Ken Cuccinelli, on second thought, likes Supreme Court health-care decision [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ken Cuccinelli, on second thought, likes Supreme Court health-care decision

GWSHARK
06-29-2012, 10:26
“This is a dark day for the American people, the Constitution, and the rule of law,” Cuccinelli said in the release. “This is a dark day for American liberty.”

By the time he held a news conference an hour and 45 minutes later, Cuccinelli had different take: “It’s mostly sunny.” (http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/virginia-politics/post/ken-cuccinelli-on-second-thought-likes-supreme-court-health-care-decision/2012/06/28/gJQA2kVX9V_blog.html?wprss=rss_local)

JFrame
06-29-2012, 11:04
Interesting -- I only caught the first reaction by Cooch.

Thanks for posting... :wavey:

CAcop
06-29-2012, 11:36
That is the second time someone has mentioned this a boost for states rights. I think the Medicare portion of the ruling will have huge implications later on. Federal funding has been a huge hammer in the past. It is what it took to put a consent decree on the LAPD.

JFrame
06-29-2012, 11:40
That is the second time someone has mentioned this a boost for states rights. I think the Medicare portion of the ruling will have huge implications later on. Federal funding has been a huge hammer in the past. It is what it took to put a consent decree on the LAPD.

As you probably know, Cooch has been among the stalwarts in taking the legal fight to the FedGov on Obamacare. His opinions at least merit some consideration.

muscogee
06-29-2012, 12:48
Since 1958 Conservatives have been complaining about activists judges abusing the Interstate Commerce Clause to end run Congress and the President to circumvent the will of the electorate. True conservatives should be dancing in the streets over the Roberts decision because he shot the use of the Interstate Commerce Clause to justify overturning the will of the electorate in the head. Has anyone but me noticed that by declaring the mandate to buy health insurance a tax, he has prevented the the government from taxing healthcare premiums as some have suggested? Since healthcare premiums are a tax, you can't tax a tax. That would be double taxation. This means individuals woo buy their own healthcare should be able to deduct healthcare premiums the same way they do state and local taxes and in the same way big businesses do.

CAcop
06-29-2012, 13:42
Since 1958 Conservatives have been complaining about activists judges abusing the Interstate Commerce Clause to end run Congress and the President to circumvent the will of the electorate. True conservatives should be dancing in the streets over the Roberts decision because he shot the use of the Interstate Commerce Clause to justify overturning the will of the electorate in the head. Has anyone but me noticed that by declaring the mandate to buy health insurance a tax, he has prevented the the government from taxing healthcare premiums as some have suggested? Since healthcare premiums are a tax, you can't tax a tax. That would be double taxation. This means individuals woo buy their own healthcare should be able to deduct healthcare premiums the same way they do state and local taxes and in the same way big businesses do.

That would be nice because I am almost certain come 2014 my city is going to drop our health insurance and we are either going to have to pay it ourselves or the tax unless somehow Republicans take both houses (not too likely) and the presidency (possible).

whoflungdo
06-29-2012, 13:46
That would be nice because I am almost certain come 2014 my city is going to drop our health insurance and we are either going to have to pay it ourselves or the tax unless somehow Republicans take both houses (not too likely) and the presidency (possible).

All they need is to get to 50 in the Senate, keep the House, and win the Presidency...

They won't have the 60 votes to stop filibusters, but the Democrats would have to do some compromising to get any of their legislation off the ground...

evlbruce
06-29-2012, 13:48
Of course he does. No one wants to admit they lost in a spectacular fashion. But hey, if a super-secret victory is what it takes to get through the day who am I to judge.

ObamaCare is here to stay.

cowboywannabe
06-29-2012, 14:37
according to obama its not a tax, its a penalty you must pay over and over until you get in line and pay the lower priced penalty.