Response letter from Senator [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Response letter from Senator

Sendarr
06-29-2012, 17:04
I liked this response.

Dear Mr. name-removed,

Thank you for writing me regarding Second Amendment rights. I understand this is an important issue and I appreciate hearing your thoughts.

The Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution states that "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." I hold the fundamental belief the Second Amendment should not be altered. To that end, I have cosponsored Senator John Thune of South Dakota's legislation, S. 2213 "A bill to allow reciprocity for the carrying of certain concealed firearms." I believe this is commonsense legislation that will protect gun owners. Please know I will fight to ensure the right of the people to keep and bear arms remains intact.

It is an honor and a privilege to serve you as your United States Senator. I appreciate you offering your opinion on this issue. If I can ever be of any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Marco Rubio
United States Senator

I've yet to receive a response from Bill Nelson. Nor have I received a response from my U.S. representative about Holders contempt vote, though that is already done :cool: Just though I'd share.

Sendarr
07-02-2012, 11:04
So Bill Nelson finally responded lol.

Dear Mr. name-removed:

Thank you for contacting me regarding the recent proposal to require each State to honor concealed weapon permits issued by other States.

I support the constitutional right to bear arms. I grew up on a ranch in the Florida countryside and have been a hunter since I was a boy.

As for the legislation on concealed weapon permits, I believe that each State should be free to decide whether to recognize another State’s permit. The Federal government shouldn’t force a State with tougher permit requirements--attendance at a gun safety course, for example--to honor permits from States with less stringent requirements. Those decisions are best left to the States.

You can be sure that I will keep your thoughts in mind whenever firearms issues are considered by the Senate. I appreciate your letter. Your communications helps me serve you better.

Sincerely,
Bill Nelson

Pretty much what I expected, though the part about being a hunter is rich.

wjv
07-02-2012, 11:27
At least he didn't refer you to www.bradycenter.org/

Guss
07-02-2012, 11:34
It's a state's rights issue more than a second amendment issue. Such reciprocity as Rubio wants would drive things down to the lowest standard and would most likely be unconstitutional.

States can, and do, establish reciprocal rights with states that have standards similar to their own. When the other state's standards are sub-standard, there is no reason to compel a state to lower their standard.

JFrame
07-02-2012, 11:37
The unequivocal declaratives of the first response, versus the tip-toeing nuances of the second response, are certainly entertaining to note... :cool:

Guss
07-02-2012, 11:42
The unequivocal declaratives of the first response, versus the tip-toeing nuances of the second response, are certainly entertaining to note... :cool:

What part of Nelson's response were you unclear on. He positively states his support of the second amendment and positively asserts states' rights. He also indicates a personal familiarity with firearms.

JFrame
07-02-2012, 11:49
What part of Nelson's response were you unclear on. He positively states his support of the second amendment and positively asserts states' rights. He also indicates a personal familiarity with firearms.

-- His need to equate gun-ownership with the role of hunting.

-- His convenient reliance on states' rights in one of the few instances in which the Constitution was clear on every individual citizen's right.

Guss
07-02-2012, 12:20
-- His need to equate gun-ownership with the role of hunting.

-- His convenient reliance on states' rights in one of the few instances in which the Constitution was clear on every individual citizen's right.

Well I suppose he might also have mentioned that he was a Captain in the Army, but I think most people know that you don't mess with country-folk with guns.

There is no indication that the second amendment trumps the states' ability to control their "well-regulated militia". We see this evidenced by the variety of different state laws that have not been shown to be unconstitutional.

eracer
07-02-2012, 12:21
I used to support a national right-to-carry law. Then I thought about what that really meant.

If we're going to restrict the right to carry at all, I don't want the Feds to define 'less restrictive'.

wjv
07-02-2012, 12:24
I used to support a national right-to-carry law. Then I thought about what that really meant.

If we're going to restrict the right to carry at all, I don't want the Feds to define 'less restrictive'.

:thumbsup:

Good News - Federal Reciprocity laws.

Bad News - Minimum standards set for all State CCW permits now = those used in NYC. . . .

JFrame
07-02-2012, 12:28
Well I suppose he might also have mentioned that he was a Captain in the Army, but I think most people know that you don't mess with country-folk with guns.

There is no indication that the second amendment trumps the states' ability to control their "well-regulated militia". We see this evidenced by the variety of different state laws that have not been shown to be unconstitutional.

Really, I don't see this as the basis of a very emotional argument on my part (nor yours, I gather) -- but I would encourage you to read the two letters and tell me if you don't see an inherent philosophical difference in the forcefulness and enthusiasm with which the issue is addressed and conveyed.

As far as that "well-regulated militia" goes -- well, that's just treading into the old slippery slope (e.g., does that mean you can theoretically own a gun, but it has to be locked at the local armory and can only be issued to you in the time of a state-mandated emergency?). Really -- I wasn't even going there.

As far as Nelson having been a captain in the Army -- my thanks for his service, but that also has no relevance to what sort of a statist he might or might not be. John Kerry was in the army also, and I certainly wouldn't trust him to ensure my 2A rights.

HexHead
07-02-2012, 12:32
:thumbsup:

Good News - Federal Reciprocity laws.

Bad News - Minimum standards set for all State CCW permits now = those used in NYC. . . .

Nonsense. It should fall under full faith and credit provisions just like drivers licenses. You don't see the federal government having minimum standard drivers license requirements. Just that one state has to recognize another state's drivers license.

Goaltender66
07-02-2012, 12:37
Interesting how lefties become all about state's rights when carry reciprocity is concerned.

aircarver
07-02-2012, 12:38
... John Kerry was in the army also, and I certainly wouldn't trust him to ensure my 2A rights.

Navy swift boats

JFrame
07-02-2012, 12:39
Interesting how lefties become all about state's rights when carry reciprocity is concerned.

That's what I was thinking...

4Baldy
07-02-2012, 12:41
The states have no "regulated militia" anymore as the Government took control and came up with the National Guard. The NG was started in 1903 under the Militia Act.

JFrame
07-02-2012, 12:43
Navy swift boats

Ooops...Military... :embarassed:

Gundude
07-02-2012, 13:33
Nonsense. It should fall under full faith and credit provisions just like drivers licenses. You don't see the federal government having minimum standard drivers license requirements. Just that one state has to recognize another state's drivers license.Federal involvement in CCW is an absolutely horrible idea. We've made so much progress in CCW in the past quarter century precisely because the feds stayed out of it.

Saying what it "should" fall under is a pipe dream. Nothing ever goes as it should once the fed is involved. It is, in reality, the most dangerous thing that can possibly happen to CCW rights.

mj9mm
07-02-2012, 14:04
maybe we should ask Chief Justice Roberts to weigh in on this topic:rofl: