First Aid Kit CASES, anyone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First Aid Kit CASES, anyone?

John Rambo
06-30-2012, 10:51
So, we all know to stuff our first aid kits with tampons and duct tape, but what about the case its in? Who's got some feedback on those? I used an old case for a handheld game console - it was surprisingly roomy. Lots of straps and compartments. Held everything I knew how to use and then some. But, I started diving recently and lets just say it didn't play nice with the saltwater.

So, in the market for a new case. What really stands up to the elements that you'd recommend? Bonus for being water resistent/proof.

thetoastmaster
06-30-2012, 11:31
How big is your kit? My largest kit fills a Rubbermaid tote, may smallest fits in a travel soap box.

I'm looking to get a Eagle Industries or Tactical Tailor medical bag; but then again, I am an RN, and have need for a bigger bag, with more stuff.

Docmusolf
06-30-2012, 11:35
Pelican case makes a great first aid box highly recommend it we used them in africa and iraq no issues about bullet proof. Pricey but good. For something simple you can go with 5.11 bag they have it on sale for 12 dollars now.

racerford
06-30-2012, 12:31
Have you looked on Major Surplus?

They have a 4 piece Swedish set of bags that may be of interest. Loud color so that may not work for you.

quake
06-30-2012, 17:24
How big is your kit? My largest kit fills a Rubbermaid tote, may smallest fits in a travel soap box.
Same here except substitute 'altoids tin' for 'travel soap box'. The main one is a biggish rubbermaid tote.

thetoastmaster
06-30-2012, 19:16
Same here except substitute 'altoids tin' for 'travel soap box'. The main one is a biggish rubbermaid tote.

I still have a five year-old and a two year-old. I need more Band-Aids than will fit in an Altoids tin. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

quake
06-30-2012, 20:11
I still have a five year-old and a two year-old...
They're cute at that age; enjoy them.

I remember when my boys were cute. They're big horrific yetis now... :homer: :teddy:

BR549
06-30-2012, 20:54
Pelican. +1

Try to find a local place to look at them so you can pick the size you want/need. They are great for electronics also.

Carry16
06-30-2012, 21:44
I keep large general purpose kits in all my vehicles including my motorcycle. For the van, and both cars I use Craftsman red poly toolboxes. They come in two sizes, the large is $15 and the smaller is $10 or so - at K-mart, not Sears. http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-20-in-plastic-tool-box/p-005W059918211212P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

They have lots of room and the red is a great color for a first aid kit. I put yellow labels on them with 1" bold letters to indicate they are a FAK.

For the bike I use a large MTM orange Survivor Dry Box Amazon.com: MTM Survivor Dry Box with O-Ring Seal: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411bGV8lVcL.@@AMEPARAM@@411bGV8lVcL

heyman
07-01-2012, 17:14
Soft sided tackle boxes. Comes in all sizes. Lots of pockets and plastic trays to keep organized.

bob98247
07-01-2012, 18:36
These guys make nice stuff: http://www.conterra-inc.com/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=65

GWG19
07-01-2012, 20:26
50 Cal ammo cans.

ric0123
07-01-2012, 23:23
At home I've finally outgrown the 50 CD nylon case I've been using for the last 10 years. Right now I'm using the orange 'Homer' tool box from home depot. It was about $9. The top tray is nice for small stuff like scissors, forcepts, small bottles of neosporin. etc. . Though, the inside is smaller than you'd think that it is. The up side is, they are CHEAP. I've outgrown the first one already, about to buy a second one for my overflow (damn buy one get one 50% at walgreens).

+1 for rubbermaid

I love pelican cases, I use them all the time at work, but they are too expensive for something like a first aid kit IMO, considering the contents are so cheap. You'll probably spend 3x the money on the pelican than all of the contents inside it.

Though, if you're set on that, look up Vanguard cases or PLATT cases. Similar, not so mil spec, but 1/2 to 1/3 the cost

John Rambo
07-02-2012, 12:01
I keep large general purpose kits in all my vehicles including my motorcycle. For the van, and both cars I use Craftsman red poly toolboxes. They come in two sizes, the large is $15 and the smaller is $10 or so - at K-mart, not Sears. http://www.kmart.com/craftsman-20-in-plastic-tool-box/p-005W059918211212P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7

They have lots of room and the red is a great color for a first aid kit. I put yellow labels on them with 1" bold letters to indicate they are a FAK.

For the bike I use a large MTM orange Survivor Dry Box Amazon.com: MTM Survivor Dry Box with O-Ring Seal: Sports & Outdoors (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KENWZY/ref=asc_df_B002KENWZY2077834?smid=A1UY1D8R2NF4AM&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002KENWZY&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=20946548441043648099&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=)

That MTM box was absolutely perfect. Perfect size, perfect cost, perfect setup. I bought one along with some reflective tape to stick on it and its going to be my diving first-aid kit. Thanks!

Also, thanks for the other replies. I've also got to put together a considerably larger first aid kit for camping and hunting, the other advice will help for that. Since we only do day trips on the boat its mostly trauma management, thats perfect to hold what I need.

BR549
07-02-2012, 12:23
At home I've finally outgrown the 50 CD nylon case I've been using for the last 10 years. Right now I'm using the orange 'Homer' tool box from home depot. It was about $9. The top tray is nice for small stuff like scissors, forcepts, small bottles of neosporin. etc. . Though, the inside is smaller than you'd think that it is. The up side is, they are CHEAP. I've outgrown the first one already, about to buy a second one for my overflow (damn buy one get one 50% at walgreens).

+1 for rubbermaid

I love pelican cases, I use them all the time at work, but they are too expensive for something like a first aid kit IMO, considering the contents are so cheap. You'll probably spend 3x the money on the pelican than all of the contents inside it.

Though, if you're set on that, look up Vanguard cases or PLATT cases. Similar, not so mil spec, but 1/2 to 1/3 the cost

I think you missed the point.

Carry16
07-02-2012, 13:12
One other tip I find handy is using Ziploc vacuum seal bags for packing up things like Kerlix, Providine and Coban tapes. Not only does it prevent leaks it compresses the Kerlix so it takes up less space. The bags keep everything clean and can be reused and aren't too expensive at Wal-Mart.

Dirk Pitt
07-02-2012, 13:48
Someone earlier mentioned Major Surplus and here is a link to a first aid kit.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/M-3-Medical-First-Aid-Bag-Kit-P13914.aspx

I did not buy this kit, it actually doesn't look to bad, but what I purchased is the bag in came in (empty). It has 3 major pockets which I filled on my own and this is what is in my truck. I have another big bag at home that I purchase through Galls.

The bag from majorsurplus works great and holds alot of stuff. I have used it many times with the boy scouts and all of their bo bo's.

trashcat
07-02-2012, 14:52
I put together a basic one using a lunch sized soft cooler. Water resistant, cheap, and it has a shoulder strap.