Would this be legal? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Would this be legal?

dannym
06-29-2012, 13:43
If I have a fully completed AR15 7.5" pistol and a fully completed 16" AR15 rifle...... Can I purchase a 11.5" upper to swap out with my 7.5" upper on my pistol?

Or does the fact that I have a 16" rifle make possession of the 11.5" upper illegal?

bigmoney890
06-29-2012, 13:54
To be safe you should contact the ATF.

But common sense would dictate that since you already have a weapon with a 7.5" barrel and a weapon with a 16" barrel, you should be gtg. But then again the ATF does a lot of stuff that goes against common sense.

Gunnut 45/454
06-29-2012, 14:26
Ah common sense would say you have the capability to have "TWO" NAF weapons! So ou'd have to have two stamps! Call ATF and get an answer in writting! :supergrin:

CAR-AR-M16
06-29-2012, 14:47
Ah common sense would say you have the capability to have "TWO" NAF weapons! So ou'd have to have two stamps! Call ATF and get an answer in writting! :supergrin:

The problem is that you cannot call ATF and get an answer in writing. You would have to write to ATF and when you get your answer in writing from them (about 1-2 years later) it will be worded so vaguely that you really won't know the answer.

Spiffums
06-29-2012, 16:09
The problem is that you cannot call ATF and get an answer in writing. You would have to write to ATF and when you get your answer in writing from them (about 1-2 years later) it will be worded so vaguely that you really won't know the answer.

Kinda like an official maybe.

mobilecommand
06-29-2012, 17:19
Hello,

You can have multiple uppers for one lower.. If you where to ever attach the 11.5 in upper to a lower with a stock it was not a registered NFA lower you would be in some trouble if caught..

Also i assume your pistol lower was registered as a pistol lower ? If it was not or it ever had a rifle stock on it that it also a no no.

mac66
06-29-2012, 18:44
Holy moly you guys think too much. Yes, having another barreled upper for your pistol is legal.

uptomyneck
06-29-2012, 19:33
ATF has already ruled on this in the past. You can have 20 uppers for your pistol lower if you'd like.

samurairabbi
06-29-2012, 19:45
Holy moly you guys think too much. Yes, having another barreled upper for your pistol is legal.
It is possible to overthink, but then, it is also possible to come up with something that the government may object to.

One possible circumstance: If the 11.5" barrel has a 4.5" extension PERMANENTLY attached to it, then the "pistol" barrel MAY be considered a "rifle" barrel, which can make switching uppers some sort of "transition" between pistol and rifle classifications. Perhaps a longshot, but at least worth presenting.

mobilecommand
06-29-2012, 20:12
you crack me up lol

http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Batman-Joker-Revolver.jpg

bigmoney890
06-29-2012, 20:13
Better to be safe than sorry

mobilecommand
06-29-2012, 20:21
The legal difference between a pistol and a rifle is the buttstock..

you can put the 30ft barrel on it and it and it does not matter.. Once you hit the 16 inch minimum on a perm attached flash hider it can be attached to either lower.

samurairabbi
06-29-2012, 20:31
The legal difference between a pistol and a rifle is the buttstock..

Do bullpup-style rifles complicate the classification situation?

Jer
06-29-2012, 22:58
If I have a fully completed AR15 7.5" pistol and a fully completed 16" AR15 rifle...... Can I purchase a 11.5" upper to swap out with my 7.5" upper on my pistol?

Or does the fact that I have a 16" rifle make possession of the 11.5" upper illegal?

So long as you OWN a lower legal for hosting an shorter upper (SBR or pistol) then you cannot get in trouble for 'intent' since you have a legal host for as many uppers as you want. Now, I wouldn't get caught w/o that pistol lower, with a non-SBR'd lower and one of your shorty uppers though as that could get dicey.

javelinadave
06-29-2012, 23:01
If an 11" barrel falls in the woods........

Lotiki
06-29-2012, 23:10
If an 11" barrel falls in the woods........

While it may not be your intent here, it really seems like you are suggesting as long as nobody sees him, it is ok to break federal firearms laws by joining certain parts together.....

javelinadave
06-29-2012, 23:47
While it may not be your intent here, it really seems like you are suggesting as long as nobody sees him, it is ok to break federal firearms laws by joining certain parts together.....

Not in the least bit, everybody is being a bit cerebral. I was referring to the age old question that if a tree falls in the woods and nobody is there does it make a sound?

As for my opinion to the OP's question, it is legal to own multiple uppers for a single SBR lower or a pistol lower.