Carry question in NJ [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carry question in NJ

rpgman
06-30-2012, 10:13
I've read the following:
http://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

But can someone from NJ explain?

I'm coming from South Carolina and would like to stop at one of the hotels in New Jersey. Not just pass through the state.

I'll be carrying a handgun in the vehicle.

Am I allowed to do that? :dunno:

Green_Manelishi
06-30-2012, 10:31
I'd avoid NJ if at all possible.

maniDAR
06-30-2012, 10:43
Here is what the NRA says about New Jersey.
New Jersey has highly restrictive firearms laws. The New Jersey Supreme Court has ruled that anyone traveling within the state is deemed to be aware of these regulations and will be held strictly accountable for violations. (End NRA Statement)

rpgman
06-30-2012, 10:45
Here is what the NRA says about New Jersey.
New Jersey has highly restrictive firearms laws. The New Jersey Supreme Court has ruled that anyone traveling within the state is deemed to be aware of these regulations and will be held strictly accountable for violations. (End NRA Statement)

yea read that also....

so....I guess that screws those plans.

NJ is so backwards

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 10:46
I've read the following:
http://handgunlaw.us/states/newjersey.pdf

But can someone from NJ explain?

I'm coming from South Carolina and would like to stop at one of the hotels in New Jersey. Not just pass through the state.

I'll be carrying a handgun in the vehicle.

Am I allowed to do that? :dunno:

The FOPA allows you to carry your gun in your car, as long as its storage meets the law's requirements, and pass through any city or state as you proceed to your destination as long as you can legal possess that firearm in your origination and destination locations.

This includes stops for food, fuel, and lodging but not for visiting, sight seeing, or shopping. I believe that you cannot remove your firearm from your car and take it into a motel or hotel in New Jersey as that would be seen to be not covered under the FOPA, i.e., you could be in trouble if you do this. There are a few states which have a history of ignoring the FOPA and outright violate it, figuring that you will be hassled and go to court. Maryland is one of these and I suspect New Jersey is as well. I may be better to leave your firearm at home. They are a bit backward up there so be careful.

rpgman
06-30-2012, 10:48
The FOPA allows you to carry your gun in your car, as long as its storage meets the law's requirements, and pass through any city or state as you proceed to your destination as long as you can legal possess that firearm in your origination and destination locations.

This includes stops for food, fuel, and lodging. However, I believe that you cannot remove your firearm from your car and take it into a motel or hotel in New Jersey as that would be seen to be not covered under the FOPA, i.e., you could be in trouble if you do this.

so what would be the storage requirements?

Green_Manelishi
06-30-2012, 10:51

Unless you NEED to pass through NJ, avoid it. Whether the charges are upheld or not you'll be very inconvenienced if the state of NJ decides to push.

maniDAR
06-30-2012, 10:54
Magazine limit for hand guns are 10 and it does not matter what state are you coming from you can not posses any high cap mags.

Be careful with that also.

and according to our Great State of NJ all the states issuing CCW permits are so backwards ....lol

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 10:54

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Basically, secure the unloaded gun in a case in your trunk, assuming you have one, and the ammunition in a separate secured place.

If you don't have to pass through Maryland and New Jersey, I would avoid those states. You're more than welcome to stop over in Virginia and spend your money. And we recognize your concealed carry permit here. If you don't have one, you may openly carry your sidearm if you wish. We have fewer restrictions than you are accustomed to in South Carolina (love your state, too), so do stop in Virginia and enjoy.

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 10:57
Unless you NEED to pass through NJ, avoid it. Whether the charges are upheld or not you'll be very inconvenienced if the state of NJ decides to push.

True. He'll win in the end, but it would be a hassle.

rpgman
06-30-2012, 10:58
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/926A

Basically, secure the unloaded gun in a case in your trunk, assuming you have one, and the ammunition in a separate secured place.

thanks, appreciate the responses.

guess we'll avoid NJ.......too much trouble....guess they don't need my dollars.

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 10:59
Magazine limit for hand guns are 10 and it does not matter what state are you coming from you can not posses any high cap mags.

and according to our Great State of NJ all the states issuing CCW permits are so backwards ....lol

This does not apply to a traveler under the FOPA. Same for expanding ammunition. As long as he is passing through and is abiding by the FOPA law, he is fine. This does not to say that New Jersey won't push the issue, but if stopped don't let them search your car. No warrant, no search.

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 11:03
thanks, appreciate the responses.

guess we'll avoid NJ.......too much trouble....guess they don't need my dollars.

Your money is more than welcome in my state as is your presence. After all, we're sister Southern states. I'll be visiting your fine state several times this year. I've been to Florence several times and love it, too.

rpgman
06-30-2012, 11:07
Your money is more than welcome in my state as is your presence. After all, we're sister Southern states. I'll be visiting your fine state several times this year. I've been to Florence several times and love it, too.

oh, I love VA.....
Great state.....

we'll be either stopping there or passing through.

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 11:24
oh, I love VA.....
Great state.....

we'll be either stopping there or passing through.

Yes, do stop for food if nothing else. You can carry into restaurants... even those which serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, concealed if you have a permit or open regardless of whether you have a permit or not. If you choose to do this, we ask that you do not imbibe when armed. This sends a negative message to others around you.

I love the low country in South Carolina and have been all up and down your coast from the top of the Grand Strand to Beaufort and Port Royal. Your low country has some of my favorite places in the U.S. In Virginia, the Piedmont is probably the nicest part of the state. We don't have a lot of ocean coast line and I am a water person. Virginia is a beautiful state.. the wife and I have a long lineage here (her's goes back to 1636).

Enjoy your trip and drive safe.

dvrdwn72
06-30-2012, 11:34
I can tell you as I am from NJ that "if" caught with a handgun in NJ you WILL be arrested reguardless of what federal law says. You will then need an attorney, go to court and have the charges dismissed or reduced. Now if your in possesion of hicap mags, well your screwed, if you have hollow points in your possesion, well thats a felony count for each round. When I go to jersey to visit family or friends I hit Pennsylvania. I stay at his house and leave my firearm there while I visit jersey.

Quiet
06-30-2012, 13:49
The Second Circuit Court of Appeals recently ruled that the FOPA [18 USC 926A] only provides protection when used as a defense at trial and did not protect you from being arrested & jailed for violating state gun laws, in particular possessing non-permitted firearms by non-residents while traveling through NJ & NY (case stemmed from arrest of non-permitted handgun in NY due to layover at airport).

SJ 40
06-30-2012, 15:03
I just avoid or drive around occupied states like the Plague their is nothing I need nor want in them. SJ 40

SouthernBoyVA
06-30-2012, 15:26
I can tell you as I am from NJ that "if" caught with a handgun in NJ you WILL be arrested reguardless of what federal law says. You will then need an attorney, go to court and have the charges dismissed or reduced. Now if your in possesion of hicap mags, well your screwed, if you have hollow points in your possesion, well thats a felony count for each round. When I go to jersey to visit family or friends I hit Pennsylvania. I stay at his house and leave my firearm there while I visit jersey.

That is really a shame. With a good attorney I would wager you'd win the case and have a nice little nest egg, at taxpayers' expense for your early retirement. I guess I just don't see how they can get away with this.

I have heard from a very reputable attorney in my state that Maryland is like this, too. On occasion they have "Nights Out" evenings in my town. This is a gathering of police from several different precincts who show their wares to the local folks and talk about their work. Police cars, highly trained dogs, etc. highlight the bill when they have these events. I have seen police cars from DC and I believe Maryland. Next time they have one of these in my area, maybe I should show up with my little friend on my side in full view just to stick it in their face (DC and Maryland, that is). They can't do a thing about it.

Now whether or not I would actually do this, I don't know. But I might feel like it knowing what I have learned. Our police cause us virtually no concern here. Let me give an example.

About three years ago, Old Town Manassas had its annual festival. This is very popular with food and crafts and a host of other things for people on a Saturday. I didn't know this was going to be taking place and was down there to meet some people for an open carry luncheon. After I found someplace to park my car, I saw an officer and went up to him to ask what was going on... my sidearm in full view. He answered my question and that was it.

Then around two years ago, there was a similar thing going on in Haymarket, a very small town west of Manassas. The main streets were blocked and once again I didn't know what was going on. I saw an occupied Haymarket police car and pulled my car up in front of his, then got out and walked to his driver's side, again with my little friend visible. He told me what was happening, we shared a few laughs, and I was on my way. No muss, no fuss.

Guess I'm just not use to police actions such as what apparently takes place in Maryland and New Jersey.

g23rob
06-30-2012, 16:02

+1 :supergrin:

dkf
06-30-2012, 21:09
Go through PA and avoid NJ. PA is a gun haven compared to the commie sates that surround it.(not including WV)

Quiet
07-01-2012, 05:19
That is really a shame. With a good attorney I would wager you'd win the case and have a nice little nest egg, at taxpayers' expense for your early retirement. I guess I just don't see how they can get away with this.

Because the Court system has told them it's legal.

People who have been arrested in NY & NJ transporting unregistered handguns through those states have gone to Court. Some of those cases have been appealed all the way up to the Federal Court of Appeals (Second Circuit Court of Appeals).

A few years back, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the FOPA is to be used as an affirmative defense to be used at trial and does not protect a non-prohibited person from being arrested, jailed & property confiscated for violating state laws.

Ergo, the Federal and state (NY/NJ) Courts have ruled those are all legal arrests and law enforcement in those states have done nothing wrong.

So until, SCOTUS decides on the matter, in the North-East USA, FOPA is an affirmative defense to be used at trial and does not protect you from arrest.

banger
07-01-2012, 05:32

The thread quoted above illustrates the danger of seeking advise over the internet.

Despite listing his place of residence as New Jersey, he is apparently ignorant of New Jersey law!

Simply to get everyone on the correct page, the magazine limit in New Jersey is 15 rounds.

Fifteen rounds regardless of what type of firearm the magazine is for.

Sooo, use caution when taking advise from strangers over the 'net.

There is much bad info available, despite good intentions.

The only exception to the 15 round rule is semi-auto shotguns, which are limited to six round magazines.

220-9er
07-01-2012, 09:30
Ironic that the states where a law abiding citizen would be most likely to need a handgun to protect themselves are the states most likely to deny that right.

Carrys
07-01-2012, 14:30
Ironic that the states where a.......... law abiding citizen would be most likely to need a handgun to protect themselves are the states most likely to deny that right.

Considering all things, it's my opinion that the reason one needs to carry in NJ.............. is that they can't, ya know?

crazi_e
07-02-2012, 06:48
The thread quoted above illustrates the danger of seeking advise over the internet.

Despite listing his place of residence as New Jersey, he is apparently ignorant of New Jersey law!

Simply to get everyone on the correct page, the magazine limit in New Jersey is 15 rounds.

Fifteen rounds regardless of what type of firearm the magazine is for.

Sooo, use caution when taking advise from strangers over the 'net.

There is much bad info available, despite good intentions.

The only exception to the 15 round rule is semi-auto shotguns, which are limited to six round magazines.
I was thinking the same thing

Sheepdog Scout
07-02-2012, 07:01
Being from Virginia and spending much of my life there. I've never seen or been in New Jersey.

I think I could smell it once though.

NJ gun laws:
The Never-ending Saga of Firearms Ownership in New Jersey - Full Hi-Res version - YouTube

Hedo1
07-02-2012, 07:21
Don't go through NJ ever. Even if you win in court they will tie your firearms up forever. Kiss them goodbye.

I won't even shoot matches in NJ for the same reasons. Just too difficult and annoying. They do seem to pursue law abiding folks on technicalities at an alarming rate.

JAS104
07-02-2012, 07:24
Seriously, NJ is the 1940's Berlin of gun rights.
Avoid that state at all costs. lol

fuzzy03cls
07-02-2012, 08:14
If you haven't gotten it yet... DO NOT bring a gun into NJ. Or mags or ammo.

SouthernBoyVA
07-03-2012, 15:48
Because the Court system has told them it's legal.

People who have been arrested in NY & NJ transporting unregistered handguns through those states have gone to Court. Some of those cases have been appealed all the way up to the Federal Court of Appeals (Second Circuit Court of Appeals).

A few years back, the Second Circuit Court of Appeals ruled that the FOPA is to be used as an affirmative defense to be used at trial and does not protect a non-prohibited person from being arrested, jailed & property confiscated for violating state laws.

Ergo, the Federal and state (NY/NJ) Courts have ruled those are all legal arrests and law enforcement in those states have done nothing wrong.

So until, SCOTUS decides on the matter, in the North-East USA, FOPA is an affirmative defense to be used at trial and does not protect you from arrest.

Crying shame, ain't it? I guess I'm just so use to picking up my keys, wallet, watch, and strapping on my sidearm when I exit my home that it doesn't cross my mind about what folks have to put up with in New Jersey... or most other states for that matter. Here this is barely more eyebrow raising than breathing air.

For example, this morning I had to pick up some things at my local Costco. Then I went to a local grocery store. Gas came after that and a different grocery store for a few more items. All of this while openly carrying a handgun. Not one scream, rush for the door, stare, negative comment, call to the police for MWAG, or being asked to leave. Nothing. I might as well been wearing a tie as carrying a sidearm.

We do see a lot of license plates down here in my neck of the woods from New Jersey and New York. The ones from New Jersey, I've noticed, do tend to stare. Poor people. Too bad they don't know what freedom is.

bear62
07-03-2012, 16:09

Just started reading this thread when I got to the second post ...... I couldn't agree more...... Avoid NJ..... Don't even make a phone call to someone who lives in NJ..... NJ is bad news for anyone who believes in the 2nd Amendment....

Just sayin' .........:wavey:

broncobuddha1
07-06-2012, 13:02
No. Just no. I didn't even read the question in the OP. All I saw was NJ, which means every answer to any question is no.:whistling:

And I don't get the vilification of hollow points. What's more important? Trying to reduce the damage done to someone who's own actions caused them to bring lethal force down on themselves or protecting the lives of innocents who may be harmed if your FMJ sails through a criminal and into them? idiots.