Anybody shoot homegrown cast slugs in stock G 20 10mm barrels? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Anybody shoot homegrown cast slugs in stock G 20 10mm barrels?

21Glock
06-28-2012, 18:40
I have shot my homegrown cast slugs in my stock G21 SF barrel before I got a Lone Wolf 6" barrel.
I was very careful to clean the bore after every range session so no build up of lead would have a KB to occur. But, we were talking speeds of less than 1000fps.
Not, 10mm velocity with speeds of near 1200fps with a LEE SWC 175gr. slug lubed with Liquid Alox.
WW will be my casting alloy by the way, water quenched right from the mold.

Anybody doing this with their stock barrels in 10mm stock barrels, safely?

I'll be getting an aftermarket barrel soon, just wanted to see if could do for this for a while until I can alot the funds for the new barrel.

Thanks!

CanyonMan
06-28-2012, 19:39
I have shot a ton of Had Cast bullets through the stock barrels on Glocks. Probably more through the G20 than any other, but for 14 years or so NO problems, and accuracy has been great. I usually shoot between 1150 to 1300+ fps with my own hand loads and Beartooh bullets and Hunters Supply Cast bullets. Most powder charges are with Blue Dot. At first I used 2400, then switched.

Every now and then I use a after market barrel, but not very often. For me the AM barrel is just to save brass life on hotter loads. The stock barrel/s on the glocks even with the Hard Cast bullets has been very accurate at even very long range shootings out on the ranch.

No complaints or problems at all in all these years. Just keep it clean ! ;)

Have fun !

CM

Yondering
06-28-2012, 20:34
Not, 10mm velocity with speeds of near 1200fps with a LEE SWC 175gr. slug lubed with Liquid Alox.

Don't waste your time with that lube at that velocity. It works ok (not great) with low velocity stuff, 800-1000 fps, but really sucks above that. You will get leading with that load, and it won't be the barrel's fault.

Use a decent bullet and decent lube, and you'll have good results with the stock barrel.

I will add that cast bullets (soft and hard) are all I shoot out of my stock G21 barrel. Accuracy is excellent, and I rarely bother to clean it. Of course, I'm not using LLA for lube either.

21Glock
06-28-2012, 20:47
Don't waste your time with that lube at that velocity. It works ok (not great) with low velocity stuff, 800-1000 fps, but really sucks above that. You will get leading with that load, and it won't be the barrel's fault.

Use a decent bullet and decent lube, and you'll have good results with the stock barrel.

I will add that cast bullets (soft and hard) are all I shoot out of my stock G21 barrel. Accuracy is excellent, and I rarely bother to clean it. Of course, I'm not using LLA for lube either.

Thanks for your views. I'll have to make do with what I have at the moment bullet and lube wise. I'll keep the velocity lower and treat the barrel with Froglube this weekend in the 100degree Ga. heat we're expecting to season it good to help keep the lead from sticking in the bore as much.
Froglube is great stuff to clean and season a bore.

Yondering
06-29-2012, 18:06
Just a thought, since it doesn't sound like you're set up with a luber sizer; are you familiar with pan lubing? Another $20 Lee mold with a conventional lube groove, and $5 of decent lube, will get you much better results.