Preferred Barrel Length for 308? 22" or 24" [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Barrel Length for 308? 22" or 24"

glockbanger
06-29-2012, 21:24
Looking to buy a new rifle, can't decide between these two barrel lengths.

How much velocity difference will it make, and is it enough to go with a longer barrel?

How much difference does a shorter barrel make in maneuverability and balance?

hogship
06-29-2012, 21:33
About 100 fps, or so.........not that much of a difference.

The people who prefer one over the other determine the market for the two lengths. Some like the shorter length because it carries better. Some like the longer length, because it's slightly flatter shooting with a tad more velocity. If I hunted where the brush is less and longer shots a prospect......I'd probably go the longer barrel. On the other hand, if intended to hunt in thicker cover, and shorter shots were the more likely, I'd probably go the shorter barrel.......

I have both........

ooc

countrygun
06-29-2012, 21:34
Ishoot a 16" SOCOM, an 18" Remington 600 (My "go to" hunting rifle) and a 24" Ruger 77. Nothing I have shot with the Remington has run away laughing at me. Between a 22" & 24" I'd pick the one that felt best to me and not sweat a few FPS. If they make a difference you were taking the wrong shot with the wrong gun.

Jim Watson
06-29-2012, 22:22
I would look at other characteristics and features before I got concerned over 2" of barrel length. Price, reputation for quality and accuracy, stock fit, available accessories, etc.

glockbanger
06-29-2012, 22:35
I would look at other characteristics and features before I got concerned over 2" of barrel length. Price, reputation for quality and accuracy, stock fit, available accessories, etc.

I have, it's between the howa 1500 22" and the weatherby vanguard 24". So basically same gun too.

NeverMore1701
06-29-2012, 22:38
I'd go with the 22", but then again my rifles are 26", so....

K.Kiser
06-30-2012, 07:31
Some calibers the difference could be 30 fps, but in a .308 it will likely be between 15-20 fps... The big magnums that have a ton of powder to burn will suffer the most but the .308 is very efficient with it's modest powder load and does well from a shorter barrel..

3rdgen40
06-30-2012, 11:06
I like shorter,heavier barrels.Less vibration,less bullet travel in barrel = better accuracy.The slight difference in velocity doesn't matter to me.

HAIL CAESAR
06-30-2012, 12:09
For general shooting and hunting under 600 yards I prefer a 18 inch barrel.

Brian Lee
06-30-2012, 13:00
I like shorter,heavier barrels.Less vibration,less bullet travel in barrel = better accuracy.The slight difference in velocity doesn't matter to me.

I think this is more and more becoming the attitude of long range hunters and target shooters.

The long barrel=Max velocity="What I Want" is a good attitude for varmint shooting & varmint guns, where you may be taking shots rapidly, you don't have time between shots to work up all that trajectory & wind compensation stuff, and you just want to treat the gun like a laser, knowing that if you aim right at anything within 400 yards, you'll hit somewhere within 2 inches high or low of that point - and when the ground hog explodes it'll look about the same either way.

If you want to shoot like a military sniper & you have the tools to do it that way, the shorter barrel has the potential to be more accurate and let you take "ethical" 600 yard shots that cannot be done with any sort of certainty when shooting "varmint style".

There's a big difference in those two ways of shooting when you are going after live animals and are trying very hard to only do quick, one shot kills........ So the answer is: I'd make my decision based on which kind of hunting I'm going to do with the gun..

If you just mean to take short range shots off hand, and are thinking mainly about lugging the thing around, then the short one, for sure. Short length reduce the need for a barrel to be so thick & heavy in order to be stiff.

K.Kiser
06-30-2012, 13:37
For what it's worth, my family shoots long range competion a few different classes and the absolute most accurate out-o-the-box rifle we have ever shot or seen was a 22" .308... I typically don't go to a 24" barrel until the -'06 family cartridges or magnums..