Can't pull slide back empty round in chamberon M&P .40 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Can't pull slide back empty round in chamberon M&P .40

gtoguy
06-28-2012, 19:56
OK just got back from the range today and experienced a problem. I have about 300 rounds through my M&P .40.
Loaded my weapon and after two rounds gun locked up.Slide did eject on second round. Could not rack slide but was able to push slide forward as slide did not close fully. I can only retract slide a quarter inch or so. Any ideas on how to fix this? I pushed slide against range table but got no movement. Any way to get slide off gun? I drove the pin out next to the take down lever but can't get lever out more than an 1/8 inch.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Ron

hogship
06-28-2012, 20:40
OK just got back from the range today and experienced a problem. I have about 300 rounds through my M&P .40.
Loaded my weapon and after two rounds gun locked up.Slide did eject on second round. Could not rack slide but was able to push slide forward as slide did not close fully. I can only retract slide a quarter inch or so. Any ideas on how to fix this? I pushed slide against range table but got no movement. Any way to get slide off gun? I drove the pin out next to the take down lever but can't get lever out more than an 1/8 inch.
Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks
Ron

It might be the empty case is stuck in the chamber. Could be something mechanical with the pistol, too.......but, assuming it's a stuck case, you might want to try soaking both ends of the case with some penetrating oil overnight, and see if that loosens it up.........

ooc

ithaca_deerslayer
06-28-2012, 20:44
Don't know but at range once and saw a guy lock his m&p 9 compact up tight. Don't think bullet was in there, maybe an empty. Slide would not open at all.

Never saw the guy again.

ghawk249
06-28-2012, 20:55
I have had this problem from time to time with badly sized brass. Grab the slide with with your left hand very tightly. With your right hand push forward on the frame sharply and forcefully. if this does not work the recoil spring may have become dislodged. hope this helps.

gocubs6
06-28-2012, 21:46
I have had this happen in a Glock 26 w/ a snap cap. Now, I'm not sure if you can do this w/ the M&P because you have to lock the slide back to move the take down lever. But. w/ the Glock, I could only move it just a little bit back, but that was enough for me to engage the takedown tabs. Then, you'd have to force the slide off the frame and pop the snap cap out w/ a cleaning rod. This occurred when the snap cap (a zoom) got out of spec. The weird thing is that on the XDM, CZ P01, 226, etc. I had no issues w/ that particular snap cap.

If you are sure it is a case, can you push the slide back as far as you can and try to loosen it up w/ a cleaning rod? If you get the magazine out of the gun, you might be able to pop it out and down the handle.

gtoguy
06-29-2012, 06:46
I have had this happen in a Glock 26 w/ a snap cap. Now, I'm not sure if you can do this w/ the M&P because you have to lock the slide back to move the take down lever. But. w/ the Glock, I could only move it just a little bit back, but that was enough for me to engage the takedown tabs. Then, you'd have to force the slide off the frame and pop the snap cap out w/ a cleaning rod. This occurred when the snap cap (a zoom) got out of spec. The weird thing is that on the XDM, CZ P01, 226, etc. I had no issues w/ that particular snap cap.

If you are sure it is a case, can you push the slide back as far as you can and try to loosen it up w/ a cleaning rod? If you get the magazine out of the gun, you might be able to pop it out and down the handle.

Mag is out. Empty case in chamber. When you pull slide back it feels like it is hitting something solid. Can't push down slide release

m2hmghb
06-29-2012, 06:59
Mag is out. Empty case in chamber. When you pull slide back it feels like it is hitting something solid. Can't push down slide release

Get a wooden dowel a little smaller then the bore diameter then check to make sure it is not a live round. After doing this bottom the dowel into the case and gently tap the dowel with a hammer. Sometimes this will unstick the case and allow you to remove the case.

gtoguy
06-29-2012, 07:20
Get a wooden dowel a little smaller then the bore diameter then check to make sure it is not a live round. After doing this bottom the dowel into the case and gently tap the dowel with a hammer. Sometimes this will unstick the case and allow you to remove the case.

You are the man !!!! That worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice and the help:wavey:
FYI after case came out I noticed it had split slightly and the mouth. This was Tula ammo and I have had no problems with them prior.

WoodenPlank
06-29-2012, 07:39
You are the man !!!! That worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice and the help:wavey:
FYI after case came out I noticed it had split slightly and the mouth. This was Tula ammo and I have had no problems with them prior.

I've seen case mouth failures with both Wolf and Tula ammo. It doesn't surprise me at all.

blastfact
06-29-2012, 19:43
If you had been shooting much of the crap ammo. It will leave a thin film of the sealant used on the steel case in the chamber. Then have a split case and a bit of super heated gas fused the case to the chamber via the sealant.

21/4life
06-30-2012, 18:27
A friend's M&P 40 did the same thing on his first magazine out of the box. Our local shop sent it back SW after 8 weeks he got it back. Unfortunatly it left a bad taste in his mouth. He put on consignment the day he got it back. I still got my M&P 45 and never had a problem with it.