PDA

View Full Version : AR 10 vs. PTR-91

jhoagland
06-30-2012, 02:53
Which is the better rifle? Why?
Thanks.

1gewehr
06-30-2012, 07:35
Better for WHAT? Which model AR-10? Which model PTR-91?

In general, the basic models of the new AR-10s made in Illinois have pretty good triggers compared to the basic models of the PTR-91.

As an individual weapon, I would not feel badly armed with either an Armalite AR-10A2 or the PTR G.I. Choose the one you like.

uptomyneck
06-30-2012, 07:59
I own and shoot both. If I had to narrow it down to one, I'd take the Armalite. It was sub-MOA out the box.

Spiffums
06-30-2012, 08:59
AR10 if you want a "sniper rifle" and PTR-91 if you want a general purpose all around rifle.

AZ Jeff
06-30-2012, 09:07
The AR10 will be better in most practical ways:
1. better, more user friendly iron sights
2. easier/cheaper to add optical sight
3. lower recoil
4. better trigger
5. better ergonomics on the controls

The PT91/G3/HK91 will have two advantages
1. cheaper magazines
2. easier to clean (slightly)

Decguns
06-30-2012, 09:45
For a target rifle, the AR-10 is superior. For a battle rifle, the AR-10 is superior. Both platforms are superbly accurate. What hampers the HK is the horrendous trigger pull. Long, gritty and heavy. The AR-10 ergonomics are excellent and the rifle is well balanced. The HK is heavy... very front-end heavy. I prefer the HK's left hand charging handle to the AR's, but both allow you to maintain your firing hand grip. The AR wins in the ergonimcs department.

Sights are on par with each other. The AR-10 has a plethera of good scoping options while the HK is limited to either high sitting claw or clamshell mounts... or screw-clamp, low sitting mounts for the MP5 (which I prefer). The HK will eat just about any ammo you'll feed it. It's not picky. But the HK's fluted chamber essentially ruins brass, and the rifle tends to bounce empties off the side of the receiver damaging them even more. The delayed roller block action delivers a rather snappy recoil impluse that tends to be rather rough on optics. The fluted chamber spews powder residue into the action. It's dirty. I tend to spray Hoppes #9 into the receiver and hose all the carbon out.

jhoagland
07-01-2012, 02:07
Thanks folks.
Looks like I'll think about trading my PTR in for an AR 10.