Problems found with FNS-9 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Problems found with FNS-9

Boot Stomper
06-30-2012, 17:25
I am a fan of FNH and love my FNX-40, but the new striker fire pistols seem to have a problem. I personally tried disassembling one in a gun store and the slide hangs up really bad.

The trigger of the FNS is grainy which was really disappointing since the FNX trigger is so sweet. I think the gun will be a great gun, but FN need to iron out the bugs.

Check out the article and the videos

http://www.activeresponsetraining.net/my-take-on-the-fn-s-striker-fire-pistol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AicVIt_PNLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h2KvmbzfmmI

Decguns
06-30-2012, 17:44
I think the trigger on my FNX is kind of crappy... all those gizmo's attached to the trigger bar create quite a funky hitch at the beginning of the single action trigger pull. You don't notice it from your armchair by merely cocking the hammer. When you rack the slide, resetting the trigger bar alignment just as it would during firing, then you'll feel the mushy creep as you move all the gizmo's back into firing position. I look forward to someone coming out with an aftermarket trigger for this pistol.

Boot Stomper
07-04-2012, 07:34
Thanks for your feed back. The FNX SA/DA trigger is very good when you remember its a $500 to $600 gun (I paid $460).

You can get a better trigger, but you are then in the $800 to $1500 range. Whether it is Sig Sauer or a 1911.

The purpose of this post was to inform Glock Talkers about the issues with the FNS series of pistols. Not to debate triggers pull.

majette
07-04-2012, 08:28
Thanks for your feed back. The FNX SA/DA trigger is very good when you remember its a $500 to $600 gun (I paid $460).

You can get a better trigger, but you are then in the $800 to $1500 range. Whether it is Sig Sauer or a 1911.

the BEST striker fired pistol trigger is the walther ppq. they are about 550.00.

NickC50310
07-04-2012, 09:53
My FNX-40 has a GREAT trigger. Especially for a $500 gun!

Wow! Thats not good for that slide locking up like that! I had considered an FNS but have since decided on an XDM compact. They need to get those kinks worked out pronto! Thankfully in about 1200 to 1500 rounds through my FNX I havent had a single malfuntion of any kind.

Foxtrotx1
07-04-2012, 12:37
Wait, did you watch the video? The guy manually reset the trigger WITHOUT racking the slide. He caused it to fail. How is that a flaw?????

07-04-2012, 12:37
I think the trigger on my FNX is kind of crappy... all those gizmo's attached to the trigger bar create quite a funky hitch at the beginning of the single action trigger pull. You don't notice it from your armchair by merely cocking the hammer. When you rack the slide, resetting the trigger bar alignment just as it would during firing, then you'll feel the mushy creep as you move all the gizmo's back into firing position. I look forward to someone coming out with an aftermarket trigger for this pistol.
Agree with you about the FNX trigger. My personal one, before I sold it to a buddy, was exactly as you described. Others that I have played with at the fun show were the same. Get enough trigger time with various brands and models, and you realize what a crappy trigger is.

Foxtrotx1
07-04-2012, 12:42
Agree with you about the FNX trigger. My personal one, before I sold it to a buddy, was exactly as you described. Others that I have played with at the fun show were the same. Get enough trigger time with various brands and models, and you realize what a crappy trigger is.

Are you guys referring to the FNS or FNX? the later has a solid trigger, no gizmos.

SuperSport
07-04-2012, 12:45
the BEST striker fired pistol trigger is the walther ppq. they are about 550.00.

Pretty bold statement but hey, it's your opinion. Quite a few striker fired pistols out there - hope you tried them all before making that statement.

I handled and dry fired the FNS series and the trigger was ok. Coming from Glock - that's what I'm used to but with practice and due diligence I'm sure it can be tolerated.

Caracal and Steyr have pretty good triggers with IMHO leaning more toward the Steyr. But like navels - everybody's got one.

Hope FNH corrects the issue - read they were pushing hard for LEO and Military contracts.

Foxtrotx1
07-04-2012, 13:50
Pretty bold statement but hey, it's your opinion. Quite a few striker fired pistols out there - hope you tried them all before making that statement.

I handled and dry fired the FNS series and the trigger was ok. Coming from Glock - that's what I'm used to but with practice and due diligence I'm sure it can be tolerated.

Caracal and Steyr have pretty good triggers with IMHO leaning more toward the Steyr. But like navels - everybody's got one.

Hope FNH corrects the issue - read they were pushing hard for LEO and Military contracts.

To be fair, if you surf around, hes not the only one saying that.

SuperSport
07-04-2012, 14:15
To be fair, if you surf around, hes not the only one saying that.

Handled, fired and good friend picked up a 1st edition PPQ. Nice pistol with nice ergo's and trigger. But the best? Relative and matter of opinion.

Comedian
07-04-2012, 16:42

Opinion noted. Mine is that the Caracal is the best in that category. This after having shot the PPQ, FNS, G17 & 19, M&P, XDM and Caracal. The Caracal beats them all for me. And they are going for $400 to $450 currently.

SuperSport
07-04-2012, 20:25
Opinion noted. Mine is that the Caracal is the best in that category. This after having shot the PPQ, FNS, G17 & 19, M&P, XDM and Caracal. The Caracal beats them all for me. And they are going for $400 to $450 currently.

Comedian - have you shot or felt the trigger on the Steyr M9-A1 9mm? I like the site picture on the Caracal - something different and the triangle scheme makes sense. Kinda like fit the blocks. Is there aftermarket site mfg's for them? Based how the rear sites are - just wondering.

Chowser
07-05-2012, 00:49
I saw this video and I still ordered an FNS-9. It should be here in a few days. I'll see if I can "replicate" his problem during malfunction training.

Boot Stomper
07-06-2012, 06:39
I saw this video and I still ordered an FNS-9. It should be here in a few days. I'll see if I can "replicate" his problem during malfunction training.

Thanks, please let us know how your purchase goes. I was thinking about getting one until I saw the video, may wait awhile.

Gary1911A1
07-06-2012, 08:36
My FNS in 9MM has a good trigger. Not as good as my PPQ and about as good as my Caracal Compact. Trigger quality can be subjective to each person and when you factor in the differences in each individual pistol of a certain brand you get a "Ford vs Chevy" type discussion.

Boot Stomper
07-06-2012, 19:32
My FNS in 9MM has a good trigger. Not as good as my PPQ and about as good as my Caracal Compact. Trigger quality can be subjective to each person and when you factor in the differences in each individual pistol of a certain brand you get a "Ford vs Chevy" type discussion.

Does your FNS have the same issues as shown in the above attached videos?

Does pushing the trigger forward lock the slide or hitting the front of the gun lock the slide?

Thanks for the post.:wavey:

Gary1911A1
07-07-2012, 04:23
Does your FNS have the same issues as shown in the above attached videos?

Does pushing the trigger forward lock the slide or hitting the front of the gun lock the slide?

Thanks for the post.:wavey:

Yes, both of the problems shown in the two videos. I guess it's just the way the striker system in the FNS is designed. I don't know if FN will loose out on any military/LE contracts because of it. I won't carry it for self defense as while we all know we shouldn't use our pistol as a impact weapon it happens.:whistling:

attrapereves
07-07-2012, 12:44
I owned a FNP-45 a while ago and was not impressed at all. I had many problems with it. Also, mags were impossible to find at the time.

Boot Stomper
07-08-2012, 14:49
Yes, both of the problems shown in the two videos. I guess it's just the way the striker system in the FNS is designed. I don't know if FN will loose out on any military/LE contracts because of it. I won't carry it for self defense as while we all know we shouldn't use our pistol as a impact weapon it happens.:whistling:

Thanks for the post. Maybe FN will pull a Ruger and redesign the trigger to be like Glock.

Ruger's problem with the SR9 was with the drop safety and rounds going off when the trigger was not pulled. Oops :dunno:

4Rules
07-08-2012, 19:49
Here is another FNS video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4stgXss0gc

:supergrin:

Boot Stomper
07-11-2012, 08:13
Here is another FNS video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4stgXss0gc

:supergrin:

Great video.

checkyoursix
07-11-2012, 09:08

Last Saturday somebody offered me to try the Caracal and I said ya right with a grin like "I need another striker pistol like I need another teen daughter".

Got to say, and this comes from a guy who sold his PPQ, that the Caracal I shot - full size, 9 mm - left me with an excellent impression. The trigger is brilliant, because is crisp and short without being "crazy short".

Now, who had the idea to integrate the sights like that?

fnfalman
07-11-2012, 09:19
Wait till Springfield get a hold of the Caracal and rename it to something like "XS" and then jack the price up 100%.

oldman11
07-11-2012, 10:28
Wait, did you watch the video? The guy manually reset the trigger WITHOUT racking the slide. He caused it to fail. How is that a flaw?????
You're right. He was deliberately making it fail by doing something a shooter would not do under any shooting situations.

Chowser
07-11-2012, 13:49
meh, I could duplicate the guys problem by manually resetting the trigger which never happened during the normal course of shooting. I did some regular malfunction drills and it didn't happen to me.
I've only put 2000 rds of 125gr FMJ through it so far (well, not just me, I had coworkers shoot the snot of the gun as well, so six of us had no issues so far, six different shooters).

IMO, this gun is a keeper. Trigger feels smooth and is similar to our Glocks.

Going to clean it today and try again this weekend with some different coworkers. this time I will be using all JHPs.

Comedian
07-11-2012, 17:06
Comedian - have you shot or felt the trigger on the Steyr M9-A1 9mm? I like the site picture on the Caracal - something different and the triangle scheme makes sense. Kinda like fit the blocks. Is there aftermarket site mfg's for them? Based how the rear sites are - just wondering.

I have never tried a Steyr. There are no sight options for the Caracal yet. Im eagerly awaiting night sight options. I just want to put in a tritium front.

Boot Stomper
07-12-2012, 14:15
You're right. He was deliberately making it fail by doing something a shooter would not do under any shooting situations.

I agree, but it is a design issue owners of the FNS should be aware of.

I also found the FNS a pain to disassemble. Any owners here have a comment or trick they learned. From my experience the slide seem to hang up about half-way off the frame.

Foxtrotx1
07-12-2012, 16:37

I also found the FNS a pain to disassemble. Any owners here have a comment or trick they learned. From my experience the slide seem to hang up about half-way off the frame.

how is it a design issue?

Gary1911A1
07-13-2012, 07:00

I have found the same on mine. Hope FN fixes this under a recall.