, the SCOTUS issue is becoming a little shaky. We've been told time and again that perhaps the only reason to vote for Romney is better SC picks, often citing Roberts as the type we want. I've already seen people defending him in this decision. This election is shaping up to be all about compromising conservative, limited government principles. Of course I've seen it stated on GTPI that limited government is not really a traditionally conservative plank.

RCP
06-28-2012, 19:08
Yep, it's actually pretty pathetic watching people try and defend Romney and now Roberts.

certifiedfunds
06-28-2012, 19:37
A lot of people here will tell you it doesn't matter what Romney did at the state level. They will twist it into a states' rights argument and tell you you have no right to an opinion on anything a state does if you don't live in that state. Mental gymnastics at its finest.

With Roberts siding with the majority, the SCOTUS issue is becoming a little shaky. We've been told time and again that perhaps the only reason to vote for Romney is better SC picks, often citing Roberts as the type we want. I've already seen people defending him in this decision. This election is shaping up to be all about compromising conservative, limited government principles. Of course I've seen it stated on GTPI that limited government is not really a traditionally conservative plank.

The conservatives here basically believe conservatism only really involves illegal immigration, drugs, guns and welfare baby-mommas.

They support and defend the federal government seizing unconstitutional power in the WOD and they defend welfare for the elderly. Now, the government has seized yet more unconstitutional power and it has bitten them on the ass. I guess they should've been more concerned the first time.

lancesorbenson
06-28-2012, 19:50
The conservatives here basically believe conservatism only really involves illegal immigration, drugs, guns and welfare baby-mommas.

They support and defend the federal government seizing unconstitutional power in the WOD and they defend welfare for the elderly. Now, the government has seized yet more unconstitutional power and it has bitten them on the ass. I guess they should've been more concerned the first time.

I'm particularly curious how anyone can interpret this ruling as a slap to the use of the Commerce Clause. "It keeps them from regulating inactivity," they cheer, but at the same time draws a roadmap for Congress to regulate any kind of activity whatsoever because it's really just a tax. What's more, like with this bill, Congress doesn't actually have to call it a tax, they can just say you have to buy/do something or be penalized for it by the IRS. If challenged, this decision seems to set the precedent that Congress isn't acting under the Commerce Clause but rather imposing a new tax. Without Congress calling it a tax. I guess we'll see.