What other "tax" applies to NOT doing something? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What other "tax" applies to NOT doing something?

cowboy1964
06-29-2012, 09:50
I can't think of any other example of a "tax" that is levied for NOT doing something rather than doing something.

It's like saying you have to pay $1000 sales tax every year if you DON'T buy anything.

Did Roberts explain this in his decision?

Guss
06-29-2012, 09:58
How many wars did you choose to buy?

JBnTX
06-29-2012, 10:06
But, but daddy Obama said it's not a new tax?
He said the last thing we need in a bad economy is a new tax?

I'm really confused now.

Dexters
06-29-2012, 10:31
Try this one on for size.

Remember Cash for Clunkers - Tax break for trading in you old car & buying a new one? This was to help the auto industry.

Change it to - if you have a 10 year old car you pay a tax. If the car is less then 10 y/o you don't. This will help the auto industry.

lancesorbenson
06-29-2012, 10:38
How about NOT filing an income tax return? Or, if self-employed, NOT filing your quarterlies? Roberts' "game of chess" just extends the power to tax to its logical conclusion.

Ian Moone
06-29-2012, 11:19
On the horizon for 2013:

Excise tax on every vehicle you own that is not a Chevy Volt.

Addl. fuel tax on gasoline not made from algae.

New tax on energy consumption to fund more solar panel joint ventures.

LoadToadBoss
06-29-2012, 19:20
Married people who chose to keep their financial lives separate will pay significantly higher taxes than those who file jointly.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Gary W Trott
06-30-2012, 00:03
I can't think of any other example of a "tax" that is levied for NOT doing something rather than doing something.
Property tax. Buildings and land just sit there doing nothing.

Dexters
06-30-2012, 08:10
Property tax. Buildings and land just sit there doing nothing.

Until they catch fire.

W420Hunter
06-30-2012, 08:19
How about NOT filing an income tax return? Or, if self-employed, NOT filing your quarterlies? Roberts' "game of chess" just extends the power to tax to its logical conclusion.

Your examples are not apt. If you do not do the things you listed you get fined you do not get hit with a tax. The idea that this is a tax is bull****. Calling this a tax is like calling a speeding ticket a tax.

Ruble Noon
06-30-2012, 08:32
Your examples are not apt. If you do not do the things you listed you get fined you do not get hit with a tax. The idea that this is a tax is bull****. Calling this a tax is like calling a speeding ticket a tax.

Calling this a tax is like getting a speeding ticket while your car sits idle in your driveway.

W420Hunter
06-30-2012, 08:49
Calling this a tax is like getting a speeding ticket while your car sits idle in your driveway.

I like yours better lol. My point is you do not call it a tax when your being penalized.

Mister_Beefy
06-30-2012, 09:10

well, you could be drunk and fall asleep in the drivers seat of your car, never having started the vehicle nor moved it an inch, and they'll still prosecute you for drunk driving.

we're sliding on the slippery slope now, and the government will continue to grab power and legislate our lives.

Ruble Noon
06-30-2012, 09:13
well, you could be drunk and fall asleep in the drivers seat of your car, never having started the vehicle nor moved it an inch, and they'll still prosecute you for drunk driving.

we're sliding on the slippery slope now, and the government will continue to grab power and legislate our lives.

That is all true.

CitizenOfDreams
06-30-2012, 10:14
Back in the good old USSR, we had a 6% tax for people who had no children.

JFrame
06-30-2012, 10:16

I guess Obama is trying to compete with the USSR...

Cavalry Doc
06-30-2012, 12:21

Not a lot different than the child tax credit.

jakebrake
06-30-2012, 12:50
Until they catch fire.

capitol gains tax for the insurance payout?