Vp-70 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Vp-70

deadmanglocking
06-29-2012, 11:27
What do you guys think about the VP-70. I have one coming to me as part of an collection I will inherit. Never shot it but sounds like it could be a fun range toy.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Berto
06-29-2012, 11:33
Heavy trigger, really fun with accessory stock. One of the REAL first polymer pistols.

WoodenPlank
06-29-2012, 11:41
Heavy trigger, really fun with accessory stock. One of the REAL first polymer pistols.

I'm assuming it's the Z model, not the M model.

In that case, they are interesting from a historical aspect, but not something I would own as a range or CCW gun.

countrygun
06-29-2012, 11:41
IME one of the "Least fun" (due to the trigger) "range guns" ever. I wouldn't mind having one to keep Glock fanboys honest though:supergrin:

I would call it a "novelty" today.

deadmanglocking
06-29-2012, 12:58
If it was the M model would it be legal to own as a non NFA if you didn't posses the stock? From my understanding you have to connect the stock to change the trigger group to burst capable. BTW it is the Z model not M

ronin.45
06-29-2012, 13:34
All of these guys are correct. Trigger is garbage, but a neat gun.

fnfalman
06-29-2012, 14:25
The plastic is super cheesy. I bought one brand new for $300 back in the days at one of the pawn shops outside Ft. Campbell. Then sold it to another guy for $400 and used the fund to buy a Gen 1 Glock 17.

deadmanglocking
06-29-2012, 15:43
I never intended to rely on this gun accept for a rec shooter. It is part of a 40 gun collection I am going to inherit and I was just curious. If you attached a stock to it it would become a ? sbr? Maybe? Anyone know?

countrygun
06-29-2012, 15:46
I never intended to rely on this gun accept for a rec shooter. It is part of a 40 gun collection I am going to inherit and I was just curious. If you attached a stock to it it would become a ? sbr? Maybe? Anyone know?

If it were the proper model, and if you attached the factory stock it would then have a 3 rd burst capablity and be a classIII weapon.

deadmanglocking
06-29-2012, 15:50
If it were the proper model, and if you attached the factory stock it would then have a 3 rd burst capablity and be a classIII weapon.

If it was a model M yes that would be correct. The stock has a small pin that inserts into the trigger group to change it to burst. I was wondering in adding the stock would make it a sbr

countrygun
06-29-2012, 15:55
If it was a model M yes that would be correct. The stock has a small pin that inserts into the trigger group to change it to burst. I was wondering in adding the stock would make it a sbr

The Feds are funny about that. AFAIK you can SBR a rifle with proper paperwork but unless it is a proper antique, they have a "thing" about attaching a stock to a pistol.

CJStudent
06-29-2012, 18:39
The Feds are funny about that. AFAIK you can SBR a rifle with proper paperwork but unless it is a proper antique, they have a "thing" about attaching a stock to a pistol.

That thing, last time I checked, was making it into an SBR. Same paperwork and process.

bac1023
06-29-2012, 19:04
I wouldn't mind owning one as a collector's item. That's about it though.

deadmanglocking
06-29-2012, 19:05
Well how much you want to spend?

chemcmndr
06-29-2012, 22:53

Attaching a stock to a handgun would be making an SBR. One rare exception would be some C&R guns like the Lugers that were issued with stocks, but they must be original stocks with the pistol, and not current reproductions.

SBRing a pistol is perfectly legal as long as you follow the correct procedures. I've turned two H&K MP5 clone pistols into SBR's. (while we're on the subject of H&K)

bigchuck83
06-29-2012, 23:13
i've been wanting a vp70z just for fun. and to annoy all the people i know that say glock was first. saw one at the last gunshow i attened for 550 with box and three mags.

Sniperfox
06-30-2012, 06:07
I had one back in the 80s and they had this reputation. If you had to throw a gun off of a mountain to your buddy down below, throw a VP70Z. It will survive the fall and fire everytime. LOL

Finding mags can be a pain these days though.

Caladan
07-01-2012, 21:48
They are fun to shoot, but only if you don't mind a heavy trigger pull. And I don't mean heavy. I mean heavy! My electronic trigger gauge won't even measure it. I think it's probably about 16-18 lbs. The sights are rather unusual as well, and don't work well in dim light. It is the only centerfire semi-auto that I"ve ever seen with a crossbolt safety.

Other than that, it is extremely reliable and accurate. Stiff recoil spring though, which it should be since it's a blowback action.

Jim Watson
07-01-2012, 21:52
NRA test reported that one way they made it run in blowback was cutting the rifling so deep as to allow significant windage (the old cannoneer's term, not deflection in aim) and bring down the pressure. And velocity, too, of course. They were getting under 1000 fps with 9mm hardball.

Strictly a novelty item these days.

My condolences on whoever passed that you are inheriting it and others from.

countrygun
07-01-2012, 21:54
Attaching a stock to a handgun would be making an SBR. One rare exception would be some C&R guns like the Lugers that were issued with stocks, but they must be original stocks with the pistol, and not current reproductions.

SBRing a pistol is perfectly legal as long as you follow the correct procedures. I've turned two H&K MP5 clone pistols into SBR's. (while we're on the subject of H&K)

That's good to know, when I checked into it a few years ago the ATF drone I talked to said "no way, if it is a detachable stock that fits on a pistol unless it is one of the antiques" that you mentioned.

I was looking at doing it with a long barreled Ruger MKI as a trail gun.

CAcop
07-01-2012, 22:30
I know a narc who carried one back in the 80s. I think he was able to get it past his management because it had such a heavy trigger pull.

deadmanglocking
07-02-2012, 10:38
Thanks for the info everyone.

WiskyT
07-02-2012, 17:41
I wouldn't mind owning one as a collector's item. That's about it though.

I thought you had one? You'd better go check the back of your safe. One of us is slipping.:supergrin:

M2 Carbine
07-03-2012, 07:19
NRA test reported that one way they made it run in blowback was cutting the rifling so deep as to allow significant windage (the old cannoneer's term, not deflection in aim) and bring down the pressure. And velocity, too, of course. They were getting under 1000 fps with 9mm hardball.
This is true. I've had one for years.
First thing I noticed is the very deep cut rifling. I said no way there won't be a lot of blow-by, causing a (large) loss in velocity.

Offhand I don't remember the muzzle velocity but as I recall I thought of it as a hot .380.

I was going to use it as a car gun because of the 18 round mag capacity but I want a more powerful gun than a .380 as a car gun.

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x464/Bell-helicopter-407/VP70target-1.jpg

fnfalman
07-03-2012, 07:58
I've bought guns now that I never wanted before primarily just for the giggles effect (HK P7 PSP, Colt M1911, Makarov, Tokarev, et al), but the VP70 is the one gun that I do not ever want to own again, not even for giggles. Other than the fact that it was the first plastic framed pistol, there's really no redeeming quality in that gun.

drizzle
07-03-2012, 10:06
I've got one I got with four mags for a decent price. The trigger is a looong DA, but if you pay attention to the break point and use the strange front sight properly (think two mirrored risers with a valley in the middle) it shoots pretty well.

As I understood them, both the Z and M models were to be issued to the German Home Guard/Resistance if the Russians rolled through the Fulda Gap back in the day. They wanted something with a big capacity, so you'd only get issued one mag, a long pull so there were less ND's by inexperienced housefraus pressed into service as Panzergrenadiers, and a crossbolt safety because it was simple, same as the straight blowback action.

I like to shoot it once in a while, can't imagine carrying it, though. It's time and a half bigger than a Beretta 92.