How often do you clean your pocket carry option? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clean your pocket carry option?

DaBurna
06-30-2012, 22:00
I know it's even MORE critical to keep pocket guns clean b/c of the potential contamination from pocket lint, debris, and etc.... Mine is holstered 100% of the time, but I have noticed pocket lint trying to collect in the hammer area of my LCP. I usually inspect it once a week and clean (air can & disassembly once a week).... What's you guys routine?

Darkangel1846
07-01-2012, 11:36
You should inspect your handgun daily, clean and lub as needed.
PS pay special attention to your magazine.

Droid noob
07-01-2012, 17:26
I usually take a quick glance each time I re arm

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

APERS
07-01-2012, 17:56
I keep my EDC (Kahr CW9) very clean at all times. For the obvious reason of maintenance. Another reason i keep the bore surgical(!) clean is: if I'm ever in the area where there has been a shooting, they can tell very quick that I was not the one who fired. 'Sweets 7.62' is what I use to remove all copper fouling. Works very well, but is ammonia based and directions must be followed to the letter.

Sgt.K
07-01-2012, 20:02
I always turn my pockets inside out and clean what may be accumulating there too.

michael e
07-01-2012, 20:05
I really need to been way to long. Been close to a year since last time I have. But I rarely carry due to the fact I don't actually go anywhere other than work.

jdavionic
07-01-2012, 20:24
Every few days I nail it with some compressed air. Clean it every week with Eezox.

smokin762
07-01-2012, 21:14
I drilled a hole in the basement wall and ran an air hose from the Air Compressor out in the garage. Once a week, I empty my J-frame and lightly blow off the firearm and the holster.

mj9mm
07-01-2012, 21:29
my newest pocket carry is blued, i've been paying close attention to make sure it doesn't get rusted, so it gets cleaned every time i put it away.

Caver 60
07-01-2012, 22:06
Carry a blued P3AT in a Nemeses daily for about 16 hours a day and it stays in my pocket overnight when I take my pants off for bed. Generally shoot a magazine of ammo once or twice a month.

It's never failed to go bang 100% of the time; until I tried a few boxes of TulAmmo for range use. That ruined the 100% streak with a squib load and a failure to fire on the first strike. But that's not the pistols fault IMO.

Anyway it's lucky to get fully cleaned and lubed once every three or four weeks. If I notice a build up of lint, on the exterior areas of the hammer, etc. I'll hit it with a blast from a can of compressed air.

If I decide to fire a box of ammo for practice, I'll field strip, clean, and lube with Lucas (my favorite gun oil and lube) right after that, even if it's been less than a few weeks since the last cleaning.

If I sweat excessively during a particular day, I'll sparingly wipe down the exterior with Lucas at the end of the day. Never had any problem.

John Rambo
07-02-2012, 12:16
I clean my P3AT when I see lint starting to build up under the hammer - unload, take slide off, wipe out the lint and squirt a few drops of oil. Every few times I unload the mag and drop a few drops of oil in there. Probably 4 times a year total, on the high side.

SouthpawG26
07-02-2012, 12:53
On a related subject, if you carry a spare magazine in either your pocket or the dedicated pouch in 5.11 or similar pants, make sure to remove lint collected around the top round once or twice a week.

Because it sits upside down in your pocket, the spare mag is particularly prone to collect some lint.

AquaHull
07-03-2012, 06:32
I clean my LCP bi-monthly.

My Glock hasn't been cleaned this year.

collim1
07-03-2012, 06:52
I am guilty of rarely cleaning my pocket gun. Its dirty and has some surface rust and minor pitting. It also spends alot pf time on my ankle while working so it has a rough life.