Digressing to the issue of horizontally carried holsters. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Digressing to the issue of horizontally carried holsters.

Lakota
06-30-2012, 16:16
Dear Mas:
My wife and I recently saw a documentary-narration where a circumstance of a surreptitious BG flanking a CCW, the former demanding that the latter surrender his wallet - the BG had already drawn blood from the good guy's back. The CCW - I'm not sure if he was a cop or not -verbally complied, while reaching under his jacket, where he snapped the safety off his .45 Kimber and aligned himself to cause his firearm to be pointed at center mass of the BG, whereupon the CCW double tapped the bad guy.

This is based on a true event. There were witnesses and the 'shooter' was exonerated by a Grand Jury. Moreover, I'm confident that this sort of scenario has unfolded on many - however countless - occasions.

This post is to let you - and others - know that the described occasion, combined with your previous advocation of horizontal carry, has definitely made me a horizontal (clamshell) carry advocate. :wavey:

Best regards to you and yours,
- Lakota

Mas Ayoob
07-02-2012, 02:57
Having a little trouble picturing how slide would operate and ejection would take place inside the holster, not to mention how its covered trigger guard could be operated. That said, Chic Gaylord wrote about a similar shooting with one of his shoulder holsters and a revolver, that apparently happened back in the Fifties.

While I suppose it's theoretically possible, shooting through the shoulder holster to the rear is gonna be tough to practice for. It will also be tough to assess backstop for the shot, and an overweight guy with a short gun might take some of his own flesh with the discharge.

Safe to say this strategy probably isn't Plan A,
Mas

Lakota
07-02-2012, 06:57
Tenable conjecture here is that the good guy withdrew the weapon from holster just far enough to clear it from (otherwise inevitable) obstruction(s) and enable him to avoid the obstacle(s) that you have (understandably) introduced.

I understand and acknowledge your (characteristicallly) vigilant consideration of the exemplary, less hampered tactical maneuver with a revolver.

I do not know if the muzzle end of the holster was open or stitched shut.

Best regards,
- Lakota