New G20SF added to the carry rotation [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : New G20SF added to the carry rotation

Opie 1 Kenopie
06-30-2012, 12:33
After reading about all the fun y'all are having out there with your 20s, I thought I'd add one to my collection. About a year ago I picked up a G29SF and LOVE that little monster.

On the way home yesterday I'm fondling the 20SF and wow, what a hand cannon that thing is. I can't wait for cooler weather to CCW this thing! I also plan on using the frame for aG21 upper since I'm a huge 30/21 fan for carry.

So what loads do you guys prefer for "'round town" in your 20s? I've. been using silvertips in the 29 for daily duty, and some heavy Swampfox 200 gr. XTP for backpacking. Now to get the stuff to start reloading for this beast.

_The_Shadow
06-30-2012, 13:06
Which variety of SwampFox do you have? Is it the 1240 fps or the 1325 fps?

You SilverTips should provide for your needs for "'round town" travels, if colder temps bring on heavy jackets and layers of clothes you my want the 200's...

Opie 1 Kenopie
06-30-2012, 14:55
Thanks Shadow. That's about what I figured. When carrying the .40 or .45s, I usually go with heavier loads in the winter for just that reason.

I'm not sure which Swampfox Ive got. I'll check when I get home. Currently in the big city with a crew of Waterpolo girls. Carrying aG30 backed up with a spare 13 round magazine. Will switch back to the 29sf/20sf combo tonight for travel the rest of the week.

alwaysshootin
06-30-2012, 16:25
For carry in the 29 or 20, I like anything using XTP's in the 165 grain! Not to heavy, not to much recoil, plenty of penetration, and yet not too much. Just right! I have both the 20, and 29, I'll have to admit, my favorites, but since acquiring the 29, it will be my EDC, no matter the time of year. Absolutely, positively, the best of carry weapons I could consider carrying. Of course, now there is a 4th Gen G20 hitting the market, and well, I'm just going to have to get one!:whistling:

bac1023
06-30-2012, 20:28
Congrats on the G20.

Opie 1 Kenopie
06-30-2012, 20:36
Ha! I knew BAC1023 would be along with his congrats. No wonder he's up to 67K+ posts.

I was going to wait for the Gen4s to hit my area, but the money was in hand, and with the wife knowing I had it, I figured I'd better use it or it'd evaporate at Target. You guys know how it goes.

Plus, I'm a big fan of the SF frames and find they fit my mitts perfectly. I'd like to try the new badass RSA setups, but I'm not recoil sensitive (like it in fact) so I think this ol' Gen3 will serve me just fine.

ccoprdc
07-20-2012, 03:17
Opie, have you had a chance to run a few rounds through your new 20SF yet?
I have had my 29 since the mid 2000's and love it, but I'm currently looking at
picking up a 20 or 20SF now myself. Have you had any reliability issues
with the SF? I have read/heard that some of the SF's are picky and problematic.

Congrats on your purchase... let us know how things stack up.

ccoprdc
(aka David)

nickE10mm
07-20-2012, 10:30
... but the money was in hand, and with the wife knowing I had it, I figured I'd better use it or it'd evaporate at Target. You guys know how it goes.

I'm familiar with that, yes.

As for CCW ammo, I keep Hornady 165gr FTX (Critical Defense) hollowpoints in my G29sf. I don't think it makes too much difference what CCW ammo I use. Not only will I probably never use it, but its a .40sw plus some, so it is plenty powerful enough.

I keep handloads in my HD G20sf... it varies but i have 135gr Noslers over a fat load of powder currently.

walrus108
07-22-2012, 16:08
Ha! I knew BAC1023 would be along with his congrats. No wonder he's up to 67K+ posts.

I was going to wait for the Gen4s to hit my area, but the money was in hand, and with the wife knowing I had it, I figured I'd better use it or it'd evaporate at Target. You guys know how it goes.

Plus, I'm a big fan of the SF frames and find they fit my mitts perfectly. I'd like to try the new badass RSA setups, but I'm not recoil sensitive (like it in fact) so I think this ol' Gen3 will serve me just fine.

I did the exact same thing! Got the all clear and decided not to wait for the fourth gen. I got to do a side by side with a new glock 21 4th gen and the 20sf. The grip was it the same except for the texture. It has to be 1 of the last third gen G20's made. It has some fourth gen parts inside of it. Shot it for the first time today. Very nice.

I carrying it with 135 grain underwood ammo which I tested today. Ran flawlessly!

Fire_Medic
07-22-2012, 20:17
I did the exact same thing! Got the all clear and decided not to wait for the fourth gen. I got to do a side by side with a new glock 21 4th gen and the 20sf. The grip was it the same except for the texture. It has to be 1 of the last third gen G20's made. It has some fourth gen parts inside of it. Shot it for the first time today. Very nice.

I carrying it with 135 grain underwood ammo which I tested today. Ran flawlessly!

Which parts in your are Gen 4?

walrus108
07-23-2012, 08:57
Which parts in your are Gen 4?

The entire trigger assembly is 4th gen. Not sure when they started to use these parts but it has the new trigger bar with the bump where it contacts the safety plunger. It also has a slightly different bend to the pin on the trigger housing. If you fail to control muzzle flip, the shells go right over your right shoulder! Maybe this is why so many vids are coming around showing the 4th gen's ejecting shells into peoples faces. I didn't have a problem, but my 11yo daughter's shells were hitting me in the face, and I was directly behind her! I may get the older trigger housing. I think they tended to eject more to the side, which would make brass gathering easier for me. As it is, when I shoot it at my local range, the shells fly straight up, hit the ceiling, and go everywhere.