Noob hammer question? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Noob hammer question?

Eric2340
06-30-2012, 13:04
1911 noob here -

Other than preference and appearance, what are the difference / reasons for the different styles of hammers on 1911s? Spur, skeletonized, ring, etc. ?

Thanks -

jakebrake
06-30-2012, 13:18
i like skeletonized, because the standard spur always digs into my skin when i carry.

a lot of posters here will scoff at that. and that's ok.

Veedubklown
06-30-2012, 22:57
The spur hammer was the original, GI issue. The commander (round, rowl, whatever. It's round, with a hole in it) was later, for the commander issue, and was rounded to deal with the hammer-bite issue. The skelontonized hammers were made because they're lighter, and it has something to do with lock-up times, or some crap like that. Similar in principle to the titanium strikers in glocks, but I can't remember what the point was, other than pouring money into your guns. At least you get to see the hammer! I have the skelontonized hammer on my 1911, and I like it, but I wouldn't pay the cost to convert my hi-power to it from the rounded hammer. It's just personal preference at that point, I believe. Hopefully someone comes in who can articulate my point better.

glock2740
06-30-2012, 23:11
i like skeletonized, because the standard spur always digs into my skin when i carry.

a lot of posters here will scoff at that. and that's ok.
I agree.

fnfalman
06-30-2012, 23:36
The spur hammer also causes hammer bite in conjunction with the little nib that is part of the grip safety. Doesn't happen to everybody, but happens enough with other folks, hence the skeletonized hammer/round Commander hammer coupled with ducktail grip safety/beaver tail grip safety.

Eric2340
07-01-2012, 06:00
Ok, so the only difference then between ring style and skeletonized ones is preference then?

Thanks -

fnfalman
07-01-2012, 06:26
Ok, so the only difference then between ring style and skeletonized ones is preference then?

Thanks -

I'm sure that the technical people would say that the skeletonized/kidney hammer is better than the donut Commander style for one reason or another, but to me either seem to work just fine.

People used to grind off the spur from the GI hammer back in the days, then they realized that they've ground off so much that the hammer lost the weight needed to make positive ignition on the primers. Then Colt came out with the Commander model with the round hammer.

People still unhappy with the smallish grip safety projection so they started coming out with beavertail safety. Colt came out with the duck tail safety (essentially a beavertail that isn't upswept high enough), but recently decided to fit a beavertail grip safety to everything now.

Of course the upsweep on the beavertail grip safety isn't of standard dimension either, so usually it's best to get a hammer from the same manufacturer as the beavertail grip safety. That way the hammer won't protrude down too far and hit the beavertail grip safety before the gun is fully cocked.

bac1023
07-01-2012, 06:29
Well, the extended beavertail doesn't work with a spurred hammer.

nastytrigger
07-01-2012, 20:34
Call me crazy, but what about a spur-less, flush, hammer on a 1911? I'm sure it's been done (not counting Para's DAO 1911). I kind of like the idea, since I never lower my hammer by hand. No hammer bite, "high-speed, low drag".

Veedubklown
07-01-2012, 21:54
http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2010/09/stminikim_112106c.jpg

Looks pokey.

nastytrigger
07-01-2012, 22:14
http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2010/09/stminikim_112106c.jpg

Looks pokey.

Definitely not pretty.