Strange series of shots . . . [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Strange series of shots . . .

Limedust
06-28-2012, 21:31
Took third range trip today; saw definite progress (after plenty of dry fire practice and simply getting used to drawing and sighting) even through most of my 100 rounds today. On the last twenty, though, an oddity:

Fired at one small silhouette slightly to my left. 10 shots, about 5 inch group ( I know, sad . . .).

Loaded new mag and fired at same type of target, same height and distance, to the right. Missed the target on 6/10 shots . . . I mean missed completely.

Angles were probably around 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock respectively. Anyone have an idea of what happened? Dominant eye issue? Did I have a damn stroke and didn't know it? Utterly confused.

All shots were fired from ten yards.

Mas Ayoob
06-29-2012, 19:05
Without being there to watch you shoot, I can't really diagnose, but I can offer a couple of possible suggestions. And, by the way, don't beat yourself up over one bad target: a five inch group at ten yards is pretty darn good for your third time at the range!

-- You describe yourself shooting one target on one side, the other on the other. I don't know how far apart they were and what the lighting conditions were, but the sun hitting the sights at different angles can change how the eye sees the sight picture. That could account for it.

-- A good target can make you overconfident, perhaps causing you to lose focus and go too fast on the next one, causing you to get sloppy on fundamentals. That happened to me first quarter this year, in a state championship I absolutely tanked when I became overconfident and went "auto pilot."

Stay with it, bro, and keep an analytical eye. It never hurts to have a video going when you shoot, so you can analyze yourself carefully in slow-mo and freeze frame afterwards. Feel free to keep us here at GT up to date on your progress.

Wishing you good shooting,
Mas