Do I have the right to be a little upset(semi-custom build wait time)? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do I have the right to be a little upset(semi-custom build wait time)?

B_RAD
06-28-2012, 17:01
Ok, I think I have the right but I wanted to ask here since many of you have ordered semi-custom 1911's before. I wont say any names but I ordered a 1911 and was quoted a wait time and I'm nearing double the wait time quoted. Is this the norm? I'm not blaming the dealer since they were quoted the same time frame from the manufacturer. Just a little annoying. I've asked for updates from the dealer several times and have been told I'll ask and let you know but I've never recieved an answer. I'm also a little annoyed at that but again I don't know if that's the norm when it comes to ordering a semi-custom. Is this a "send me your $ for a deposit, wait, don't ask when it's going to be ready, wait some more, reach the quoted build time, no call, wait, when I call you and tell you it's ready it's ready," type deal?

I've thought about calling and asking for my deposit back but I want the gun and I don't want to get into a argument about being quoted a bogus build time and then be told I'm not getting my money back. Plus I WANT THE DANG GUN!

I know these builders have long wait times but almost double the time quoted is just unacceptable. If you're quoting times and don't meet them after several guns, start quouting longer times!

Thoughts?

Thanks,

nastytrigger
06-28-2012, 17:06
You've got me curious on who the manufacturer is.

B_RAD
06-28-2012, 17:13
I don't want to bash the manufacturer as I believe they build great firearms. Or at least that's what I'm told. I haven't actually handled one but decided to go with this builder over others based on reviews I've read. I'm just bothered by the extra wait.

nastytrigger
06-28-2012, 17:15
I don't want to bash the manufacturer as I believe they build great firearms. Or at least that's what I'm told. I haven't actually handled one but decided to go with this builder over others based on reviews I've read. I'm just bothered by the extra wait.

I understand. Just wondered who it was. Maybe someone else is waiting too and can compare times, or past experience.

38 Super Fan
06-28-2012, 17:26
I'd be a little upset.

faawrenchbndr
06-28-2012, 18:05
Sounds like more of a dealer issue than the builder.
Some dealers move many more pistols than others. Those that
move more seem to have priority with orders.

Kinda hard to give advice or opinions without knowing the builder.

R0CKETMAN
06-28-2012, 18:20
Depends..if you're promissed a month and it's now two, chill

faawrenchbndr
06-28-2012, 18:32

Darn good point,......waiting is always the hard part!
I'm eight months into a ten month estimate for a build from Chuck Rogers.

glock2740
06-28-2012, 18:46
First off, the dealer is only telling you what is told to him. Also builders have issues that arise, most often that are unknown to them for several reasons. You'll be glad when you get your gun. Trust me. Good things come to those who wait. :cool:

GJ1981
06-28-2012, 18:50
I've been down this road several times, SA quoted me 9 months on a build and took 18 months, another was 8-12 weeks and took 7 months. Guncrafter quoted me 4 months and it's closing in on 8 months with nothing.

You have every right to be pissed...these companies shouldn't give quotes if they can't even come close to meeting them.

Bodyarmorguy
06-28-2012, 19:16
Does it rhyme with fingshrield, Mightshawk or Bilson? :whistling:

faawrenchbndr
06-28-2012, 19:57
Illusion comes to mind.:whistling:

Greyhoundman
06-28-2012, 20:08
I ordered a STI Frame and slide to build my own 10mm back on march 6th was quoted 3-5 weeks when I placed the order, and I just got it last week, basically 16 weeks for just a frame and slide.

bac1023
06-28-2012, 20:16
Waiting for 1911s does suck, especially if its much longer than anticipated.

captdreifus
06-28-2012, 20:22
Well imagine if you were waiting for a class 3 item too...

Just have patients. All will be good in the end :)

B_RAD
06-28-2012, 20:24
First off, the dealer is only telling you what is told to him. Also builders have issues that arise, most often that are unknown to them for several reasons. You'll be glad when you get your gun. Trust me. Good things come to those who wait. :cool:

I know the dealer is only quoting what they were told. I also know that things come up that I may not be aware of. That's why I'm just a little annoyed vs mad. A builder knows if they're meeting the times they quote. If they are not meeting those times they should quote longer times. It's going to be awesome, I know. I was just wondering if this is the norm.

B_RAD
06-28-2012, 20:30

I agree but if I was told I had 90 days to pay for something and then at day 180 I wanted to pay for it I would probably be told that it was sold at day 97.....

Believe me, I don't want them to rush and sacrafice quality. It's going to be awesome! Just want it so it can sit in my safe...... Jeez.....

dakrat
06-28-2012, 20:56
no sense on waiting for a semi-custom when there are lots of stocking dealers out there and can have the pistol the next day. they are usually cheaper than ordering direct from the manufacturer too. unless you ordered something unique.

denn1911
06-28-2012, 21:01

This has been my experience also. You can't blame the dealer because they are at the manufacturer's mercy. Hopefully, your new item arrives soon. Good luck.

glock2740
06-28-2012, 21:04
no sense on waiting for a semi-custom when there are lots of stocking dealers out there and can have the pistol the next day. they are usually cheaper than ordering direct from the manufacturer too. unless you ordered something unique.
We're not talking about a Kimber here. A semi-custom is just that. A model, that is built to your specs/choices of options. I've NEVER seen a semi-custom type of gun (Nighthawk, Wilson, etc. ) at a LGS that couldn't have been ordered with YOUR options AND at a CHEAPER price.

B_RAD
06-28-2012, 21:10
We're not talking about a Kimber here. A semi-custom is just that. A model, that is built to your specs/choices of options. I've NEVER seen a semi-custom type of gun (Nighthawk, Wilson, etc. ) at a LGS that couldn't have been ordered with YOUR options AND at a CHEAPER price.

Not only did nobody have the gun I was looking for it. I'll get it with the options I wanted. I'm also pretty sure I got a better price from this dealer. It's going to be amazing once I do get it!

glock2740
06-28-2012, 21:15
Not only did nobody have the gun I was looking for it. I'll get it with the options I wanted. I'm also pretty sure I got a better price from this dealer. It's going to be amazing once I do get it!
I 100% guarantee it will be. :cool: :thumbsup:

dakrat
06-28-2012, 21:29
We're not talking about a Kimber here.

where did this come from?

A semi-custom is just that. A model, that is built to your specs/choices of options

because a semi-custom 1911 from one manufacturer have tons of options. other than ambi/non-ambi, finish, cocking serrations and night sights what else? most manufacturers are limited to use only their parts unless you go full custom build.

I've NEVER seen a semi-custom type of gun (Nighthawk, Wilson, etc. ) at a LGS that couldn't have been ordered with YOUR options AND at a CHEAPER price.

Crazy John stocks Browns and Baers in different configurations. can have your pistol shipped next day air. and cheaper than ordering direct from the manufacturers. both of my Baers are not standard options and have shot them at the range in less than 24 hour from ordering.

B_RAD
06-28-2012, 21:41
where did this come from?

because a semi-custom 1911 from one manufacturer have tons of options. other than ambi/non-ambi, finish, cocking serrations and night sights what else? most manufacturers are limited to use only their parts unless you go full custom build.

Crazy John stocks Browns and Baers in different configurations. can have your pistol shipped next day air. and cheaper than ordering direct from the manufacturers. both of my Baers are not standard options and have shot them at the range in less than 24 hour from ordering.

Crazy John does not stock the gun I wanted. I called around and looked everywhere I could. Nobody had them in stock and their prices for the last ones they had were more than the dealer I ended up going with.

I do want a Baer also. Maybe next year.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

dakrat
06-28-2012, 21:43
Crazy John does not stock the gun I wanted. I called around and looked everywhere I could. Nobody had them in stock and their prices for the last ones they had were more than the dealer I ended up going with.

I do want a Baer also. Maybe next year.

thats unfortunate. I hope you get your long waited order soon!

glock2740
06-28-2012, 21:50
While CJ does stock some pretty cool Baers and Browns, he would still have to order any Baer or Brown that I would want. I know first hand. And I never have and never would, order a gun from the manufacturer. I know that dealers have better prices. The Kimber reference was to buying a Wilson/NH/GC/Baer/Brown, etc. from a LGS. People that buy guns of that nature, tend to want things the way THEY want them. And, like I said before, I've NEVER seen any of the above mentioned guns at a LGS for less than MSRP, much less anywhere near the price that could be had from a dealer. I'm not putting CJ in the LGS category. He's a dealer. Don't try and put words in my mouth.

BigDeeeeeeee
06-28-2012, 21:53
Waiting sucks but you're gonna love it.:cool:

dakrat
06-28-2012, 21:54

Don't try and put words in my mouth.
I am talking about stocking dealers. you changed the subject to LGS...

glock2740
06-28-2012, 22:11

I am talking about stocking dealers. you changed the subject to LGS...
My mistake on the LGS. Stocking dealers may have guns with certain options, but if you want what you want, even a stocking dealer will have to order your gun. Especially for the kind of coin you'll be spending. CJ is one of the one and only stocking dealers that I know of, who has much in stock. Most dealers will tell you straight up, that they aren't tying their money up in a gun that costs that much and have it sit in their shop for who knows how long. CJ can do it, as Baer and Brown offer very few options. All of the other big name semi-custom shops will pretty much build to your specs.

R0CKETMAN
06-29-2012, 05:16
I agree but if I was told I had 90 days to pay for something and then at day 180 I wanted to pay for it I would probably be told that it was sold at day 97.....

Believe me, I don't want them to rush and sacrafice quality. It's going to be awesome! Just want it so it can sit in my safe...... Jeez.....

Not sure what any of that "code stuff" is, but you've been so overly vague you haven't even specified quoted vs actual wait time in your OP.

On the up side you now have flexibility to get your money back and go a different direction if your taste have changed.

It's called a virtue for a reason....even in Malibu

deadite
06-29-2012, 05:28
As a business owner/ commission artist, if I quoted someone 6 months and the project took a year, I would be out of business in no time. Honestly, it's time to hold them accountable.

glock2740
06-29-2012, 05:41
Well, straight from Wilson's mouth, they are back logged with over 5000 guns! :wow: Kinda hard to keep up, with ordering like that IMO. Either they can stop taking orders (not likely) or people can show their aggrivasion by not placing orders (again, not likely).

TTM65
06-29-2012, 06:12
I have yet to miss a delivery by more than a week. Many times custom builders take on too much work, tell the customers the same thing on wait times then build. It is not that complicated.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 06:59
Not sure what any of that "code stuff" is, but you've been so overly vague you haven't even specified quoted vs actual wait time in your OP.

On the up side you now have flexibility to get your money back and go a different direction if your taste have changed.

It's called a virtue for a reason....even in Malibu

I'm not sure what you mean? "code stuff"? I was just saying that if the situation was reversed I'd be out of luck. If I put something on a lay-away type payment plan and didn't pay it off in the specified time I'd probably lose some of my money and the gun would be resold.

As far as being "overly vague", does it mater who the dealer/builder is or how long I've been waiting? I was quoted X number of weeks and now it's getting close to twice that. I don't want to say the actual number because that may give away who the builder is. I'm trying to be cool and not diss anyone here. Just asking if the the is the norm when waiting. It seems so...

faawrenchbndr
06-29-2012, 07:07

As far as being "overly vague", does it mater who the dealer/builder is or how long I've been waiting? I was quoted X number of weeks and now it's getting close to twice that. I don't want to say the actual number because that may give away who the builder is. I'm trying to be cool and not diss anyone here. Just asking if the the is the norm when waiting. It seems so...

Makes perfect sense,.......

PlasticGuy
06-29-2012, 08:41
...does it mater who the dealer/builder is or how long I've been waiting? I was quoted X number of weeks and now it's getting close to twice that. I don't want to say the actual number because that may give away who the builder is. I'm trying to be cool and not diss anyone here. Just asking if the the is the norm when waiting. It seems so...
I can understand why you don't want to bash the builder. That makes sense. Not telling us the wait time is kinda silly. It also makes it impossible to know if your experience is within reason or not. It's your choice. It just means you won't get direct feedback on your experience.

I have purchased several semi-custom and custom guns. Sometimes they come on time. Other times the company has a gunsmith get sick or injured. Other times they get a contract that needs to be filled before resuming normal production. Other times they get stalled while waiting for parts to come in from a sub-contractor, or maybe a milling or cnc machine breaks and needs repairs. Waiting an extra month or two is not unusual with semi-customs. Waiting a few extra months (or even several months) is not unusual with full custom guns. It happens. I have always been happy in the end though.

fnfalman
06-29-2012, 09:16
Of course the OP has the right to be upset when delivery date doesn't meet quoted date. However, why bother raising blood pressure over a toy? I'm sure you have other guns so you're not defenseless.

It'll come one of these days.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 09:40
I can understand why you don't want to bash the builder. That makes sense. Not telling us the wait time is kinda silly. It also makes it impossible to know if your experience is within reason or not. It's your choice. It just means you won't get direct feedback on your experience.

I have purchased several semi-custom and custom guns. Sometimes they come on time. Other times the company has a gunsmith get sick or injured. Other times they get a contract that needs to be filled before resuming normal production. Other times they get stalled while waiting for parts to come in from a sub-contractor, or maybe a milling or cnc machine breaks and needs repairs. Waiting an extra month or two is not unusual with semi-customs. Waiting a few extra months (or even several months) is not unusual with full custom guns. It happens. I have always been happy in the end though.

Well, I don't want to be silly... I was quoted "12-13 weeks. Maybe sooner". It's been approx 20-22 wks. Depending on when the order was made. 21 wks since my check cleared.

I'm not furious or really upset, I'm just a little annoyed. I'll know next time that the quoted estimate build time could be significantly longer. It'll be all good when you just accept that at the beginning. As for this time, I shoul be getting it soon... I can't wait to look at it constantly for the first several days, shoot it the first weekend and then put it up......

faawrenchbndr
06-29-2012, 09:46
Sounds as if the frustration is not the extended build time, but
the lack of updates and information. Completely understandable.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 09:49

A little of both. However, starting this topic was mostly to know if it's normal for the times to go over?

Thanks for all the replies so far, folks.

XDFAN420
06-29-2012, 09:56
Not to let the cat out of the bag, but if yours looks anything like the one the guy posted in the 1911 forum. I would endure the extra wait time. Whats the cost on their guns?

fnfalman
06-29-2012, 10:12
Well, I don't want to be silly... I was quoted "12-13 weeks. Maybe sooner". It's been approx 20-22 wks. Depending on when the order was made. 21 wks since my check cleared.

I think that if they were to do this sort of thing, then the least that they can do is not to cash your check until your gun goes into production.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 10:31
Not to let the cat out of the bag, but if yours looks anything like the one the guy posted in the 1911 forum. I would endure the extra wait time. Whats the cost on their guns?

I'm not sure which one you're talking about but I doubt mine looks like the last one I've seen. Different finishes. As for the pricing I could only tell you what my price was/is for the options I requested. I don't know if that's acceptable practice here so PM me an I'll let you know. I can tell you that the price I'm paying for this gun is a good deal less than some of the competitors with less options. So I'm getting more for less $... That's a win win any way you look at it. Plus, I'm hearing this manufacturer is building better guns than the other semi custom builders.

R0CKETMAN
06-29-2012, 12:40
I'm not sure what you mean? "code stuff"? I was just saying that if the situation was reversed I'd be out of luck. If I put something on a lay-away type payment plan and didn't pay it off in the specified time I'd probably lose some of my money and the gun would be resold.

utdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

I'm not a very smart person so the whole layaway thing confuses me.

Although you've revealed since this post, being told two weeks and it's now four would be a little ridiculous.

Let me tell you my little Wilson Combat story from 2008
1. ordered Wilson CQBE through dealer recommended by Wilson
2. Paid $1500 deposit
3. Waited 8 months.
4. checked on order only to find out dealer dropped ball and never placed it

deposit refunded and bought a Baer from CJ. In my hands in 48 hours.

at least my Malibu thingy was funny:supergrin:

glock2740
06-29-2012, 13:07
I agree to a point, but I'd rather them spend their time building my gun than updating me on the status. I'm as impatient as most, if not more so, but I realized along time ago, that if it takes them longer to get it right, then I'll be happier in the long run. Rather be impatient about not having it in my hands, than rush the builder and have him not do his best work and me end up sending it back. Then I would REALLY be pissed off about the whole experience. Plus, from talking with builders, the people that are constantly nagging them tend to get put on the back burner. Builders really do appreciate patient clients. :)

faawrenchbndr
06-29-2012, 13:12
Yep,.....I e-mailed Chuck a few weeks ago. Then I realized it was
only the eighth month. Estimate was four to ten months, so I am
looking at the middle of July, or later. Going to be worth the way. :supergrin:

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 13:29
I agree to a point, but I'd rather them spend their time building my gun than updating me on the status. I'm as impatient as most, if not more so, but I realized along time ago, that if it takes them longer to get it right, then I'll be happier in the long run. Rather be impatient about not having it in my hands, than rush the builder and have him not do his best work and me end up sending it back. Then I would REALLY be pissed off about the whole experience. Plus, from talking with builders, the people that are constantly nagging them tend to get put on the back burner. Builders really do appreciate patient clients. :)

I agree.

I've never contacted the builder. Only the dealer a hand full of times asking about options and if there was an ETA. Never felt like I was nagging but was aware that I could be perceived that way if i wasn't carefull.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 14:08
I do want to add that in most every other retail situation the customer is always right. Meaning that if I spend $2k -3k on a dang hand gun I can call and ask if it's close to being ready after the quoted wait time has passed. If that's bothering the seller, that'll be the last time I buy from them. This "you should be glad I'm letting you buy an expensive gun from me and you should be great full" attitude is not gonna fly with me. I'm not saying this dealer is doing this but it seems like some do.

fnfalman
06-29-2012, 14:27
I do want to add that in most every other retail situation the customer is always right. Meaning that if I spend $2k -3k on a dang hand gun I can call and ask if it's close to being ready after the quoted wait time has passed. If that's bothering the seller, that'll be the last time I buy from them. This "you should be glad I'm letting you buy an expensive gun from me and you should be great full" attitude is not gonna fly with me. I'm not saying this dealer is doing this but it seems like some do.

Yep. I don't tolerate that attitude while buying a $100K car, much less buying a $3000 handgun.

Deliver on time and I won't ask any stupid question.

fnfalman
06-29-2012, 14:28
I agree to a point, but I'd rather them spend their time building my gun than updating me on the status.

If a shop that makes $3000 M1911 with such backlog yet couldn't afford a secretary to do the mundane stuff, then something is wrong.

glock2740
06-29-2012, 14:56
If a shop that makes $3000 M1911 with such backlog yet couldn't afford a secretary to do the mundane stuff, then something is wrong.
I agree 100%, but I don't run their shop. If I did, I'd hire someone to do such a thing. It's capitalism at it's finest though. :) There's people complaining, saying that they'll never buy anything from Wilson, yet that would probably only help the people who do buy from them out. With a back log of over 5000 guns, I doubt they "wish some people would canel their orders", but I'm sure it would take some pressure off. It hasn't hurt business for them though, obviously, as their pricing has gone up and their back log has gone up as well. All I can say, is that Bill Wilson must be rolling in the $$$. :cool:

R0CKETMAN
06-29-2012, 15:29

Agreed on the CS. However on the wait you must remember you have requested something made to your individual specifications. A custom hand made product cannot be compared to "most every other retail situation" regardless of price point.

Is it worth the added wait is a question only you can answer.

B_RAD
06-29-2012, 16:30
Is it worth the added wait is a question only you can answer.

It's going to be awesome! If it's not, I'll list it on here and a few other places. I'm sure I want have to hard of a time moving it at close to what I paid for it..... :supergrin:

G26AZ
06-29-2012, 16:36
The closest I've come to anyting like this is when I took my Colt Commander to Robar's to get it NP3+ coated, and have some reliability work done on it. They quoted me 8-10 weeks, and it took 11 (IIRC). That last week after the 10th weeks was the longest wait I've ever done!:)
Then to make it worse, they called on the day we were heading out of town for an extended weekend, so I had to wait until we got home to go over and pick it up. Talk about a LONG weekend!

Bu, like others have said, the wait was well worth it! Once I got it back and took it to the range, all memories of how long it took seemed to fade away and I just enjoyed the gun.

glock2740
06-29-2012, 17:09
It's going to be awesome! If it's not, I'll list it on here and a few other places. I'm sure I want have to hard of a time moving it at close to what I paid for it..... :supergrin:
I bet that once you get it, you won't want to part with it. :cool:

R0CKETMAN
06-29-2012, 18:53
It's going to be awesome! :supergrin:

Adda boy good attitude:thumbsup::thumbsup:

You're going to love that custom...

Ruger:tongueout::animlol::cheers:

Amsdorf
06-30-2012, 12:30
Sure, I'd be upset too.

The question you've got to be asking yourself is "Do I feel lucky?"

No wait. Scratch that.

Seriously, you decided to get a semi-custom, and I assume it is a reputable source. I'd place a respectful phone call, and I do emphasize RESPECTFUL and inquire.

You may hear they are swamped.

And so, you can simply decide it is worth the wait.

As always, respectfully offered opinion, FWIW YMMV.

Batesmotel
06-30-2012, 20:35
Just be patient.

You want it NOW, get a glock.

Demand for fine things requires a premium in time and money.
It will come.

Some of my photography customers wait 2-3 months for their portrait. I need to be in the right mood and state of mind to give them my best work. In the end no one complains.

A truly fine weapon is well worth the wait.

You want to know the pain of waiting? Get into high end custom knives. A few months for a pistol is nothing.